lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Duke Nukem Forever this year?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Duke Nukem Forever this year?

Clicky

After years of silence and speculation we've had more concrete signs of an imminent existence in the last few months than the last few years...Here's hoping it's coming this year cause to say this sequel is overdue is probably the understatement of the decade

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Current Game: Pheonix Wright
I doubt that they would release it this year. I wouldn't get your hopes up since they first announced Forever like 8 years ago. So when it gets released it better be one of the best games of all time or they will single handedly doom the franchise. Anyway I would hope for early next year at the earliest since they already did something like this a few times already.

Plus Duke Nukem already lost like 75 percent of its fanbase due to Forever's release date. So they are going to have to do some really good marketing if they want to sell out.

"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Yeah, I don't know about that. It could come out any time from now to 2225.

I'll wait for a 100% official announcement, but I suppose the teaser trailer is a good sign that things are progressing well...unless they decided to scrap the game because it's not "next-gen" enough or some other excuse. Didn't they use a similar excuse in the past?

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace

Current Game: Pheonix Wright
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeiamyourdad
Yeah, I don't know about that. It could come out any time from now to 2225.

I'll wait for a 100% official announcement, but I suppose the teaser trailer is a good sign that things are progressing well...unless they decided to scrap the game because it's not "next-gen" enough or some other excuse. Didn't they use a similar excuse in the past?
They did release screenshots back in like 2002 of the models. But then they got rid of them claiming they were going to overhaul the entire thing.

But the screenshots they released now are actually really good. The models have superb detail (Especially the Duke model).

"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Well, as long as it's released before I cash out........I'm game. Always liked the Duke character. 2 dimensional, yet too funny.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
I saw the teaser some time ago... But they haven't released anything new in a while, so I'm a bit unsure.

If the "production time=Quality" equation is true, DN:F is going to be the greatest game ev@r.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2008, 04:15 AM   #7
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
I cannot wait for one of my fav games to finally get a sequal. DN3D ROCKED!!

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-20-2008, 04:26 AM   #8
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Naah. I'm not holding my breath.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-21-2008, 03:20 AM   #9
Doc Valentine
Ha-Ha Kotor Modding

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Well, there have been numerous rumors before this video that they were going to finish sometime in the "near future". I really do hope it comes out this year. They have promised us this an eon ago and all of us Duke fans really have been tested in the area of patience. I wont be holding my breath either, but still, there is that shred of hope that is left in my heart.

I don't need you no more in this world. I'll meet you in the next one, and don't be late.
Doc Valentine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2008, 12:50 AM   #10
Serpentine Cougar
Veteran

Current Game: Beneath A Steel Sky
Helpful! 
Meh, I never got into Duke Nukem. I don't see what's so cool about him; he looks kinda dorky to me....

Serpentine Cougar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2008, 04:00 AM   #11
JoeDoe 2.0
n - 1

^ Duke Nukem is like a father figure to me

I doubt that it will come out this year, but if it does then I'll surely get it

Last edited by JoeDoe 2.0; 03-23-2008 at 11:58 AM.
JoeDoe 2.0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2008, 04:50 AM   #12
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I'll believe it when I see it.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #13
JediAthos

Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I thought this worth necroing this thread. For all you Duke fans there is some minor but significant news on this front. Game Informer reports that the lawsuits between Take-Two Interactive and 3D Realms regarding Duke Nukem Forever have been settled.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archi...-lawsuits.aspx

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
lol. Yeah, okay. /sarcasm

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #15
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
lol. Yeah, okay. /sarcasm
Wasn't the game originally announced for the Amiga? It's a bit late...

No, seriously, one of the coolest game character ever....maybe it'll be a great reboot....I fear it won't be though

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #16
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Assuming it ever reaches a release (which is still incredibly doubtful after over a decade of promises), it'll suck, simply because no game can ever be worth that much of wait.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #17
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Well, I've not been obsessively waiting for this, so the 10 year thing isn't a real big deal for me. Long as it's entertaining.....

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

Old 06-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #18
Q
The one who knocks

Why can't this damned piece of vaporware just die, already?

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 06-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #19
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Let's put it this way. Whoever holds the rights to Duke Nukem has an amazing power among the masses...even though they've been disappointed time and time again.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #20
JediAthos

Didn't mean to stir up hate and discontent lol...I just thought it was an interesting piece of information.

