lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Firechrome 4 beta
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-16-2010, 02:38 AM   #1
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
Firechrome 4 beta

Anyone else download the firefox 4 beta and notice that they basically copy and pasted google chrome? Anyone else kind of upset? I enjoyed having 20 applications and decorations and skins for my firefox to make it look all pretty and be as efficient for me to do stuff as I was willing to make it. Now I have google chrome with a black skin. Cooool update firefox.

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Notable contributor Helpful! Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawathehutt View Post
I enjoyed having 20 applications and decorations and skins for my firefox to make it look all pretty and be as efficient for me to do stuff as I was willing to make it.
Your'e upset the beta doesnt support all your favourite themes and extensions? Why did you install it?

Quote:
Now I have google chrome with a black skin
Nope, that's what chromifox carbon is - my favourite FF skin/extension Mozilla/FF responds to the demands of its users. The fact that it, chrome and opera have so many overlapping features now is a sign of developers responding to the needs of the users. The main thing FF4 steals from chrome is running tabs as separate processes, which is a huge update from a stability perspective.

Quote:
Cooool update firefox.
The FF4 beta is a voluntary install, so if you updated and don't like it, roll back to 3.68.

I personally like the look of Chrome, but there are still some extensions lacking, which means I uses FF most of the time. I prefer chrome as a portable browser though

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 08-16-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Astrotoy7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
The lack of addons happens with every major update of Firefox, like 3.0, 3.5, 3.6 or 4.0. Authors of the more popular addons generally keep their addons updated into the future, some don't and are left behind and usually someone comes up with an alternative to those.

Apart from that, I don't really see what's to complain. They could turn the browser into an IE clone for all I care, so long as the addon flexibility stays.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
I understand that my addons wont work and such, the skin just seems too damn minimalist, which I guess is what the cool kids are doing now a days. And I'm back to firefox 3.whatever. The pages for me load faster on it anyways

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
It's just the default look of the browser. The default settings shouldn't be a concern to a poweruser such as yourself, it is intended for the thousands of people who use Firefox without knowing or caring about addons.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawathehutt View Post
I understand that my addons wont work and such, the skin just seems too damn minimalist
minimalism is good Remember these days....

I wonder if IE9 will get that Metro inspired UI that has done the rounds in mockup pics...

I'm a big fan of chromes tabs style, which is why I use its FF equivalent.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat
Old 08-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Pho3nix
#rekt

10 year veteran! 
Show spoiler

...I don't think it looks that snazzy. I'm so used to the current Firefox design I'm gonna have a hard time getting used to the new one (again). >_>

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
I think I'm going to hold off until it's no longer a beta, and more extensions are compatible. Forum browsing is just so much better with AutoPager.

Hit And Run Poster Extraordinaire
--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-16-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
I think I'm going to hold off until it's no longer a beta, and more extensions are compatible. Forum browsing is just so much better with AutoPager.
AutoPager works as far as the third beta of Firefox 4. >_>

Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Actually this is closer to what Opera has right now than Chrome. Plus the whole top tab design has been floating around development circles for quite awhile now so it's not really a "Chrome" thing. Also, this design is an OPTION. So you can change the style back to a traditional style with the check or uncheck of a box. There are other changes you can make to the UI as well...

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
Astrotoy7
A Face from The Past

There are many a nerd that swear by Maxthon - not as fussed personally. These days, browser of choice is often related to specific extensions we really like.

I flit between FF and Chrome these days, and an occasional IE compatibility detour. My favourite FF exclusive add-ons are power twitter, integrated gmail and the google redesigned skins - which is probably why I use FF the most. I'm looking forward to the IE9 beta - which is officially due mid Sep. I'll at least give it a go for curiosity's sake

For those that enjoy replicating their personal/home browser experience on public computers such as work or school etc - definitely check out the portable versions - which you can install on a usb stick complete with all your bookmarks, themes and add-ons. Just in case anyone hasnt tried this yet and is interested to do so >> here are some links for your convenience:

portable chrome

portable FF

I personally prefer chrome portable, which has flash built in, and generally runs a bit snappier.

mtfbwya

Asinus asinum fricat

Last edited by Astrotoy7; 08-17-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I used Chrome on my netbook since it's light and no nonsense, but with my PC I use Firefox all the way since I use a lot of the extensions... particularly the web design and development tools.

For me, in terms of web development, I like the way Firefox displays things the most.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-18-2010, 11:19 PM   #13
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I'm not switching to anything else unless it has the Red Cats (blue flavor) skin.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Firechrome 4 beta