lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mass Effect 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #1121
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
I don't think there is an actual best ending but what i see of the endings...they conflict with the design and mechanics of the ME games.

I can't go into it fully why since it would be major spoilers.

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #1122
Salzella
areiK

Current Game: Portal, Half-Life 2.
What is the objection to multiplayer, seriously? This purist attitude is fairly sad given that it's single player combat with bells on and it is A PIECE OF PISS to get a good game. buck your ideas up ffs.
Salzella is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #1123
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran Helpful! 
MP is fine for those who want to play it. Some people, such as myself, object to being forced to play it as part of the plot of a SP game, as would possibly appear to be the case here. The same applies to the iOS games. Why should people have to buy those as well to advance the game they already paid for?

Now as it happens, it may be in this instance that MP is not required to get the best endings. Regardless, the fact that MP has any sort of affect on SP at all is stupid. If they absolutely had to give bonuses to MP people, they should have just given them additional war assets. That would have been a far more equitable system (and indeed what I had originally thought the system was, based on early reports).
DarthParametric is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 01:29 AM   #1124
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
I don't know what the hell sort of ending I got. It was weird.
This

EDIT: And the entirety of DP's post above.

Off-topic: For those that have finished the game
spoiler:
does the ending remind you of Deus Ex: Human Revolution (i.e. deus ex machina appears and give you a choice of three doors)? I know that DX:HR got panned for it's ending, and am wondering if ME3 will receive a similar reception.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #1125
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Haven't gotten far enough in the game to judge much, having fun is about the best and worse I can say, but I will state I really enjoyed the day one DLC. So far it has been the highlight of my playthrough.

About 9:30 hours in and all is well, except the lack of a stupid map 1/2 the time and the mislabling of the map. Little protip bioware, call a location the same thing on the map that you do in the journal.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 02:29 AM   #1126
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
For those that have finished the game
Actually,
Show spoiler
Old 03-10-2012, 03:49 AM   #1127
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
@Sal--Agree w/DP. MP is fine if you want it, but should be no more than icing on the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth333 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former
@ D3: It's not just the Femshep walk/run animation that's horrid, the male shep and npc walk/run animation looks pretty strange to me too... in the ME3 demo I mean, I don't remember it being bad in previous games, but in the demo things did seem pretty off.
Thanks for confirming it was not just a vague impression I had...
View page
YouTube Video

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 04:57 AM   #1128
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
@Sal--Agree w/DP. MP is fine if you want it, but should be no more than icing on the cake.

View page
YouTube Video
BEAT YA TO IT! Post #1063

All going good so far. I'm one of the few that actually seems to love this game.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 05:07 AM   #1129
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
If the ending is anything like the spoilers I've read that were leaked months ago then I know what to expect...

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #1130
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Other than Chobot's walk-like-a-hooker animations, it seems like most of the female animations are the same terrible ones from ME2. At least for NPCs anyway - don't play a FemShep myself. Watching Liara walking around at times is quite disturbing. There's this whole weird semi-squat stance the animations seem to have, especially noticeable traversing stairs.

And on the subject on dodgy animations, it seems they use a toned down version of that jittery, head-shaking talking animation from the Rachni puppet-Asari in ME1. I've seen Shep do it, and some NPCs. Looks bizarre.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #1131
Red Hessian

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Ok, I've finished the game in 35 hours (with a default face ), did every quest and side quest I could find and from what I've seen of the ending (the one I've gotten, at least):

Show spoiler
Red Hessian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #1132
Sylthar
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hessian View Post
Ok, I've finished the game in 35 hours (with a default face ), did every quest and side quest I could find and from what I've seen of the ending (the one I've gotten, at least):

Show spoiler
I have to say I agree with you, though I'm going to try and play Multiplayer just before the final mission of ME3 and see if I can get a better ending. However the endings that I've read about are just as disappointing or insanely stupid.

Show spoiler

Sylthar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #1133
Trex
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Grr. Seems like I've been hit by the character import bug.

I think I'll patiently wait for a patch to fix the problem.

Provided it doesn't take more than a week, then I won't be able to resist it anymore.

KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC : THE JEDI MASTERS
PLAY THE TOTAL CONVERSION MOD NOW! . | If you're interested, my almighty fanfic can be read here.
Trex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #1134
MsFicwriter

Current Game: Arcanum
Roleplayer 
It appears that, from reading forum spoiler content, my theory about ME3 was right:

spoiler:
I thought, "BioWare is going to pull a DA2 on ME3, in which all of the endings are basically the same with minor differences. Individual players' choices will matter down to the most obscure minutiae, yes--but then the ultimate ending will be what BioWare wants it to be, not the players. This is also what happened with KOTOR II: TSL and Kreia being Darth Traya. Obsidian Entertainment got crucified for this, so why not BW/EA?"

