lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Avatar film causes depression/suicidal tendencies
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
RC-1162
Liquidious Fleshbag
 
RC-1162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,447
Current Game: SW:TOR
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Helpful! 
Avatar film causes depression/suicidal tendencies

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/...ues/index.html



I mean I can understand if people felt bad and/or disappointed with Avatar for not living up to expectations storywise (I know I was), but really, I can't understand how people actually took that CGI realm to their hearts and were deluded enough to think killing themselves would result in a "rebirth on Pandora"
RC-1162 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
Litofsky
Galaxial
 
Litofsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,546
For some reason, I recall a thread about this, but am unable to locate it.
Litofsky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend
 
Alkonium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Divinity's Reach
Posts: 3,882
Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
There's a reason I say "Never underestimate human stupidity." This is that reason. Let's have a look here at the many ways these people are idiots.

1. Dead is dead (that one's up for debate, if you want to get philosophical)
2. It's just a movie, and if you can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality, you've got bigger problems.
3. There's nothing in Avatar to suggest that something like that would happen.


Last edited by Alkonium; 04-10-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
It's because of this freaking propaganda that people believe this, if people are retarded enough to think the movie is reality then they have some serious issues
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
True_Avery
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,002
People will believe pretty much anything I've found, and if you present something that pulls at the right brain strings you'll get a good number of people who want to believe it exists. Considering the many different origins of religions, fanbases, roleplayers, and so on it doesn't really surprise me. This film was also cater made to do specifically, well, this.

What does sort of surprise me is why people would choose Avatar. The world... sucks. It is pretty, but you essentially want to be born into a backwards society with no technology, medicine, and so on surrounded by a ton of animals that want to eat you. If you want to replicate the experience then go live with a tribe in Africa.

Last edited by True_Avery; 04-10-2010 at 07:14 PM.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,254
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
You know, it never ceases to amaze me this kind of reactions to..... fiction.
Over certain music, or something that hits close to home I could understand.

One thing the definitely gets is an epic facepalm. I don't know whether to be more amused with or disturbed at this kind of reaction on such a large scale of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
There's a reason I say "Never underestimate human stupidity." This is that reason. Let's have a look here at the many ways these people are idiots.

1. Dead is dead (that one's up for debate, if you want to get philosophical)
2. It's just a movie, and if you can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality, you've got bigger problems.
3. There's nothing in Avatar to suggest that something like that would happen.
Right on. QFT

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."


Yeah, there are things out there that are somewhat a personal revelation, and it is individual thing. If you're reacting in this way, you need to sort it out. I'm sure we've all had that reaction at one point or another to various things.

Other times, though, it's indulgence or coping mistook for personal revelation--sadly which our increasingly entertainment centric societies are conditioning its audiences to have: Indulgence. I remember hearing about how the whole "Pink Floyd The Wall" had some kind of similar (though much smaller) reaction. Does it really hit home to that many people? Somehow I doubt it. I wonder if "powerful subconscious suggestion" (AKA hypnosis ) really has anything to do with it, or if it simply a result of what people are becoming from their dependence on entertainment media.

Some people really could do with tough love. Aye, ye olde irish solution be a swift kick in the arse and told to stop obsessin' with a film of fantasy. Aye, a gold doubloon to the people who continue to see reason and be not led astray.

Quote:
From the article:
(CNN) -- James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora.

On the fan forum site "Avatar Forums," a topic thread entitled "Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible," has received more than 1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope. The topic became so popular last month that forum administrator Philippe Baghdassarian had to create a second thread so people could continue to post their confused feelings about the movie.<snip>
IF there are any mental health professionals who are in a charitable mood, here's a good place to start.


Quote:
<snip>
A post by a user called Elequin expresses an almost obsessive relationship with the film.

"That's all I have been doing as of late, searching the Internet for more info about 'Avatar.' I guess that helps. It's so hard I can't force myself to think that it's just a movie, and to get over it, that living like the Na'vi will never happen. I think I need a rebound movie," Elequin posted.
Having nothing else to do could be part of it--getting up and getting out is advisable. And doing something, anything that makes you feel better about yourself and the world. Just a suggestion. I'm no mental health professional, but it really only takes a little common sense. Yes, it is rerouting that effort and energy, to something more constructive. I suggest you do it yourself while you're still capable and in control BEFORE you lose control and intervention is required.

