lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: 2010 LucasArts Layoffs Redux
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
2010 LucasArts Layoffs Redux

Gamasutra - LucasArts Lays Off Up To 50 Employees In Staffing 'Adjustment'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamasutra
San Francisco-based LucasArts today confirmed it has laid off a number of employees as part of what it is calling a "minor adjustment in staffing to help us better address the needs of the business."
"We remain committed to our internal studio – and to fostering relationships with trusted external partners – in order to deliver quality games that amaze and inspire fans," the company told Gamasutra in a statement.
Is it just me or does news of more layoffs at LucasArts dishearten others as well? LucasArts already went through one round of layoffs this year. To me it seems like LucasArts is really struggling to find some vision, some direction and continues to flail about like a fish out of water. I'm sure there are those who will say LucasArts has been like this for some time now but whether you think that or not I have to say 2010 definitely hasn't been one of LucasArts' better years out of the past 10.

P.S. I really have grown to detest the PR speak used in so many press releases today. Phrases like "minor adjustment in staffing" ring hollow.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
After Force Unleashed 2 they should fire the whole lot of them.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
Arannor

Current Game: SWTOR
Sounds to me that LucasArts is tired of the studio producing half-assed games and is changing up to make better ones.

NwŻl tash.
Dzwol sh‚sotkun.
Sh‚sotjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu tyŻk.
TyŻkjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu midwan.
MidwanjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu asha.
AshajontŻ kotswinot itsu nuyak.
Wonoksh Qy‚sik nun.
Arannor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
@ Redeemed Jedi: Firing most of your staff and not bothering to hire new people isn't going to really help them make more quality games... it just means they'll end up making crappier games that take a longer time to make which means we'll get fewer games in the long run...

*looks around* So aside from TOR, what other Star Wars games do we have to look forward to? Anyone know?

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2010, 12:16 AM   #5
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post

*looks around* So aside from TOR, what other Star Wars games do we have to look forward to? Anyone know?
Is the "one Star Wars game per year" rule still in effect?

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
Arannor

But is hiring new people necessary? Those that received layoffs could have possibly been unnecessary staff members.

NwŻl tash.
Dzwol sh‚sotkun.
Sh‚sotjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu tyŻk.
TyŻkjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu midwan.
MidwanjontŻ ch‚tsatul nu asha.
AshajontŻ kotswinot itsu nuyak.
Wonoksh Qy‚sik nun.
Arannor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2010, 12:19 AM   #7
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
I'm taking a wait and see attitude, but I wanting to see more about this Kinect Star Wars game that is suppose to come out in 2011. You know the one I read about on your site.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:58 AM   #8
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
I'm taking a wait and see attitude, but I wanting to see more about this Kinect Star Wars game that is suppose to come out in 2011. You know the one I read about on your site.
lol, did you see the E3 demo of that game? The dude that was "being the controller" was actually behind the video feed, a.k.a. it was probably staged, and even then it looked like ****.

"Women are like sunsetsÖ theyíre beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2010, 02:30 AM   #9
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Because there can't be enough lulz about it:
View page
YouTube Video

Also notice how retarded the game itself is, the stormtroopers shoot like pansies and stroll over to hug the Jedi. What the hell are those blasters for?

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
Is the "one Star Wars game per year" rule still in effect?
IIRC it was two Star Wars games per year back when Jim Ward was running the show at LucasArts but that was two presidents ago. I haven't read anything from Paul Meegan so I've no clue what his goals are where SW games are concerned. Of course it may be rather difficult to produce a steady stream of games when there is seemingly a fairly high rate of turnover at the executive and staff levels of the developer/publisher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed Jedi View Post
But is hiring new people necessary? Those that received layoffs could have possibly been unnecessary staff members.
I don't think there is anyone outside of LucasArts who can accurately answer this question. I would be surprised if those who were just given the pink slip by LucasArts felt their jobs were unnecessary.

Quote:
LEGO Star Wars 3: The Clone Wars?
Other than SWTOR and the Star Wars Kinect game, which I understand is not actually being developed by LucasArts, I know of no other SW games in the development pipeline.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #11
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Also notice how retarded the game itself is, the stormtroopers shoot like pansies and stroll over to hug the Jedi. What the hell are those blasters for?
Not the game, but the demo did look stupid. However, the demo was only to show what they could do wtih Kinect, not the game itself. Hopefully.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Kind of funny given that they said a few years back they wanted to stop getting outside studios to develop titles based on their IP and instead do it all in-house. I guess they have mostly given up that idea now. To be honest, that's probably the best thing that could happen. Surely it couldn't result in anything much worse than the sort of mass market crap LA have churned out themselves in recent years.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #13
Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Notable contributor LFN Staff Member 
I would hardly call 50 employees a minor adjustment for a company like LucasArts that I get the impression is not huge at all anymore. Plus weren't their layoffs in September close to 70-80 people? Either way, pretty confusing and disheartening.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #14
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
A new Jedi Knight and X-Wing? I mean, they have to make those sometime, it's a no-brainer.

Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
I would hardly call 50 employees a minor adjustment for a company like LucasArts that I get the impression is not huge at all anymore. Plus weren't their layoffs in September close to 70-80 people? Either way, pretty confusing and disheartening.
Might just be a sign of the economic times, unfortunately...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #15
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I think it's more likely a sign of LA's incompetence. Surely Star Wars should be one of, if not the, most lucrative game franchises? EA presumably thinks so, given that they have purportedly sunk 100 million into developing TOR. And there are other IPs they own as well, Indy being the most obvious. Seems to me that LA would be highly profitable if they just did things right.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #16
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
QFT

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

in b4 LucasArts bought by ZeniMax Media

Old 11-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #18
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png

Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
callin ea on this one bro

"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #19
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
A new Jedi Knight and X-Wing? I mean, they have to make those sometime, it's a no-brainer.

Right?
I'd kill for that to happen

No really, I would...

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #20
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
You would think LucasArts would have figured out what is in demand by the gamers out there by now.

Hint: Kotor III anyone?

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #21
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Quote:
Heh heh

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #22
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Actually, this is depressingly what happened to Rare back in the day and why they SUCK as a developer now and don't release any games any more. Rare(Ware), USED to be an awesome developer studio that released multiple games at a time that were all top quality titles with great ideas and originality attached to them.

Now all they do is release a game once every few years and work on background stuff like the Xbox Live Avatar's... which is a pretty crappy job for a company that came up with Battletoads, Banjo-Kazooie, Killer Instinct, Donkey Kong Country and a ****tonne of other awesome games.

*depressed* And do you know why they suck now? They fired all of the people who were responsible for making all of those awesome games or pissed them off so much that they quit. This is ultimately the reason why Nintendo sold them to Microsoft... Rare ended up gutting itself and became useless.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #23
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
So that's what happened to them. (BTW where can I see this info?)
Always was a fan of Rare's games. Time Lord, WWF wrestlemania challenge, DK country and DK land, Perfect Dark, James Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric, emphasis mine View Post
I think it's more likely a sign of LA's incompetence. *brevity* Seems to me that LA would be highly profitable if they just did things right.
Too true. Though I could easily say the same for companies like Capcom, and recently Nintendo, err Team Ninja. Guess I'm wrong as new ideas are always on the till, but perhaps the norm of late is that production in general is in a rut everywhere.

"There is no such thing as new ideas, only new ways in which to present them." (Or so says my old video production teacher, which I only half agree with.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
You would think LucasArts would have figured out what is in demand by the gamers out there by now.

Hint: Kotor III anyone?
If we keep chucking stones, will we send the message before we break their windows?

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-18-2010, 12:17 AM   #24
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I don't know about the actual number of people laid off. In the past I've found it pretty much impossible to verify how many LucasArts people got sacked so I've stopped trying. What I'm concerned about is that another round of layoffs, whether 10 people or 50 people, have occurred so soon after the last round, which as you mention was in September. I think if I worked at LucasArts after two rounds of layoffs in 3 months I would be very concerned about my future employment at LEC. If a lot of the remaining employees feel this way then productivity is likely to suffer making prospects of LucasArts righting the ship seem dim. I want to be the optimist and say LucasArts can turn this thing around but I can't help but feel such sentiment falls in the realm of fantasy at the present time.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #25
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Hmm--after all these layoffs, do you think LA is just going to close its studio and outsource?

Let's face it, TFU2 stunk. I refuse to pay $60 for a game that only has 3 hours of gameplay and 4 levels. If this is the kind of product they're going to produce, they're going to fail miserably, and need to outsource.

The other option is to commit to producing top-notch games, but that costs money in terms of commitments to personnel. It looks to me like LA doesn't want to make that financial investment.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #26
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
Hmm--after all these layoffs, do you think LA is just going to close its studio and outsource?

Let's face it, TFU2 stunk. I refuse to pay $60 for a game that only has 3 hours of gameplay and 4 levels. If this is the kind of product they're going to produce, they're going to fail miserably, and need to outsource.

The other option is to commit to producing top-notch games, but that costs money in terms of commitments to personnel. It looks to me like LA doesn't want to make that financial investment.
In other words:
Make tons of money by producing crappy stuff.

How weird that that strategy doesn't work.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #27
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Aren't rapid rounds of layoffs usually one of the mid-term warning signs that a company is circling the drain? The revolving-door policy with presidents isn't a hopeful sign, either. LA supposedly employs more than 350 people (wiki), which is smaller than BioWare (~500), or Crytek (~550). This makes the layoffs, if around 50 is in the ballpark, fairly significant. OTOH, following Jim Ward's audit, the company went down to being around 190 people. So...

