lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #41
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Yes that is correct.

A trend I am not too keen on personally.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #42
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Class trailers released:

View page
YouTube Video

View page
YouTube Video

View page
YouTube Video

Looks like lots of heroic dodge rolling to be enjoyed there. Also, stoffe will no doubt be thrilled with the inclusion of giant spiders.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #43
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

I'm going to pick this up Tuesday, I think.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #44
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

I've been playing this and I am through the first chapter or two. This is definitely a labor of love, with very nice environments and that are reflective but not copies of the films and loads of references to obscure Middle-earth lore and characters. The gameplay is basic hack and slash, but if you liked the style of the LOTR movie games you really enjoy this. I think the reviews I've read have been a little harsh, and I am enjoying it quite a bit for what it is.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #45
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Thanks for that Prime - the reviews have kind of scared me away so far, but now I'll probably pick it up eventually. Do the RPG elements work well in it (like upgrading equipment etc.)?

Dak Drexl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #46
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

The RPG elements, such as they are, contain:

Dialog:
There are dialog trees for NPCs you can talk to in various locations. So far I have been to Bree, Rivendell, and the Rangers' camp in the Shire. There are several characters, both familar, canon and not. There are no moral choices or anything like that. In that sense the PCs are pre-defined, which I think is ok considering the universe. From what I have seen so far, it is basically a way to get information about the world and characters, and get quests.

But there is a lot of detailed info about places and people from the Tolkien mythology, which I enjoyed. One moment that I really liked was that you can ask Gandalf why the eagles don't just fly the Ring to Mount Doom, and he basically explains in detail why that idea wouldn't work and is stupid.

Character Progression:
There isn't really much in terms of personal story, but you can progress them in terms of stats, which in turn affects damage potential and things like that. And there are skills that are specific to each character, and cover ranged weapons, melee weapons, and special abilities. They leave a lot of freedom to how you progress them, and you can put multiple points into the same skill to improve it, or spend fewer points in each skill and progress up the tree. As a result you can get completely differently functioning characters, i.e. a Ranger that is totally melee or ranged, or a mix. You can also change their appearance by mixing faces, hair, beards, and so on.

Gear Progression:
There are loads of weapons and armour of all types, with a fairly large set of stats. So far for me some of the armour uses the same model, but I think all the models look great and very LotR-esque. Armour also has various pieces and can be mixed and matched, like shoulder guards, boots, gauntlets, and the like. You can have two-handed weapons, one-handed, shields, and dual wield. There are also gems that can be applied to some items to give them extra abilities. Basically, most of the progression is based on the gear side.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Lord of the Rings: War in the North