Quote:
A user named Mike wrote on the fan Web site "Naviblue" that he contemplated suicide after seeing the movie.
Video: Depressed after 'Avatar'?
RELATED TOPICS

* James Cameron
* Movie Reviews
* Entertainment

"Ever since I went to see 'Avatar' I have been depressed. Watching the wonderful world of Pandora and all the Na'vi made me want to be one of them. I can't stop thinking about all the things that happened in the film and all of the tears and shivers I got from it," Mike posted. "I even contemplate suicide thinking that if I do it I will be rebirthed in a world similar to Pandora and the everything is the same as in 'Avatar.' "
This one has crossed the line IMO. Should probably get help.

Quote:
Other fans have expressed feelings of disgust with the human race and disengagement with reality.
Well, your disgust is understandable, but it's directed wrongly. If you see something wrong, do something about it... which would require that you be engaged in reality.

Quote:
Cameron's movie, which has pulled in more than $1.4 billion in worldwide box office sales and could be on track to be the highest grossing film of all time, is set in the future when the Earth's resources have been pillaged by the human race. A greedy corporation is trying to mine the rare mineral unobtainium from the planet Pandora, which is inhabited by a peace-loving race of 10-foot tall, blue-skinned natives called the Na'vi.

In their race to mine for Pandora's resources, the humans clash with the Na'vi, leading to casualties on both sides. The world of Pandora is reminiscent of a prehistoric fantasyland, filled with dinosaur-like creatures mixed with the kinds of fauna you may find in the deep reaches of the ocean. Compared with life on Earth, Pandora is a beautiful, glowing utopia.

<snip>
That's it? A SIMPLE PLOTLINE as this?! :facepalm: Aye porfavore, gimmie a break.

THIS is what is ALSO disgusting about the human race.

Quote:
"Virtual life is not real life and it never will be, but this is the pinnacle of what we can build in a virtual presentation so far," said Dr. Stephan Quentzel, psychiatrist and Medical Director for the Louis Armstrong Center for Music and Medicine at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York. "It has taken the best of our technology to create this virtual world and real life will never be as utopian as it seems onscreen. It makes real life seem more imperfect."
People even partially routed in firm reason don't have these sorts of reactions.


Quote:
The bright side is that for Hill and others like him -- who became dissatisfied with their own lives and with our imperfect world after enjoying the fictional creation of James Cameron -- becoming a part of a community of like-minded people on an online forum has helped them emerge from the darkness.
That's good to hear. However, the fact that these kinds of reactions exist on such a large scale should say something about the way that we live our lives.

Quote:
<snip>

Within the fan community, suggestions for battling feelings of depression after seeing the movie include things like playing "Avatar" video games or downloading the movie soundtrack, in addition to encouraging members to relate to other people outside the virtual realm and to seek out positive and constructive activities.
There you go. Some people IMO could really stand to be smacked upside the head. Repeatedly.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
There's a reason I say "Never underestimate human stupidity." This is that reason. ............
2. It's just a movie, and if you can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality, you've got bigger problems.....
Too true. It's almost amazing the number of clearly fictional ideas people will latch onto as a reason to kill themselves.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User
 
Ctrl Alt Del's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,814
Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
The world... sucks. It is pretty, but you essentially want to be born into a backwards society with no technology, medicine, and so on surrounded by a ton of animals that want to eat you.
Civilization, for some poor sods, is pretty much what you have described too. Just a bit more metaphorical.


Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
It's nice to see natural selection at work, at least something good will come of post 95' James Cameron.

Last edited by Samnmax221; 04-10-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
True_Avery
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,002
Still, why Avatar? I'd take the Harry Potter or Pokemon universe over it any day
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
Revan 411
Forumite
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 514
I'll admit that Avatar was a good movie, and I admire the message it delivered, but the fact that these people are depressed from watching it is... disturbing. It's true that the world in this current age is a bit "gray", but dreaming about some fantasy world won't fix that, and suicidal thoughts will just make things worse for the individual.

Plus, Earth is just as much wonderful as Pandora. The Planet Earth series, along with the 2007 Earth documentary pretty much proves that.


Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
These people a. need to sever their connections with the Mother Ship and b. seek some serious professional help.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
LordOfTheFish
Senior Member
 
LordOfTheFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 2,724
Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Everyday I lose more faith in the human race. And I'm still young.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #14
JediAthos
Senior Member
 
JediAthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,438
Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221 View Post
It's nice to see natural selection at work, at least something good will come of post 95' James Cameron.
^ This


"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2010, 11:59 PM   #15
Shem
Master of the Force
 
Shem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,900
Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
I'm not a bit surprised by some of the idiots out there. After seeing what people have written on my YouTube videos, I have pretty much lost all hope in the direction humanity is going. Sometimes I laugh at it, but other times when I think about it more seriously, that alone is depressing.


Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #16
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
It's amazing how the human race still prospers with the idiocy factor out there
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #17
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFish View Post
Everyday I lose more faith in the human race. And I'm still young.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
I'm not a bit surprised by some of the idiots out there. After seeing what people have written on my YouTube videos, I have pretty much lost all hope in the direction humanity is going. Sometimes I laugh at it, but other times when I think about it more seriously, that alone is depressing.
If you look for the bad, you'll always find it. If you concentrate on finding the good, you'll also find it, and it might inspire you to greater things as well.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2010, 02:10 AM   #18
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,254
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Banana View Post
It's amazing how the human race still prospers with the idiocy factor out there
Really? I'd personally say that there is a ton of prosperity from idiocy. That's the sad part of it.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2010, 04:35 AM   #19
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,845
Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
I'm depressed I don't have a lightsaber... or a holodeck... or a Quarian with an accent *sigh*



"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2010, 06:10 AM   #20
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,254
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
^^^If it makes ya feel better, I got smacked in the head with a fluorescent light tube a few years ago doing BYW.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2010, 06:17 AM   #21
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,845
Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
^^^If it makes ya feel better, I got smacked in the head with a fluorescent light tube a few years ago doing BYW.
in a sadistic kinda way.. it does. Thanks for the early morning laugh
I laugh only because you obviously survived

I used to launch fluorescent tubes in a trash compactor years ago and watch them collapse on themselves... you know, before I learned that it isn't a good thing to do. >.>


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #22
RC-1162
Liquidious Fleshbag
 
RC-1162's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,447
Current Game: SW:TOR
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
That's it? A SIMPLE PLOTLINE as this?! :facepalm: Aye porfavore, gimmie a break.
Especially after this started floating around (spoilers) : Lookie
RC-1162 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #23
Ping
Elementary.
 
Ping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 782
Roleplayer 
The problem is some (okay, judging by the article, alot) of people can't differentiate between reality and fiction, probably because they were never shown or outright told the difference.


"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2010, 05:52 PM   #24
Web Rider
Senior Member
 
Web Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: here
Posts: 1,768
For those of you who don't live in the trust-fund-baby, hippe-community that the California North Coast is, I'm not surprised you find this so surprising. While certainly people here don't watch movies much less shower, those who did see Avatar use it as more connon fodder in their destroy-society-live-like-the-animals arguments.

It's nice that some of these people are getting help, it's sad they exist to begin with, and sad...though not AS sad that they killed themselves.


"So if you go to Washington, it's buildings clean and nice. Bring a pack of matches...and we'll burn the White House twice!"

"Nobody's talking about extermination. No one ever does. They just do it." - Magneto

"Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice, unless you get a good percentage of her price."
Web Rider is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #25
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.
 
