lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Mass Effect 3
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #161
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
How would they square that with those of us who blew it to atoms at the end of ME2?
not to mention Shepard has the only known drive-core that can get someone to the base and back.

Last edited by mimartin; 04-08-2011 at 02:13 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #162
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
If the exclusion of Tali isn't just a oversight or marketing ploy, ChAiNz will not be happy. Not happy at all. I may be a little upset too
Yeah.. I'd figure I'd hold my comments hoping it will be an editorial mistake or that Tali is included in the "itís a matter of getting another crew together to take on the Reaper menace and save Earth" part of the Article.

It had better be

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #163
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
$69.99 DLC Romancing the Tali coming soon.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #164
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Tali may have been marginalised (along with most of the rest of the ME2 cast) because of the whole potentially dead at the end of ME2 thing. But given how rabid her fan base is, I'm sure she'll make an appearance of some sort, even if it's just to drop in for the obligatory pre-final showdown shag.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #165
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
What To Expect From “Mass Effect 3″: The Factions

I recommend that certain people read the section on Quarians.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #166
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
So after realizing they over-streamlined, they're putting ME3 where ME2 should have been mechanics-wise, and calling it an upgrade. At least they're doing it though. That isn't to say I disliked ME2, I was just surprised when it turned out to be a rather good shooter-with-occasional-conversation, instead of a rather good RPG-with-shooty bits. Looks like ME3 might turn out to be a rather good Shooter-RPG, without one aspect being dominant enough to all but cancel out the other.

I'm liking the talk of alternative endings, but the magazine's comparison to ME2 worries me. While I was happy with ME2's various endings, that was in part because I recognized that they were allowing the most change they could if they wanted the sequel's story to follow in any way logically. It had two real endings (not counting Shepard death, since that can't continue to ME3), giving the collector base away, or blowing it up (all the others were just different configurations of which crew-members died, and don't really change the state of the game universe much). Considering Bioware wants the story to flow no matter which you pick, this is very impressive.

However, with ME3, they can do so much more. Since they don't need to worry about a sequel limiting the changes a player can cause in the game universe, the degree of possible options is huge. While I have no doubt that the 'real' (read: not counting as losing the game) endings will all have the Reapers defeated, I'd hope that the player will have more of an impact than just saving the day as RainbowHugs Shepard, or as BadassJerk Shepard. At the very least, I'd hope that one could choose between restoring the status quo of aliens and humans on a roughly equal footing, or siding with (perhaps taking over) Cerberus and ensuring human supremacy over the lesser races (or even begin to cleanse the galaxy of alien filth). Options like those (and hopefully more) would go a long way to make the player's story have lasting impact on the galaxy.

edit: Just read the link Achilles posted. I'm kind of hoping that the writer is wrong, and that ME3 won't be yet another "unite the races to help you in the final battle" a la DA:O, and many other games. While Bioware does recycle quite a bit of story material, (it's just like that other thing, but this time, in SPACE!), I'd hope that they wouldn't do it within a 2 year period. Though if there were the potential for convincing the Quarians to fight against the Geth, the Krogans against the Salarians/Turians, with a promise of covert assistance to all parties after the Reapers are defeated, thus weakening all the most militarily powerful non-human species (the Asari, while good economically, wouldn't be anywhere near a match for humans in a war, IIRC), then I'd probably reconsider. Any game that allows the player to be a magnificent bastard gets bonus points from me. The more common type of video game evil is just being a violent thug, instead of a clever, manipulative, violent thug.

--Too Dumb to Quit--

Last edited by Liverandbacon; 04-08-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #167
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
I can't see that happening...

How would they square that with those of us who blew it to atoms at the end of ME2?
Being one of those, that's a good point. I'm drawing a blank here.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #168
Xarwarz
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Well i believe ME3 is headed toward being an mmo after the third installment unless they plan on making 3 more after this.

USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD
xediixarwarz.com

NEXTGEN PICZ
Show spoiler
Xarwarz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #169
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
This is interesting, it says there WON'T be any multiplayer...

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...ails-revealed/

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #170
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
What To Expect From “Mass Effect 3″: The Factions

I recommend that certain people read the section on Quarians.
Nice read.

I still believe dark energy is going to play an important part in ME3. They just gave too many hints about it in ME2 for it to mean nothing.

