lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mass Effect 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #1921
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Here's the one for ME2: http://www.lynkformer.com/2014/02/03...mass-effect-2/

It's twice as long as the first one.

Lynk Former is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #1922
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Here's the ME3 entry: http://www.lynkformer.com/2014/02/08...mass-effect-3/

Hopefully someone reads it... this all had to be for something.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #1923
supreme kotor

Current Game: Modding.. Wait is that a game?
Lynk, you described the Normandy stupendously. By far the best description I have heard of the ship.

The rest of the article was pretty good too and certainly was a fun read remembering old times. I almost wanted to take my copy of me2 out again

Current WIP: Learning to mod Kotor
supreme kotor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #1924
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post

Hopefully someone reads it... this all had to be for something.
Enjoyed it very much. We're on the same page, Bioware did a good job on all the characters envolved in the 3 games. Though I have the same 'feelings' towards Kaiden and Ashely. Most of the times I just got bored talking to them. I never cared much who ended up dead. I loved Wrex more

Allthough, I found out with ME3, I had met so many characters I started to care less about the new ones in my crew. After the dirty dozen routine of ME2 I wasn't up to go through the whole 'hello, I'm Shepard' let's be friends conversation thing.

And the ending of ME3 is just weird... I do need replay ME3 again, haven't tested the Citadel DLC. So I skipped that bit of your 'review', as not to get spoiled to much, just took notion it's the best thing out there ^_^

I would have enjoyed an ending where the super weapon just started to shoot the Reapers out of the sky. Rallying the Alliance fleet... the turning point in the war.
Or follow the Illusive Men, taking his place and go with the Reapers or some such crap. Though it doesn't really fit. Anyway Bioware has always done this sort of thing.
But it fitted better for say Kotor to have this black and white choice, it fits better within the games universe.

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #1925
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

BioWare did a very smart thing with the squad line-up. I'm glad they brought back the original line-up from ME1, having familiar faces on your crew really helped the game and Shepard face the final chapter of his journey when he knew he had people he could count on.

I also like that you're given the choice to have Ashley/Kaiden on your crew or tell them they'd do more good working alone as a Spectre.

EDI's body was an interesting move because although it gave a new form to EDI, it didn't introduce a new character, it simply gave a body to a character Shepard already knows.

The only new person on your squad is James Vega, who is needed to give an outsiders perspective. But the fact that he's Alliance military makes it a perfect fit because Shepard doesn't need to get to know him, he's had a field transfer to the Normandy and he now works for Shepard, end of story. His purpose was more to be an outsider looking in and making comments about the people you did know from the previous games. He's also a representation of the guilt heavy decisions may end up making on a person since he too has had to make some hard decisions that have cost him and others.

Aside from Vega, there wasn't anyone new (not counting Cortez and Traynor) for Shepard to meet and becomes friends with, for the most part, ME3 was about the connections Shepard had made in previous games and how the connections he made would help him in his journey to unite the galaxy.

Also... prefer Kaiden over Ashley any day... he's a reasonable man while she's... much less reasonable. Down right pushy, in fact.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:35 AM   #1926
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
James Vega, who is needed to give an outsiders perspective.
That, and to make sure they had enough squad members guaranteed not to be dead.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2014, 02:46 AM   #1927
HED
Rookie

I don't know that I agree that the outsider's perspective was necessary. At least, not to the point where they had to take up a full companion spot for Vega.

I still hold that introducing a Batarian squadmate was something that would've been great.

"HOW CAN YU TRET MEH LIKE DAT"
HED is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2014, 03:19 AM   #1928
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

@ DP: True. In a scenario where Garrus and Tali died and the player never bothered to get Javik's DLC pack, they'd be down to Liara, EDI, Ashley/Kaidan and Vega.

@HED: A batarian squadmate would've been a lot more interesting, I agree, but it would've also overcomplicated things. If they wanted to introduce a batarian into the mix, the best time would've been in ME2. There wasn't really time to get chummy with the squad like in previous games and since Vega was Alliance, all Shepard needed from him was to do his job.

