lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mass Effect 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #761
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzella View Post
And?

I would think assuming a game will be [EDIT]good[/EDIT] is something of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
And this.

I have no way of knowing how the game is going to turn out. I haven't played it yet.

I'm hopeful that it will be good because I like the lead writer, but there are several indications that I should temper that optimism.

1) This is the first game in the franchise to be fully developed under EA, a developer/publisher with a reputation of taking things and making them more fecal.

2) The game was pushed back so that they could go back and dumb it down for people that haven't played ME or ME2.

3) The game is now being released with multi-player, which cannot be argued to be anything other than ploy to increase sales (which means it isn't being done to improve the story, strengthen the narrative, whatever).

4) Despite the gushing of millions of fanboys and fangirls everywhere, ME isn't that fantastic of a franchise to begin with. ME2 is a fun game but that's all it it is: a fun game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzella View Post
Fair enough I suppose. People who found ME2 wanting are in the extreme minority i find
So what?

Uwe Boll and Michael Bay still get their project green lit and take in millions at the box office even though they both make crap. Popularity is not an indicator of quality.

Millions of Justin Beiber fans can't be wrong, right?
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2011, 02:54 AM   #762
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Empirical evidence 1 - Hopeless optimism 0
Only a lot of people who claim to go by empirical evidence are just downers who want to justify their stance.

The point is, I like to actually wait for the game to come out and actually play it to decide whether it was good or not. Even with a game like Other M that turned out to be horrendously bad.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2011, 03:20 AM   #763
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I'm not even sure how to respond to that. In the broader sense, if something is justified with empirical evidence, surely believing anything else is just plain ignorance? Perhaps in the specific example of games you can give people a pass given the subjective nature of the medium.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #764
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Millions of Obsidian fans can't be wrong, right?
Fixed. (I jest... sorta)

Though I'd tend to agree. I haven't played it myself either, So until that day, I can only go by my past experiences with the franchise (or any other given franchise).

---
My personal example, and let's stress "personal", would be my beef with Obsidian ("fix" above). My track record with them has been atrocious.

They managed to stink up NWN2. Perhaps to this day one of my most favorite of franchises (NWN). I had originally thought that to be impossible. Obsidian proved me wrong.

I can only enjoy New Vegas in 15 minute intervals due to its still-not-fixed buggy nature (both pc and console), and lack of Fallout(ish)-post-apocalyptic feel.

TSL.... ugh

and Alpha Protocol, well.. it was bad enough to be denied a sequel.

---

However, all of the above examples hits on the very thing that DP mentioned earlier.. it's all subjective.

I can easily see both sides to each argument. But me personally, I tend to lean towards past experiences with a game/developer to form a "base" opinion of (or expectation of rather?) it's sequel. Guess I'm hopeful that ME3 falls in to that "fun game" category.

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |

Last edited by ChAiNz.2da; 10-30-2011 at 08:57 AM.
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #765
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
I'm not even sure how to respond to that. In the broader sense, if something is justified with empirical evidence, surely believing anything else is just plain ignorance? Perhaps in the specific example of games you can give people a pass given the subjective nature of the medium.
Okay I'll put it this way... just like the cat, we won't know if it's dead or alive until we open the box. So if you never play the game, you won't really know if it's good or not.

Right now we don't even have Mass Effect 3 in our hands to say whether it's better or worse than previous ME games. I don't know how ME3 will turn out even with all of the rumours and speculation and yes, even with the facts and experiences with previous games. I still don't know how it will turn out... but I will know once I play it.

At that stage I'll have all the empirical evidence I want to compare it with the other ME games and see how it all weighs up against each other.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #766
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
Thread derail
Where'd that come from???
Old 10-31-2011, 03:05 AM   #767
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Where'd that come from???
Posts #753 and up?
You know the whole look for good/bad, empirical evidence and game overhype vs expectation debate. Though looking back, I did forget to add this to my quote. (Which I agree with)
Quote:
Popularity is not an indicator of quality.Millions of Obsidian fans can't be wrong, right?
Probably would've made much more sense (doh) as to the (my) following Obsidian rant. In any case, leave that out and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
I haven't played it myself either, So until that day, I can only go by my past experiences with the franchise (or any other given franchise).