Never really thought about the Udina versus Anderson in that way makes me kind of wish I would have picked Udina at least once. All in all, I think I’ve set up my saves rather nicely if the speculation in the article is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
However, with ME3, they can do so much more. Since they don't need to worry about a sequel limiting the changes a player can cause in the game universe, the degree of possible options is huge. While I have no doubt that the 'real' (read: not counting as losing the game) endings will all have the Reapers defeated, I'd hope that the player will have more of an impact than just saving the day as RainbowHugs Shepard, or as BadassJerk Shepard.
I want the Shepard saves the day followed by stones fall down upon their head ending.

Last edited by mimartin; 04-08-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #171
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
I'm kind of hoping that the writer is wrong, and that ME3 won't be yet another "unite the races to help you in the final battle" a la DA:O, and many other games.
I'm sorry, but I just can't see how anyone could NOT see this coming.

Tali's loyalty mission, Legion's loyalty mission, resolution of the subsequent conflict, status of Wrex (and his interaction in ME2 if he survived), etc, etc all SCREAM that this is exactly what we should be expecting in ME3.

Quote:
I want the Shepard saves the day followed by stones fall down upon their head ending.
We are not amused.

Last edited by Achilles; 04-08-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #172
Primogen

Current Game: The Witcher
The only issue that I see is that you've got so many people owing you favors at the end that it's going to be a bit of a clusterfrak.

The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #173
mstr kenobi
Rookie

Quote:

Tali's loyalty mission, Legion's loyalty mission, resolution of the subsequent conflict, status of Wrex (and his interaction in ME2 if he survived), etc, etc all SCREAM that this is exactly what we should be expecting in ME3.
I agree, the writing is on the wall...
mstr kenobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #174
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
I would imagine the reasoning behind the Cerberus thing is simply that they needed 10-15 hours of filler combat before the cutscene at the end where you kill the Reapers.
I'm pretty sure they've already said that the Reapers would be arriving at the start of ME3...

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #175
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:

Which is why I said 'hoping', not 'expecting' it to be different.

Of course I agree that it's the most likely course things will take, but that doesn't change the fact that I would prefer it if Bioware waited more than 2 years before recycling a plot to an even greater extent than they normally do.

Hell, even the 'find/construct the one ancient/newly invented object that can save the day' hasn't been used as recently, and would actually make more sense than than throwing every united species' might at the Reapers. Considering one Reaper could destroy so many of the most powerful species' ships, that there are at least 300 of them coming (that's assuming the ones we saw on screen at the end of ME2 are all of them), and that most of the galaxy isn't even mobilizing for war since the Council still doesn't believe in Reapers, throwing everyone at them would just result in everyone dying.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Old 04-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #176
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Well, as long as they don't Independence Day it and "upload" some kind of virus into the Reapers....

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #177
Primogen

I actually expect sort of both to happen. Obviously there's going to be an epic war with everyone fighting the Reapers, but I don't think that's how the story is going to end. That would pretty much leave Shepard out of the loop. No, I think while they're trying desperately to hold the Reapers back, Shepard's going to be off Sheparding the Sheps. Maybe he'll blow up the Citadel, disable the entire Mass Relay network and strand the Reapers in their little networks of systems. Maybe he'll figure out the secret of Element Zero and find a way to turn all Eezo inert. That would be a fun ending. You save the galaxy by destroying the cornerstone of civilization.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #178
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
If Tali'Zorah Vas Normandy isn't a squadmate in ME3, especially after i romanced her, I will nuke every BioWare employee into the ground. Then I will hug Chainz while he cries and whisper "It will be okay"

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #179
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primogen View Post
Maybe he'll figure out the secret of Element Zero and find a way to turn all Eezo inert.
Actually, something along these lines might tie in with Mimi's observations about "Dark Energy".
Old 04-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #180
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Actually, something along these lines might tie in with Mimi's observations about "Dark Energy".
I'd have to agree with all 3 of you Achilles, Mimartin & Primogen

As much as it was thrown around in ME2, and along with the Quarians studying dark energy and the collapse of suns (which creates eezo).. it HAS to be part of the story catalyst

Not sure exactly on the whos whats whens hows and whys, but I'd wager it's a plot device to jump-start the main mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Effect Wiki
Eezo is generated when solid matter, such as a planet, is affected by the energy of a star going supernova. The material is common in the asteroid debris that orbits neutron stars and pulsars.
source

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #181
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Well, as long as they don't Independence Day it and "upload" some kind of virus into the Reapers....
I don't want that (the virus), a super secret Reaper off switch or a group of primitive teddy bear to help save the day. Beyond that Iím game for anything.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #182
mstr kenobi
Rookie

Quote:
I don't want that (the virus), a super secret Reaper off switch or a group of primitive teddy bear to help save the day. Beyond that I’m game for anything.
I would also add that i don't want dark energy to be like the force/dark side, meaning, the explanation to anything that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #183
Primogen

You would be up for a splinter group of Reapers arriving at the climax of the plot and destroying all the other Reapers, thus making everything Shepard's done throughout the series completely irrelevant because the Reapers were going to be stopped anyway?

