lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Ubisoft plans to require constant net connection just to play their games
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #81
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan 411 View Post
I personally think E.A's method of fighting pricey is better then any other methods of DRM that I can think of. Cerberus Network = FTW. Ubisoft lost all their brain-cells when they started developing their own unique pricey resistances. We should applaud them for making a successful pricey resistance's method that has absolutely no flaws and is 100% perfect.

Yeah, I'm done being sarcastic.

In all seriousness though, I think every PC game out there should use a combination of E.A's and Valve's method. Release free DLC to first hand copy owners and have people activate the game online via Steam. That way, you not only stop pricey, but you also have the legitimate consumers more happier with their products. Although, I seriously hope that developers don't release PC games online only for purchase. Unlike most of you, I prefer owning a retail copy. At least I can buy those.

Because.. I'm under 18. And don't have a credit card to buy online.
You can pay by debit or pre-paid/gift cards.

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #82
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan 411 View Post
I personally think E.A's method of fighting pricey is better then any other methods of DRM that I can think of. Cerberus Network = FTW. Ubisoft lost all their brain-cells when they started developing their own unique pricey resistances. We should applaud them for making a successful pricey resistance's method that has absolutely no flaws and is 100% perfect.

Yeah, I'm done being sarcastic.

In all seriousness though, I think every PC game out there should use a combination of E.A's and Valve's method. Release free DLC to first hand copy owners and have people activate the game online via Steam. That way, you not only stop pricey, but you also have the legitimate consumers more happier with their products. Although, I seriously hope that developers don't release PC games online only for purchase. Unlike most of you, I prefer owning a retail copy. At least I can buy those.

Because.. I'm under 18. And don't have a credit card to buy online.
It's "piracy".

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #83
Revan 411
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Bart Lasiter View Post
You can pay by debit or pre-paid/gift cards.
I forgot to mention that I don't have a debit card and I have absolutely no idea on where I can buy steam gift cards. But we can discuss about this later. Right now, I just want to get back to the topic at hand.

Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #84
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Interview with Gabe Newell

Listen at 3:31.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #85
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Ubisoft and all other game companies should listen and heed what Gabe says!!!

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2010, 11:52 PM   #86
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
That was on aussie TV

Gabe must be talking about the US market ?

"every one has a $2000 pc, and pays $50/month for an internet connection"

The gaming market in Asia and Eastern Europe is huge - but not easily measurable in terms of PC game sales. In places like Russia, China and S. Korea, Thailand etc *millions* of folks play at internet gaming cafes, for the tune of a few bucks an hour(less if you currency convert)

Steam isn't entirely the best comparison when you want to talk about offline gaming options for SP games. Less restrictive than ubi's current position of course, but still restrictive.

The days of having your SP game on a disc, installing it and playing it without hindrance is going to be something we'll tell our grandkids about 'that's how they did it in the ole days'

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 03-09-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #87
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
On put out console releases?
Well obviously this doesn't effect me since I'm primarily a console gamer But I gotta look out for my PC bro's n ho's. The restrictions consoles have placed on them are numerous (even without our noticing) but the people seem to accept it all since it's all on pre-made machines. You can't do that with PC gamers though considering that most PC gamers have built their own machine and want things to work their own way.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #88
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Hunger View Post
In terms of DRM, Steam is the only functional system. It actually rewards gamers for using it by giving them the ability to preserve their game indefinitely online. All you need is a Steam account and a credit card.
Your'e kidding me right? Steam is total crap when it comes to privacy. What Ubisoft proposes isn't any better, of course.

If this is the course of PC gaming (or gaming at all), I quit (there's plenty of other things to do anyway). I don't f* need anyone to know when I am in front of my screen or when I'm not, what's on my comp and what's not. I remember Ubisoft asking me to run a diagnosis tool on my comp for a game which would have provided them with the names of all the files on my PC including private client files which were protected by law...had to end up editing the contents of the f*** reports manually during hours and arguing with them about the edits and that was about 5-6 yrs ago...can't imagine what it would be today or if I wouldn't have known what those reports meant regarding the transmission of info... uh...you don't want (or maybe you want) to see a file name referring to company x buying y or other similar transactions & the like. Still since that event, I have a comp dedicated to gaming and other completely useless stuff only (the most useful and secret thing to find on my personal comp is a killer chocolate pudding recipe...).

