lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mass Effect 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #881
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Humor...needling ChAiNz about Tali.
Yeah, I'd considered the possibility that he was yanking ChAiNz's chain... so cruel, so cruel... A little metaphorical salt for the Tali fanboy's wounds..

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #882
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
I lalways lol at that pic.

Also, I want my Tali ;_;

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #883
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP
Ugh, Reggie. If I ever needed additional tools to scare small children (beyond just my mere presence in the same room), that would be the picture I would use.
So, who is this Reggie anyway?

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

Old 02-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #884
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Fils-Aime

On a different note, someone over at the official forums spotted something that is sure to cause a delicious outburst of collective anguish in the near future:

Cue FemShep fanboy/girl nerd rage in 3, 2, 1..... Although at least they were smart enough to wait until well after ME3's launch before unleashing it. ChAiNz, I guess you have something to look forward to when Tali inevitably gets the same treatment.

For those unfamiliar with Japanese bishoujo statues, and ME ones in particular, feast your eyes on this and the slight backflip after the resulting controversy.

Last edited by DarthParametric; 02-13-2012 at 10:26 AM.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #885
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Also, I want my Tali ;_;
You're a good man sir.. and have extraordinary taste in gameworld women

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
ChAiNz, I guess you have something to look forward to when Tali inevitably gets the same treatment.
I was totally banking on a "Japanese love pillow" joke here

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #886
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
No doubt one exists somewhere. Maybe the love doll guy had one before he decided to get serious.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #887
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I have nothing...

Back to ME3, the demo is out tomorrow, valentine's day and here are some details. It does include both the single player and the co-op modes, so you can play with that special someone on Valentine's Day instead of going out to dinner. Of course don't expect them to still be that special someone come Wednesday.

There is already a video on youtube, but it is pretty spoilerific, so find it yourself if you want to know. Haven't decided if I'm going to take a break from TOR to play the demo or not.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #888
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Ooo, I've never played a demo before. Maybe this is what I need to get me started on those ME/ME2 runs I've been planning on doing before 3 comes out.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #889
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Interview with Mac Walters - http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mis...or-the-masses/

I thought the analogy to the Star Trek reboot was somewhat humorous, what with him painting the going after mass market yet throwing old fans the odd bone or two in a positive light. My take on the movie is that the hardcore Trek fans weren't exactly thrilled with the outcome. My hope would be that ME3 doesn't tread too much in those same footsteps, but I wouldn't be surprised given the constant harping on about what a great entry point in the series this is for new players.

Edit: Someone posted a teaser of the "Take Back Earth" pre-rendered launch trailer that will be debuting in its entirety in due course:

View page
YouTube Video

Last edited by DarthParametric; 02-14-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #890
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Thumbs down

Um this demo is appalling...don't know about everyone else. And multiplayer feels like spec ops on call of duty..

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #891
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
Downloading the PC Demo ME3 now

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #892
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
Um this demo is appalling...don't know about everyone else. And multiplayer feels like spec ops on call of duty..
Specifics re: SP demo? Xbox? PC? etc...?

Old 02-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #893
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
I'm about to play the 360 demo. Impressions later on.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #894
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Um this demo is appalling...
Don't worry, it's just a demo. It's not representative of the final game quality. Remember when all those people that complained about the DA2 demo? Well they totally had egg on their face when the retail game came out and it was nothing like the demo and completely awesome. Oh, wait....
Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #895
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Don't worry, it's just a demo. It's not representative of the final game quality. Remember when all those people that complained about the DA2 demo? Well they totally had egg on their face when the retail game came out and it was nothing like the demo and completely awesome. Oh, wait....
Hey I liked DA2...

I liked the ME3 demo too. Just finished it on roleplay and thought it was pretty good. Love the opening, didn't like the default female Shepard.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #896
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I'm getting too good at this... recreated my characters face without any pics to use as reference for my characters look in ME1 and 2 and... well... I seemed to have hit the mark lol

I don't know why, probably some camera trickery but the skin tone is actually much darker than what is shown *shrugs*

Had to take a pic of the TV screen since I'm playing the 360 version of the demo... let you know what I think in a bit...