Old 04-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #184
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstr kenobi View Post
I would also add that i don't want dark energy to be like the force/dark side, meaning, the explanation to anything that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
I did not get the impression from the hints in ME2 that dark energy would be anything like that.

Iím thinking it is either Reaper technology or someone other than Ceberus believes Shepardís story and are experimenting with dark energy thinking it is outside of the Reapers scope of technology. The galaxy is way too dependent on the roadmap of technical advancement the Reapers left behind. Something outside that realm may be the key to bringing them down; a theory hinted at by TIM in ME2 but then thrown away when TIM wanted to save the Collector, so basically a guess on my part. Perhaps the Geth or the rachni, they are at least two species that know Shepard is telling the truth and know a little about Reaper technology.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #185
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Anyone else get the feeling that the Keepers might have a role in 3?

I thought that was all played out in 1, except that Mordin comments on them in 2.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #186
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Anyone else get the feeling that the Keepers might have a role in 3?

OOOOOOHHHHH! OOOOOOHHHHH! OOOOOOHHHHH!
Old 04-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #187
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Good job, Mimi. About three of us are old enough to get that.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #188
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I'm pretty sure they've already said that the Reapers would be arriving at the start of ME3...
Yes, but that doesn't mean anything. You can't defeat them straight away obviously, lest the game last only 5 minutes. And you can't fight 200-300 Reapers interactively regardless. So the logical conclusion is that you will spend the vast majority of the game running around small linear areas hiding behind cover shooting at humanoids before finding some magical solution and using it to kill all the Reapers in a cutscene at the end. Seeing as how Cerberus have conveniently turned against you in the face of impending galactic doom, I suspect there will be no shortage of said humanoids. And of course they have shown a few new Reaper creations that look like something out of Doom, which I'm sure they'll sprinkle in for a touch of flavour.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:42 AM   #189
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I never said that, I only said the Reapers look to be there at the start of the game.

And I agree with you about not fighting the reapers directly, I was just talking to mim a few hours ago about how Shep would most likely go on some quest to find a way to destroy all of the reapers at once while the rest of the galaxy tries to hold off the reapers some how... but Cerberus turning against Shep isn't convenient, it's only natural considering that they want to come out on top by the end of the conflict with the Reapers and be in a position to take control of the galaxy themselves and even be credited with the Reapers destruction... they wouldn't just go after Shep because it's to shoot things.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #190
mstr kenobi
Rookie

I can totally see TIM sitting on a powerfull armada and waiting until the end to make his move against the Reapers.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #191
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I was taking convenience in terms of a plot device for the developers. Makes their life easier if the majority of hapless peons you have to wade through for most of the game are just black retextures of all the humanoid models they used for mercs in ME2.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #192
Drunkside
Satanīs little helper

So the Cebs are enemies now... I wonder how they explain that when i spared that freaking space station. I had no intention of giving it to TIM and i told him to f*** off though I wanted to kill him anyway, those eyes creep me out.

Saivoīs New demo, A Cruel Northern Land is out! Listen to it on our mikseri.net bandpage.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=117610
Drunkside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #193
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:
I was taking convenience in terms of a plot device for the developers. Makes their life easier if the majority of hapless peons you have to wade through for most of the game are just black retextures of all the humanoid models they used for mercs in ME2.
You know, if they work in the idea that as an elite, hidden, organization, Cerberus' forces would be limited in size and often hire mercs for grunt work, they could save even more dev time by doing even less reskinning. Bioware can send the check in the mail.

I don't really have a problem with models not changing much, since within the game's timeline, armor and weapons tech are unlikely to have changed much, and ME2's graphics still hold up perfectly well. Saved dev time could go to other aspects of the game.