TKA-001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,535
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
I'm not a bit surprised by some of the idiots out there. After seeing what people have written on my YouTube videos, I have pretty much lost all hope in the direction humanity is going. Sometimes I laugh at it, but other times when I think about it more seriously, that alone is depressing.
I should hardly think that comments on YouTube are representative of the decline of humanity. It's the internet. People say stupid **** on the internet, they use bad grammar and spelling because they're particularly young or they don't care (with good reason, since it's the internet), and many are just feigning stupidity to rile other people up and take off steam from real life, and no, it's not pathetic or indicative of mental instability to do that (because trolling is very easy to do and takes no time at all unless lots of effort is put into it). People killing themselves or letting the things that matter in life stagnate and rot or over obsession with sources of entertainment (especially Avatar, of all ****ing things) is a far cry from 13-year-olds not understanding a video game's plot & older people trolling about it. This is why I sometimes am sad that really good movies and stuff exist, because they're so easy to get and dive into, and use as escapism to an unhealthy degree. In light of experiences I've had in the past year, I frankly feel terribly sick for the unlucky people, who, unlike me, either started to pull themselves out of obsession with Star Wars (for example) years past the point where I did, or never did at all. There is simply too many great things in the world that exist which people to go out and find for it to be justifiable for a person to just not go out there and get them. There are so many possibilities, so many glorious things that a person could accomplish in one day - one day - if they opened their mind and tried - just tried - to ignore the boundaries, both those which are given to us, and those that we give ourselves.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca (also known as Seneca the Younger) said: "Slavery takes hold of few, but many take hold of slavery." I think that saying applies greatly to the people of today. Almost all of us, especially those with internet addictions and other time parasites, live trapped in loops, almost reliving the same day over and over, but rather than the exact same thing, like in a time loop on a Star Trek episode the name of which I have forgotten, each day is a slight variation on the last. Many of the factors of these loops are ones which we ourselves build, bit by bit, just as Jacob Marely built every chain for himself that he wore in his afterlife in A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (or was it Mark Twain? Or David Copperfield? Just looked it up, it's Dickens.). The sinner puts these chains around himself, and even as he hates them, he hugs them tight, because they are familiar. He has spent years building and wearing these chains, they're one of the only things he's ever known for so long. They sicken him, make him wretch for how they hold him back, but he doesn't quite grasp to the extent that it is not the chains that hold him back as much as it is himself, because just as he built those chains, so also could he destroy them if he so chose. It sure as **** wouldn't be easy, because they're ****ing chains, but far from impossible. Almost none of them actually know this. Trapped in their own chains, their self-established loops, they keep doing the same thing over and over. It is similar to insanity which is often said to be doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, however, there is a key difference in the fact that they don't expect a different result. They don't expect a different result because they've been in the loop for so long that they don't know what different results they ever could expect or bring about. If their eyes were ever opened, however, for one day - one single twenty-four hour day - so many things might change. They would see the folly of their pointless endeavors, the hundreds upon hundreds of hours wasted, and for what? I won't lie here, not even to you - you people on the internet whom I will probably never meet in real life, and if I do I will never know so even that doesn't matter - I used to have the idea for the best Star Wars fan fiction saga ever - I spent so much time on that, pouring my life and soul into this well that my imagination had built.

For over a year, after some spurts of productivity on it, actually making progress ground to a halt, at which point it should have died, but it didn't. It ****ing didn't. But I just couldn't let it go. It was so good, so brilliant, it would have been the best thing ever. I just went on and on and on, agonizing over it when I could have been doing so many more productive things - studying, writing something that I wouldn't be ashamed to tell another human being about, praying for my own salvation, or what-have-you. But still it went on until I took a foray into the real word, the real ****ing world, and I ****ing saw what I was doing to myself. I had spent three days outside of my home, doing things with other people, doing stuff that I actually enjoyed, not a chore, a perversion of creativity that I was inflicting on myself. I was with people I liked, doing things we all believed in, nothing that we'd be ashamed to talk to each other about, unlike the story I was trying and failing to write. After those three days were over, I ****ing saw. And I knew that there are some things in the world that matter - and that saga that I was agonizing over, wasting my time on, was not ****ing one of them. So that story is now gone. But then.... About a year later, I did it again, sort of. But it was different now. This came after I started to truly despise the online community in general, with all its vanities and wastefulness, but more especially that of Star Wars, and even more specifically, that of a little-known spin-off series called Knights of the Old Republic.

