lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Skyrim: Elder Scrolls 5
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #81
HK-42
HK47+Marvin=

Current Game: AssassinsCreed,kotor
Hot Topic Starter 
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...scrolls/714851

GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY this game looks awesome

HK-42 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #82
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
^ Yeah, some gorgeous gameplay add-ons, like the dual-wielding and the shout magic (I was especially impressed by the one that calls a storm - weather changing magic is very welcome, IMO). Dragons look like a pain to defeat using melee only, but I guess that was expected. Their animations aren't very fluid, though. You'd think Bethesda would pay more attention to that, but I'm sure those things will be looked on.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #83
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
Their animations aren't very fluid, though. You'd think Bethesda would pay more attention to that, but I'm sure those things will be looked on.
Awful animations and character models (and beautiful landscapes) have been a hallmark of the Elder Scrolls series since Morrowind (where the character models were known to make your eyes bleed). So I'm personally not expecting too much in that area. As long as they're passable enough not to distract you from the rest of the game I'm satisfied.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #84
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoffe View Post
So I'm personally not expecting too much in that area. As long as they're passable enough not to distract you from the rest of the game I'm satisfied.
and moddable.

From what I've seen so far they have done a better job with the character models in Skyrim. Still I'm not worried about it as long as the game popular enough for people to spend time making mods.

Yesterday I was a buzz wanting to play ME3 and TOR, today I'm back to wanting Skyrim more.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #85
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
I'm from Elder Scrolls and what's a fluidic animation?

Looks fantastic!
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #86
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-42 View Post
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...scrolls/714851

GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY this game looks awesome
Absolutely can't wait for this game to come out. Thank goodness ME3 doesn't come out till March 2012..

G4TV just released another gameplay trailer yesterday. Has some of the stuff shown above.. but adds some more little tidbits as well. 14 minutes of OMFG.. hehehe

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/53441/The...Gameplay-Demo/

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #87
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
I'm split really..

I probably won't make it on my priority list, but I may pick it up when I just happen to have the money to spare. Oblivion was good though, and the whole dragon thing looks great in this.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #88
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Liked this article from The Escapist covering stealing and fighting elements of Skyrim.

Not being able to use a torch as a weapon and the crime mechanics have always annoyed in Oblivion/Morrowind.

They also are reporting in the article that hand to hand has been removed as a skill. No more punching mudcrabs when you are ready to level up.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #89
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Agh, those crystal ball guards annoyed the hell out of me. Pickpocketing was a therefore a pain if your character didn't have the adequate stats. Unless you reloaded once your mischief failed and you got caught, you're in for a night in jail, waiting or trying to break out with a single lockpick. Would be nice if people could bounty hunt you when you're out in the open, away from any safe town.

Quote:
They also are reporting in the article that hand to hand has been removed as a skill. No more punching mudcrabs when you are ready to level up.
I don't remember ever using my fists (or having a boxing-focused character for that matter) on the previous game unless it was absolutely necessary (early in game; when your weapons break; etc), so I'm good.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #90
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

I would use magic and hand to hand as my major skills in Oblivion and only use them when I was ready to level up (after increasing two minor skills by 10 (two minor skills that related to different Attributes). Then I would either use a homemade spell on my playable character or run around the shore line punching mudcraps and collecting nirnroots until it was time to sleep and level up. Something ChAiNz and stoffe taught me in the Oblivion thread. I used basically the same strategy once I played Morrowind.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #91
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

I think I'm going to miss punching mudcrabs

Old 06-09-2011, 10:41 AM   #92
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Just to tone down some of the excitement for Skyrim.

Bethesda: Consoles to be the lead platform for Skyrim, aim to make it “really accessible”

Quote:
The lead producer on Skyrim said: “We use the consoles as our lead SKU… So we develop towards the consoles and then porting to PC is usually not too bad actually .”
Credit goes to acdcfanbill for the link.

None of us want to be overly enthusiastic about Skyrim and have our expectations too high. Maybe this news will help dissipate some of those high expectations.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #93
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Well, there goes any hope for decent journal/character/inventory menu design. Which is a serious issue in an RPG. The quality of the graphics at maximum settings, and quite a few other factors, will most likely suffer as well. Mods can fix all of that, but I'm not especially willing to accept Bethesda leaving a bunch of the work they should've done to modders. When modders are being forced to finish a game for the devs, instead of adding cool new stuff to it, the devs have failed in their job. Even if there's a decent excuse (Obsidian getting rushed with KOTOR 2, for example), it's still a failure to some extent.

With that said, I like the versatility of the combat system, picking what to do with each hand (though I dread to see the 'dual wield stupidly huge FF style swords' mods that will surely come). I like the shout magic, since it gives sword+shield, sword+sword, and 2-handed sword (I doubt people will play shield+shield) players the option to use at least some spells without totally changing their equipment. I also like that Dragons need to be brought down somehow before you can beat them to death in melee. Sure, it'll be tougher for a melee centric character (which I often play), but I like the realism of a dragon actually using its natural advantages, instead of landing and running at you if you're using a sword.

