lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Lucas: I'm doing Star Wars in 3d OMGROFL!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #41
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Damn, most of you guys are dead inside!
Imma Zombie?
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #42
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
I think it'd be pretty cool to see SW at a cinema, in 3D. you people smell of cynicism...
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #43
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
There is this other gimmick called contact lenses.
Certainly true, however my dexterity as far as that's concerned is such that I'd be blind before too long.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #44
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I'm not...but if I discover otherwise I'll let ya know

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #45
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I'm not convinced!

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #46
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
The reason I refer to Blu-Ray/HD as a "gimmick" is that the technology itself is hardly that much superior to DVD/SD quality on most standard screens; and I don't know about the other ~20 year old students around here, but I don't have $3000+ lying around to shell out for an HD television, nor the extra disposable income to throw away on the Blu-Ray discs themselves (I can buy the same movie on DVD for $20 or less that on Blu-Ray costs anywhere from $40 to $60). Both technologies are simply far too expensive to be commercially viable, and I expect they will be for at least another five years, if not longer.

I don't deny that 1080p is a significant step forward in the way we make and view movies and television. But in my opinion, the fad that is HDTV and Blu-Ray has hit about a decade too early. Lucas could make far more money if they made this move in 2015 or later, when the technology is affordable enough to be in every home. But alas, people like myself who can't afford the technology get this massive backlash of people questioning our taste, values, sanity, etc. (lookin' at you, adamqd) simple because we don't get ourselves excited over something that is, for the foreseeable future, beyond our financial reach.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #47
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Most Blu-Rays I purchase are about $9.00 over the price of a DVD and while I was stupid enough to pay over $3000 for my HDTV, the same size TV today is less than 1/4 of that with a better picture than mine. A 46 Sony Bravia 1080p is selling for 829.00 on Amazon. I paid over $3000 for a Sony Bravia 32 inch 1080i about 21/2 to 3 years ago. Still when I was in college I would not have been able to afford even the 32 Bravia selling for 549.00 today unless I gave up drinking.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #48
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
But alas, people like myself who can't afford the technology get this massive backlash of people questioning our taste, values, sanity, etc. (lookin' at you, adamqd) simple because we don't get ourselves excited over something that is, for the foreseeable future, beyond our financial reach.
Dont gimme that Crap, you at me so I at you back, nothing regarding Values sanity or financial situations was mentioned.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #49
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Most Blu-Rays I purchase are about $9.00 over the price of a DVD
I can't say I've seen any price difference that small. Everywhere I look Blu-Rays are selling for at least $15-20 more than a DVD copy of the same thing. And the sad thing is, the price difference seems to grow the older the movie gets; the DVD drops down below $20 in a few months, but the Blu-Ray doesn't go much below $35.

Quote:
I was stupid enough to pay over $3000 for my HDTV, the same size TV today is less than 1/4 of that with a better picture than mine. A 46 Sony Bravia 1080p is selling for 829.00 on Amazon. I paid over $3000 for a Sony Bravia 32 inch 1080i about 21/2 to 3 years ago.
$3000, $850, it makes little difference - it's still too expensive for me these days, particularly considering the near-unnoticeable (at least to me) difference in quality between SD and HD media. I can't understand people who'd rather pay nearly $1000 for a screen whose picture is not significantly different from one that costs $150-$200.

Quote:
Still when I was in college I would not have been able to afford even the 32 Bravia selling for 549.00 today unless I gave up drinking.
I'm in much the same situation, but worse - instead of drinking, I'd had to give up paying rent. Which believe me, I'd love to do, but just can't justify doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
Dont gimme that Crap, you at me so I at you back, nothing regarding Values sanity or financial situations was mentioned.
I apologise if you feel I overreacted to your comment, but I'm sure you'd sympathise if everyone and his brother were criticising you because you'd bought into HDTV and Blu-Ray. I can't buy a DVD without someone bending over backwards to try and push the Blu-Ray copy on me, heralding it as the greatest form of media since cave painting and putting me down when I choose to stick with the affordable option. Still I'll be sure to give you the benefit of the doubt in similar cases in the future.

