lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Curse of Monkey Island (Classic Edition)
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #161
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie
 
Jackpumpkinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 113
i just tested it on a different computer
works fine.
if you still have trouble let me know
Jackpumpkinhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #162
Monkey Mania
 
Monkey Mania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Right behind you
Posts: 771
That demo is awesome!
Monkey Mania is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #163
MusiclyInspired
Junior Member
 
MusiclyInspired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 304
Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
Mediafire was still incredibly slow, but I managed to download it ok at a decent speed once the download link finally appeared.


"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood, Tales of Monkey Island
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #164
MusiclyInspired
Junior Member
 
MusiclyInspired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 304
Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
Wonderful demo! Really made me want to play the whole thing! Excellent animation as well!


"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood, Tales of Monkey Island
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #165
Scabb dude
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13
Just tested the new demo, great project!
Scabb dude is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #166
Threepwood42
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21
Current Game: Spider-Man: SD
Just looked at it. This looks really awesome. Are you planning on ripping the VOs from the original Curse and making this a Talkie-Old School? Or keeping it super old school without voice overs?
Threepwood42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2010, 01:27 AM   #167
MusiclyInspired
Junior Member
 
MusiclyInspired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 304
Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
I'd say it'd be fine (and less copyright infringing) without the voices. It'd be a lot of work to go through every line of dialogue in the whole game. It would be a fairly large download as well. Just as well to do without it.


"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood, Tales of Monkey Island
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #168
Monkey Mania
 
Monkey Mania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Right behind you
Posts: 771
With games approaching 20GB these days, it's not big at all.
Monkey Mania is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #169
MusiclyInspired
Junior Member
 
MusiclyInspired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 304
Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
Even for a fangame download? It's just not worth the effort and it's not needed. And it'd be less illegal, like I said. Even though the whole thing is illegal, really...there's a lot less chance you'd get shut down if you didn't use them.


"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood, Tales of Monkey Island
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #170
Scabb dude
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13
It's an "old school edition", who needs voice-overs?
Scabb dude is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #171
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie
 
Jackpumpkinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiclyInspired View Post
Even for a fangame download? It's just not worth the effort and it's not needed. And it'd be less illegal, like I said. Even though the whole thing is illegal, really...there's a lot less chance you'd get shut down if you didn't use them.
its not illegal yet
i am just doing the one room demo for now
and that is free on the lucasarts website
Jackpumpkinhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #172
MusiclyInspired
Junior Member
 
MusiclyInspired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 304
Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
Technically, it's still illegal since it bares the name Monkey Island and its characters and LucasArts would be well within their rights to cease & desist and/or sue you.

But you probably won't get in trouble over it. Doesn't make it no illegal, though.


"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood, Tales of Monkey Island
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #173
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie
 
Jackpumpkinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 113
they would be wasting their time. if nothing else i am helping lucasarts
by reinvigorating the fans to want to play the old games and therefore
spending money on the new games. besides its not like they are loosing any money by me making this. they have made all the money there is to be made on CMI. they don't even sell CMI anymore. i could understand them suing me or telling me to stop if i was selling this. but i'm not. its just for fun.
Jackpumpkinhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #174
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie
 
Jackpumpkinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 113
Just a small update on the progress
I am almost finished with the main cannon room
I will be working on outside the ship next
if anyone is willing to help let me know
Jackpumpkinhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #175
Scabb dude
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13
What do you need?
Scabb dude is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2010, 04:54 AM   #176
The Tingler
The Lagomorph Prince
 
The Tingler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Emperor's Tomb
Posts: 1,620
Current Game: Not TFU2
The International House of Mojo Staff 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpumpkinhead View Post
they would be wasting their time. if nothing else i am helping lucasarts
by reinvigorating the fans to want to play the old games and therefore
spending money on the new games. besides its not like they are loosing any money by me making this. they have made all the money there is to be made on CMI. they don't even sell CMI anymore. i could understand them suing me or telling me to stop if i was selling this. but i'm not. its just for fun.
Unfortunately it's not up to you. It's up to them. It's inevitable that COMI will be on Steam, perhaps this summer alongside MI2:SE. At that point you will be shut down fast, depending on how much sway the marketing and law guys have at LucasArts - and without a president, that's quite a lot. Hell, they shut down their own games last two times they lost a president, they won't hesitate to send you a Cease & Desist.

On a more positive note, leave out the voices. We want old-skool, and that means text-only. We already know what Guybrush sounds like, now we want to see what MI3 would've been like before the CD-ROM was invented.

Besides, the further you get away from the official CMI the more chance LucasArts won't stop you. You rip the voices directly from their game and they'll take offense.

The Tingler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #177
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie
 
Jackpumpkinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tingler View Post
Unfortunately it's not up to you. It's up to them. It's inevitable that COMI will be on Steam, perhaps this summer alongside MI2:SE. At that point you will be shut down fast, depending on how much sway the marketing and law guys have at LucasArts - and without a president, that's quite a lot. Hell, they shut down their own games last two times they lost a president, they won't hesitate to send you a Cease & Desist.

On a more positive note, leave out the voices. We want old-skool, and that means text-only. We already know what Guybrush sounds like, now we want to see what MI3 would've been like before the CD-ROM was invented.

