lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Hawking believes time travel possible
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-04-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Hawking believes time travel possible

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...est=latestnews

thoughts?

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2010, 01:44 AM   #2
True_Avery
Banned

His point is absolutely valid, but I'm not entirely sure I'd call it "time travel". I'd call it someone more like, subjective time acceleration or something. You can't really skip forward or backwards in time as much as you are working a sort of loophole in physics regarding speed and distance... Well, I guess that is sort of time travel.

The real question is how you build something capable of going that close to the speed of light that is bigger than a single atom, and capable of sustaining that speed and workability for upwards of 50+ years.

Last edited by True_Avery; 05-04-2010 at 01:49 AM.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2010, 01:50 AM   #3
Samuel Dravis

It sounds like he's just talking about time dilation. Is it just me or is that not really "startling"? It's been 95 years since Einstein, after all, and every sci-fi writer who ever lived has used time dilation in their stories. People should be used to it by now. If we say that is "time travel" then everyone should believe in time travel. Really it would be startling to find someone who didn't-- somewhat like finding someone who didn't believe gravity's effect existed, or something equally, mindbendingly, incomprehensible.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Dravis View Post
It sounds like he's just talking about time dilation. Is it just me or is that not really "startling"? It's been 95 years since Einstein, after all, and every sci-fi writer who ever lived has used time dilation in their stories. People should be used to it by now. If we say that is "time travel" then everyone should believe in time travel. Really it would be startling to find someone who didn't-- somewhat like finding someone who didn't believe gravity's effect existed, or something equally, mindbendingly, incomprehensible.
Ah, yes, that is the word I'm looking for. Time Dilation. Still, I think what Time Dilation and Time Travel are usually considered as being by the average person are different. I assume most people think "Back to the Future" or "Terminator" when Time Travel is brought up.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:00 AM   #5
Samuel Dravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
Ah, yes, that is the word I'm looking for. Time Dilation. Still, I think what Time Dilation and Time Travel are usually considered as being by the average person are different. I assume most people think "Back to the Future" or "Terminator" when Time Travel is brought up.
I agree, it's not time travel. I tend to think the author of the article spiced the title up to get eyeballs. As it is, I don't think Hawking is going to be labelled as a kook for talking about easily observable relativistic effects...

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
Arcesious
Trolololololololololololo

Current Game: Mass Effect
To the future, not the past. It is physically impossible, even with the time distorting effect of a black hole, for time to go backwards. Black holes could only slow you down (dilation) to an extremely slow pace. (As far as I know. It would be cool if it were discovered to work both ways.) Hypothetically you could use a black hole to pass time whilst the rest of the universe around you appears to go go into fast forward.

I just saw Hawking's show on Discovery channel, too... It's really dumbed down for the masses, which was disappointing. The only thing I really learned was that a quasar does almost the same thing as a gamma ray burst.

The optimism was sorely unrealistic, though I admire his strong sense of hope. I think he was going for the 'Carl Sagan effect', though it came off as unrealistic, and was so dumbed down that it didn't say nearly enough. Its flashy and cool, and at the heart of it, it was ultimately made this way to get a lot of people to watch it and appease the almighty ratings gods. I respect and admire Steven Hawking, but this was kind of disappointing.

Please feed the trolls. XD
Arcesious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread View Post
Hawking believes time travel possible
Hawking believes everything

I'm beginning to wonder if he's so smart, he's dumb.

Last edited by LordOfTheFish; 05-04-2010 at 04:53 PM.
LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
Fredi
El Guapo

I knew about the theory, so I'm not surprised. But I do believed it should not be called "Time Travel", it should be named differently so that it doesn't cause confusion.

"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Assuming one could travel faster than light(not currently possible at our understanding level) it would be possible to view events in the past. But actual travel through time? Well the whole Back to the Future kind is the least plausible. "Why?" you ask? As we travel through time at our normal 1:1 ratio, the Earth travels around the sun at around 67,000 MPHwhile rotating at approximately 1000MPH. So popping out of time into the same location 24 hours away would leave you about 1.6 MILLION miles away. Then we factor in the speed of the sun around the galaxy. Then the relative movement of the galaxy in the Universe, and you can bet that you'd be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNN NNNG way from a gas station.

Violating causality would be the least of your worries when you find yourself floating in space in a Delorian.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Tommycat; 05-04-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Of course time travel is possible. How else do you explain me being here?

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2010, 01:15 AM   #11
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheFish View Post
Hawking believes everything

I'm beginning to wonder if he's so smart, he's dumb.
I'm starting to wonder if you have a clue about what he actually believes, particularly since you were apparently too lazy to actually a) read the article or b) look at the rest of the posts in the thread.
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2010, 03:13 AM   #12
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Time travel has always been possible; you just need a Delorean and a Flux Capacitator.

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2010, 03:54 AM   #13
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
Oh, great! My secret to how I got to this time period is soon to be exposed.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2010, 05:29 AM   #14
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Hawking needs to stop thinking about the cosmos/shagging his nurse and get one of these - so much cooler than the Davros-seque chair.

View page
YouTube Video

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2010, 05:59 AM   #15
True_Avery
Banned

We can't let the Japanese build Iron Man first >:O
Old 05-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #16
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
Time travel would be like the European colonists arriving in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans at all. We should try to make sure that no one develops any such technology.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #17
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Here you go TA
Courtesy Raytheon SARCOS
View page
YouTube Video

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #18
Fredi
El Guapo

It's funny to think: People from the past are going to come to the future.

"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #19
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
suck it ms frizzle i told you so

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #20
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzella View Post
I'm starting to wonder if you have a clue about what he actually believes, particularly since you were apparently too lazy to actually a) read the article or b) look at the rest of the posts in the thread.
I read both the article and post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredi View Post
It's funny to think: People from the past are going to come to the future.
Ok I'm going to pretend I believe this for the purpose of conversation.

It seems like to me that if it isn't possible to return to the past than there isn't really a past at all. And if we were to travel into the future we wouldn't find our future selves there. Time sort of erases it self I guess is what I'm saying.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #21
True_Avery
Banned

Except this isn't "time travel". This is perfectly sound science at heart based on the theory of relativity. Time dilation is not "going into the future". You aren't skipping into dimensions like Terminator or Back to the Future; you're going at such an incredible speed that perceived time is slowed. Essentially you're pressing the fast forward button in a bubble going near the speed of light. Time dilation would make it possible for passengers in a fast-moving vehicle to travel further into the future while aging very little, in that their great speed slows down the rate of passage of on-board time. There is no future self for you to find because you are you.

The part to call him out on isn't so much the concept, but how anything the size of a ship could ever get that close to the speed of light. As of what we know now, it isn't physically possible to go faster.

It is primarily why things like Mass Effect and Star Wars have a mumbo jumbo science shield that keeps them locked in time while they travel, otherwise Han Solo would make a jump and, on the other side, several thousand years may have passed.

That aside, regarding his theory on wormholes: its a crap shot at what wormholes are. I'll reserve judgment on that particular piece of theory when I have a basic understanding of what the hell he's talking about.

Last edited by True_Avery; 05-05-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #22
deathdisco
Bastards of Young

Veteran Modder Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
It is primarily why things like Mass Effect and Star Wars have a mumbo jumbo science shield that keeps them locked in time while they travel, otherwise Han Solo would make a jump and, on the other side, several thousand years may have passed.
Or they use a "Warp drive".

deathdisco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Hawking believes time travel possible