lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Jabba's Slave Dancer...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
hezekiaah
Rookie

Jabba's Slave Dancer...

In Jabba's Palace, that freakish slave before Leia comes along with the head tails is dancing and then suddenly goes crazy, and starts crying and begging Jabba for something before he disposes of her. Did she do something wrong? It looks like she hit him with her chain. Or did Jabba decide she was a bad dancer and she was begging unsuccessfully for a second shot? What did she yell at him exactly before he killed her?
hezekiaah is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
SmootheOperator
Rookie

Current Game: Replaying Gears Of War trilogy
Her name is Oola. and i'm not sure what she did, i was under the assumption that Jabba was pulling her towards him, and she grabbed the chain and tried to pull away. Maybe i'm wrong. Anyone else know?

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
SmootheOperator is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2011, 01:55 AM   #3
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

My guess is that she is making fun of Jabba's manhood... errr... wormhood.

PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
SmootheOperator
Rookie

this is one of those questions a 15 year old would ask, but what would jabba be doing with a bunch of Twi'lek dancers? He's a Hutt for god sake, he produced Rotta asexually. What is the point? other than maybe entertainment for his guests, but seriously, what's the point?

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
.:Lord Revan:.

Current Game: MW3
From what little I know all hutts enjoy exotic dancing, and since other hutts can't do it they make twileks, humans, etc. do it.
.:Lord Revan:. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

I do think that hutts enjoy the shows in a mostly asexual way though. Yes their idea of art and performance may be different to us, but its a big universe!

So yes, Jabba enjoys "artistic dancing". That, and its a way to entertain the guests and underlings too.

PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
SITH LORD 872

Current Game: KOTOR 1
I just watched Jedi the other night and what i caught was he was trying to pull her closer and she was not having it LOL!!
SITH LORD 872 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
hezekiaah
Rookie

If he just enjoyed the dancing, why did she freak out when he tried to pull her closer? She seemed pretty normal previously...It's not like she was having a conniption sitting next to him earlier when 3PO and R2 walked in, and she danced just like it was normal for a while there too.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
SITH LORD 872

Maybe she just got fed up being a slave, As most Twi-lek's were slaves or handmaidens, It does bring up a good question cause even after he pulled her closer she still seemed calm, Then she freaked out!!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
mfinnie
Rookie

Current Game: Star Wars: The Old Republic
maybe she knew he was gonna throw her in the rancor from seeing him do it to others
mfinnie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
hezekiaah
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinnie View Post
maybe she knew he was gonna throw her in the rancor from seeing him do it to others
That's entirely possible. Why did he decide to kill Oola then? I mean, she wasn't that pretty, but she had to have done something else to deserve it...was she trying to escape and that was the penalty?
Old 04-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
purifier
Forumite

LF Jester 
Okay, the answer is simple guys, just because he's a worm doesn't mean he can't get his freak on, in more ways than one. Here's a example of how it may have went down:

He may have been drunk and was probably aroused by Oola's dancing.

Jabba: "Oooooh your so fine, I must have you with my wine."

Then he began pulling her close to him. She of course refused and tryed to stopped this, playing a tug of war with Jabba.

Oola: "NO YOU SICKO!" NO! NO! NO! NO!"

Jabba: "YES! YES! YES! YEEEEEESSSSSS!"

Oola: "I TOLD YOU BEFORE YOU FAT SLUG, NO WAY! GO GET HOSED DOWN!"

Jabba: "YOU WORM HEAD, YOU'VE DEFIED ME FOR THE LAST TIME! YOU ARE NOW BANTHA FODDER!" *click*

Oola: "OH ****!...
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - (MUST OF BEEN A HELLVU DROP, HUH?) -AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAHHHH!"

Jabba: "MUHAHAHA! GET HER RANCOR! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

RANCOR: RRRRRRRRRWRWRRRWWRWRRRRRRRRRRR! [translate] "Kiss my chapped ass Jabba, you haven't bathed me in three weeks! I mean really, I smell you fat slug! And another thing....Oooo! What's this?"

Rancor picks up Oola, Oola screams bloody murder. Rancor freaks out and doesn't know what to do, so he eats her to shut her up.

Jabba: "MUHAHAHAHA! That'll learn ya!"

So anyway, that's how I see it. That was probably the real reason he killed her, because he got tired of her refusal.

SITH HAPPENS
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #13
SITH LORD 872

I must say that was entertaining LOL!!

Old 04-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #14
hezekiaah
Rookie

Hah - yeah it sure was! You're probably right.