After spending - Nay, ****ing raping and murdering so much time on the internet over these two games, debating the **** out of it with fellow idiots in my earlier days, I had come to despise that community the most, because it was the most specific fandom, the one that I had dived into the deepest, and I saw the dark heart of that abyss. I gazed into that abyss for so long that the abyss ****ing gazed back at me, into me, and it ****ing horrified me to think that I would go back to it after I had my revelation after the aforementioned three days. So I hated that fandom, truly I did, because it embodied everything, everything that I hated in my life - murder of time, waste of talent, squandering of one's gifts, doing it to yourself and knowing that across that vast, intangible domain that is the internet, many others are doing the same to themselves, and lots of them are even worse off than that, drowning in their own apathy, despite everything that could do with what they have. The KotOR fandom embodied apathy to me, embodied, stood for, or symbolized, in some way or another, everything in my life, everything in the world, that was wrong. So, after being inspired by such notable internet masterpieces as Halflife Fulllife Consequences (with several animated adaptations) and My Immortal (the best dramatic reading of which, by the way, is the one by three Scottish guys on YouTube known collectively as the LRMReading group, and I highly recommend their reading of the story as well as their other readings), as well as the novel Atlanta Nights (narrated on YouTube by a user known as manwithoutabody, but he does have a real name that I have forgotten) I figured that I would have my revenge by writing the best trollfic in the history of any fandom. I had had extensive experience in the fanfic community of the KotOR series, far more than I ever wanted, and I knew what the people liked, and what they hated. I had seen the worst **** ever produced in that community be praised to the best. And I read some of them and saw it as **** that it was, even though evidently nobody else in the entire ****ing universe did. I had seen it all; bad use of the English language, ****ty plots, idiotic wangst, self-insertion, blatant rape of established character traits and defilement of canon, all of it. I saw it and I was repulsed, but I also felt it was sad that apparently, while other popular franchises (Half-Life and Harry Potter to name two) had famously bad and hilarious fanfics written for them, Star Wars evidently didn't have any. So I would fix that.

I would write the worst KotOR fic ever, but it would also be the best. My sentiment at the time could be likened to the Joker as portrayed by Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight: "All you care about is money. This town deserves a better class of criminal, and I'm gonna give it to them." That's how I felt. All that community cared about was their stupid ****ing plots and stupid ****ing writing and characterization and everything else in their unholy, terrible ****. This fandom, I felt, deserved a better class of crap, and I would give it to them. A sprawling, epic masterpiece that was horrible, like their "masterpieces", but glorious in its awfulness, instead of just sickening. So I began. And like the disciples that accompanied Jesus to the Mount of Olives (don't remember what Gospel that's from), even though I was awake at the beginning, I had been awakened to what was horrible about how much time I had been wasting on Star Wars, I promptly fell right back asleep, so to speak. That was what happened. I had ****ing started over. Again I poured everything I had into this trollfic, and it truly was great. It was the best and worst fanfic in history, or, it would have been if it still existed today. But again, I had an epiphany, and again, I saw the horror that I was slipping into again, and I came to realize, after wasting an entire half-day, pretty much straight-through, on that ****ing trollfic, that if I was to have my true revenge - more importantly, though, my true victory - over Star Wars, then what I really had to do was just walk away and leave it to rot in the dead past where it belonged. This wasn't going to do me any good. It was hard, but I had to delete the story, even though I had made considerable progress. It just wasn't worth it. I had learned before, and I learned again, that there are greater things out there in the world. Great, wondrous things that I was going to miss if I wasted one more ****ing hour on this story. I knew that it was the best and worst fanfic that could ever have been made, but I knew what I had to do. Some sacrifices had to be made, and this story was one of them. Once again, I sacrificed my brilliant creation because it was the right thing to do, to save my ****ing life, quite frankly. For a time I was disappointed that it had come to this, that once again a product of my imagination, that I had put so much of myself into, would have to be destroyed. Regrettable, but the greater good must be served. True, it would have been a magnificent story. But again, some sacrifices must be made. And sometimes, the greatest stories of all are the ones that are never told. That story, like the ones before it, was one of them. And in the end, it will be for the best. Thus I saw, again. If I should misspend hours, days of my time, it should be out in the world, among other people. Making mistakes and finding myself. Not on the ****ing internet.

These Avatar-obsessed weirdos need an epiphany, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae
If you look for the bad, you'll always find it. If you concentrate on finding the good, you'll also find it, and it might inspire you to greater things as well.
Finally, my search for one person on the internet who isn't out of their ****ing mind is over.