Old 02-15-2012, 03:23 AM   #897
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
I don't know why, probably some camera trickery but the skin tone is actually much darker than what is shown *shrugs*
Attack of the racist camera!

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2012, 03:44 AM   #898
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Damn azn's and their camera technology keeping us darkies down... or maybe it was just the exposure settings, white balance and all that other jazz I didn't bother to play with before taking it XD

So I played the demo over and over... on all three different settings... normal "rpg mode", story mode and action mode.

With RPG mode I noticed that there doesn't seem to be any neutral options any more, only 2 options were available with every dialogue choice. Didn't get any chances to pick anything that was specifically listed as Paragon or /Renegade but did get points accordingly for either of the two choices you picked during dialogue. Also, didn't come across a single hacking mini-game at all...

With Story Mode... it's basically just the regular game but you don't do any of the micromanaging with skill points and the enemies are really weak... you still play the game but it's just easy mode really.

Action mode is.... well... I'm going through it right now and it's still doing everything normally but with no dialogue choices... I assume it has none of the "rpg elements" in the game either like story mode but at that stage I couldn't be bothered going though it again lol

Also, the kid at the start doesn't know how to hold his toy spaceships... you're meant to hold them on the underside of the fuselage... stupid kid.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:42 AM   #899
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
I noticed that there doesn't seem to be any neutral options any more, only 2 options were available with every dialogue choice.
This is one of the things that has kicked up a stink, with the devs trying to reassure everyone that is just for the demo and the full game has plenty of dialogue with more choices. Guess we'll see in a few weeks.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, just spotted this over at The Escapist. I'm not usually a fan of Critical Miss, finding it's title far too apt a description usually, but this one is ME3 related and stars Tali, so ChAiNz and our other resident Talimancers should appreciate it at least. Plus its dig at Chobot elicited a chuckle from me - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...09-Mass-Effect

Last edited by DarthParametric; 02-15-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #900
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

On the note of Jessica Chobot... when I heard she was in ME3 it seemed a little odd... very odd. But on the other hand, I'm kind of interested in the fact that Freddie Prinze, Jr is voicing James Vega.

He's not much of an actor and he hasn't been in much lately, but I still find it interesting because if he ends up being the least bit good in ME4 with the role he has, he could potentially get a good voice acting thing going and be in future video games. Who knows, maybe this'll be good for him.

Also...

What the hell am I looking at?

(Rhetorical question )

Old 02-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #901
Thanatos9t

Helpful! 
Quote:
This is one of the things that has kicked up a stink, with the devs trying to reassure everyone that is just for the demo and the full game has plenty of dialogue with more choices. Guess we'll see in a few weeks.
Hopefully its not like the Dragon Age 2 demo and Biowares Dev's saying the game wasn't finished and then ended up releasing it with no changes.

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
Thanatos9t is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #902
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
I'd hit it. Hell, Miranda looked like she had facial hair in some convos in ME2 and I still went there - twice.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #903
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
On an unrelated note, just spotted this over at The Escapist. I'm not usually a fan of Critical Miss, finding it's title far too apt a description usually, but this one is ME3 related and stars Tali, so ChAiNz and our other resident Talimancers should appreciate it at least. Plus its dig at Chobot elicited a chuckle from me
I lost it at "..afraid Shepard might go all 'disingenuous assertions! Blargh!' and punch her teeth out. "

Not sure what the hell BioWare was thinking adding Chobot in the game. I don't even know anyone who likes her normal "gig", much less want her stinking up the game from inside it...

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |

Last edited by ChAiNz.2da; 02-15-2012 at 09:18 AM.
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #904
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
It's all part of their marketing to the masses strategy. Maybe we'll be surprised by some heretofore unseen acting chops, but I gather digital Chobot is no different to the real one - a simple bit of T&A being used to push a product.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #905
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

My earlier post was rather unexplained but it was posted from my phone and I was merely giving my hands on opinion.