Two things though:
* Had Jabba done this to her before? I mean, she'd probably been there a bit, and in that outfit...I'd assume he had. Why freak out this time?

* Did she really insult him so much? It sounded like she was a bit more plaintive or begging to me - like maybe she insulted him accidentally, and thought by batting her eyes a bit and twirling her hair (err...worms) she could get away with it, to which Jabba said "You aren't as pretty as you think" with one swift button press.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
SITH LORD 872

That could be, Or maybe she didn't to dance anymore, And he wanted her to continue, so it became a power struggle, Or her services were no longer needed, and she begged him not to sacrifice her to the Rancor.

Honestly maybe we will never know!!!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #16
SmootheOperator
Rookie

if you have a rancor pit underneath your main entertainment hall, a button that opens a trap door under where people usually stand before you, and a barred floor so you can see the all the gore and dismemberment, you had at least planned to do this at some point in time. Maybe she was just the test? "i just got this new trap door put in this morning, lets try this mofo out!"

Old 04-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #17
SITH LORD 872

I personally think he had a thing for her, And she was like NO WAY!!

Old 04-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
noizer
Rookie

maybe he was just getting bored by her and wanted something new.

noizer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
hezekiaah
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SITH LORD 872 View Post
I personally think he had a thing for her, And she was like NO WAY!!
You're right that we'll probably never know for sure - I just like speculating on it since it's such an ambiguous scene.

I can see how he'd be bored with her maybe...the rest of the court was...Also the power struggle is a good point...no way he's going to take a slave girl trying to undermine him.

I can see the 'he had a thing for her' too...but my question there...is then why did he kill her?? I don't think she was saying "no way", seemed more like she was begging him, so I don't know if she offended him.

Plus...If he wanted her there is NO way a scrawny thing like that could out pull him, unless she's stronger than Leia (who was pulled around by Jabba basically at will).

The only thing I see is he killed her for saying "no" (even though she had no way of keeping away from him) but then it seems he has a bit of a double standard...because I can't exactly see Leia saying "yes" to being tugged about by Jabba, but she not only didn't make Jabba mad, but seemed to gain more of his favor as time went on. Maybe he doesn't take any lip from her because she's more homely than Leia so he thinks she needs to have more respect.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #20
SITH LORD 872

All of your points are good reasons, I think with him being a gangster and her being a slave, it was either she follow his rules, or like you said he found Leia more attractive, personally i thought both of them were hot, In my opinion that is one of the most memorable scenes from Jedi.

On a side note there is a nude shot when Oola is trying to get away from Jabba!!!

Old 04-17-2011, 11:58 PM   #21
hezekiaah
Rookie

Quote:
All of your points are good reasons, I think with him being a gangster and her being a slave, it was either she follow his rules, or like you said he found Leia more attractive, personally i thought both of them were hot, In my opinion that is one of the most memorable scenes from Jedi.

On a side note there is a nude shot when Oola is trying to get away from Jabba!!!
Agreed - definitely memorable scenes.

Oola is hot? I guess for having two growths hanging off her head...I'd say Jabba upgraded though. She had a nude shot eh? Interesting - how'd THAT get by!

I wonder what would have happened if Leia had come earlier, and prevented Oola from getting dropped? Would Jabba have kept both slaves when he captured Leia eventually (that'd be a crowded dais!), or would he have disposed of Oola, seeing as she was apparently pretty worthless to him anyhow, disobedient, and kind of homely compared to Leia, and then just keep his "new and improved" slave - Leia.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:14 AM   #22
SITH LORD 872

If i was him, I would have kept both, And as for the shot that got by, My friend told me about it, Being that her outfit does fit quite loose, Trust me at first i didn't believe him, But when paused in that scene in slow mo, It does come out of her out fit.

Then i had to pay him the $10.00 i bet!!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #23
hezekiaah
Rookie

Yeah he probably would have. Though I bet Oola would have found a way to get killed again anyhow - she struck me as a bit dumb - in and that she was quite good at making Jabba mad. Not a talent to possess when you're chained up and nearly naked in a den of criminals.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #24
SITH LORD 872

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezekiaah View Post
Yeah he probably would have. Though I bet Oola would have found a way to get killed again anyhow - she struck me as a bit dumb - in and that she was quite good at making Jabba mad. Not a talent to possess when you're chained up and nearly naked in a den of criminals.

I will agree with that, She was pretty ditzy!!

Old 04-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #25
purifier
Forumite

LF Jester 
Blonde Twi'leks maybe a little "ditzy" as you say, but at least they have more fun.