<Obsidian rant>

.. it's all subjective.

I can easily see both sides to each argument. But me personally, I tend to lean towards past experiences with a game/developer to form a "base" opinion of (or expectation of rather?) it's sequel. Guess I'm hopeful that ME3 falls in to that "fun game" category.
Better?

Old 10-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #768
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Why is this suddenly a Bioware vs. Obsidian discussion?

Last edited by Achilles; 10-31-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #769
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Don't look at me, I wasn't discussing anything.

Also don’t know why I keep posting Mutiplayer Details, when I care nothing about it. Most of this already has been covered.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2011, 03:50 PM   #770
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
While I will contribute to the discussion by saying I only like one Obsidian game, which is obviously TSL, and I love each and every BioWare game, I do agree with Achilles. This thread isn't BioWare VS. Obsidian. It's Mass Effect 3

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #771
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Why is this suddenly a Bioware vs. Obsidian discussion?
EVERY DISCUSSION IS SUDDENLY A BIOWARE VS OBSIDIAN DISCUSSION.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #772
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Wow. The whole Obsidian example just went over a lot of heads it seems.

Anywho ...moving on with less drama news. Bioware released a new episode of Pulse that highlights some of the new enemies we'll be facing in ME3.
http://livestre.am/NWCw

Article about it:
http://beefjack.com/news/mass-effect...nemies-combat/

YouTube Highlight:

View page
YouTube Video

Looks as if several races can get "reaper-ized" now and use their tactics against the player party or help out their own gang. Seems combat will add some more strategy options rather than a run-duck-n-gun playthrough.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #773
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
If you shoot the head off a husk they will still come after you… How will it know where Shepard is?

My guess is the secret to defeating the Cerberus Faction is to leave them alone until one of their crazy experiments kills them all.

spoiler:
According to video: Its possible that geth can be allied with Cerberus specifically or the Reaper.” I really hoping by possible they mean if you handed Legion over to Cerberus then they are Cerberus allies, if you didn’t hand Legion over, but didn’t complete its loyalty quest then the Geth are with the reapers…but the third option better be if you completed Legion side quest then they better be on Shepards side or fighting the quarians depending on other choices… Going to be upset if I did all that crap for Legion and that artificial bastard stabs Shepard in the back.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #774
Mr Roboto
Rookie

I like how cerberus has hired HL2 combine (according to the video).
Mr Roboto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #775
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mim
spoiler
spoiler:
Well, given the schism w/in Geth "civilization" and the fact that they aren't completely obliterated in ME2 no matter what you do, it's possible that any remaining geth from Legion's "final solution" could still end up working for the reapers.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #776
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Roboto View Post
I like how cerberus has hired HL2 combine (according to the video).
haha yeah i saw that... someone's jumping the gun a bit in their search for concept art.
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #777
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

With the some of the news surrounding EA’s Origin, this could be good news to many fans of the Mass Effect franchise. Mass Effect 3 has one time only online verification.

I was thankful for the 360 earlier this week while reading all the stuff about Origin both on the net and in skype. Now I just hope Lynk is correct about the other anticipated BioWare release also not requiring Origin. The one I can't play on the 360.

Edit - Seems Lynk was also correct about that other BioWare game. TOR does not require Origin either (so we are clear).

Last edited by mimartin; 11-09-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:12 AM   #778
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
With the some of the news surrounding EA’s Origin, this could be good news to many fans of the Mass Effect franchise. Mass Effect 3 has one time only online verification.
That's good to know. Btw, I think your link is dead. I couldn't get anything when I clicked on it.