I played the demo on the Xbox 360. The whole Role Play/Action/Story choice bothers me. This is where the whole 'Shooter V RPG' thing becomes more apparent because this choice is like asking 'Do you want to play Mass Effect 3, like you paid for, or would you rather play Call of Duty?' . I think this is ridiculous, even for BioWare/EA.

I went with Roleplay because I read it as 'Go story for faceroll gameplay, or go action for careless cutscenes'. I was shocked at what little dialogue there was to choose though, but I'm hoping that's 'cause I didn't pick story.

I'm also kinda worried that Paragon players are going to have a difficult time in this game, in terms of actually helping anything at all. If you are paragon
spoiler:
then you can't save the kid, nor can you persuade Anderson to join you.
I'm not sure if you can do the latter one if you are Renegade but the first example still stands.

And there is a TINY MINOR INSIGNIFICANT LITTLE THING I must say. There sure as hell better be a way to have your weapon holstered when out of combat. Especially in civilised areas. It will annoy me to no end if there isn't.

Gameplay was...well...too shootery. I know, I know, the whole trilogy's gameplay was a 3rd Person Shooter, but I don't know, certain things seem too shootery. Minor details only a total nerd could take notice of.
Such as gun SFX. To me, they just sound like normal bullets now. That, combined with the 'commentator' voice on Multiplayer that says things like 'Squad member down', make me feel like I'm playing Black Ops or something.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #906
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Also...

(Rhetorical question )
Yeah, I'll stick with Tali.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #907
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
I played the demo on the Xbox 360. The whole Role Play/Action/Story choice bothers me. This is where the whole 'Shooter V RPG' thing becomes more apparent because this choice is like asking 'Do you want to play Mass Effect 3, like you paid for, or would you rather play Call of Duty?' . I think this is ridiculous, even for BioWare/EA.
Yeah, because choice is a bad thing. Do it the way I want or don't do it at all.

Also if you think DA2 demo and DA2 are one in the same, then you really didn't get the entire Varric telling a story part of DA2. Yes the demo was in the game, but no that wasn't just like the rest of the game.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #908
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
I was shocked at what little dialogue there was to choose though, but I'm hoping that's 'cause I didn't pick story.
No, the only difference between RPG and Story mode is that Story takes out all the "extraneous" gameplay mechanics (much as Shooter takes out all the story/RPG stuff). There is no difference in dialogue between the two. As Lynk stated above, Story is basically easy mode.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you can do the latter one if you are Renegade but the first example still stands.
If you were expecting actual choices and consequences rather than just the illusion of choice, you might want to hold off on buying the full game....

Quote:
There sure as hell better be a way to have your weapon holstered when out of combat. Especially in civilised areas. It will annoy me to no end if there isn't.
You're out of luck. They removed it because of the memory constraints of the consoles:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenon Holmes
It's a runtime memory cost, not a disk space issue. You need those anims for the non-combat areas... so they're going to be on disk regardless.

In order to support exploration in the combat areas, you'd need to have all the anims loaded in memory... so that would be things like the 8-way walks, runs, incline anims, idles, idle twitches, male/female variant overrides, eye noise... etc.

All in all (iirc) it came out to around 2-4MB, which is relatively significant. Also, as you've guessed, yes - I'm referring to the main game (as well as the demo).
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/to...x/9234315&lf=8

Quote:
Gameplay was...well...too shootery. [...] make me feel like I'm playing Black Ops or something.
I believe Gears of Wars was probably what they were going after, but no doubt COD was a very large influence as well. It shouldn't be surprising at this point. They made their aspirations fairly plain in ME2. This is just the logical progression.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #909
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonium View Post
Yeah, I'll stick with Tali.
Exactly.

I only found out in the last few months that you could call Tali (or another love interest, but for me it was Tali) up to your quarters to have a little snuggle session and have her hang out on your couch... blew my mind...