Last edited by The Doctor; 09-30-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #50
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
I can't say I've seen any price difference that small. Everywhere I look Blu-Rays are selling for at least $15-20 more than a DVD copy of the same thing. And the sad thing is, the price difference seems to grow the older the movie gets; the DVD drops down below $20 in a few months, but the Blu-Ray doesn't go much below $35.
I bought Iron Man 2 SE Blu-Ray yesterday - $24.99 while the DVD SE was $22.99

Also purchased

Robinhood (Director's Cut) Blu-Ray - $25.99 while the DVD (Director's Cut) was $19.99.

In buying older movies on Blu-Ray I usually just wait for them to go on sell. I'm not going to replace a DVD with a Blu-Ray unless it is my favorite Movies (Star Wars) or it is a good deal.

Last edited by mimartin; 09-30-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #51
The Doctor
Retired

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I bought Iron Man 2 SE Blu-Ray yesterday - $24.99 while the DVD SE was $22.99

Also purchased

Robinhood (Director's Cut) Blu-Ray - $25.99 while the DVD (Director's Cut) was $19.99.

In buying older movies on Blu-Ray I usually just wait for them to go on sell. I not going to replace a DVD with a Blu-Ray unless it is my favorite Movies (Star Wars) or it is a good deal.
I suppose the price difference is, plain and simple, smaller in the States than it is here... a pity. I really hate being given reasons to be venomously opinionated.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #52
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I didn't see Avatar in 3D, but I did see Toy Story 3, and I was pretty impressed with the new 3D. It was weird at first because I, too, wear glasses and two sets of specs is awkward, but I got used to it in a couple of minutes and thoroughly enjoyed the film. Would've been less awkward had I worn contacts, but I hate contacts (or, rather, my eyes do), and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if 3D clip-ons became available in the near future.

As to the effect of watching the new 3D, well, it's pretty easy to say that it's light-years ahead of the 1950s/1980s 3D movies that I've seen, but that's to be expected. For various reasons, some people still won't like it, though, and they should be given the option to view movies in 2D if they want.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #53
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzella View Post
I think it'd be pretty cool to see SW at a cinema, in 3D. you people smell of cynicism...
I think it'd be great to see Star Wars at the cinema's or at home in 3D too... I just don't think current 3D technology is very good and can't understand why people are suddenly excited about current 3D tech which has been around for many, many years... that's not cynicism... I'm just aware that companies have found a new (old) goldmine to exploit and haven't actually done anything new and wonderful... so, when a newer and BETTER form of 3D is invented... and it is actually something to behold, I'll be the first one in line to watch everything in 3D.

Quote:
The reason I refer to Blu-Ray/HD as a "gimmick" is that the technology itself is hardly that much superior to DVD/SD quality on most standard screens; and I don't know about the other ~20 year old students around here, but I don't have $3000+ lying around to shell out for an HD television, nor the extra disposable income to throw away on the Blu-Ray discs themselves (I can buy the same movie on DVD for $20 or less that on Blu-Ray costs anywhere from $40 to $60). Both technologies are simply far too expensive to be commercially viable, and I expect they will be for at least another five years, if not longer.
Ever watched DVD using an RF cable on an older TV?... You'd swear you were watching VHS again But then to get the most out of DVD, at the time you needed a newer TV and at least composite cables, you know, the yellow cable for video and red and white for audio. You have to remember that many people had to go through that with the switch from VHS to DVD.

Also... I've bought Blu-ray's for pretty cheap... well... down here in Australia The problem with everyone else is that they don't have JB HiFi... if you did then you'd be able to get a tonne of Blu-ray for pretty damn cheap cause they always have price cuts of all kinds and buy 1 or 2 and get another free or whatever. If it wasn't for JB HiFi then I wouldn't have over 100 Blu-rays already XD

Quote:
I don't deny that 1080p is a significant step forward in the way we make and view movies and television. But in my opinion, the fad that is HDTV and Blu-Ray has hit about a decade too early. Lucas could make far more money if they made this move in 2015 or later, when the technology is affordable enough to be in every home. But alas, people like myself who can't afford the technology get this massive backlash of people questioning our taste, values, sanity, etc. (lookin' at you, adamqd) simple because we don't get ourselves excited over something that is, for the foreseeable future, beyond our financial reach.
A lot of people have HDTVs and are investing in Blu-ray and HD media... I mean, if not for movies, then look at all of the people who are playing HD consoles like the PS3 and Xbox 360. You can't deny that HD media has been extremely popular and is definitely NOT something that has come early.