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #28
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
As horrible as this may be, there is a silver lining, however thin: if LA ends up shutting down, we might never have to acknowledge TOR's existence.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #29
truJedi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
As horrible as this may be, there is a silver lining, however thin: if LA ends up shutting down, we might never have to acknowledge TOR's existence.
YYYYYYAAAAAYYYYYY !!!!!!!!!!!!!
im counting down the days lol

... I am Jacks Smirking Revenge
truJedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #30
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Isn't TOR a BioWare-EA project with LucasArts' licensing? I don't think it'd be affected if LucasArts shut down (which I really think they won't).

Old 11-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #31
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

What's with all the TOR hate?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #32
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
LA shutting down (which seems unlikely) would have no effect on TOR. LA's original role with TOR was primarily publisher in certain territories (although they did help out with some of the voice over production apparently). Publishing responsibility has now been fully assumed by EA. Star Wars licensing is handled by Lucas Licensing, a division of Lucasfilm. It has never had anything to do with LA.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:47 AM   #33
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Quote:
Doc, I'm disappointed! For once I don't like your taste!

(Read: TOR looks awesome. )

Anyway...yeah, after the crap that was TFU II, I really don't give a damn about Lucasarts. Give Bioware the Star Wars license so they can make more RPGs and try their hand at shooters with Battlefront III. And declare TFU II non-canon so they can revamp the story and the series. "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II: The Good Edition: By the Dude Who Wrote Mass Effect"

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-20-2010, 03:31 AM   #34
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorenna View Post
"Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II: The Good Edition: By the Dude Who Wrote Mass Effect"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorenna View Post
"The Good Edition: By the Dude Who Wrote Mass Effect"

Old 11-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #35
Nedak
Beelzebozo

LucasCast Jingle Composer Forum Veteran Hot Topic Starter 
Quote:
QFE, this would make me very happy.
Nedak is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #36
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Again... what's with all the TOR hate? (I'm starting to wonder if anyone will actually answer my question...)

Old 11-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #37
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Again... what's with all the TOR hate? (I'm starting to wonder if anyone will actually answer my question...)
Long story short:

1. People wanted a single-player KotOR III (which was apparently planned and then cancelled) to complete the story arc
2. BioWare announced that TOR will be KotOR 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
3. It's an MMO.
4. It has conversations just as derpy as the first Mass Effect.
5. It has an absolute disregard for all that happened in the KotOR games and is set in a retarded alternate version of the Star Wars OT, complete with Han Solo lookalikes, faux-Vaders, faux-Stormtroopers and so on.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #38
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Quote:
1. People wanted a single-player KotOR III (which was apparently planned and then cancelled) to complete the story arc
Yeah, I wanted KotOR III too.

Quote:
3. It's an MMO.
Not a huge fan of MMO's either.

Quote:
We'll actually see when we play the game, unless everyone here can see into the future.

Quote:
5. It has an absolute disregard for all that happened in the KotOR games and is set in a retarded alternate version of the Star Wars OT, complete with Han Solo lookalikes, faux-Vaders, faux-Stormtroopers and so on.
I thought this is what practically every Star Wars game does.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #39
TriggerGod

Helpful! 
Quote:
3. It's an MMO.
Honestly, those are the only reasons I dislike the news about TOR. I can live with designs imitating that of the movies, and if it couldn't have been a single player sequel a la KOTOR 3, I'd have liked it to be a game similar to Assassins Creed: Brotherhood (which I am patiently awaiting for PC release) or like Portal 2 (Likewise) that has a single player game, but also has a separate, multiplayer "attachment" that you don't have to touch if you don't want to. But from the news I've read, you could play TOR almost entirely on your own, but you'd need friends and/or other people for certain parts, at least once for the main quest.

But saying it'll be the equivalent of at least 7 sequels just sets them up for disappointment, considering the fanbase the first 2 achieved.

I have this personal dislike of MMOs, I'm not sure where it roots, but its there, and it gnaws at me when I see a spinoff game that is an MMO, that makes me want to buy it because its of that same franchise, but at the same time not want to because its an MMO.

And yeah, "He shot him," from that dialog or voice acting (whatever it was) trailer a while back made me think A+ "20 novels worth of dialog with professional voice quality". And in case you didn't realize that was sarcasm, I'm gonna go and strike out that A+ and replace with a C-, at best.

And yes, I am a prophet, go ahead and scrutinize me. I'm a gypsy traveling Eurasia and I read your palms and I steal your babies then brainwash them into being our slaves give you friendly advice on how to raise your children.

Last edited by TriggerGod; 11-21-2010 at 12:43 AM. Reason: specifications
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #40
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I'm sure not everything about it will be amazing, every game has its flaws... I'm just finding it hard to see why there seems to be an air of absolute hate over it. It's not like if TOR dies, KotOR III will come back into service.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > 2010 LucasArts Layoffs Redux