lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Predators [Spoilers]
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
True_Avery
Banned

Predators [Spoilers]

My friends and I saw this movie last night and my general opinion is...

I feel freaking rickrolled by this movie.

It the -first- movie again. They are a group of bad a**es in a rainforest that are being hunted by Predators. You've got the tough leader guy (who does a bad job of acting like a supreme bad a**), the ethnic girl, the chaingun guy, the black guy... well, you've got a repeat of the original cast in a sense. Ok... I guess I can deal...

Except the Predators are just... awful. Their masks are freakishly huge compared to the rest of their bodies (more than usual, I mean), the makeup is pretty poor, the 3D is subpar, and the animatronics are outdated. Seriously some of the worst 3D fire effects I've seen in years, and the stealth effects and blood was far better done in the original... 23 years ago.

I guess I could give a spoiler warning... but its the same damn movie! I'll tag it anyway just in case:

Show spoiler

The Predators died one by one and never worked as a team, questioning why one would call this "Predators" in the first place. We met no Predator leaders or ultimate bada**es like we did in Aliens; its just a clone of the first movie with more than one Pred. Not to mention the cinematography, dialogue, and acting was just... awful. The camera angles for the Preds made them look like anime characters, and there are really odd scenes like this: They shoot a bunch, so they all say to do an ammo count... except nobody pulls their clips/magazines and counts their ammo, or looks at how much is left... They just say they have to, then promptly don't. Doesn't matter anyway; everybody has infinite ammo till they die... till their guns mysteriously disappear due to plot. (I swear, what the hell happened to the guy's shotgun at the end? Did he just throw it away?)

They had a -concept- there: A class war between aristocratic Preds and the smaller breed. The humans could have... I dunno, teamed up against a team of weaker, dishonored Predators being used for target practice and fought the far superior Wolf Predators. The humans and the Preds could have used their differing tactics and skills to outsmart and outgun the Wolves, and the humans that survived would have been seen as equals and, I dunno... taken home or integrated into their society... or f'in something. The movie, as it stands, doesn't actually even have an ending.

I... don't know why I pay attention to these movies anymore. Probably as a morbid curiosity for how far from the point the creators of these movies have fallen. Its just a little pathetic how Alien could go to Aliens, but Predator can't seem to do the same.

Did anyone else see this movie?

Last edited by True_Avery; 07-12-2010 at 03:16 AM.
True_Avery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
I seriously hope that the 97 lb Topher Grace's character is not classified as one of the "badasses" *cough*Venom*cough*

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I haven't seen it, but that's pretty much what I expected it to be. These kinds of movies are only good back in the late 70s and 80s when they were able to make them with a certain flare that can never be achieved again.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The original Predator was one of the best scifi action flicks of the 80s. Any remake was bound to suck and suck hard, so why remake it?

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
truJedi
Rookie

predaor remineds me alot of General Plo koon hes AWSOME

... I am Jacks Smirking Revenge
truJedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #6
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I actually liked this move to be honest TA, I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10, its nothing ground breaking, but it proved a diverting two hours, which I enjoyed, the plot was very simple and considering how awful, Alien 3, Alien VI, AvP, AvP 2, I think Predators was actually pretty decent by comparison...

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I never did understand why people hate Alien 3 so much.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
***scathing review***

Did anyone else see this movie?

Damn, now I'm having second thoughts. Will probably see it anyway, but thanks for the warning.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I never did understand why people hate Alien 3 so much.
spoiler:
Depends which version, the standard cut doesn't actually make sense, as they fail to show how it gets out again after they trap it, which is epic fail. The main problem with the film is it renders Aliens pretty much pointless as a) Bishop, Newt and Hicks all die and b) Somehow eggs are on ship?? I don't mind the directors cut of Alien 3, but essentially it's just a re-run of Alien, just no-where near as good...

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
spoiler:
Depends which version, the standard cut doesn't actually make sense, as they fail to show how it gets out again after they trap it, which is epic fail. The main problem with the film is it renders Aliens pretty much pointless as a) Bishop, Newt and Hicks all die and b) Somehow eggs are on ship?? I don't mind the directors cut of Alien 3, but essentially it's just a re-run of Alien, just no-where near as good...
It's the only Alien movie I never bothered watching beyond a few scenes.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #11
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Quote:
spoiler:
True, and I do like the director's cut a lot more than the original version... but it's not so bad that you'd group it with AvP.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:27 AM   #12
True_Avery
Banned

I don't -not- recommend seeing this movie. Its a good waste of, like, 2 hours but don't let the name or trailers (seriously, they lie outright about a few scenes) fool you; it is forgettable.

Quote:
I actually liked this move to be honest TA, I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10, its nothing ground breaking, but it proved a diverting two hours, which I enjoyed, the plot was very simple and considering how awful, Alien 3, Alien VI, AvP, AvP 2, I think Predators was actually pretty decent by comparison...
I actually thought it was on par with the first AvP, which wasn't a great movie, but yeah it is certainly still better than the rest.

I dunno, I found the "gore" in this movie is be just hilariously overdone. The theater laughed like crazy when the Pred skinned that dude with one pull... looked like a Mortal Combat death. Didn't help the movie that a lot of the gore was CGI.

Nothing much made sense in this movie and it didn't feel like following its own logic, as well as it being far too preoccupied referencing the first movie to try to be its own thing. It went past the line of "loving references" to "ripoff" within 20 minutes. Really, if I had the inclination to watch it again I'd just watch the first movie.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:30 AM   #13
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Avery View Post
Except the Predators are just... awful. Their masks are freakishly huge compared to the rest of their bodies (more than usual, I mean)
Only thing I could imagine when I read this is one of the Gen Mo Kai characters in Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 with a BigHead mutator on.

Goddamn those were the best days of my life.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #14
True_Avery
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Only thing I could imagine when I read this is one of the Gen Mo Kai characters in Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 with a BigHead mutator on.

Goddamn those were the best days of my life.
What ever happened to the "BigHead" and the like cheats?

I miss when everything had, like, 3 pages of cheatcodes.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Predators [Spoilers]