lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Monkey Island 2 Remake
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #121
Valkian
Loves Razputin.net!

Current Game: Snatcher
I'm too used to the spanish voices (they are great), so I'll have to learn to like them I guess, whenever I catch up on playing the new games.

Valkian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #122
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by elTee View Post
Wasn't there some scene with Wally and Guybrush on a raft after LeChuck's fortress that got cut? I think Wally was supposed to fall in or drown or something, they decided it was too cruel. I never liked Wally ;

I don't think they'd add it in now that Wally returns in CMI.
Haha, I'm guessing they weren't going to kill him! I always imagined that scene would have Guybrush saving him since he's the only guy around who can hold his breath for 10 minutes.

I bet that would be too labor intensive to add in, though. And besides I bet adding scenes would just mean the Special Edition team would find someway to do it poorly without much afterthought.
SyntheticGerbil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #123
Rapp Scallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticGerbil View Post
Haha, I'm guessing they weren't going to kill him! I always imagined that scene would have Guybrush saving him since he's the only guy around who can hold his breath for 10 minutes.

I bet that would be too labor intensive to add in, though. And besides I bet adding scenes would just mean the Special Edition team would find someway to do it poorly without much afterthought.
If I remember correctly, Wally was supposed to look down into the water from the raft, and then loose his monocle, not fall into the sea himself. Still cruel, though
Rapp Scallion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #124
ATMachine
Hero of Many Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp Scallion View Post
If I remember correctly, Wally was supposed to look down into the water from the raft, and then loose his monocle, not fall into the sea himself. Still cruel, though
Actually, first he lost his monocle, and then while looking frantically for it he fell overboard and (presumably) drowned.

Even for MI2 this seems cruel. No wonder they took it out.

"What color is the tree?"
ATMachine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #125
OzzieMonkey
Rookie

Well, it seems like Lucasarts are planning to give us some more info on the game, soon. Check they're Twiiter page
and scroll down. They say something about more monkey info coming soon, and that they cant wait to see our reactions. Wonder what that means. Trailer? A stage demo? The game getting release early?
OzzieMonkey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2010, 02:26 AM   #126
daltysmilth
Rookie

I just went to Lucasarts' MI2 website, and what a treat for the eyes and ears. A sample of the Woodtick theme played with real instruments, and the screenshots from the game looked fantastic. In fact, some of the backgrounds looked like they didn't redo them at all, but just re-scanned the original artwork Steve did for the original version. I wonder if that is indeed what they did for some of them.

"So Brak, is that Polish? Or... no I suppose it wouldn't be."
--Mike Nelson- MST3K: the Movie
daltysmilth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #127
Snugglecakes

Current Game: Mata Hari
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltysmilth View Post
I just went to Lucasarts' MI2 website, and what a treat for the eyes and ears. A sample of the Woodtick theme played with real instruments, and the screenshots from the game looked fantastic. In fact, some of the backgrounds looked like they didn't redo them at all, but just re-scanned the original artwork Steve did for the original version. I wonder if that is indeed what they did for some of them.
Yeah the backgrounds are great, and even Guybrush looks ok this time. Don't get me started on the box art though.
Snugglecakes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #128
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
Actually, first he lost his monocle, and then while looking frantically for it he fell overboard and (presumably) drowned.

Even for MI2 this seems cruel. No wonder they took it out.
Haha! Sorry, but it made me laugh. (Maybe I'm just cruel.) Where can I read more about this, ATM??? (I can't find a link to your site anywhere )

Quote:
No. Although the backgrounds are much better... they're not Purcell/Chan backgrounds. I don't even need to look that up to tell you.

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #129
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

Yeah I really doubt they got off their asses to search through old artwork and scanned them all.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:10 AM   #130
Snugglecakes

Current Game: Mata Hari
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPeel2001 View Post
(I can't find a link to your site anywhere )
http://home.comcast.net/~ervind/

Spent more time on that page than I did studying for exams.
ATMachine I hope you have a backup of that thing
Snugglecakes is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #131
Threepwood4life
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieMonkey View Post
Well, it seems like Lucasarts are planning to give us some more info on the game, soon. Check they're Twiiter page
and scroll down. They say something about more monkey info coming soon, and that they cant wait to see our reactions. Wonder what that means. Trailer? A stage demo? The game getting release early?
I've actually mentioned this on a previous post but I did ask Craig Derrick on his Twitter page how far the game was into development and was it near to completion and he replied with the following;

Still some work to do, but we're close. Really stoked you like what we've shown so far!

I'm guessing its some finishing touches they're doing and with LucasArts saying news coming shortly I guess it could be a possible release date announcement and trailer unveiling. I'm guessing between a May/June release

View my blogs and various news at thedailygamepad.com
Threepwood4life is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #132
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Has anyone actually mentioned the LeChuck stance anywhere btw, like on their Facebook or Twitter? I know everyone always assumes these things will be caught, but if history has taught me anything it's that they never are.