And it's fine if you can't afford the new tech because you still have DVD, but the point that people are trying to make is that just because you can't afford something, it doesn't make it a gimmick... it's STILL a progression whether you're able to progress with the rest of the world or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
I didn't see Avatar in 3D, but I did see Toy Story 3, and I was pretty impressed with the new 3D. It was weird at first because I, too, wear glasses and two sets of specs is awkward, but I got used to it in a couple of minutes and thoroughly enjoyed the film. Would've been less awkward had I worn contacts, but I hate contacts (or, rather, my eyes do), and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if 3D clip-ons became available in the near future.

As to the effect of watching the new 3D, well, it's pretty easy to say that it's light-years ahead of the 1950s/1980s 3D movies that I've seen, but that's to be expected. For various reasons, some people still won't like it, though, and they should be given the option to view movies in 2D if they want.
As I've been trying to say for awhile now, this form of 3D isn't new... it's newER than the cyan and red paper glasses type 3D we've had forever, but it's still not new XD

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2010, 08:45 PM   #54
Seikan

Quote:
I mean, if not for movies, then look at all of the people who are playing HD consoles like the PS3 and Xbox 360. You can't deny that HD media has been extremely popular and is definitely NOT something that has come early.
Well the main difference is that the difference between a blue ray, and a DVD, is a difference smaller than the one between the old and new consoles. Look at the first halo, and now Halo reach for example, the difference is something... HUGE, is like in the modding here of kotor, anyone want to get big textures to have better details etc, no one would mod with the lowest textures, because it's like seeing an ald movie from 20 years ago, and compare it with now a new brand movie in blue ray.

So we can't really compare video games and movies.

Last mod:
-Seikan's Armors Of The Old Republic:http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...74#post2738274
Seikan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #55
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seikan View Post
Well the main difference is that the difference between a blue ray, and a DVD, is a difference smaller than the one between the old and new consoles. Look at the first halo, and now Halo reach for example, the difference is something... HUGE, is like in the modding here of kotor, anyone want to get big textures to have better details etc, no one would mod with the lowest textures, because it's like seeing an ald movie from 20 years ago, and compare it with now a new brand movie in blue ray.

So we can't really compare video games and movies.
Have you seen Halo 3 and Modern Warfare 2 played on an SDTV? I have because my nephew was silly enough to hook up his consoles to his crappy little standard definition CRT instead of the big 1080p HDTV they have in the living room. The difference was night and day and it was as if I was watching him play Halo 1 and 2 and past Call of Duty games on the PS2 or original Xbox... Thankfully I convinced him to unplug his consoles from his TV and plug them into the one in the living room via HDMI and it totally blew him away at the difference in quality he was seeing.

So YES, we CAN compare video games and movies this way since we're only talking about the end result of what is viewed on screen and not the behind the scenes mechanics of it all.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #56
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
As I've been trying to say for awhile now, this form of 3D isn't new... it's newER than the cyan and red paper glasses type 3D we've had forever, but it's still not new XD
Depends on how you define new. I do know the use of HD video cameras have made a world of difference to 3D as well as all movies. I consider that new technology, but what do I know I'm old.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #57
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ mim: That's why in the past this sort of thing was used in IMAX since technically IMAX is "beyond HD"...

Old 10-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #58
Drunkside
Satan´s little helper

Quote:
I dont think so, I consider myself dead inside but I kinda want to see these in the cinema. I wont buy them, but I can spare an extra 8e per year to go see them

Saivo´s New demo, A Cruel Northern Land is out! Listen to it on our mikseri.net bandpage.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=117610
Drunkside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #59
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

No, no! I think you have it backwards. I'm saying that those who are all bitter about Lucas even doing this and say they don't want to go see it are dead inside.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #60
JediAthos

I can watch Star Wars any time I want on my beautiful HDTV. I don't need 3D to make my life complete...sorry.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

Old 10-01-2010, 06:45 PM   #61
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
No, no! I think you have it backwards. I'm saying that those who are all bitter about Lucas even doing this and say they don't want to go see it are dead inside.
Hey if I can go see them at the cinema or IMAX (if only) as they are then fine, but in 3D? Never.