"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

Old 09-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #21
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
According to Take 2 and Gearbox, Duke Nukem Forever will be released next year on PC, PS3 and 360.

GamingVault Story.

Gamespot Story.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #22
JediAthos

I'm not one of those people who has been eagerly awaiting Duke for years, but with Gearbox taking over the project it has the possibility to be a really good game.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #23
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
I'm not one of those people who has been eagerly awaiting Duke for years, but with Gearbox taking over the project it has the possibility to be a really good game.
Let's hope. I'm not dying for it to come out, but would probably get it if it looks good. Though I'd probably wait till the price came down first. Never was one of those people that had to get something as soon as it came out. Actually, ME2 was probably the first game I ever got so close to its release date.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #24
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Duke...my childhood hero.

One of those games I used to play as a 'little' kid.
Pixelated boobies, brilliant one-liners...if the game doesn't take itself seriously and just goes ahead with the completely over-the-top storyline, it could actually work.

"Your ass, your face...what's the difference?"

Old 09-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #25
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
If it does come out, I'd be willing to get it. I can't believe I played it when I was a toddler....I'd probably keep it away from my kids, if I had any.

"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #26
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Same goes for me. I played Duke back when I was still in elementary school. If it does come out, I'm getting it no matter what and then it'll be, as The Duke would say, "Come, get some!"

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #27
JediAthos

G4's hands on preview impressions from PAX:

What We Know:

Do I really even need to fill out this section? Duke Nukem Forever was in development for nearly 12 years, and then it famously flamed out. It became one of the most famous pieces of vaporware in history. In fact, if defined that term. People thought this would never see the light of day. Disgruntled former employees leaked screenshots, models, footage, and everything but the full source code for the game. This was the story that game developer parents tell their wannabe game developer kids to keep that out of the industry.

What We're Seeing Now:

Well, that's all a thing of the past. Duke Nukem Forever is real, and it's coming from developer Gearbox Software and being published by 2K games. We sat through a brief presentation with Gearbox's Randy Pitchford this morning, where he told us how excited he was to announce this. Gearbox has been doing well financially recently, and they were in a position to save this game.

Even though it was a monumental task to assemble everyone, and he was told it was impossible more than once .. it actually happened. "It was unfinished business," said Pitchford, "We have to see this through." After an over the top trailer (would you expect anything else from Duke?) we got to pick up the controls (it was being shown on Xbox 360s, and possibly a few PCs with Xbox 360 Windows Controllers.

Some highlights from the trailer:

* According to the narrator, Duke had become a hero, but then disappeared. The aliens returned and started tearing the place apart. But then they made one mistake, "They shouldn't have gone after our women."
* Duke, "What, did you think I was gone forever?"
* Duke, on seeing a gigantic, triple breasted demon-spawn creature thing: "Hell, I'd still hit it."
* There are vehicles in the game, including a truck emblazoned with Duke's radiation logo.
* Weapons galore, of course.
* Lots and lots of bare boobs.

We jumped right inside where ... you're looking straight down into a urinal. Pull the right trigger to, well ... piss, and Duke says "It's time to quit pissing around," he says. Level 1 is entitled "Duke Lives," and you start right there at the urinal in the locker room of the Detonators, a professional football team. There's an advance team of soldiers inside, planning out "Operation Cock Block" on a whiteboard, because apparently there's a huge monster outside.

After they finish their attack plan "Which is basically, 'go get him'", you're able to run into the corridor outside, or do a little exploring. I found that you could actually go to the whiteboard and pick up different colored markers to design your own piece of art. Who figured there would be an artistic section to the game? When I finally backed away from the board, one of the soldiers in the room appraised my battle schematic and said "If we had done that, that guy would still have his arm. And at least one of his balls." Nice.

That's about the tone of the entire game, which is exactly what you'd want and expect from this sequel. You head down the hallway with the soldiers, and then ka-blammo, a good chunk of them are taken out by an enormous Cycloid with spinning blade hands outside on the field. Running through the rest of the level, you run through corridors and hallways in the sports facility armed only with your fists. There are a couple of small aliens inside, which you can punch down, or just wait for the remaining soldiers to take them out, and then you'll grab a Devastator from one of them.