Sometimes artists get too caught up by their own vision and don't see relatively obvious issues that should be sorted out — especially in small/individual teams.

It's bizarre because the walk is perfect. Makes me think surely it's just an issue with whoever put the site together... but probably not.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #133
daltysmilth
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticGerbil View Post
Yeah I really doubt they got off their asses to search through old artwork and scanned them all.
I didn't say all of the backgrounds looked like the originals. Just some of them. And why would it be more effort to scan in something that originally exists than to create a new painting from scratch?

"So Brak, is that Polish? Or... no I suppose it wouldn't be."
--Mike Nelson- MST3K: the Movie
daltysmilth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #134
clintondsmith
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglecakes View Post
Wow, awesome site! I've never seen this before. Thanks Mr. Cakes.
clintondsmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #135
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

I'd imagine they didn't use the original scans because in many cases the scanned art probably differed quite a bit from the final image. We've seen evidence of this even in the few scans that've been released — especially the Wally one — so it wouldn't surprise me if the rest were the same.

More likely they just did it like with the first Special Edition: based it on the in-game art.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #136
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
The Wally one was concept, wasn't it? I may be mistaken, but I thought all the final art came from scanned images. Although they probably did have to retouch them after scanning in at least some cases - which is what LEC would have to do regardless now, to get them to 1080p.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2010, 05:20 PM   #137
ATMachine
Hero of Many Lands

Unfortunately for those who want LucasArts to make use of it, the original scanned-in background art of MI2 is quite definitely different from the final game's backgrounds in numerous places.

For instance, take the map of Phatt Island. The original art (as seen in Rogue Leaders) has a bridge connecting Phatt Island to the smaller island where Rum Rogers' house is. Obviously such a thing would eliminate the need for a rather nasty puzzle in the final game!

And the art of Wally's house WAS what was used in the final game--it was just retouched after being scanned in, like most of the other backgrounds.

There are also plenty of other examples of differences in the scanned art from the eventual game backgrounds, which are evident from demos and early magazine screenshots.

As an example, Mad Marty's Laundromat lacked the equipment for the rat-trap, instead having a washbasin in its place. Plus the original background art of that scene was unusually wide, so that when it was first put into the game, the ledge where the Men of Low Moral Fiber sit wasn't visible.

The Scabb Island graveyard had a bunch of aboveground crypts where Marco Lagrande's tombstone should be. And Captain Dread's ship was missing from Ville de la Booty, where instead there was a galleon anchored.

I could go on and on. These are just some of the instances of changed art that would materially affect gameplay. I would say, in fact, that almost every single one of the backgrounds went through some changes, large or small, between the original hand-drawn art and the final game version.

LucasArts would be faced with the Herculean task of redrawing and "correcting" nearly the entirety of the original background art, in all the places it was redrawn before, if they wanted to scan it in and use it for MI2:SE. I'd go so far as to say expecting them to do this would be unreasonable. The method they have adopted is much, much easier.

"What color is the tree?"

Last edited by ATMachine; 03-26-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: removed some hyperbole
ATMachine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #138
OzzieMonkey
Rookie

I'm just thinking, is Lucasarts going to be at PAX East? If so, it would be a great time to unveil some gameplay footage, and perhaps a release date.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #139
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

Quote:
I didn't say all of the backgrounds looked like the originals. Just some of them. And why would it be more effort to scan in something that originally exists than to create a new painting from scratch?
Because it requires getting out of a chair.

That's the best I've got. Seriously. (Because I actually agree with you, as you'll see in the following.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine View Post
I could go on and on. These are just some of the instances of changed art that would materially affect gameplay. I would say, in fact, that almost every single one of the backgrounds went through some changes, large or small, between the original hand-drawn art and the final game version.

LucasArts would be faced with the Herculean task of redrawing and "correcting" nearly the entirety of the original background art, in all the places it was redrawn before, if they wanted to scan it in and use it for MI2:SE. I'd go so far as to say expecting them to do this would be unreasonable. The method they have adopted is much, much easier.
I'm not sure why you'd think that's a Herculean task or that somehow not using scans is "much easier." No one is debating scans don't need touch ups, since they all do in the digital art world, whether it's Monkey Island or your own personal artwork for show. I touch up everything I scan at my job whether my art is a pencil sketch or full color paints. It doesn't have to take very long at all if you are good at it. And from everything I've seen of the backgrounds so far, they are in very nice condition and have a lot of details already filled in.

As for all the background changes, that could easily be done by cutting and pasting portions of the finished backgrounds in the game over it and then just repainting those parts to fit in with the style of the scan.