Of course, unless they get executed suddenly by some overgrown slug........ Damn Jabba the Hutt! Damn him for all eternity! You'll be missed Oola.

SITH HAPPENS
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #26
hezekiaah
Rookie

Quote:
I will agree with that, She was pretty ditzy!!
Right - yeah she was very much a ditz.

* I mean - standing over a giant Rancor pit while she's making Jabba mad...
* Dancing virtually naked and then being surprised when Jabba wants her to go to him...
* Trying to escape from Jabba in the middle of the desert (where would she have GONE?)
* Getting into a power struggle with a giant slug...

To name a few...Certainly too bad it happened - but seemed inevitable with her lack of sense - if she'd had half the know-how Leia had she'd have learned to lie low I think. Attention with Jabba can only cause trouble.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #27
SITH LORD 872

Yup she was great eye candy to look at, But we all know Jabba is one fat greedy slug!!

Old 04-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #28
hezekiaah
Rookie

Quote:
Yup she was great eye candy to look at, But we all know Jabba is one fat greedy slug!!
Right! I guess just not quite enough eye candy for Jabba ! He must require more substance in his women.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:51 AM   #29
cafiwam
Rookie

There a few problems I see with some of the arguments in this discussion. First and foremost is that hutts are hermaphrodites not asexual. For those who don't know this means that they posses both male and female genitalia, which is a characteristic they share with many gastropods. So as disgusting as it sounds, it means Jabba either was artificially inseminated or got knocked up by another hutt.

As far as Jabba's attraction to humanoid females, it is stated in several books(Han Solo Trilogy) that his harem of slave girls was considered a "perversion" by some other prominent hutts, who saw it as something similar to bestiality. So yes Jabba was "attracted" by Leia and Oola.

Now why did Oola resist? Well it wasn't because she was ditzy (where did you get that from?), I'm pretty sure of that. Oola had been Jabba's slave for quite sometime and in that period was subjected to Jabba's "perversion", something that was obviously very traumatic for her. She had resisted him several times before and had been punished with beating by gamorrean guards (Tales from Jabba's Palace). So when Jabba pulls on her chain, his intentions clear, she resists hoping to keep away and suffer a beating rather than another night with her master. Jabba decided he had had enough of her disobedience and pulls her over the trapdoor and drops her in.
cafiwam is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #30
hezekiaah
Rookie

I agree with what you're saying...
I guess I didn't mean she was killed for being ditzy - mostly I was stating that it wasn't bright of her to resist and think she wasn't going to be killed for it. Maybe she'd been just beaten before, but it seemed like she didn't realize she was disposable somehow; why else would she stand over the trap door like that when she could go left/right and be okay?
Old 04-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #31
cafiwam
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezekiaah View Post
I agree with what you're saying...
I guess I didn't mean she was killed for being ditzy - mostly I was stating that it wasn't bright of her to resist and think she wasn't going to be killed for it. Maybe she'd been just beaten before, but it seemed like she didn't realize she was disposable somehow; why else would she stand over the trap door like that when she could go left/right and be okay?
It wasn't like she was standing over the trapdoor on purpose, Jabba pulled her there. Watch the scene again and right before Jabba presses the button and you'll see Oola yanked over the spot of the trap.And how is she supposed to react in time to move right or left? She would have first had to have realized Jabba's intentions to kill her and then somehow keep away from the trap. It seemed like she could barely keep away from Jabba who wasn't even puling his hardest, so even if she had known his plans I doubt she could have stayed away. She was probably naive for not realizing Jabba would kill her if she refused too many times, but stupid? No.

Also, before people start making the argument that she was stupid for resisting in the first place and she should have played it safe like Leia did, think about it for a moment. Oola had been a slave for sometime and had no real hope for escape or rescue. Leia on the other hand knew that help was coming and that all she had to do was survive until Luke arrived. So Leia acted the obedient slave to throw Jabba off his guard and make sure she didn't anger him enough to find herself in the rancor pit. If Leia had to spend the rest of her life with Jabba I'm sure she would have resisted more, and probably gotten herself killed before to long.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #32
SITH LORD 872

Ok first off, we were having some fun with the topic of Oola, No need to get offensive, And yes in some ways she was Ditzy, Stupid no, but Ditzy yes in a fun way though, not intended to make her seem brainless!!