Nevertheless, what I do when I'm online and how fast or slow I am in taking down a target, which what hardware/software isn't their damn business (not anymore than it takes me to read the page of a book) unless I want to give them that info willingly.
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2010, 12:36 AM   #89
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333 View Post
Your'e kidding me right? Steam is total crap when it comes to privacy. What Ubisoft proposes isn't any better, of course.

If this is the course of PC gaming (or gaming at all), I quit (there's plenty of other things to do anyway). I don't f* need anyone to know when I am in front of my screen or when I'm not, what's on my comp and what's not (I remember Ubisoft asking me to run a diagnosis tool on my comp for a game which would have provided them with the names of all the files on my PC including private client files which are protected by law...had to end up editing the contents of the f*** reports manually during hours and arguing with them and that was at least 5-6 yrs ago...can't imagine what it would be today or if I wouldn't have known what those reports meant regarding the transmission of info )
I agree, except I'm too weak willed to resist steam when they have a really good sale on a good game. There's a reason why 90% of the time I'm logged on, I set myself to offline mode. As for various games and their installers scanning my entire pc, I've actually ended up modifying installers and/or keeping my internet connection unplugged during installs etc., in order to prevent it as much as possible, despite the fact that my work and play pcs are completely seperate.

I will admit, however, that steam is very good for coordinating games with others, and it hasn't done anything too invasive yet on my PC. I still find it funny when some people claim that Steam isn't DRM. It's one of the strictest kinds (especially since offline mode is so tempermental), but it's been wrapped up in a layer of useful functionality and user-friendliness that many don't even realize it.

Edit: However this is far more important:
Quote:
killer chocolate pudding recipe...
I already have ChAiNz's cookie recipe, and this would add to my collection. Please?

--Too Dumb to Quit--

Last edited by Liverandbacon; 03-10-2010 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Food is serious business.
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2010, 03:28 AM   #90
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
Edit: However this is far more important:

Quote:
killer chocolate pudding recipe....
I already have ChAiNz's cookie recipe, and this would add to my collection. Please?
Show spoiler

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2010, 05:29 AM   #91
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
Steam isn't entirely the best comparison when you want to talk about offline gaming options for SP games.
My point was not to promote Steam (I hate it), instead of this crappy Ubi's DRM. My point was to show one guy of this industry saying how these stupid DRM schemes help to increase piracy, and how the solution is to listen to the consumer, and see why they do piracy. Of course he failed by saying the price is not a problem.

Quote:

If this is the course of PC gaming (or gaming at all), I quit (there's plenty of other things to do anyway). I don't f* need anyone to know when I am in front of my screen or when I'm not, what's on my comp and what's not. I remember Ubisoft asking me to run a diagnosis tool on my comp for a game which would have provided them with the names of all the files on my PC including private client files which were protected by law...had to end up editing the contents of the f*** reports manually during hours and arguing with them about the edits and that was about 5-6 yrs ago...can't imagine what it would be today or if I wouldn't have known what those reports meant regarding the transmission of info... uh...you don't want (or maybe you want) to see a file name referring to company x buying y or other similar transactions & the like. Still since that event, I have a comp dedicated to gaming and other completely useless stuff only (the most useful and secret thing to find on my personal comp is a killer chocolate pudding recipe...).

Nevertheless, what I do when I'm online and how fast or slow I am in taking down a target, which what hardware/software isn't their damn business (not anymore than it takes me to read the page of a book) unless I want to give them that info willingly.
This.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #92
Darth333
Administraterror

@ Mav:

Yuk!

Quote:
Show spoiler

Now you know all my secrets
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #93
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:
@ Mav:
Yuk!

Show spoiler

Now you know all my secrets
This is true! I took one mouthful of the pudding, and suddenly I had a true understanding of scripting, instead of the half-understanding I have right now. I also gained some memories of a vacation in Belize , but will not reveal any details as I am a fine upstanding fellow, and fear to incur swift and fiery wrath. Your secrets are safe as I still draw breath.

And to at least keep of the pretense of being on topic: At this point I wouldn't be surprised if companies tried to make DNA-locked drm in the future. You can only play if you give a little blood, which must be re-submitted into a handy receptor every half hour. Impractical perhaps, but since when has that stopped the entertainment industry in its quest to make fair use a thing of the past?

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Old 03-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #94
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk
my bros n hos
I am female and thus not a bro.
I am definitely NOT a ho.