Also, I didn't like Vega initially, as I said in my blog posts... too dudebro... but he's not a bad character, he was the right kind of character to have when you need an extra person on your squad that doesn't end up taking the spotlight off of the characters from past games who have a history with Shepard.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:00 AM   #1929
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
In a scenario where Garrus and Tali died and the player never bothered to get Javik's DLC pack, they'd be down to Liara, EDI, Ashley/Kaidan and Vega.
Plus Ashley/Kaidan are basically absent for half the game, and potentially never play any further part beyond the Mars mission (either being killed or not coming back). Presumably this was the primary reason they gave EDI a body.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:16 AM   #1930
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Now I'm trying to imagine a scenario where almost everyone is dead by the time you have the party in Citadel.

You'd have to kill Wrex on Virmire, kill off the entire crew during the suicide mission aside from Mordin and Thane then have those two sacrifice themselves during the events of ME3 as usual and then kill Ashley/Kaidan as well when they protect the council.

That leaves... Liara, EDI, Vega, Cortez, Traynor and Joker left for the party... er, small gathering *looks around*

Oh, and then by the end of the game you can have such a low EMS that you can take Liara and Vega along, get them killed by Harbinger then choose the Destroy ending and kill off EDI... oh, and not install the EC to make sure the Normandy is stranded with no hope on that unknown planet... or does the Normandy get incinerated by the red space magic blast with a low EMS? Either way... no one survives.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:23 AM   #1931
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I wonder what that party would be like, if they put in any specific dialogue for a high number of deaths. Guess I should browse Youtube.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:39 AM   #1932
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Especially if you're a renegade Shepard and treat everyone like dirt and then suddenly invite them for a party lol. The mission beforehand would be pretty empty too now that I think about it. Not really much room for Team Mako and Team Hammerhead with 3 people left alive... that whole scenario would be so... hollow.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:25 AM   #1933
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzqWiynVdUA

Shep just takes it all in his stride. So stoic.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #1934
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Wow... that really is the saddest photo ever.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #1935
HED
Rookie

Quote:
@HED: A batarian squadmate would've been a lot more interesting, I agree, but it would've also overcomplicated things. If they wanted to introduce a batarian into the mix, the best time would've been in ME2. There wasn't really time to get chummy with the squad like in previous games and since Vega was Alliance, all Shepard needed from him was to do his job.
I feel like a batarian squadmate would have helped hammer home the idea of old hatreds being set aside in the face of the Reapers. The game already works to resolve the plots of Salarians and Krogans, and the Quarians and Geth. Would have been worthwhile to have some resolution to the Human and Batarian rivalry.

If the game could take the time to introduce Javik, I think a Batarian could've worked just as well.

"HOW CAN YU TRET MEH LIKE DAT"
HED is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #1936
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
It was resolved. The Batarians are all dead.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #1937
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

There was a resolution to the Batarian and Human rivalry of sorts in my game... Despite all of the animosity between them, Shepard did various things to help the Batarian refugees on the Citadel, taking the time to talk to one of them who survived the destruction of the Alpha relay (it's a lot more personal between them if you completed Arrival) and then finishing it off with Balak. Despite his hate of humans, his species being put on the endangered/near extinction list, he has no choice but to put aside his feelings for humans and pledge what's left of the Batarian military's support to fight along side the humans against the Reapers instead of sabotaging them like they were before. There's also a Batarian on Omega, forget his name, who ends up respecting Shepard and even tells him "just know that there's one Batarian who doesn't hate humans."

In fact, now that I think about it, all of the species had their small to large moments in the game, they just didn't have the spotlight on them equally, which I think is fine. But as I said before, if a Batarian squad mate was going to be introduced, the best time would have been during the events of ME2 where it was ONLY humans on the line at the time. Imagine if you had a Batarian squad mate join you at that time, now THAT would have been an interesting companion to have at a time when the enemy was hunting down humans.

As for Javik's character... he was a lot different because he didn't bother getting to know the crew, he offered another outsiders perspective but what he was most important for was giving you background information about everything that happened with the Protheans and the Reapers... and some very funny moments.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Mass Effect 3