Thanks fixed in my post and your quote. one too many "http"s

this line kind of made my eyes role and got a laugh:"The whole game will, he also confirmed, come on a single disk, which is good news for the few of you who seem to have an unhinged hatred for disc-swapping." I've always hated swapping discs or needing 5-6 discs for install.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

Last edited by Totenkopf; 11-09-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:52 AM   #779
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Cull the extraneous lucasforums.com in front of it.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #780
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
I've always hated swapping discs or needing 5-6 discs for install.
neither really bothered me. Would much rather deal with a disk than as the case must be here is deal with downloading a bunch of extra crap (co-op anyone).

Old 11-10-2011, 04:22 AM   #781
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
neither really bothered me. Would much rather deal with a disk than as the case must be here is deal with downloading a bunch of extra crap (co-op anyone).
I'd concur on that last part. I don't care for DLC (not so much the content itself, but that it comes in dribs&drabs/piecemeal). Kind of what I didn't like about HL2 and it's follow-ons via STEAM. Liked the game overall, but if you didn't have a fast web connection, it took a really long time to download the games. Still, I found the "unhinged hatred" jibe to be kind of funny.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #782
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Kind of surprised I didn't see this here, but heard that (portions of?) the BETA version of ME3 was accidentally(?)* released via X-Box Live earlier this week. This is a link to a YT page to check at your own peril.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjvCeKcVMR4

*depends on how conspiratorially minded you are (ie accident or further attempts to tease fans for buildup.... not for me to say)

Last edited by Totenkopf; 11-12-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #783
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Yeah, there was a huge mess about it involving neogaf, Microsoft sent a cease and desist order and they had to delete the 50+ page thread where they basically revealed the entire plot of the game from that beta that some Russian dudes ripped from the game files.

BioWare says that what's in the Beta isn't the final story, but yeah... I read all of the spoilers of the game plot, not gonna say anything though.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #784
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Glad I messed that then.

I'm only finishing up my first playthough of ME2 (on "the long walk" part of the suicide mission). One thing I hope they do better in ME3 are the dialog choices for the romances. For some reason all the dialog choices in those cases makes Shepard seem like a complete douche.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #785
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Diablo III RoS (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I read all of the spoilers of the game plot, not gonna say anything though.
Without going into spoilers, you could say for example, did the supposedly "work-in-progress version" of the story sound any good to you?

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #786
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman View Post
Without going into spoilers, you could say for example, did the supposedly "work-in-progress version" of the story sound any good to you?
I second that. I'd like to know if they did think of a good story to top mass effect off.

I was a good lil' lad and didn't go searching for spoilers. after nearly 5 (i think?) years of playing Mass Effect, i'm not having it spoiled for me now.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #787
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Glad I messed that then.

I'm only finishing up my first playthough of ME2 (on "the long walk" part of the suicide mission). One thing I hope they do better in ME3 are the dialog choices for the romances. For some reason all the dialog choices in those cases makes Shepard seem like a complete douche.

Well, by the time I'd found out about it (almost a week later), much of the stuff was retracted (or, like lynk, I'd know a lot more too) and what little I've seen on YT mostly expands on some of the released material (the opening stuff during the invasion of Earth and the rescue mission of the Krogan female) from the developers. Also, some demostrations of the multi-player mode. Besides, it might have been interesting to see how and where the BETA would ultimately differ from the finished product.

As to the romances, how would you have done it differently? (ie are they too cliched or something else from your POV?)

Old 11-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #788
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The stuff on YouTube would be the actual playable content. That's not the issue, as it's just the same stuff they have showed since E3. The problem was that the build included the entire game's TLK file, so the dialogue from every conversation in the game was able to be extracted.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:13 AM   #789
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Quote:
The stuff on YouTube would be the actual playable content. That's not the issue, as it's just the same stuff they have showed since E3. The problem was that the build included the entire game's TLK file, so the dialogue from every conversation in the game was able to be extracted.
I gathered as much from lynk's post about the 50+ pages of synopsis and the mention of multiple files, all of wich I didn't see (frankly hear about) till it was largely corrected/pulled. Just saying that what was available on YT was basically slightly expanded gameplay of what had been released by Bioware officially (or at least what I'd seen of it to date). Yet, even if I had seen all of the stuff.......I'd still be getting it anyway.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:57 AM   #790
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Okay... I'll say this, from what I read... there's gonna be a few people who are gonna rage for various reasons. The version I read had stuff in it that... even to me seemed a little stupid.