He was talking about how not all dragons want to end the world. Does Elder Scrolls have the intelligent, possibly speech-capable, type of dragons in it, as opposed to the now more common non-sentient animal depiction? 'Cause that'd be cool. I miss dragons being wily bastards.

--Too Dumb to Quit--

Last edited by Liverandbacon; 06-09-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #94
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
Well, there goes any hope for decent journal/character/inventory menu design.
I don't know about that. At least as far as inventory menu design goes they link ChAiNz posted above looked pretty good in that regards. About at the 3:35 mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
He was talking about how not all dragons want to end the world. Does Elder Scrolls have the intelligent, possibly speech-capable, type of dragons in it, as opposed to the now more common non-sentient animal depiction? 'Cause that'd be cool. I miss dragons being wily bastards.
It sounds like they are intelligent (at least some of them). The playable character even gets to learn their language and from what I've read some will even speak English (or whatever language the NPC are speaking). Pretty sure the voice the PC learn are dragon speak and the PC was born with a dragon soul.

Last edited by mimartin; 06-09-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #95
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Not worried one bit since I'll be owning both console and pc versions
From the videos, I'm not seeing anything that is going to disappoint, and Beth's long time standing of releasing tools will make that a non-factor.

What WOULD make me sad/angry/bitter was if Beth ever changes their stance on releasing tools. Talk about a huge arse community revolt. By far one of the largest mobs you wouldn't want to see raged

Loving all the butt-hurt comments on the article's site though..

Last edited by ChAiNz.2da; 06-09-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #96
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Should I be excited about this game? I don't know. I'm still not over the fact I spent 50 bucks on Oblivion, which I disliked.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #97
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
Should I be excited about this game? I don't know. I'm still not over the fact I spent 50 bucks on Oblivion, which I disliked.
If the elements of Oblivion you disliked still seem to be present, be unexcited. If they're gone, be anywhere from neutral to excited. If you get too excited, you might end up with a bad game and $50 poorer. If you aren't excited enough, you might miss out on a cool game. REAL LIFE CHOICES & CONSEQUENCES! (RL is the best RPG ever made, despite having a terrible inventory system, very limited carry weight, a slow start, an unintuitive leveling system, no mods, absurdly difficult combat with only one difficulty level, and a ton of pointless filler content.)

Believe it or not, games come down to personal preference, despite my best attempts to inform people of the fact that they should stop liking what I don't like.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #98
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

I'm not too sure how I feel about this upcoming ES game tbh.

I gave many hours of my life to Morrowind between 04-06 and nearly as much to Oblivion.
Morrowind was the first game that gripped me in the sense that "I AM the character" as opposed to "i'm playing a computer game".

For the time being i'll just say this: I really hope the NPC's don't level up alongside the character like they did in Oblivion, that was a bad move imo.

VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #99
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
They are using the Fallout 3 approach as I recall - scaled when you first enter an area but static after that.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #100
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
I thought we pretty much knew this since the they said the game was being built on DX9, or was that another game, I can't remember.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2011, 09:41 PM   #101
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
They are using the Fallout 3 approach as I recall - scaled when you first enter an area but static after that.
That sounds good then, Will be intresting to see if you can be the leader of all the guilds at the same time again.

Tbh, i'm not sure if i'm going to go for TES5, the theme seems a bit camp and after being underwhelmed by Fallout 3 Besthesda has lost some of my trust.
I know at least one person who'll buy this the day it comes out so i'll wait to hear what he thinks of it probably.

Mass Effect 3 should be cool though.

VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2011, 12:28 AM   #102
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
I thought we pretty much knew this since the they said the game was being built on DX9, or was that another game, I can't remember.
No, that is correct. They have said since day 1 it was a console game first and foremost, with the PC version basically identical apart from some higher res textures. It will presumably be pretty much a 1:1 port of the 360 version, hence the DX9. It's no different from any other multiplatform game - you build for the lowest common denominator. That applies to both the hardware and the audience.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:52 AM   #103
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
No, that is correct. They have said since day 1 it was a console game first and foremost, with the PC version basically identical apart from some higher res textures. It will presumably be pretty much a 1:1 port of the 360 version, hence the DX9. It's no different from any other multiplatform game - you build for the lowest common denominator. That applies to both the hardware and the audience.
Not much change from how TES4:Oblivion was either. The interface of that game was extremely clunky and clearly designed for use with a controller instead of mouse/keyboard. So they're merely continuing along their old path.

(Unlike TES3:Morrowind where the UI seemed designed for use on a computer, mostly.)