On the upside, is there any partial nudity in the romance scenes with your LI? That'll be the only way I'll be tempted to buy this game.
MsFicwriter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #1135
Sylthar
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFicwriter View Post
It appears that, from reading forum spoiler content, my theory about ME3 was right:

spoiler:
I thought, "BioWare is going to pull a DA2 on ME3, in which all of the endings are basically the same with minor differences. Individual players' choices will matter down to the most obscure minutiae, yes--but then the ultimate ending will be what BioWare wants it to be, not the players. This is also what happened with KOTOR II: TSL and Kreia being Darth Traya. Obsidian Entertainment got crucified for this, so why not BW/EA?"

On the upside, is there any partial nudity in the romance scenes with your LI? That'll be the only way I'll be tempted to buy this game.
I don't know about all of them, but if you romance Kaidan he'll be in his boxers. x]

Show spoiler

Old 03-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #1136
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Diablo III RoS (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Started playing last night. I never expected much out of ME3 and despite that my initial impressions are still quite negative. The first thing that stands out are the poor visuals, which just might look worse than even ME1, even with all the graphical settings in the config tool maxed out. The next is the high degree of automatization in conversations and the overall lack of convo options and high restrictiveness in character interaction.

I do like the fact that they added back grenades and weapon mods and that they expanded the skill tree (compared to ME2). I also like the fact that Shepard's shields and health are more durable in combat (again, compared to ME2) and that health doesn't regenerate automatically, at least not fully. The squadmates seem more useful during combat as well, which is another plus. However, the roll action has so far done more harm to me than good and the fact that we still have the omni-button, instead of mapping certain actions to separate keys only worsens the situation for me.

On a smaller note, I like that the ME2 Mission Complete screen is gone. On another small note, I don't understand the change in appearance of certain characters (Bailey, Udina), or the change in Alliance and C-Sec uniforms. Again, these are just the initial impressions after playing through the two prologue missions, the Citadel and the Controversial DLC Character(tm) recruitment mission. I might post my definitive impressions after I finish the game.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #1137
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Someone should Tweet/email Karpyshyn and see if he had anything to do with the endings or if they were all Walters' bright idea.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #1138
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
this is probably an incredibly dumb question. But how can I actually attach the N7 patch on to something like a cloth shirt? Do I need to buy another piece of velcro to stitch/stick on it, which the n7 patch will cling on to?

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #1139
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
this is probably an incredibly dumb question. But how can I actually attach the N7 patch on to something like a cloth shirt? Do I need to buy another piece of velcro to stitch/stick on it, which the n7 patch will cling on to?
Or, you could just stitch it on directly. I personally just put mine on my pea coat.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #1140
Red Hessian

Current Game: Dragon Age Origins
Quote:
Someone should Tweet/email Karpyshyn and see if he had anything to do with the endings or if they were all Walters' bright idea.
It seems to me the powers that be somehow muscled Karpyshyn out of the franchise entirely. I found no mention of him being involved in ME in any way since Mass Effect: Retribution.
Red Hessian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #1141
logan23
Veteran

I believe Karpyshyn was involve with an old plot for me3 which was later changed.

ME3 reminds me of what happen with kotor2 sith lords. If you completed the game you probably know what talking about.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #1142
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
I didn't see Drew anywhere in the credits.

Nor did I hear, "embrace eternity", "glass mother", "single, glorious ________" or anything else that sounded like it should be delivered by William Shatner, so I think it's safe to say that Karpyshyn had no role in ME3.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #1143
Sylthar
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23 View Post
I believe Karpyshyn was involve with an old plot for me3 which was later changed.

ME3 reminds me of what happen with kotor2 sith lords. If you completed the game you probably know what talking about.
Seconded.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #1144
logan23
Veteran

There is a chance they will change the ending or patch it since EA must be looking at this and saying is the mass effect IP damaged, will people pay for any dlc?

It would be in EA/bioware's best interest to patch the ending in a way that won't break the bank but satisfy the fan base and repair the IP.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #1145
jedi_consular16
Rookie

Patch the ending?? I'm only about 7 hours into the game...is it really that bad?

I'm thoroughly enjoying the game so far, although I'm getting the feeling that I'm spending far much more time going through dialogue in passive-NPC areas than I am actual combat so far. Did anyone else get this impression in the early game? And, does it change at all? Not to say that I don't enjoy the RPG story progression, I do, but I feel like the ratio has been changed unnecessarily from ME2.
jedi_consular16 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #1146
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
There is a chance they will change the ending or patch it since EA must be looking at this and saying is the mass effect IP damaged, will people pay for any dlc?

It would be in EA/bioware's best interest to patch the ending in a way that won't break the bank but satisfy the fan base and repair the IP.
I don't think you quite understand how patches work. Patches are to fix bugs, not writing.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #1147
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Well they are "patching" the latest ME novel by Dietz to fix all the continuity errors, after the forum went crazy on its release. But no, I seriously doubt there will be any change in the ending/s. You'll just get some canned PR response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_consular16 View Post
Patch the ending?? I'm only about 7 hours into the game...is it really that bad?
I think the problem most people have with the ending/s is that it is Bioware's end, not the end for the player's Shepard. After 5 years, 3 games and probably 100+ hours of playtime for a single character, there's no real resolution to Shepard's personal story, at least not in the direct sense that most fans probably wanted/expected anyway. It's very similar to DA2 in a lot of ways. You go through the whole game making a series of choices and experiencing the repercussions of choices in past games. Yet at the end, all that is ultimately meaningless - your choices amount to nought. What you get is the movie Bioware wanted to make, with the only input being what colour the special effects are. And it's not even a good movie, or not a very satisfying one anyway.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #1148
logan23
Veteran

I heard fallout 3's ending was patched do to outcry about it.