But you also don't know for sure if every single background went through a change or not since none of us have seen every background as originally drawn. Either way they are still drawing whether they are touching something up or starting from scratch. The former would preserve the original image much easier, so I don't want to hear, "Well Steve Purcell said they were always meant to be used as a template and not final work," because I'm well aware of that. They can still be reused as templates granted the pages or artboard have been well taken care of.

You're talking in extreme hyperbole here. "Herculean" is ridiculous to suggest on something that could very well take the same amount of time either way. Personally, I think using original art scanned in at hi-res would be much easier to use as a template to fill in the details and get my digital brushes right than trying to fully realize low resolution art. Again, I don't think the amount of time I personally would spend doing something like this personally would make much difference.

And besides, it's a merit to the SE team for actually redrawing the backgrounds much better this time. I was more worried they were going to screw this up over everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elTee View Post
The Wally one was concept, wasn't it? I may be mistaken, but I thought all the final art came from scanned images. Although they probably did have to retouch them after scanning in at least some cases - which is what LEC would have to do regardless now, to get them to 1080p.
This is true, the Wally one was concept. We haven't seen the real background Wally's boat house was created from.

Last edited by SyntheticGerbil; 03-26-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #140
Aububuh
Rookie

Something that concerns me is with the music. In SMI all the original music sounded like it could be played by a reasonably sized band, which is pretty much what the SE guys did, but MI2 has different instruments for almost every song, and an entire orchestra for quite a bit of it, and I'm wondering if the special edition is going to do all of that.
Take the underground tunnels, for example. There's a big string section, flutes, horns, a lot of percussion, I don't know if they'll be able to afford all of that. I really hope they can, because it will sound amazing if they do, but I'm just skeptical.

Aububuh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2010, 12:18 AM   #141
Monkey Mania

If not, they can do it with samples. Quality has increased dramatically in the past two years.
View page
YouTube Video
Monkey Mania is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2010, 01:01 AM   #142
Aububuh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Mania View Post
If not, they can do it with samples. Quality has increased dramatically in the past two years.
View page
YouTube Video
Wow. That was samples? I didn't know they were that good. Still though, I'd prefer live, but that would work. Wow.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #143
Monkey Mania

So, uhh, what's with Chuckie's nose at the end? Is it a hole? Kinda looks like it.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #144
OzzieMonkey
Rookie

Quote:
So, uhh, what's with Chuckie's nose at the end? Is it a hole? Kinda looks like it.
To what are you referring?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #145
Monkey Mania

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Monkey...2-mi_38_39.gif
Old 03-28-2010, 10:49 PM   #146
Aububuh
Rookie

Quote:
I always thought it was to make him look more skeletal.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:01 AM   #147
Varrok
Rookie

http://www.disneylandpostcards.com/i...ckey-Mouse.png
:P
Varrok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2010, 02:51 AM   #148
Monkey Mania

LOL. LeChuck's actually mickey mouse?
Old 03-29-2010, 03:15 AM   #149
Aububuh
Rookie

Quote:
LOL. LeChuck's actually mickey mouse?
http://www.spurgeonworld.com/willsbl...ain_mickey.jpg

Put a beard on him, then yes.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:04 AM   #150
elTee
beatnik

FWIW, in Rogue Leaders it says that the Phatt Island image is concept art as well. It could be a mistake on their part, though, because it looks mostly identical to the game version.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
Old 03-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #151
Varrok
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aububuh View Post
Put a beard on him, then yes.
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/8569/coolg.png
Don't you think it's better now?

except the beard which is still horrible to me...
Varrok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #152
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

Give him the burly Brutal Legend beard that comes with the DLC.

And... Runaway Brain?!
Old 03-30-2010, 01:48 AM   #153
Aububuh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrok View Post
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/8569/coolg.png
Don't you think it's better now?

except the beard which is still horrible to me...
That's just awesome.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #154
Monkey Mania

lol
Old 03-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #155
Scapetti

Quote:
Now that you mention it (disregarding SMI:SE, Escape and Tales) did LeChuck ever have a nose? Maybe his nose in SMI was red because it was fake? Would explain why it disappears when his head shoots up to the sky!

Last edited by Scapetti; 03-30-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Scapetti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #156
Aububuh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapetti View Post
did LeChuck ever have a nose? Maybe his nose in SMI was red because it was fake?
Like this?

http://s926.photobucket.com/albums/a...choglasses.jpg

Old 03-31-2010, 05:19 AM   #157
elTee
beatnik

I thought it was fake.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #158
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

As tipped off by Kroms earlier, new background is posted:

Besides ugly Mr. Guybrush and that the carpenter seems to be floating a bit, everything is looking great! Looking very similar to the original. They even kept that weird girl on the calender instead of doing something like turning it into a very sexy pirate pin-up.

Not that I'd be against that...

Last edited by SyntheticGerbil; 04-05-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #159
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Wonderfully authentic IMO. ;

Old 04-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #160
Monkey Mania

So I guess that was a dude.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Monkey Island 2 Remake