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #104
harark1
Rookie

Current Game: Tsl, Jedi Acadmey
PErsonally, I loved Oblivion and Morrowind. SO I know I'm gonna get skyrim. Even if it's not the best there are plenty of new features announced that appeal to me. (Dual weilding(FTW), weapon and armor making, cooking, DRAGONS!!!!!!, and getting to see skyrim since it wasn't possible to do in oblivion.)

Scripting + Harark1 =

Death causes Life and Life causes Death.

And you say Murder isn't natural

This is the url for Ninth heart: http://www.jediquest.webs.com/
harark1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #105
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Decent article from AusGarmers with Bethesda's Tod Howard covering dragons, mod community, PC, consoles, possible console mods and DLC.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #106
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
I pre-ordered Skyrim whilst picking up DS3 and changing my pre-order for ME3 over to the ME3 CE
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-30-2011, 11:15 PM   #107
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Howard
Right now I can say that we'd like to do less DLC but bigger ones. You know, more substantial. We don't know what we're going to make yet, but we'd like them to be closer to an expansion pack feel.
Something that feels like an expansion pack. Here's a radical idea - how about an expansion pack?
Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #108
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Something that feels like an expansion pack. Here's a radical idea - how about an expansion pack?
I don't care what they call it as long as it is not called horse armor expansion pack.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:37 AM   #109
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Dragons talk in this game right? They should do a Sean Connery as Draco DLC.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #110
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Smart questions I had not seen asked before. And why is it that Todd always sound tired in interviews? Working around the clock to deliver the game on the fatidic 11.11.11? At least this time the interviewer sounded as excited as bathroom sink.

It's nice that they're bringing in more than one kind of dragon. Hopefully they don't just look different but have more diverse behavior and skills. Creatures that make you go "oh, a deep green dragon, that's ok, I'll just goad a mudcrab into killing it and make me a trophy out of his head." And "FUUUUUUU, a black dragon! run for you lives! Here's my wife and kids, eat them but spare meeee!"

And now I finally understand how the Radiant System works. It's cool though I fear the VAs will be limited in number again if that happen. IIRC, Todd assured us personally that this won't be happening in Skyrim but I'm not sure. And does it removes the consequence out of your actions? Partially, I'd say. If you kill a would-be quest giver you'd still be murdering somebody, with all its implications.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #111
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Skyrim Fan Interview has finally been posted!

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...n-interview%2F

Touches on some things like the new enchanting system, armors/bodies, separate sex animations (gender-wise pervs ) etc.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #112
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

This caught my eye.

Quote:
7) Will we be able to have relationships with the NPCs, romantic or otherwise?
Bruce: Absolutely! You make friends with people by doing things for them. Friends in the game will treat you differently. Some of them will even agree to go with you into dungeons and on adventures. You can even get married. If you own a house, your spouse will move in with you.
Of course for some unknown reason I read house as horse the first time I saw it.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #113
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
This caught my eye.
Which is particularly uninteresting, IMO. I totally forgot about my wife in Fable once I bought us a house (and the whole process usually takes just 10 minutes anyway).

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #114
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Fable 2 you couldn't forget. They kept spaming the message that your family has a gift for you until you go check on them or kill them.

Agree uninteresting, but the reason it caught my eye was because I misread it.

Last edited by mimartin; 07-08-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #115
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
I'm probably not going to care about it unless my spouse can travel across Skyrim and fight dragons with me.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #116
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Well.. given the marriage thing. I won't be surprised if the first mod (after the initial 120 nude mods) will be getting your wife preggers.. with an actual 9month calendar gestation with pregger body models (nude of course)

Old 07-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #117
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
Well.. given the marriage thing. I won't be surprised if the first mod (after the initial 120 nude mods) will be getting your wife preggers.. with an actual 9month calendar gestation with pregger body models (nude of course)
My little female woodelf better not have to run around with a pregger body for 9 months. Are there heavy armor mods for a pregger body? Would give new meaning to the term Dragonborn. *

* edit by D3:

Last edited by mimartin; 07-08-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #118
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Don't forget the mod to "make" you/ her/ him pregnant; I bet they'll involve a few stats, to make sure the higher your level the easier it'll go to get knocked up x-D

At low levels several attempts must be made! Benifit though is you'll get a level up, because you keep depleting your stamina

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #119
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
^ I'm just under the impression that the higher your level and experience, the harder it is to put a baby on someone's belly, or getting preg yourself. =p

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #120
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
@CtrlAltDel: Wait, wait. Let's adjust that; when your mate is a lower level and yourself is a high level class it should go easy peasy to get your kids. Vica versa ofcourse would be what you discribe; harder to get it done.

Though perhaps with your alchemey skill you could make a potent potion, viagraos temptatous elixer or something like that x-D

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Skyrim: Elder Scrolls 5