lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: 3D art
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
Lagomorph01
Rookie

3D art

So the header art for Escape from Monkey Island actually made me start experimenting with 3D images.

So here's an old drawing of mine which I modified for 3D viewing.

Anyone else got 3D art that they're dying to show?

Bound only by the paper thin wrapper of mortality, a soul here lies, struggling to be free, and so it will thanks to a bowl of bad gazpacho and a man named Calavera!
Lagomorph01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Gabez

That's awesome. I don't have any 3D glasses (though I want to get some) but I can see it looks really good without them anyway.

Is it difficult to make a 2D image 3D? I know Dan Lee actually modelled his image in 2D 3D (if you see what I mean) and then set up two different cameras for the eyes, before merging the two images together and changing the colours. I suppose that's the best way of doing it, though you can't do it with a 2D image.
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Lagomorph01
Rookie

Well, this one was kind of tricky, since the image wasn't made for a 3D purpose.
I actually had to cut all of the characters and stuff out in Photoshop, then repainting the background behind them. (If you look closely you can still see some outlines where I got a little sloppy.)
After that I put the whole thing in 3D-Max, where I did indeed put two camera's on it.
After this I re-edited these pictures in Photoshop to apply the 3D effect.
Everything cost my about 2 afternoons, but, seeing as this was my first 3D project and I had to experiment a LOT, it can probably be done in a couple of hours.
I'm pretty proud of it though, never thought I'd be able to make something like this.

Bound only by the paper thin wrapper of mortality, a soul here lies, struggling to be free, and so it will thanks to a bowl of bad gazpacho and a man named Calavera!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Gabez

Ah, so it is proper 3D then (I wish I could see it with proper 3D glasses!)

Is it possible to do it without setting up cameras, though?
Old 03-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
Lagomorph01
Rookie

Well, it could probably be done in Photoshop or something...
You'd just have to have a really good eye for dept, and then guess where the object would be looking through your left eye, and then through your right.
It'd be kind of a trial and error, and probably more time consuming then using a 3D programme.

UPDATE:
I had a shot at my Avatar too:

Last edited by Lagomorph01; 03-01-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
clone2727
Rookie

Current Game: Full Throttle
There's always Google Chrome 3D!

It's Enrico Palazzo!
clone2727 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Lagomorph01
Rookie

There, it's finally done. This sucker took me 2 days to finish!

When you look at it without 3D glasses, Guybrush is feeling a bit drowsy.
When you look at it with 3D glasses... Tales of Monkey Island eat your heart out!
Thís is 3D!

Last edited by Lagomorph01; 03-03-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
bakana
Rookie

These are pretty awesome!

I made a picture story book out of 3-D images, but where the red and blue images were slightly different in some pages, and told two different parallel stories. The end result was pretty weird.

More pages here:
http://gildedgreen.com/sequential/anaglyph/index.html

(edit: I know, there's a typo on the cover. It's terribly embarrassing.)

More pages here:
http://gildedgreen.com/sequential/anaglyph/index.html
bakana is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2010, 01:33 AM   #9
Jayel

Hey Lagomorph, those are amazing! Seems like left and right eyes are switched though - traditionally anaglyph glasses have red for the left lens and blue for the right lens.
Jayel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2010, 06:23 AM   #10
Lagomorph01
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayel View Post
Hey Lagomorph, those are amazing! Seems like left and right eyes are switched though - traditionally anaglyph glasses have red for the left lens and blue for the right lens.
Thanks! ^^
It's strange, because the anaglyph glasses that I've got (I got 'm with Shrek 3D) are blue for left and red for right. This is also the order that the people from the tutorials used. Do these things differ in other parts of the world or something?

Old 03-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #11
purple_tentacle_

Ok this is pretty awsome! I love 3D and its always interested me. I was interested in doing the 3D stuff for pictures and stuff just as a hobby but I am terrible with Photoshop. Cant you just mess with the layers? Like duplicate them move them around a little and change the colour? Sorry I dont know alot about photoshop so correct me if i'm wrong.

But great work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagomorph01 View Post
Well, this one was kind of tricky, since the image wasn't made for a 3D purpose.
I actually had to cut all of the characters and stuff out in Photoshop, then repainting the background behind them. (If you look closely you can still see some outlines where I got a little sloppy.)
After that I put the whole thing in 3D-Max, where I did indeed put two camera's on it.
After this I re-edited these pictures in Photoshop to apply the 3D effect.
Everything cost my about 2 afternoons, but, seeing as this was my first 3D project and I had to experiment a LOT, it can probably be done in a couple of hours.
I'm pretty proud of it though, never thought I'd be able to make something like this.

http://www.lucasforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=162626&dateline=12954  72528
"The Simple truth is that we've
lost control of our own borders,
and no nation can do that and survive"
-Ronald Reagan
purple_tentacle_ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
Jayel

Quote:
Thanks! ^^
It's strange, because the anaglyph glasses that I've got (I got 'm with Shrek 3D) are blue for left and red for right. This is also the order that the people from the tutorials used. Do these things differ in other parts of the world or something?
Hmm that's interesting. It might be a patent issue. Wiki on the subject seems to mention it briefly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaglyph_image
Jayel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayel View Post
Hmm that's interesting. It might be a patent issue. Wiki on the subject seems to mention it briefly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaglyph_image
That is wierd mine are the same. But if its a patent issue then only the shrek glasses would be that way. Just turn them upside down!

http://www.lucasforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=162626&dateline=12954  72528
-Ronald Reagan
Old 03-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #14
Lagomorph01
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_tentacle_ View Post
Ok this is pretty awsome! I love 3D and its always interested me. I was interested in doing the 3D stuff for pictures and stuff just as a hobby but I am terrible with Photoshop. Cant you just mess with the layers? Like duplicate them move them around a little and change the colour? Sorry I dont know alot about photoshop so correct me if i'm wrong.

But great work!
Thanks you very much.
The thing I did is put every single object in it's own layer. After that I had to repaint the backgrounds behind the objects, this is the thing that took so much time.
Because the objects will be changed in position, you can't have the original underneath it.
After that everything was put in perspective in 3D max, like this:

A render is made from 2 different camera angles, and loaded back into Photoshop.
The images are resized, screened in red and blue, and then multiplied.
Voila, 3D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_tentacle
That is wierd mine are the same. But if its a patent issue then only the shrek glasses would be that way. Just turn them upside down!
Exactamundo!

Old 03-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #15
purple_tentacle_

Quote:
Thanks you very much.
The thing I did is put every single object in it's own layer. After that I had to repaint the backgrounds behind the objects, this is the thing that took so much time.
Because the objects will be changed in position, you can't have the original underneath it.
After that everything was put in perspective in 3D max, like this:

A render is made from 2 different camera angles, and loaded back into Photoshop.
The images are resized, screened in red and blue, and then multiplied.
Voila, 3D!
Interesting...well thats kind of interesting. Good job and keep up the good work. And I was wondering what the picture of your avatar is from?

-Ronald Reagan
Old 03-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #16
Gabez

Nice work everyone!

Welcome to the forums, bakana! And really cool idea for a storybook having three different stories (and based on Gilgamesh as well? What a lot to cover!)
Old 03-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #17
Lagomorph01
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_tentacle_ View Post
And I was wondering what the picture of your avatar is from?
It's from my own comic book. I only drew 10 pages since 2006, but it's pretty fun to do a page once in a while.
That picture is a picture of the first page. It's the first one that I decided to color.

I'll show you the first 3 pages:
Page 01
Page 02
Page 03

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > Off-Topic Mayhem > 3D art