@ D3--Yeah, Bioware will discover that my character has 'licked the lamp post' with Alistair 52 times, stands around in Denerim or Orzammar or camp for hours at a time doing absolutely nothing (while I nap or make and serve dinner), and runs from the Proving grounds to the bridge and back a zillion times with different party members. Occasionally I venture out to kill stuff, too. I agree that none of it is really their business just the same.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Last edited by Jae Onasi; 03-12-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #95
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
@ jae: Seriously, baby, why you gotta be like that?

Old 03-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #96
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
@ jae: Seriously, baby, why you gotta be like that?
Well, I've of course made an exception for you, my chocolate god!

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Old 03-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #97
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
Well, I've of course made an exception for you, my chocolate god!
eww, inappropriate

OT:
The patch for AC2 was causing some bugs in game performance that otherwise were not there when I was using ubis launcher. I havent bothered trying to get a new patch yet because the rig I play on is always online, so I hadnt really noticed the difference.

From a performance perspective, even with my connection currently slowed to dialup speeds, Ive had no issues with the online sync.

Still for those that arent online all the time, good to have the patches around.. just get one that works for your getup

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 03-23-2010, 03:18 AM   #98
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

relevant bumptron: Last weekend I couldn't get onto AC2 (at about 4.30am). I'm quite certain it was the game and not my connection as all my pcs still had net access.

I didn't think much of it, I was tired and went off to sleep. A couple of days later - ubi sent me this, promising me free stuff because of their server outages. I'll believe it when I see it

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 03-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #99
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
"Our goal is to offer you a seamless experience with your game"

Epic Fail.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #100
Jae Onasi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
relevant bumptron: Last weekend I couldn't get onto AC2 (at about 4.30am). I'm quite certain it was the game and not my connection as all my pcs still had net access.

I didn't think much of it, I was tired and went off to sleep. A couple of days later - ubi sent me this, promising me free stuff because of their server outages. I'll believe it when I see it

mtfbwya
I'm sorry to hear you did not have a 'seamless experience' with your game.

Could someone explain to me what the hell a 'seamless experience' is supposed to be, anyway?

Old 03-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #101
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
"Our goal is to offer you a seamless experience with your game"

Epic Fail.
Indeed...
Old 03-24-2010, 12:27 AM   #102
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Could someone explain to me what the hell a 'seamless experience' is supposed to be, anyway?
I'm imagining one which doesn't make you resort to unstable workarounds to bypass draconian DRM measures!

I was just lucky it happened when I wasn't really fussed about it. In the approx. 30+ hours Ive spent on the game it happened once, and never during the game ; just failed to launch in this instance. To tell truth, I've had more glitches in ME2 than this. (shipwreck level, Mira Memory Core level..... arrrgghhh!!!!) Regardless of how neatly implemented the extra content in ME2(cerberus membership), the pc game at least came crashing to a halt several more times than AC2s one fail to launch - I think that is at least worth mentioning. DRM or no, the root cause is still on the devs side, and in ME2's case -despite the patch, these have not been fixed. But I did get through AC2 and ME2, and these glitches never happened during a pivotal moment in the game. I think that type of bugginess goes with the territory in PC gaming. It's what you get when you want to run at 2500x1600 and 16x AF Games are overall much more stable these days since bygone eras though.

For folks that experienced the Ubi server mess-up during sane waking hours - I imagine there would have been some fist waving followed by angry forum posting. Ive come across threads at ubi's official forum that have been closed/wiped full of angry folk.

I'm just curious to see what the ''reward'' will be

Most likely a custom codpiece for ezio

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 03-24-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #103
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
I thought it was along the lines of "double click desktop icon. Play the game."

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2010, 01:09 PM   #104
Web Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Predicted Future of Digital Rights Management
~ Sabretooth
Quote:
2010: Constant Internet Connection required for singleplayer gameplay
CnC4

Quote:
2014: In the rare event that you have bought a game disk, you need to be connected to the Internet to activate the disk after putting it in the drive
No it's already here with Supreme Commander 2 and Mass Effect 2.

Quote:
2020: In the novel "Five-Fold Plan", you need to: Install GFWL, verify your account by linking it to a Steam account, verify that by providing PayPal and credit card details, activating the game through both mediums by using different keys and finally, entering a unique verification number every 1 hour of gameplay and before important boss fights.
Supreme Commander 2 cannot be played without a Steam account, even if you bought the version of the game that comes on a disc, from the store.

----

The internet is great, but when pirates have an easier time playing a game than paying customers, SOMEONE isn't thinking up there.