But, we'll find out for sure how much they changed when the final game comes out. Also, I also realise that just reading the raw conversations isn't really giving any proper context, so even if very little is changed, it may not seem stupid when we play it as a full game. I mean, if you break down the first 2 ME games I'm sure the script would sound just as stupid...

Old 11-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #791
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
As to the romances, how would you have done it differently? (ie are they too cliched or something else from your POV?)
I think it is more just the line delivery. In my head my Shepard is this altruistic guy, but it seems that most of the lines are either loaded with innuendo or are outright pushy and delivered in a sleezy way. I don't really have a specific example in mind. I guess I just have the sense that if I pulled some of that stuff in my workplace I'd be fired.

That is largely based on the Miranda and Kelly romance though. Not sure about Jack, and the Tali one seemed a bit better to the extent that it went in my game.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #792
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

I was more impressed with the Jack romance than any of the others, although the Tali is my canon romance for a male Shepard. My female Shepard did them all, but staying true to Liara is canon. All the male romances are better than any of the female romances.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #793
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I think it is more just the line delivery. In my head my Shepard is this altruistic guy, but it seems that most of the lines are either loaded with innuendo or are outright pushy and delivered in a sleezy way. I don't really have a specific example in mind. I guess I just have the sense that if I pulled some of that stuff in my workplace I'd be fired.

That is largely based on the Miranda and Kelly romance though. Not sure about Jack, and the Tali one seemed a bit better to the extent that it went in my game.
As with everything in life, depends on the girl. But seriously, I take your meaning. I'd essentially agree w/mim that the route you go with Jack (outside of the quickie option in the engine room basement) and Tali seem less primal/base than what you arguably get with Miranda. Of course the femshep scene with Garrus was awkwardly funny as hell, so to speak.

Last edited by Totenkopf; 11-14-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #794
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

I found this interesting just get to the 1:50 to skip the Dragon Age Legends snooze fest.

View page
YouTube Video

Old 11-23-2011, 05:06 AM   #795
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
Collector's Edition Unboxing

View page
YouTube Video

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #796
Darth Payne
I Am Revan, I Remember.

Current Game: DS3, Alien: Colonial Marines
Heh, good news for me since i pre-ordred one months ago.

http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/newblack/pederskomsvold.jpg
Formerly known as: Danyael27
My mods at KotorFiles: K1 Robe Stat Boost, TSL Jedi Robe Stat Boost, Jedi Fight Training.
Quando omni flunkus moritati - the motto of the Possum Lodge, Pseudo-Latin for 'when all else fails, play dead.'

SW: Invasion 05,P16 -(Spraug: Seriously? A Wookie with a lightsaber? Thats just overkill.
Darth Payne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #797
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Oh look, it's leXX.

Anyway, nice... I randomly just bought the CE of ME2 when it came out so I'll probably end up getting the CE of ME3 as well...

Old 11-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #798
leXX
Forum Mum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Payne View Post
Heh, good news for me since i pre-ordred one months ago.
Yeah me too. I have the CE of 1 & 2, so I'm not about to change now. Plus, it looks bad ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Oh look, it's leXX.
Oh hai! ^^

make life bearable.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #799
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Another clip on ME3: (links cover same material, from 2 different sources...in case one doesn't work I include both.....Also, first 100 seconds or so covered in leXX's vid link above in case you want to skip to combat discussion)

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/mass-effect-3/1213899p1.html

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...-detailed.aspx

Also, reference to cut ME2 material restored for ME3 in following article:http://www.gamesradar.com/mass-effec...-me2-plotline/

Old 12-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #800
leXX
Forum Mum

Pretty cool vid, I'm loving that new Vanguard Nova, and did you notice the little roll move at the end?

make life bearable.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Mass Effect 3