It's possible but we might have to wait till after they see a huge dip in people buying dlc. This will be a clear marker.

We will see if this outcry about the endings are around 3 weeks from now and what happens to the future dlc sales.

I personally won't buy the dlc and I bought most of the me2 (except the weapon or clothing skins) And it's not because a protest but psychological I don't see the point.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #1149
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I heard fallout 3's ending was patched do to outcry about it.
All I'm familiar with is Bethesda cutting the whole nuclear bomb thing from the Japanese version for obvious reasons. Which is still not the same thing.

In fact, the only patched ending I'm familiar with is the PC version of Portal, but that was simply for promotional reasons.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #1150
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

FO3 changed the end to allow your character to survive rather than die, but only so you could use that character in DLC. Specifically the BOS one that was a direct continuation of the main story. After the credits roll, ME3 dumps you back just before you launch into the final battle so you have a save for DLC, so they don't need to change the ending on that account.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #1151
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
After the credits roll, ME3 dumps you back just before you launch into the final battle so you have a save for DLC, so they don't need to change the ending on that account.
Which is the same thing they did for Dragon Age II. And in both cases, it's understandable, although I'm only guessing with Mass Effect 3, since I haven't beaten it yet.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #1152
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
This is the most ****ing depressing game I've ever played. If Bioware doesn't make some changes, I'm not replaying it.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #1153
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

By the way, after completing a second playthrough I can now seemingly confirm that Bioware are indeed lying about being able to get the best ending without requiring MP. Based on the various descriptions of the endings floating about, you need 5,000 EMS to get the best ending, which is absolutely impossible with a readiness of 50%. The maximum EMS you can get in that instance is about 3,500 or so, as I mentioned previously.

Also, I think I get what they mean by "best" ending now:
Show spoiler

So it's a case of semantics basically. They can lie, albeit with an element of truth "from a certain point of view".

Last edited by DarthParametric; 03-11-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #1154
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Interestingly, I just came to a completely different conclusion.

I don't know which sites you've referenced, DarthParametric, but the one I looked at listed the possible endings based on "Readiness". I assumed that "Readiness" meant EMS, but having just hit 1,900 Total Military Strength (TMS) and seeing the minimum mark hit, I'm thinking that "Readiness" = TMS, not EMS.

If that's the case, then Bioware didn't lie and the "Readiness Rating 5,000" that I've been looking at as the gold standard would be a EMS of about 2,500 (which is rather easy to get in single-player).
Old 03-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #1155
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Readiness is the percentage that determines your effective strength from your total strength. It's 50% by default for SP, thus EMS will be half of TMS.

I reached my conclusion based on the fact that
Show spoiler

This was with TMS scores of 6,500 and 7,000. Thus I concluded that the figure of 5,000 being floated around must be EMS, not TMS.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #1156
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Readiness is the percentage that determines your effective strength from your total strength. It's 50% by default for SP, thus EMS will be half of TMS.
I'm very much aware of this. I was merely pointing out that the site that I looked at referenced "Readiness" and I assumed that it was referring to EMS, when it appears that it was actually referring to TMS.

Quote:
I reached my conclusion based on the fact that
Show spoiler

This was with TMS scores of 6,500 and 7,000. Thus I concluded that the figure of 5,000 being floated around must be EMS, not TMS.
And that may be the case. I came to my conclusion based on the fact that the site I looked at listed possible endings starting around 1,800 and that just happens to be the TMS when the EMS bar hits "Minimum".

To your point
Show spoiler
Old 03-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #1157
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Yeah I said in an earlier post that the strength progress bar seems to equate to an EMS of about 3,000, given the the "minimum" line drawn on it is an EMS of 1,000 (at 50% readiness). That's why when I started my second playthrough I thought maybe the values floating around for the "best" endings were actually TMS. But then I again revised that view on finishing the second playthrough, as noted above.

I could do the ultimate test to prove it one way or another by editing the save to set the TMS to some crazy high number like 20,000. But I'm not really in a hurry to run through the whole drawn-out end sequence again after having just burned through the game twice in a few days.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #1158
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Or reload a save and see if the other options yield different results.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:24 AM   #1159
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Can't, as you can't manually save for about the last 30-40 minutes of the game, and the auto-save just before the end gets overwritten after the credits roll. Besides, there wouldn't be much point in reloading that late. I want to see if boosting the EMS to 5,000 or more actually does make a difference making the same choice. Also, I heard a suggestion that there may be some minor differences in
Show spoiler
Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #1160
Sylthar
Rookie

Just for future reference, if you've never played MP on the xbox, you might wanna find a couple of friends to level up with, otherwise they'll probably kick you out of the game because you're only level 1. ._. happened to me.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Mass Effect 3