lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Hollywood Video done for
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
True_Avery
Banned

Hollywood Video done for

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6260944...37;3Btitle%3B4

All Movie Gallery, Hollywood Video, and Game Crazy in the United States are closing due to bankruptcy. They were put out of business by netflix, Redbox rental kiosks, and compounding debt.

Not surprising. They have been falling like flies around here, and even Blockbuster has been catching up in the bankruptcy business. Wont be long before Blockbuster disappears as well. Still, sort of a shame considering me and my friends still rent movies and games (though, as I understand it, I'm one of the last of that dying breed).

Seeya, Hollywood Video
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Our Blockbuster went the way of the dodo last year. I didn’t notice until this past weekend when after dinner we decided to rent a movie and drink at home instead of venturing out on the highway. After spending 30 minutes looking for a video store I decided to just buy one at Target. Come to find out only one place rents movies around here now and they too are on the verge of extinction. Guess it isn’t that big a deal to me since I did not even know Blockbuster was closed.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
The Blockbuster in my town (in Australia, duh), is actually doing pretty well. They don't just hire out videos, they also SELL video games (and movies) as well... though an EB Games has opened up in my town recently so now they have a bit of competition.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo

Current Game: Mass Effect
I use Netflix.

Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I'm not surprised by this, it has been coming for awhile. I also believe that Blockbuster will follow as they are not doing well at all. You have Netflix for movies and Gamefly is doing fairly well on game rentals I think. Unfortunately the neighborhood movie store will become a think of the past.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #6
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Meanwhile, film piracy continues unabated.

quick somebody make a thread about the book industry collapsing, i want to continue this line of stylish posts

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #7
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
whats a Hollywood Video?

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2010, 05:03 AM   #8
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Renting videos was so 1990!

Later Hollywood video, hope you and Blockbuster video don't hit your behinds on the door on the way to oblivion...

Sorry but I never liked either of these businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
whats a Hollywood Video?
A dying breed of unneeded businesses we used to have a use for, but don't need anymore.

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Between Netflix, Xbox Live & living about 2 minutes away from a Redbox.. yeah, I'm not hurting.

I'm in RedHawke's camp... I never liked these businesses to begin with. Rewind fees, overpriced late charge fees (even after a couple of minutes), movie theater pricing for anything non-rental related etc.

Too slow to adopt the practices that started with Netflix really bit them in the arse.

Gamefly & Steam are the next big players to keep an eye on.. it would be good for retailers (if they haven't already) to start thinking about more lenient game rentals and pricing/buying options.... just saying.

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #10
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrez
Meanwhile, film piracy continues unabated.
This is inevitable. In most parts of Asia, there are no such things as DVD rental places - but moreso something like this:

As for my neck of the woods,

*consults memory map*

In my area, 3 video stores have completely closed, 2 downsized to less than half their original size. There are still a couple left.

To answer the question with regards to what people have been doing instead, the highest selling related items at local tech stores (as reported by friends who are employees there) are blank DVDs and external Hard drives

Related to this, these things are also epically popular.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 05-04-2010 at 01:05 PM.
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
I knew this would happen after every Hollywood Video in my town closed up.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #12
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrotoy7 View Post
This is inevitable. In most parts of Asia, there are no such things as DVD rental places - but moreso something like this:

That rack is pretty neat. Over here they just tie up 4-5 bundles of about 50 disks each with rubber bands. When you show interest in the stall, they give you each of the bundles to go through and buy what you like.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
There's one not far from I live also. Don't know if it's already closed, though will be soon enough it seems.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Hollywood Video done for