Shepards that are cool with aliens are easy to put Cerberus against. The easiest way I can see to reconcile having a Humanocentrist Shepard (who would want Cerberus to win) with having Cerberus as an enemy would be to make TIM worry that Shepard, with his record and ability to inspire loyalty, would be a threat to his position as leader of the organization. Personal greed would outweigh devotion to humanity, and he'd try to have Shepard killed. Taking over Cerberus would be just awesome enough to have me play an alien-hating Shepard. I never could be bothered to do it before, since I like how my Shep and Garrus have a whole Boondock Saints vigilante duo thing going, minus the religion.

Quote:
Good job, Mimi. About three of us are old enough to get that.
I'm sure plenty people here would recognize Horshack. At least I hope so, since I've never considered myself one of the old fogeys here, and I'd prefer for that not to change.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Old 04-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #194
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Saved dev time could go to other aspects of the game.
Indeed. That worked out well in DA2.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #195
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
It would be interesting if during the trial in the beginning of the game you could either spill your guts about Cerb and some of their deals and your actions which would get them kind of pissed. These choices could be a way to determine if Miranda for example will be friendly or join back with cerbs.

This also could be used to affect which ME2 party members who are possible companions to want to come back or kill you, or forget you.

As for why Cerbs wants you dead I'm assuming as mentioned in ME2 there are many different cells of cerbs out there....the ILM might be interested in making a deal or getting control of Reaper tech to remove aliens and leave only humans. After all ILM built Shepherd as he was 100 percent as a form of bait for the Collectors and Reapers. ILM could have trained an army but the one person who killed a Reaper is actually going to be of a threat.

All I know is i'm happy for no multiply and this going to be a fun ride to see the end to 3 part story.

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #196
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:
Indeed. That worked out well in DA2.
I never said they would use extra dev time well, just that it opens up the possibility.

Also, re-using well made character models from a good-looking recent game in the same universe is very different from making just a few levels and copy-pasting them all over a game (a la ME1 and DA2).

I assume that's what you're referring to, since I haven't played any of DA2 other than the demo (and don't really plan to), and that's the complaint I've heard that would make sense in this context. I'm also assuming you were being sarcastic.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Old 04-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #197
mstr kenobi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan23 View Post
It would be interesting if during the trial in the beginning of the game you could either spill your guts about Cerb and some of their deals and your actions which would get them kind of pissed. These choices could be a way to determine if Miranda for example will be friendly or join back with cerbs.
This would be a bit weird since by the end of the game, Miranda is more part of Shepard's team, them she is Cerberus imo.

Quote:
The easiest way I can see to reconcile having a Humanocentrist Shepard (who would want Cerberus to win) with having Cerberus as an enemy would be to make TIM worry that Shepard, with his record and ability to inspire loyalty, would be a threat to his position as leader of the organization. Personal greed would outweigh devotion to humanity, and he'd try to have Shepard killed. Taking over Cerberus would be just awesome enough to have me play an alien-hating Shepard.
I originally thought about this explanation as well, Shepard is gaining the loyalty of Cerberus and might represent a threat for TIM and must be removed, but TIM getting insecure is so out of character...

I think the idea of how you are going to use Cerberus resources being the breaking point works better.

And yeah, it's gonna be awesome to take over Cerberus, even a pro human Shepard is not necessarily pro TIM (he is always an ass regardless).
Old 04-10-2011, 02:28 AM   #198
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
re-using well made character models from a good-looking recent game in the same universe is very different from making just a few levels and copy-pasting them all over a game (a la ME1 and DA2).
It's actually not that different in principle (and motivation), but I'll assume you mean that you aren't bothered by the former as opposed to the latter. Both examples are fairly jarring to my mind when compared to their respective forebears, but to each their own.

Quote:
I'm also assuming you were being sarcastic.
True, but it is only the garnish on a solid kernel of seriousness.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #199
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Another ME3 article

I'm interested to see how the "permanent" vs "temporary" squad mate dynamic plays out. I'm sure a lot of nervous Tali fanboys are too.

spoiler:
EDIT: Ooo! Who doesn't love hot Reaper-on-Thresher-Maw action?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #200
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
spoiler:
EDIT: Ooo! Who doesn't love hot Reaper-on-Thresher-Maw action?
spoiler:
And I always hunted the Threwer-Maws down in ME for the experience points. Now they may be the one thing that can defeat a Reaper.

Nice read, I’m already looking forward to the letdown in ME3 because I'm too pumped up about it.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Mass Effect 3