"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #26
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title
 
Giant Graffiti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 828
Wow. That was inspirational.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #27
True_Avery
Banned
 
Status: Banned
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Thus I saw, again. If I should misspend hours, days of my time, it should be out in the world, among other people. Making mistakes and finding myself. Not on the ****ing internet.
So that is why you wrote a post that you probably spent an hour or more putting together with a passion?
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2010, 02:00 AM   #28
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be
 
Endorenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,140
Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-1162 View Post
Especially after this started floating around (spoilers) : Lookie


Fortunately, Avatar was--y'know--enjoyable, as opposed to the Pocahontas atrocity. (Well, I enjoyed it, at least. )

This is...well, dumb. It's really sad, but really dumb. Maybe if these people watched some movie where the other planet or whatever is a barren wasteland (in 3D), they'd decide the earth isn't so bad after all. Makes about as much sense as getting depressed because the earth isn't as pretty as Pandora.

Seriously, why can't these people seperate reality from fiction? I just don't get it. A planet made in a computer doesn't exist. Duh. And besides, Pandora isn't wonderful--it's a huge, beautiful playground for people who want the thrill of almost dying--repeatedly.


Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2010, 02:37 AM   #29
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,254
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-1162 View Post
Especially after this started floating around (spoilers) : Lookie
Wow...the person who made that connection is brilliant. They nailed it in the head.

Just like Pocanhontas has certain things omitted and slanted in the kid friendly version. The watered down version of Pocahontas was already bad enough... and yet Disney insults it further by making those abominable movies.

Whatever, it's water under the bridge by now.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2010, 03:21 AM   #30
Quanon
Senior Member
 
Quanon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lost in my own unconsiciousens
Posts: 2,599
Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
I should hardly think ....
Not on the ****ing internet.

These Avatar-obsessed weirdos need an epiphany, I think.
Cool, this is like a 70 minute review on uber-fandome on anysort of franchise

Anyway, killing yourself cause of Avater?
Yikes, seriously, something must have been out of place in these peoples lives before they saw the movie. Then again, super fans of anysort of thing are crazy enough to pull this off.

Reminds me of all the screaming girlzzz at the Beatles.
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #31
Gigalmesh
Lurker
 
Gigalmesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
If people are thinking of killing themselves because they watched a great movie humanity has gone to its lowest level ....
Gigalmesh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #32
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,345
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalmesh View Post
If people are thinking of killing themselves because they watched a great movie humanity has gone to its lowest level ....
I thought Kavar's indicated humanity has gone to its lowest level.

I keed!

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #33
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,760
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Why didn't people kill themselves after seeing Pocahantas, Dances with Wolves, and every other movie that Avatar copied...I mean was influenced by?



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #34
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title
 
Giant Graffiti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
Why didn't people kill themselves after seeing Pocahantas, Dances with Wolves, and every other movie that Avatar copied...I mean was influenced by?
Because Avatar's world looked kinda cool.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #35
Ghost
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in your head
Posts: 478
Current Game: NBA 2k11
Exactly, and speaking of, i think the suicidal tendancies are cause by these Avatar Ads i keep seeing here.
Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #36
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,845
Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
Why didn't people kill themselves after seeing Pocahantas, Dances with Wolves, and every other movie that Avatar copied...I mean was influenced by?
Trust me.. after watching Kevin Costner for 3+ hours in one sitting, I did contemplate suicide (Dances With Wolves)


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #37
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,047
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I thought Kavar's indicated humanity has gone to its lowest level.
Prime's post gives me suicidal tendencies or was that homicidal tendencies, I get confused with all the voices.



Last edited by mimartin; 04-12-2010 at 07:51 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #38
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,760
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
Trust me.. after watching Kevin Costner for 3+ hours in one sitting, I did contemplate suicide (Dances With Wolves)
Agh! One of my favorite movies! You should go to the midwest sometime...I think you might appreciate the movie more to be honest.



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #39
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.
 
ChAiNz.2da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tennessee (USA)
Posts: 6,845
Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
Agh! One of my favorite movies! You should go to the midwest sometime...I think you might appreciate the movie more to be honest.
heh, the movie I liked, the actor.. not so much


"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"


| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #40
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,760
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
heh, the movie I liked, the actor.. not so much
Agh! My 3rd favorite actor behind Clooney and Hanks!



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Avatar film causes depression/suicidal tendencies

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:16 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.