"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #105
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Just in case anyone was curious what the follow up from ubisoft was - if you got one of their 'sorry' emails you will basically get given unlock codes for the 3 extra missions that came with the black edition of the game.

Better than nuthin' I guess I was hoping for the codpiece tho.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 03-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #106
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
I thought it was along the lines of "double click desktop icon. Play the game."
This...

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #107
Revan 411
Forumite

Well... at least Ubisoft is awarding all those patient PC gamers out there who can put with this whole DRM system. Glad to know they still care about their fan-base and audiences. Unlike most publishers. (I'm looking at you Activision.)

Old 03-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #108
True_Avery
Banned

Its amazing how far/backwards we've gone since the Half-life 2 debacle. Then it was just droppingly evil to require an internet verification to start the first time and now... internet access at all time.

Can we please go back 6 years?
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #109
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
It's a nice gesture, but I can imagine that it will have annoyed those who already have the Special Edition and suffered these outages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan 411
Glad to know they still care about their fan-base and audiences.
If they cared as much as they say they do, they'd drop this stupid idea.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #110
swphreak
My cabbages!!!

10 year veteran! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I like how Ubisoft reps outright lie and say that pirates haven't broke their DRM.
swphreak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #111
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
Its amazing how far/backwards we've gone since the Half-life 2 debacle. Then it was just droppingly evil to require an internet verification to start the first time and now... internet access at all time.

Man, that brings back memories. I remember Indian reviewers then were pretty pissed off with Steam because it verified every file on the disk; an innovative idea, but obviously one that was going to suck hugely for third-world markets like India where a minority of gamers have Internet connections, let alone stable and fast ones. The verification process reportedly took about a couple hours on the speeds back then, which were probably 128k. And that's assuming your Internet didn't randomly disconnect and flip you off.

This actually encouraged Half-Life 2's piracy more than anything - everyone I know who played Half-Life 2 played it pirated, the only people who actually bought it did so with the Orange Box today. The knowledge that you needed an Internet connection to even install a singleplayer game turned off thousands of potential customers.

These new DRM tactics are practically begging to be pirated. I know that I can't play them - my Internet tends to disconnect once a day or go down for maintenance or something. And that's just me - never mind the many gamers who still don't have Internet connections, or still have 128k connections on a pay-per-use plan. The obvious answer is to waltz over to the nearest pirated software seller and buy a copy to take home.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2010, 02:18 AM   #112
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
It's a nice gesture, but I can imagine that it will have annoyed those who already have the Special Edition and suffered these outages.
The black edition of the PC version is as rare as hen's teeth. I imagine my reg code would have indicated that I have the paupers edition

Quote:
I like how Ubisoft reps outright lie and say that pirates haven't broke their DRM.
They haven't broken anything entirely. Those who have the PC version are free to try the patches out there. Ive tried them all, and whilst allowing you to play through the game off a local save - are not without their problems. I didn't go back to the ubi launcher for fun The uplay framework and some mysterious buildings in the game marked with its logo indicate that some MP expansion is due - one can only hope they will make things more lax on the SP requirements when this comes into effect.

It was lucky I did, otherwise I wouldn't have this free stuff when their servers died hehe Being an art history nerd and having just completed an article on Donatello's David(click sig logo if interested)- I got a thrill when I got into the Palazzo de Medici and saw this....

so, cheers to those pirates/hackers and their $hit workarounds.

At the end of the day, I dont think ubi's online verification system would be as malgned if they adjusted the frequency of the checks rather than having it 'always on'. In that way it would be similar to folks on steam or even things like cable TV which send device identifier checks through their broadcast transport stream.

Sure, there's always workarounds and hacks - it human nature to try and undo things other have created. The same persons we are lauding for 'breaking the DRM' are the same idiots that got us here in the first place.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 03-27-2010 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #113
Revan 411
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
If they cared as much as they say they do, they'd drop this stupid idea.
Yeah, I know. But still, its nice to see that their still support all their PC fan-base with awards like these... Maybe in a few years, they'll probably drop the whole DRM system eventually.

Quote:
Unfortunately, Assassin's Creed 2 hasn't been cracked yet. I think Silent Hunter V is the only Ubisoft game with this DRM that has been cracked.

