lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: EMI rock/canal puzzle issue
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Rosefull
Rookie

EMI rock/canal puzzle issue

I'm having a problem with the throw-the-rocks-into-the-canal puzzle on Monkey Island. I know the order is right, middle, left, left, and I know how to time the throws just right with the branches, but it never works. I never even see any little scene where a boulder flies off a cliff at all. (Well, I did the very first time, but I messed up that time.) Do I really have to get it right on the first try or like, load an old savegame or something? Or is there something I'm missing? Like, a reset trigger? I tried leaving and doing some other puzzles then coming back already. Nothing changed.

For the life of me, I can't remember. But I'm sure I didn't get it right on the very first try last time I played this game.

:: Rose ::
Rosefull is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
ATMachine
Hero of Many Lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosefull View Post
I'm having a problem with the throw-the-rocks-into-the-canal puzzle on Monkey Island. I know the order is right, middle, left, left, and I know how to time the throws just right with the branches, but it never works. I never even see any little scene where a boulder flies off a cliff at all. (Well, I did the very first time, but I messed up that time.) Do I really have to get it right on the first try or like, load an old savegame or something? Or is there something I'm missing? Like, a reset trigger? I tried leaving and doing some other puzzles then coming back already. Nothing changed.

For the life of me, I can't remember. But I'm sure I didn't get it right on the very first try last time I played this game.
There are several roots growing in strategic spots on the cliff face. The trick is to throw the next boulder as soon as the boulder currently rolling down the hill hits (and visibly disturbs) one of these roots.

Terrible puzzle, I know.

EDIT: Oh, wait, haha, I failed at reading comprehension, and you knew that already. But you should have the next rock already in Guybrush's hand and throw it literally as soon as a root moves. That's about all I can tell you.

If you're doing it right, the rocks should eventually collide with each other in such a manner that they divert onto other paths, with one ultimately going down the center hole.

"What color is the tree?"

Last edited by ATMachine; 07-20-2010 at 08:47 PM.
ATMachine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Rosefull
Rookie

Thanks for the advice! Oh, I swear I'm doing it right. I already had the rock in-hand and everything, but... man. I've deduced that whatever's going wrong is sometime in the later part of the puzzle; however, I still can't tell what it is. Even watching video walkthroughs isn't getting me anywhere.

EDIT: Ah-ha! Fixed. For some reason, the timing in my game was off. After some close observation, I discovered that I just had to throw one of the rocks a few seconds after the previous rock hit the branch. And I nailed it. ^^

:: Rose ::

Last edited by Rosefull; 07-20-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Rosefull is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > Help! > EMI rock/canal puzzle issue