Besides, the further you get away from the official CMI the more chance LucasArts won't stop you. You rip the voices directly from their game and they'll take offense.
well i guess until then i will have to just have fun
if it happens it happens
that doesn't mean i can't still work on it for my own enjoyment
it just means that i won't be able to share it with you all
which is a shame
but oh well
as far as leaving the voices out, i have decided to go with that
i think that is the best route to go
also it is a lot more work to add the voices in

and if there is anyone willing to start in on the backgrounds for outside the ship
and the cannon view that would be great
i am currently working on the dialog between Guybrush and "Bloodnose" aka Wally
there is so much conversation there it is ridiculous.
any way
just thought i would update you all
Jackpumpkinhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #178
Scabb dude
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpumpkinhead View Post
well i guess until then i will have to just have fun
if it happens it happens
that doesn't mean i can't still work on it for my own enjoyment
Yeah! And if there should be some problem, you could always change all the names of the characters and the name of the game.
Scabb dude is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #179
Gabez
Senior Member
 
Gabez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Oxford, England
Posts: 3,146
I hope you will share it with us when you make progress, though!

It's extremely unlikely (though not impossible) that LucasArts will send a C&D for a project like this, and you can do whatever you like until that happens (and it probably won't).

The recent images look awesome!
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #180
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie
 
Jackpumpkinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabez View Post
I hope you will share it with us when you make progress, though!

It's extremely unlikely (though not impossible) that LucasArts will send a C&D for a project like this, and you can do whatever you like until that happens (and it probably won't).

The recent images look awesome!
yeah i'm not that worried about it

yet another update!
i am 95% finished with the dialog between wally and guybrush
once that is finished there are a few extra animations i want to throw in there
and then i will be completely finished with this one room
i will then be moving on to the outside of the ship and the cannon view
but once i finish the dialog and the animations for this room i will be posting an update to the demo
i will also be posting the new demo to the ags forums and asking for help
so that i can get more of this monster of a game done and at a quicker pace.
Jackpumpkinhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #181
Scabb dude
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13
There's a little bug in the demo: Guybrush seems to walk through the cannon instead of walking around it.
Scabb dude is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #182
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie
 
Jackpumpkinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabb dude View Post
There's a little bug in the demo: Guybrush seems to walk through the cannon instead of walking around it.
yeah this will be fixed in the next version
which by the way is coming along
should be done midweek or so.
i was out of town this weekend and didnt get to work on it at all
Jackpumpkinhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #183
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie
 
Jackpumpkinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 113
*updated*
click here for the newest version
demo v0.0.0.1 beta 3
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=203368

Last edited by Jackpumpkinhead; 05-26-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Jackpumpkinhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #184
MusiclyInspired
Junior Member
 
MusiclyInspired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 304
Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
So cool! It's great! I love your animations as well. Excellent work. The only thing is the game seems to hang after I get Wally to "snap out of it". There's still a black space at the bottom as if I'm still in a conversation but there are no dialogue options. Also the verb GUI doesn't come back (obviously) and I can't walk anywhere or do anything after that. Still, it got the point across. I love it. Nice work, man. Looking forward to future demos!


"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood, Tales of Monkey Island
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #185
Scabb dude
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13
Thumbs up

It's gonna be a great project! You are doing a wonderful job, I love it!
Scabb dude is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #186
Cyrus7
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 47
Will the voices be available in the final version?
Cyrus7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #187
Scabb dude
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus7 View Post
Will the voices be available in the final version?
You should read some previous posts.
Scabb dude is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #188
Cyrus7
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 47
I think the voice pack should probably be added as a bonus after the release, for people who prefer it with speech.
Cyrus7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #189
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie
 
Jackpumpkinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiclyInspired View Post
So cool! It's great! I love your animations as well. Excellent work. The only thing is the game seems to hang after I get Wally to "snap out of it". There's still a black space at the bottom as if I'm still in a conversation but there are no dialogue options. Also the verb GUI doesn't come back (obviously) and I can't walk anywhere or do anything after that. Still, it got the point across. I love it. Nice work, man. Looking forward to future demos!
*updated...again
i fixed this and added some other new stuff
for the most part this first room is done
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=203368
have fun guys
Jackpumpkinhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #190
Aububuh
Rookie
 
Aububuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 182
I finally got a chance to play the demo, and I'm very impressed! This is really starting to come along quite nicely.

Aububuh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #191
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie
 
Jackpumpkinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 113
i would be appreciative if someone could make the icons for the different inventory items that you get in the game, in the style i am going for
Jackpumpkinhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #192
Aububuh
Rookie
 
Aububuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpumpkinhead View Post
i would be appreciative if someone could make the icons for the different inventory items that you get in the game, in the style i am going for
I could try; what do you need first?

Aububuh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #193
Monkey Mania
 
Monkey Mania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Right behind you
Posts: 771
Obviously the items from the first room. The Cutlass, balloons, hook, and the pole.
Monkey Mania is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #194
Aububuh
Rookie
 
Aububuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 182


How're these?

Aububuh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #195
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie
 
Jackpumpkinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aububuh View Post


How're these?
Well thanx but this is what i already have
and i need them in this size
Jackpumpkinhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #196
Aububuh
Rookie
 
Aububuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpumpkinhead View Post
Well thanx but this is what i already have
and i need them in this size
Oh, alright. I'll try again later when I get the chance.

Aububuh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #197
fischkopf
Lurker
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2
I just looked at the new demo. It's great I like the ramrod pickup animation.
fischkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #198
Jenni
Rookie
 
Jenni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 203
Current Game: Monkey Island 4 (ResidualVM)
Here's my attempt at the cutlass and skeleton arm:



And just for fun, an Escape from Monkey Island Guybrush in classic style:


Jenni is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #199
Jackpumpkinhead
Rookie
 
Jackpumpkinhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 113
i like these thanx for the help
i am trying to finish up on this room so i can continue the rest of the demo
Jackpumpkinhead is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #200
Aububuh
Rookie
 
Aububuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 182


Here's my attempt at a Murray talking animation. Hope you like it.

Aububuh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Curse of Monkey Island (Classic Edition)

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:14 PM.


LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.