lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Man loses license after driving drunk in a Barbie car
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

Man loses license after driving drunk in a Barbie car

Man loses licence after drink-driving in toy Barbie car
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...arbie-car.html

Quote:
Chairman of the bench Neil Munson said: "This is most unusual. I have never seen the like of it in 15 years on the bench. The vehicle is not even capable of doing the speed of a mobility scooter and could be outrun by a pedestrian."
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Revan 411
Forumite

Haha, I find this hilarious in many ways...

I'll admit that he deserves to have his license banned, but why take away his vehicle? It's simply a toy that has no value.

Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Super Smash attack quaduple facepalm.

Both sides of the issue.......... I mean......... WTF? Seriously?!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
I really don't understand how that is legal if it doesn't even go fast enough to keep up with a moped....

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Erh.......drunk in public maybe... I guess technically it is a vehicle, but then again so is a bike...

Old 04-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
I guess technically it is a vehicle, but then again so is a bike...
And in some places in the world (including parts of the USA) you can get a DUI for riding a bicycle under the influence.

The strangest DUI Iíve seen was my uncle getting too drunk to drive at a bar. He was parked on the shoulder of a country road so he walked out of the bar and got into the back seat of the car. In the middle of the night he got cold so he put the keys into the ignition and started the car until it warmed up and then he turned off the car and passed back out. Only he did not remove the keys from the ignition. A few hours later he was woken up when someone hit his legally parked vehicle totaling out both vehicles. In Texas the intoxicated person is always at fault and since his keys were in the ignition not only was he at fault in the accident, but he received a DUI.

Also donít forget country singer George Jones received a DUI while driving his lawn mower to get more booze.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Just curious as to how they'dve treated this if not for the previous DUI conviction.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I would think that would all depend on the jurisdiction. Those that have gone to a zero tolerance that no longer allow judges to use common sense would most likely throw the book at a 2nd time offender.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Yeah, but what of a first time offender (which is what I was asking)? I agree w/you, though, that zero-tolerance policies often lead to some unreasonable judgements. Perhaps he'd have gotten a year's suspension as his original sentence (not his conditional suspension).

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 AM   #10
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
And in some places in the world (including parts of the USA) you can get a DUI for riding a bicycle under the influence.
I still think it's a tad excessive. But that's U.K. laws so I don't have much more to say other than if it were my laws I'd be opposed to that level of punishment. Also I'm not much a drinker.

Quote:
The strangest DUI I’ve seen was my uncle getting too drunk to drive at a bar. He was parked on the shoulder of a country road so he walked out of the bar and got into the back seat of the car. In the middle of the night he got cold so he put the keys into the ignition and started the car until it warmed up and then he turned off the car and passed back out. Only he did not remove the keys from the ignition. A few hours later he was woken up when someone hit his legally parked vehicle totaling out both vehicles. In Texas the intoxicated person is always at fault and since his keys were in the ignition not only was he at fault in the accident, but he received a DUI.

Also don’t forget country singer George Jones received a DUI while driving his lawn mower to get more booze.
Hmm. Well, that's a motorized vehicle capable of causing serious damage to property and serious injury and/or death. THAT is where I draw the line. (Or maybe it's just CA )

A bicycle, not so much (possibly if you get going fast enough which would require being able to ride it half competently).
An over-sized electric toy? Come on, really? A toy car essentially is no more capable of causing serious damages, severe injury, or death than walking would.
A drunk in public charge would still fit the bill quite nicely.

Also I imagine weather in TX is nowhere near hypothermia-inducing most of the time. A little known fact: an AC/DC band member did the same as your uncle save the keys in the ignition part. It was (wherever the location) out in -20 deg. F cold and the guy got in his car after major boozing and fell asleep. He died of hypothermia. And that is whom and what Ozzy refers to in "Suicide Solution". Not that I'd wager any Texan holds all that much love for Ozzy after what he did at the alimo so many years ago.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post

Hmm. Well, that's a motorized vehicle capable of causing serious damage to property and serious injury and/or death. THAT is where I draw the line. (Or maybe it's just CA )

A bicycle, not so much (possibly if you get going fast enough which would require being able to ride it half competently).
An over-sized electric toy? Come on, really? A toy car essentially is no more capable of causing serious damages, severe injury, or death than walking would.
A drunk in public charge would still fit the bill quite nicely.
I had someone close to me murdered by a drunk driver so Iím by no means unbiased or even rational about the subject matter.

However, it is not only the damage caused by the Barbie car, bicycle or lawnmower that you have to worry about. It is also the damage caused by other drivers swerving to avoid the drunk on the bicycle, lawnmower or Barbie car on a public roadway. If a drunk is off public roadways, then I see no reason for a citation beyond possibly public intoxication. That said, once they are on a public roadway operating a mode of transpiration then I see no reason not to give them a DUI.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #12
Te Darasuum Mandalor
Forumite

Current Game: POTC: New Horizons
I am not even going to ask! All right, I will! Why the heck would that "complete twit" embarrass himself in public by driving a barbie girl car? There are people down the street from us who have a pink barbie minivan.

Mrcharlton only uses LucasForums for social groups and RPs
Te Darasuum Mandalor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #13
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Darasuum Mandalor View Post
I am not even going to ask! All right, I will! Why the heck would that "complete twit" embarrass himself in public by driving a barbie girl car? There are people down the street from us who have a pink barbie minivan.
Who are you to judge?

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
All I can do is sit back and laugh...

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #15
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I'm at a loss as to why someone would lose their license for operating a vehicle that doesn't require a license to operate in the first place.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #16
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Who are you to judge?
Who are you to judge who is who to judge?

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #17
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
Lynk Former - Status: Administrator

Old 04-22-2010, 06:22 PM   #18
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

All members regardless of status: mere human beings, humanoids, and cyberspace entities which all fit under the category of anyone who can make a mistake and parasite the net. Including this guy, apparently.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #19
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
I've driven a barbie jeep down a flight of stairs, I was not drunk...

"Women are like sunsetsÖ theyíre beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #20
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKA-001 View Post
I'm Lynk

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #21
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
I've driven a barbie jeep down a flight of stairs, I was not drunk...
Please tell me it was the most awesome crash-landing you ever had and that jackass doesn't even hold a candle to you.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Man loses license after driving drunk in a Barbie car