Old 04-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #33
cafiwam
Rookie

I apologize if I sounded offensive to anyone in either of my posts, that was certainly not my intention. Sometimes its hard to tell what kind of tone I'm portraying in my writing so I'm sorry if there was some kind of misunderstanding. I realize this is all in good fun, but I saw what I thought were factual errors on this thread and decided to my opinions on them. I just find it hard to characterize Oola as ditzy from probably a grand total of 60 seconds of screen time, all of which she basically sits, dances, and is dropped into the rancor pit.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #34
hezekiaah
Rookie

No worries - I didn't take offense. I understand, there are probably multiple "factual errors" with what we were saying maybe...I guess I just usually look at what the movie seems to intend rather than all the back stories and whatnot that have arisen since. Being as her screen time is so short, and Jabba basically ignores her that whole time up until right before her death, then there can be a lot of speculation, which can't be backed up with fact, too true. Mostly I think it's a question of semantics (naive & ditsy, while one sounds more negative, are not entirely separate in their meaning; both mean ignorant, more or less).

Anyhow, you did have some great points cafiwam, and I did re-watch that scene. Indeed, Jabba does seem to tug her onto the door before he drops her. Kind of a silly observation that I noticed too, was that she had actually a lot of slack to her leash that she herself was holding the whole time. It's probably just a stupid movie glitch, but that kind of backs up your point of her naivety towards Jabba killing her; if she thought Jabba would feed her, she could have easily let go of the leash and run back quite a ways from him, instead of continuing to try and take the rest of the leash from Jabba. This is the original version I'm referring to, I don't know, SE might be different.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #35
cafiwam
Rookie

I suppose your right, naive and ditzy are very similar words with ditzy having a more negative connotation. I just thought people might be jumping to conclusions about her character without knowing the fully story of what happened.

After re-watching the scene I saw Oola holding a noticeable amount of slack from her chain as well. I think this might be the same length of chain she was holding while she was dancing. You might be right though, it could just be a continuity error from the film. Not really sure.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #36
SITH LORD 872

To be honest it would have been nice, To give a little inside her character, I honestly think that the last 3 should have been rewrote, as far as introducing characters!!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #37
cafiwam
Rookie

Well in the original script Oola's character was far more developed and she had a lot more to do. She actually escapes with Luke and the others and ends up joining the alliance as a dancer to boost morale or something. It would have been cool to see that but it would have probably meant sacrificing all the shots of Leia in her gold bikini, so even though I prefer Oola I don't think phasing Leia out as slave would have been smart.

Also Oola has been confirmed as one of the characters that will be on the Star Wars Live-Action show if it's ever made.The new series is focusing on minor characters and telling their stories so I'm looking forward to that. Unfortunately right now the show is kinda of on the back-burner and there's speculation about whether it will ever be made or not. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #38
hezekiaah
Rookie

I agree, her character should have been more fleshed out....Interesting, I thought I read that in the original script she escaped and got recaptured, and then meets her doom, not escape completely. I could be wrong. There were other deleted scenes with her that I wish they add in, rather than "tweak" scenes. Who cares if the film is longer - Lord of the Rings is like 3hours, no one minds

On the previous stuff - probably they had her grabbing her own chain because it'd be next to impossible to actually have a puppet grabbing and reeling a chain in. I still think she was trying to escape from him (she's really yanking on that chain a lot!), and so it could be that she was trying to take as much of her chain from Jabba, not realizing he would kill her for it.

I think their argument is generally pretty obvious too, but I still haven't actually seen an official translation of it - which is odd considering how every fake language seems to have a dictionary these days.

Last edited by hezekiaah; 04-22-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #39
cafiwam
Rookie

I actually got the information about the original script from an interview with Femi Taylor who played Oola in the film. Here's the site:

http://www.theforce.net/jedicouncil/...femitaylor.asp

Not sure about her trying to escape. I mean her chain is actually literally locked to the throne. It only unlocked when Jabba pressed the button. One of the source books has something about Jabba' throne and I'm pretty sure it said something about how his the switch on his throne simultaneously opens the trapdoor and releases the chain. Oola, however might not have known this.

As far as translations go, your right there is nothing official as far as I know. There is a huttese dictionary online (completewermosguide.com) but most of the words they were speaking either don't appear or too hard to make out. The only one we know is "Da Eitha" which means "come here" in huttese.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #40
SITH LORD 872

Thanks for the info, i too looked at a interview with Femi taylor, This one was about how good she looked after all those years of Return of the Jedi, seeing how they used her again in the Special edition scenes.

I really hope they do come out with a series, Based around certain characters, It couldn't be any worse than whats on the SyFy channel, Stargate SG1, Battlestar Galactica, Etc!!

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Original Trilogy > Jabba's Slave Dancer...