lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Bioshock Infinite - Irrational Games Next Project
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-29-2013, 02:14 AM   #41
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
I've already seen some hentai of Elizabeth.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #42
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Of course you have, it's one of the most important rules of the Internet.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #43
HED
Rookie

Turns out Infinite is also Irrational's last project.

Quote:
A Message From Ken Levine

When Jon Chey, Rob Fermier and I founded Irrational Games seventeen years ago, our mission was to make visually unique worlds and populate them with singular characters.
We built Rapture and Columbia, the Von Braun and The Rickenbacker, the Freedom Fortress and some of the nastiest basements a SWAT team ever set foot into. We created Booker and Elizabeth, the Big Daddy and the Little Sister, MidWives and ManBot. In that time, Irrational has grown larger and more successful than we could have conceived when we began our three-person studio in a living room in Cambridge, MA. Its been the defining project of my professional life.

Now Irrational Games is about to roll out the last DLC for BioShock Infinite and people are understandably asking: Whats next?

Seventeen years is a long time to do any job, even the best one. And working with the incredible team at Irrational Games is indeed the best job Ive ever had. While Im deeply proud of what weve accomplished together, my passion has turned to making a different kind of game than weve done before. To meet the challenge ahead, I need to refocus my energy on a smaller team with a flatter structure and a more direct relationship with gamers. In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience.

I am winding down Irrational Games as you know it. Ill be starting a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two. That is going to mean parting ways with all but about fifteen members of the Irrational team. Theres no great way to lay people off, and our first concern is to make sure that the people who are leaving have as much support as we can give them during this transition.

Besides financial support, the staff will have access to the studio for a period of time to say their goodbyes and put together their portfolios. Other Take-Two studios will be on hand to discuss opportunities within the company, and well be hosting a recruiting day where well be giving 3rd party studios and publishers a chance to hold interviews with departing Irrational staff.*

Whats next?

In time we will announce a new endeavor with a new goal: To make narrative-driven games for the core gamer that are highly replayable. To foster the most direct relationship with our fans possible, we will focus exclusively on content delivered digitally.

When I first contemplated what I wanted to do, it became very clear to me that we were going to need a long period of design. Initially, I thought the only way to build this venture was with a classical startup model, a risk I was prepared to take. But when I talked to Take-Two about the idea, they convinced me that there was no better place to pursue this new chapter than within their walls. After all, theyre the ones who believed in and supported BioShock in the first place.

Thanks to Irrational and 2Ks passion in developing the games, and the fans who believe in it, BioShock has generated retail revenues of over a half billion dollars and secured an iconic place in gaming. Im handing the reins of our creation, the BioShock universe, to 2K so our new venture can focus entirely on replayable narrative. If were lucky, well build something half as memorable as BioShock.

-Ken Levine

"HOW CAN YU TRET MEH LIKE DAT"
HED is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #44
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
"We just made half a billion dollars in revenue with the help of Bioshock - a series that just screams money-maker - so we've decided to lay-off the majority of our staff so that I can go work on something else."

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really understand what he was trying to say...

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2014, 04:42 PM   #45
HED
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
"We just made half a billion dollars in revenue with the help of Bioshock - a series that just screams money-maker - so we've decided to lay-off the majority of our staff so that I can go work on something else."

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really understand what he was trying to say...
I get the impression that all the praise Levine has gotten has gone to his head. Given that he just decided to have the majority of his staff layed-off because he doesn't want to make games like that anymore (instead of, say, just leaving to start a new studio with Irrational left intact), I'm getting the impression that he's rather self-centered.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:02 PM   #46
Obi-Wan Bologna
Rookie

I get the feeling maybe he is Irrational..... punny

Formerly Obi-Wan Baloney
Obi-Wan Bologna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #47
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
"Damned if you do, damned if you don't."

If he were to continue with Irrational Games we would say he was only after money, milking the franchise long after its prime. He quits to form a new leaner company to make the new game he envisions, and we criticize him for that too. Just find it all too funny, carry on.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #48
urluckyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
"Damned if you do, damned if you don't."

If he were to continue with Irrational Games we would say he was only after money, milking the franchise long after its prime. He quits to form a new leaner company to make the new game he envisions, and we criticize him for that too. Just find it all too funny, carry on.
So...he can't just leave Irrational to someone else while he goes to pursue other interests? He has to essentially shut down the entire studio?

Old 02-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #49
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I've always seen developers from one game always end up moving from studio to studio, whether they're well known and in the spotlight types or not. If people within Irrational feel that it's time to move on, then that's fine. If the brand is shut down, then that's fine too.

Otherwise you get a situation where it just becomes a zombie-developer like Rare owned by Microsoft. It has the brand attached to it but it's a studio that does nothing, has a bunch of no-name people and all of the people who made Rare what it was back in its glory days are all gone.

Also, I wrote this post without my contact lenses in so I have no idea what I just wrote.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #50
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
So...he can't just leave Irrational to someone else while he goes to pursue other interests? He has to essentially shut down the entire studio?
You every own a business? Personally I am not turning over a company I built over to someone unless I trust them with my life. So yeah, I would shut the thing down if I did not have that person in my life or if that person was not able or willing to take it over.

Read what he wrote, he says he is taking care of the employees, he did not just kick them to the street with only a moments notice. He is both giving them time and support.

Most likely he could of sold his soul to a bigger studio and made decent coin and we would have be criticizing him for that too.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #51
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

That makes complete sense... like I said, better to go out gracefully than to sell off your company to some douche who ends up gutting it of its former glory like Microsoft did with Rare.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #52
HED
Rookie

Quote:
Most likely he could of sold his soul to a bigger studio and made decent coin and we would have be criticizing him for that too.
Irrational was already owned by 2K Games.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:24 AM   #53
urluckyday

Quote:
You every own a business? Personally I am not turning over a company I built over to someone unless I trust them with my life.
That makes no sense to me. So he doesn't want to be part of Irrational Games anymore, so why does he care what happens with the name after he's gone? I just don't get that at all.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:57 AM   #54
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Since HED pointed out that Irrational is owned by 2K Games. The higher-ups at 2K would easily keep the name, but they agreed to let it go. For what reason they did it doesn't matter since either way, the developers involved would end up working at a different studio working on different projects from the one they started out with that had the key personnel that led the studio into certain directions.

As I keep mentioning... is Rare the Microsoft owned developer still Rare? It has the name, but they don't make games any more, it's just a bunch of people making clothes and items for the 360 avatars now. So is the name really all that important or are the people important? And if the people are important, that would mean that if those same people end up at a different studio within 2K, then they'll continue to work on other titles, possibly future BioShock games helmed by 2K.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #55
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HED View Post
Irrational was already owned by 2K Games.
He must have still retained some control or this would not be his decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
So is the name really all that important or are the people important?
The people are what is really important, but name can give the illusion of importance.

Say you started Moo Cow Glue Company, you made the best glue ever and you take pride and instill that pride in your employees for producing the best glue. Then you decide to sell and I buy it. I use cheap materials and now Moo Cow Glue Company produces a lousy product. Still some people will buy it just because they remember the good old days when it was the best glue on the market. They will not know Lynk is gone and I am a jerk just after the money.

Think it would even be a bigger deal for a company where creativity and innovation is important such a designing games.

Last edited by mimartin; 02-20-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Bioshock Infinite - Irrational Games Next Project