Quote:
The same persons we are lauding for 'breaking the DRM' are the same idiots that got us here in the first place.
And its the same idiotic developers who tries so desperately hard to punish honest PC gamers out there while pirates crack the system and have no trouble playing it whatsoever. The point is; Its the developers at fault here, not the pirates. Most of them are just simple people who are pissed off about the whole DRM system and doesn't want anything involved with having a server tracking all your actions and movements in a single player game in the first place so what do they do? Pirate. And if every, single, developer out there were like Valve and didn't care at all about piracy, then this sorta sh** wouldn't happen in the first place and PC gamers would be buying more and more games out there.

Last edited by Revan 411; 03-27-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #114
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post

I was just thinking about that. I do so miss the days when online verification was the most fair use-violating thing around. Now we have this.

Does this mean that 6 years from now, we'll look back fondly on the days when always-on server checks were the ultimate evil, while we're stuck with DNA-locked games (Just pour a pint of blood into the receptacle on install and every time you load a save game, for a more seamless and immersive gaming experience!)?

The whole battle between pirates and publishers reminds me of a quote from the 3rd Hitchhiker's Guide book:

"The Princes of the Plains and the Tribesmen of the Cold Hillsides were about to beat the hell out of each other again. This in itself wouldn't be so bad, except that the Princes of the Plains and the Tribesmen of the Cold Hillsides always elected to beat the hell out of each other in the Forest, and it was always the Dwellers in the Forest who came off worst in these exchanges, though as far as they could see it never had anything to do with them."

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Old 03-29-2010, 07:18 AM   #115
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
"The Princes of the Plains and the Tribesmen of the Cold Hillsides were about to beat the hell out of each other again. This in itself wouldn't be so bad, except that the Princes of the Plains and the Tribesmen of the Cold Hillsides always elected to beat the hell out of each other in the Forest, and it was always the Dwellers in the Forest who came off worst in these exchanges, though as far as they could see it never had anything to do with them."
*sigh* RIP Mr Adams.

My favourite one is about the intergalactic warrior races that after generations of fighting form a pact and decide to invade earth....only to get eaten by a dog due to a dreadful miscalculation of scale

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 03-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #116
jrrtoken

I'd like to see how much profit Ubisoft is losing due to network strain, server operating costs, and DLC compensation due to server maintenance (or lack thereof)... all, of course, in relation to the theoretical revenue lost for piracy had they reverted to their prior DRM scheme. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if AC2 is actually detrimental to Ubi's budget, either due to lack of sales or operating expenditures.
jrrtoken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #117
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Ubisoft's DRM Kicks Australia While It's Down

Oh, look. Ubisoft has ironed out all of the problems and everything seems to be working okay now... well not really.... and definitely not for anyone in Australia.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:29 PM   #118
JediAthos

Little bit of thread necro here, but I thought it was an interesting update given the source of the story

"Apparently Ubisoft’s olive branch of free games to players burned by their DRM wasn’t enough. The company’s Online Services Network (read: DRM), has been hacked by rebellious users.

Ubisoft’s DRM requires players to constantly be online in order to play not only their online games, but even single-player ventures like Assassin’s Creed II. The hack annihilates this DRM completely.

These hackers assert that their technique is foolproof, cannot be replicated, and is safe from being counter-cracked Ubisoft."

-From Game Informer's Website 4/23/10 (http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archi...px?PageIndex=2)

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

Old 04-26-2010, 01:45 AM   #119
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
Little bit of thread necro here, but I thought it was an interesting update given the source of the story

"Apparently Ubisoft’s olive branch of free games to players burned by their DRM wasn’t enough. The company’s Online Services Network (read: DRM), has been hacked by rebellious users.

Ubisoft’s DRM requires players to constantly be online in order to play not only their online games, but even single-player ventures like Assassin’s Creed II. The hack annihilates this DRM completely.

These hackers assert that their technique is foolproof, cannot be replicated, and is safe from being counter-cracked Ubisoft."

-From Game Informer's Website 4/23/10 (http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archi...px?PageIndex=2)
I know that it isn't good to encourage/speak about use of cracks and such - but i wish i could get my hands on this - i hate the idea of permanently needing an internet connection to play AC2 - i mean - what if the internet is off for some reason or another? toughies? no tah..

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #120
JediAthos

That's pretty much about it Taak...no connection, no game. It's why Ubisoft has been absolutely destroyed for this. (even on their own forums)

Game Informer didn't mention the source of the hack, which I'm pretty sure they couldn't do even if they wanted to, but I'm truthfully surprised that it took this long. There had been some other rumors of a hack, but this is the first story I've seen from a reputable source.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Ubisoft plans to require constant net connection just to play their games