Heading out onto the field, it's pouring down rain, and your goal is to take down that Cycloid. It's a fairly easy battle if you keep your distance and watch for the Cycloid's charged ramjet attack. You'll run out of ammo before you can beat him, but a dropship will cycle overhead and drop more as you need it. When you finally fell the big guy, you get to kick his eyeball through the uprights, field goal style. It's good!

Then things take an unexpected left turn. There's a pullback, and you're watching the credits for the game on a bigscreen TV in a bachelor pad. Duke's moans indicate that he's enjoying ... something just below screen. His hand comes up with a Duke Nukem-themed controller in it (the buttons spell out "D U K E," and then two girls' heads appear. "What about the game, Duke? Was it any good?" one of them asks. "Yeah," Duke responds, "But after 12 f*ckin' years, it should be."

We then skipped forward to Level 15: Highway Battle. Duke is tucked into his Truck (which it looks like might be called "Ego'), and you get to drive through a canyon level, hitting A to turbo boost, B to turn tight, and X to flip your vehicle if you land on your side or upside down. You can run down baddies in satisfying splats, although eventually, after a huge jump, you'll run out of gas.

That's when you hop out of the truck, and armed only with a handgun with a laser sight, you take on the tusked, humanoid/pig hybrids. You'll find other weapons in this level. During out brief time, we found a Railgun with a scope, a shotgun with dual grips, the Ripper triple-barreled chaingun, and a shrink ray. Shrinking your enemies down allows you to easily turn them into pulp with your boots, although if you leave them alone, they'll eventually turn back to full-size. Then, before we progressed any further, the demo was over. Sadly.

How does it look? Pretty darn good. It's not going to redefine genres or anything, but it definitely looks like a Triple A title from this generation. It plays equally as well, with traditional FPS controls (although you can hit left on the d-pad to drink a beer, which unfortunately didn't work for us. Maybe you need to find beers first), that felt responsive and satisfying. You're pretty much killing everything possible in this game, which is what we did in the demo, and it feels like a worthy successor to the Duke Nukem legacy.

Especially when you hear Duke quip things like "My balls, your face." Perfect. That's what I want out of this. We'll have more for you soon, so stay tuned. The game doesn't have an official release date yet (surprise!), but Gearbox has confirmed that it will be released sometime in 2011.

source: http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/43893...ew-Yes-Really/

Old 09-04-2010, 12:13 AM   #28
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
So does this actually bear any resemblance to what was in development for the last decade plus, or is it something entirely new Gearbox has come up with?
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2010, 01:36 AM   #29
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
You're all an inspiration for birth control!

It probably will utilise a lot of what 3D Realms has been cooking up for all of these years... I'm liking this news for the fact that all of their efforts aren't going to waste... that and I grew up with Duke Nukem.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #30
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
If this comes out, it will make money whether it's good or not.

The question is, will they respect this preorder?:

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-05-2010, 04:04 AM   #31
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Some interesting info on how the resurrection by Gearbox came about - http://kotaku.com/5630192/how-duke-n...yline=true&s=i

I wasn't previously aware of Pitchford's Duke links, so it makes a lot more sense now.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #32
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
lolz @ me starting this thread 2.5 years ago!

slowly but surely...

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #33
Ztalker

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative Sun View Post
lolz @ me starting this thread 2.5 years ago!

slowly but surely...
I noticed that too...
Makes you wonder...in 12 years...how many dead threads regarding DN:F there are on the Internet.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #34
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Duke Nuke Forever...is really coming now? Like, for real!?

Y.E.S.
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #35
JediAthos

@Liverandbacon...The date on that receipt is 2001. Good luck! lol!

Old 09-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #36
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAthos View Post
@Liverandbacon...The date on that receipt is 2001. Good luck! lol!
Not my preorder. I doubt Gamestop would honor it, but I don't doubt that if the guy mailed it to Gearbox, they'd give him a copy for free. After all, it would be a great PR stunt, and wouldn't cost them much, since I doubt many people still have proof of their preorders.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #37
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
I'll believe it when I see it.

-Toker
Old 09-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #38
JediAthos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
I find your lack of faith...disturbing.

come now my pessimistic friend...the game was playable at PAX...it's coming!

Old 09-11-2010, 12:11 AM   #39
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
ok, this is officially awesome news. Gearbox + DNF = epic win. have to wonder if it will come with the classic box art, too.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #40
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
This is the box art apparently:

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Duke Nukem Forever this year?