Old 02-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #910
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Quote:
Yeah, because choice is a bad thing. Do it the way I want or don't do it at all.
It's not like that, but it seems like a 'bad' sort of choice, if that is possible. Ignore what I said, because it doesn't seem to make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric
You're out of luck. They removed it because of the memory constraints of the consoles
Ugh. At least the hub areas don't require that you constantly have guns out.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #911
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
It's not like that, but it seems like a 'bad' sort of choice, if that is possible. Ignore what I said, because it doesn't seem to make sense.
I get what you mean, like me you want a more traditional RPG. While I agree, I have friends that are also playing and love Mass Effect and they want less RPG. BioWare may be making a mistake going the route of trying to make everyone happy instead of sticking with one or the other, but I don't fault them for trying.

As to your spoilers
Show spoiler
Old 02-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #912
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Ugh. At least the hub areas don't require that you constantly have guns out.
My interpretation would be this is all the fault of the FemShep players. They bitched and moaned about the use of the male animations in ME2. While they got what they wanted - separate female animations - for ME3, it would seem the price everyone had to pay is the inability to holster weapons in combat zones. The master race need not have paid the price as well, what with a few extra meg of memory in their case being laughable, but of course expecting a superior version is too much to ask for. Not that this minor issue particularly bothers me personally. Not in the face of things like mandating the install of the Origin malware.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #913
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
My interpretation would be this is all the fault of the FemShep players.
I'm a femshep player and I never bitched and moaned about the animations. I bitched and moaned that Tali wouldn't give my femshep the time of day.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #914
Thanatos9t

Helpful! 
Quote:
Also if you think DA2 demo and DA2 are one in the same, then you really didn't get the entire Varric telling a story part of DA2. Yes the demo was in the game, but no that wasn't just like the rest of the game.
I'm talking about the bugs and gameplay tweaks which the developer said they were going to fix before the game shipped when in fact it had pretty much already gone 'Gold' (ready to publish) before they had addressed the issues raised.

Also the demo was not just the exaggerated version of DA2, but included the real version of events after Cassandra called Varric's exaggerated bull and also a small part of Kirkwall via a time jump, involving Isabella.

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."

Last edited by Thanatos9t; 02-15-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Thanatos9t is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #915
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ mim: Perhaps she will in ME3

Old 02-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #916
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Quote:
IT SHALL BE GLORIOUS.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #917
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos9t View Post
Also the demo was not just the exaggerated version of DA2, but included the real version of events after Cassandra called Varric's exaggerated bull and also a small part of Kirkwall via a time jump, involving Isabella.
True, but the demo was not a fair representation of the entire game. I hated the demo. I even hated DA2 the game for the about 1/3 of the entire game. I gave up and planned on never looking back at DA2, but stoffe got me to try it again and I loved the last 2/3 of the game (well until the ending where the end boss made me wish for baby terminator again).

Quote:
One can only hope.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #918
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

After trying each of the narrative styles, I'm gonna have to upgrade my machine before playing the actual game. The story version didn't seem to cause any noticeable lags in gameplay, but the settings for the other two were showing drag (both in the cutscenes and the play itself). Figure I'll need at least a new vid card.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #919
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Well, I don't care if they about the about the Action bit - which IMO takes away a lot of the fun (never thought ME works solely as a TPS) - but I'll probably give it a try down the road. As long as the Role Play aspect is not affected, which I have my doubts, I really could care less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
After trying each of the narrative styles, I'm gonna have to upgrade my machine before playing the actual game. The story version didn't seem to cause any noticeable lags in gameplay, but the settings for the other two were showing drag (both in the cutscenes and the play itself). Figure I'll need at least a new vid card.
That's weird, considering nothing relevant is added on these other modes. Quite the contrary, actually.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #920
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
That's weird, considering nothing relevant is added on these other modes. Quite the contrary, actually.
Well, the story narrative is on the easiest settings, apparently. I guess the current specs on my PC are sufficient to allow it to play, but with some degradation. Funny thing is, the cutscenes for the story version seemed to flow best, but for the action setting it was a little choppy in places and a bit better for the RP option. May try both those versions again later, but setting the gameplay to same as story version to see if any difference whatsoever. My vid card is kinda old anyway and needs to be upgraded/replaced.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Mass Effect 3