It's not just because I wear glasses that it's putting me off, I just don't get what the point of it is, it doesn't make any movie more impressive at all, the technology is impressive yes, but it serves no real practical purpose other than being able to charge more for cinema tickets and new tv sets...

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #62
JediAthos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun View Post
Hey if I can go see them at the cinema or IMAX (if only) as they are then fine, but in 3D? Never.

It's not just because I wear glasses that it's putting me off, I just don't get what the point of it is, it doesn't make any movie more impressive at all, the technology is impressive yes, but it serves no real practical purpose other than being able to charge more for cinema tickets and new tv sets...
QFT...I'm right there with ya.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #63
Drunkside
Satan´s little helper

Quote:
Nope, i just meant that it must be something else than being dead on the inside if i am but still want to see them

Saivo´s New demo, A Cruel Northern Land is out! Listen to it on our mikseri.net bandpage.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=117610
Drunkside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2010, 01:30 PM   #64
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkside View Post
Nope, i just meant that it must be something else than being dead on the inside if i am but still want to see them
Ah ok, gotcha now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos
I can watch Star Wars any time I want on my beautiful HDTV. I don't need 3D to make my life complete...sorry.
Sure, neither do I. But I do enjoy the experience of watching movies I love with a large crowd that feels the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun
I used to think that way. But seeing Avatar in 3D really pulled me into that world. Yes, some 3D is done better than others and it remains to be seen how 3D Star Wars would turn out, but the idea of seeing some of the iconic moments (trench run, hoth battle, asteroid field chase) in 3D is appealing enough to me not to dismiss everything out of hand.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #65
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Well that's your opinion Prime, I still stand by mine, especially when you think that 15% of people actually can't "see" the 3D aspect of it (something to do with the eyes and how they work, can't remember exactly what it is exactly) and that's not even counting people needing glasses...

It's never going to work for the home either unless they can get rid of the need of goggles, it's just not cost-effective and rather silly to be sitting around your house like that.

Again I'm not saying it won't be impressive to watch, I just hope when it's in cinemas they'll think of those 15% and us "four-eyes" and also give us a normal version to see.

And you can't defend the fact that this isn't just pure money-grabbing, if Lucas really wanted to do something for the fans, he would stop making excuses for not making the Live-action series and get someone else to write and direct it...

Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #66
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Well that's your opinion Prime, I still stand by mine, especially when you think that 15% of people actually can't "see" the 3D aspect of it (something to do with the eyes and how they work, can't remember exactly what it is exactly) and that's not even counting people needing glasses...

It's never going to work for the home either unless they can get rid of the need of goggles, it's just not cost-effective and rather silly to be sitting around your house like that.

Again I'm not saying it won't be impressive to watch, I just hope when it's in cinemas they'll think of those 15% and us "four-eyes" and also give us a normal version to see.

And you can't defend the fact that this isn't just pure money-grabbing, if Lucas really wanted to do something for the fans, he would stop making excuses for not making the Live-action series and get someone else to write and direct it...
Of course they'll also show it in 2D. There haven't been any 3d movies within the recent trend in which it hasn't also been available in 2d. Also, I wear glasses, and I don't have a problem seeing movies in 3d with both the 3d glasses and my actual glasses on.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #67
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
^Same here; it's just awkward as hell.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2010, 01:19 AM   #68
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
I don't think there's an adequate image for the massive facepalm that this is. I still maintain that 3d is a gimmick, and it will only ruin our beloved films even more than they already have been.
Oh, yes there is an adequate image:

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #69
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Quote:
Some of it has to do with how far or near the eyes are spaced apart from each other and some of it has to do with how certain peoples brains interpret the patterns their eyes are showing them.

