lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: That damn ring...
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Enkil
Lurker

That damn ring...

Around the neck!
Been modding for a few days now and it was really going well, trying my hand at reskinning. I used the PMBAL01 (soldier skin) as my testing ground... so imagine my annoyance when I try the scout (PMBAM01) and see that he has this really ugly, differently coloured ring around the neck (slightly below, near the collarbones)!
I actually thought it was something I had done until I googled it and it seems that this Ugly Ring (tm) is part of the model, not the skin. ARGH!

So, of course, I was wondering if this is editable (got Gmax on a disc here somewhere...) - I am not very well versed in 3D modelling lingo so I don't know which of the modelling tutorials are meant for this...

Anyhow, help is appriciated.

Names are fleeting, given so your kind can point and say "That is mine." All words... names, history, dreams... they die on your lips. ~ The Water Dragon
Enkil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Rtas Vadum
Behold The Envoy...

Current Game: TES 4: Oblivion/3: Morrowind
Helpful! 
Think you could post a picture of what you mean? I've never seen anything like what you describe when I've edited that skin myself.

Rtas Vadum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #3
Enkil
Lurker

Certainly - this isn't my skin, it's from the skinpack of LordKunda or some such (I am using it as reference). But the problem is still there, no matter what skin I use (that is shirtless).

Here it is:

Show spoiler

Names are fleeting, given so your kind can point and say "That is mine." All words... names, history, dreams... they die on your lips. ~ The Water Dragon
Old 05-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
jimbo32
Rookie

Looks like the "ring around the neck" you're having trouble with is where the head model meets the body model. The two textures don't match, which is why the "seam" is more visible than normal. Same thing with the visible lines on the body - the different bits of the naked torso skin don't match.

I've never tried to texture naked skin before, but I suspect that the line between the head and body would be visible (at least somewhat) no matter what you try. I imagine that's why BioWare used underwear so extensively - if there's a clothing seam (or hem) at the same spot as the model seam, you can't notice the latter.
jimbo32 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
Enkil
Lurker

Ah, I wasn't referring to where the neck meets the body - I know they won't match (getting the right lobster colour is hard).
Ah, here, let me be more specific... this is my skin on an early stage.

Show spoiler

I am pretty sure that the ring I'm referring to isn't on the skin itself, seeing as I should have overwritten it with this skin - clearly not the case:/

Old 05-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
jimbo32
Rookie

Ah, I misunderstood. Sorry.

Does your base skin have an alpha channel mask, by any chance? That might cause a problem like that.
jimbo32 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets

Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
That, my friend, is a model issue. That 'ring' you see is shadows outlining the shape of the model. It would be pretty easy to change that. I might even be able to help you out if a modified body model is all you need in this case.

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Enkil
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo32 View Post
Does your base skin have an alpha channel mask, by any chance? That might cause a problem like that.
Er... that's all greek to me

VarsityPuppet: That would be awesome! So it was as I thought too, hm.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > That damn ring...

Tags
gmax, model, neck, ring, scout