Quote:
Yeah, a lot of people don't realise that in a home theatre situation, sure you buy the 3DTV, but then you only generally get 2 pairs of glasses with it... so if you have a family of 5 you will need to buy another 3 which means 300 bucks more coming out of your pocket... and then even worse if you have a bunch of friends over who all want to watch the movie, what then? lol XD

Old 10-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #70
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Well that's your opinion Prime, I still stand by mine
I'm not at all trying to say that your opinion is wrong or that you should love 3D. I've just been responding in general to some of the expressed sentiment in this thread that the idea of having a 3D Star Wars screening is stupid. That are fans out there like me that would be open to it.

Quote:
especially when you think that 15% of people actually can't "see" the 3D aspect of it (something to do with the eyes and how they work, can't remember exactly what it is exactly) and that's not even counting people needing glasses...
While that is unfortunate for sure, I don't believe that should mean the rest of the market should go without if the demand is there.

Quote:
It's never going to work for the home either unless they can get rid of the need of goggles
That could be coming sooner than your think.

Quote:
[joke]Is that a normal version of the movies that Star Wars fans loath?[/joke]

Quote:
Why is it money grabbing? Lucas/LF isn't forcing anyone to go see it, and there are those of us, if done well, would be happy to pay the price of admission to see it. I want to see the live action too, but I don't think that a decision to release SW in 3D really affects that one way or the other (and it has been stated that it would be written and directed by someone else).

Again, not saying your opinion on 3D is wrong, just pointing out that there are fans that might be keen on the idea.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #71
JediAthos

@Prime: No offense meant my friend, but calling those of us who don't bite on the 3D thing or dislike Lucas' conversion of Star Wars to it "dead inside" might have been a bit much don't ya think? Plenty of things inspire us but obviously 3D or Star Wars in 3D isn't one of them

Old 10-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #72
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Why is it money grabbing? Lucas/LF isn't forcing anyone to go see it, and there are those of us, if done well, would be happy to pay the price of admission to see it. I want to see the live action too, but I don't think that a decision to release SW in 3D really affects that one way or the other (and it has been stated that it would be written and directed by someone else).
This.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #73
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
@Prime: No offense meant my friend, but calling those of us who don't bite on the 3D thing or dislike Lucas' conversion of Star Wars to it "dead inside" might have been a bit much don't ya think?
I did not take that for what Prime was saying. I took what Prime wrote more to mean --Those who are OMG George is ruining Star Wars again by make it 3D are dead inside. If you don't like 3D or don't want to pay to see Star Wars again, that is one thing, but moaning about others that like 3D being able to see their favorite movie in a format they enjoy is another.

Of course I could be totally misinterpreting Prime’s meaning.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #74
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
@Prime: No offense meant my friend, but calling those of us who don't bite on the 3D thing or dislike Lucas' conversion of Star Wars to it "dead inside" might have been a bit much don't ya think? Plenty of things inspire us but obviously 3D or Star Wars in 3D isn't one of them
I probably should have put some smilies after that! I was just teasing that some people weren't just enjoying the fact that SW was coming back to theatres, etc. It wasn't meant as an actual shot. Just in jest.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #75
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Yea, I've never taken anything Prime said as nasty, he's always had that type of Humor.

But even though Star Wars in 3D will probably be a let down, at least its something that isn't Clone Wars that I can actively partake in.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:25 PM   #76
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
But even though Star Wars in 3D will probably be a let down, at least its something that isn't Clone Wars that I can actively partake in.
You say that, until we see George add CG Ahsoka to the OT.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #77
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
View page
YouTube Video

Old 10-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #78
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
That made my brain hurt. You should be banned for that.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #79
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Quote:
"Behind this lens screen is a custom-developed LCD (liquid crystal display) panel. Each screen has 8.29 million pixels -- four times the number of pixels in a conventional "full HD" television -- organized into groups of nine pixels of each color. The nine lenses split light from each bank of pixels and send it to nine points in front of the TV

If the viewer sits in one of these sweet spots they get the 3D illusion.

The nine spots should enable several family members to watch a 3D image at the same time.

Similar technology is used in Nintendo's recently announced 3DS handheld gaming device. The 3DS has a screen from Sharp and sends the image to just one spot -- something that isn't a problem with a handheld."

Still a massive drawback if you ask me, so proper 3D tv for home cinema is still much further off than you might think

Old 10-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #80
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Just in jest.
Impossible, internet is srs bsns.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Lucas: I'm doing Star Wars in 3d OMGROFL!