lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Packers or Steelers?
Packers! 7 36.84%
Steelers! 5 26.32%
Don't know 1 5.26%
Don't care 3 15.79%
Yoda 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll


Thread: Steelers or Packers
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Steelers or Packers

Who do you favor in the upcoming Super Bowl?


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
JediExile
Rookie
 
JediExile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 79
Current Game: Mass Effect 3
I live in Pittsburgh...kind of biased, but I'll have to go with the Steelers.

I'm glad that the Packers won though, Aaron Rodgers is finally stepping out of Favre's shadow.



Revenge of Revan || Deadly Streams || Follow me on Twitter!


"Hey! You talk to her with a bit of respect in your voice or you'll end this conversation minus a few teeth! Got it?" -Carth Onasi
"Are you an angel? Aw, I'm just kidding. That's the worst line I've ever used. Hope some poor kid doesn't start using it." -Atton Rand


JediExile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
newbiemodder
Gentleman Modder
 
newbiemodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 703
Veteran Modder 
I guess I'll be cheering for the Pack...ah gasp, blasphemy.....but I like the Steelers in a close one.


Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool that follows?

Just exactly what is a head-piece to the Staff of Ra?

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206819

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206541

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...t=newbiemodder
newbiemodder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves
 
stingerhs's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: May 2004
Location: between my ears
Posts: 4,641
Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Steelers ftw!!


See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,047
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediExile View Post
I'm glad that the Packers won though, Aaron Rodgers is finally stepping out of Favre's shadow.
Aaron Rodgers has proven the Green Bay did not make a mistake when they did not resign Brett Favre during his annual retirement drama, but Rodgers is far from being outside Brett Favre’s shadow. If Rodgers was outside Favre’s Shadow people would quit comparing the two every 5 minutes. Let us remember, that Brett Favre holds pretty much every NFL passing record (good and bad), has a Super Bowl ring and took the Packers another. He is also a no doubt Hall of Famer the moment he is eligible. However, Favre was still in the shadow of Bart Starr with Starr’s 5 NFL Championships and 2 Super Bowl titles. Let wait until Rodgers actually wins something before we started talking about Rodgers' shadow.

Going with the hated Steelers, but will not be upset to see the Packers win it. If nothing else it proves beyond all doubt that their management was correct in ending the Favre drama.



Last edited by mimartin; 01-25-2011 at 10:15 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky
 
urluckyday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Beautiful USA
Posts: 2,760
Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Both teams can suck the big one...but the Steelers get the nod for the win and my hopes just because I'm a Vikings fan and I like Mike Tomlin.



If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Pho3nix
#rekt
 
Pho3nix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,370
Forum Veteran 
I'm always rooting for the underdog...

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Added a poll, because the thread needed it.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey
 
Mav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: A House
Posts: 4,043
Current Game: SWTOR
I'll be rooting for my numbers, first and foremost, but after that, I'll root for the Packers because I'd rather Rodger's win a ring after he had to sit behind Favre for years than have Big "Rapist" Ben win another ring. I do like Troy though, so I wont be mad if the Steelers win.


"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-25-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves
 
stingerhs's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: May 2004
Location: between my ears
Posts: 4,641
Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
I'll root for the Packers because I'd rather Rodger's win a ring after he had to sit behind Favre for years than have Big "Rapist" Ben win another ring.
and you believe that because of all the compelling evidence that proves that Ben is a "rapist". oh wait, my bad. there isn't any evidence to support that one.

meanwhile, i am trying to figure out if you fall more into the "Biased" category or the "Bigoted" category...


See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2011, 01:18 AM   #11
Char Ell
Force Enlightened
 
Char Ell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 2,367
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
No real preference on this Super Bowl. After they played such a stellar 1st half I was not impressed with the Steeler's 2nd half performance against the Jets. I doubt the Steelers can pull off the same feat against the Packers.


Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!


Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey
 
Mav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: A House
Posts: 4,043
Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
and you believe that because of all the compelling evidence that proves that Ben is a "rapist". oh wait, my bad. there isn't any evidence to support that one.

meanwhile, i am trying to figure out if you fall more into the "Biased" category or the "Bigoted" category...
No, it was more of an off-the-cuff excuse to pick the Packers over the Steelers in the SB than it was a personal attack on Roethlisberger. Why I would actually give a **** what some athlete does with his weenis in his free time is beyond me. You seem to be much more butthurt about it being mentioned than I anticipated, so... sorry?


"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #13
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective
 
Bob Lion54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the case! Both my minds!
Posts: 2,103
Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Going with the hated Steelers, but will not be upset to see the Packers win it. If nothing else it proves beyond all doubt that their management was correct in ending the Favre drama.
Yea, but in all likelihood, the front office started the drama in the first place. Not that I want to compare Aaron Rodgers to Steve Young just yet, but it was a situation similar to what happened with Montana and Young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
and you believe that because of all the compelling evidence that proves that Ben is a "rapist". oh wait, my bad. there isn't any evidence to support that one.

meanwhile, i am trying to figure out if you fall more into the "Biased" category or the "Bigoted" category...
Well, I for one don't know what happened with that incident. The story changed around so much and there never was any good evidence one way or the other. What I do know is that Roethlisberger has a knack for getting himself in trouble.

Rapist? Don't know. Dumb ass? Definitely.


Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #14
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves
 
stingerhs's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: May 2004
Location: between my ears
Posts: 4,641
Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
well, you people should try debating this stuff with a bunch of 13 yr old know-it-alls and see if you don't get a bit cranky about it.


See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #15
JediAthos
Senior Member
 
JediAthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,438
Current Game: Defiance
Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Having been born and raised in Cleveland, I could never in good conscience pick the Steelers to win anything. That said, for one night only I will be a Packers fan.


"You'll find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

JediAthos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2011, 01:11 AM   #16
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective
 
Bob Lion54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the case! Both my minds!
Posts: 2,103
Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Packers Win!

I'm happy with the outcome. It's good to see the Lombardi Trophy return to Titletown. I'm also glad to see Aaron Rodgers win a Superbowl after all the drama with Favre. It's nice to see him step out of Favre's shadow.

Good job Packers!


Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #17
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey
 
Mav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: A House
Posts: 4,043
Current Game: SWTOR
Yay! I guess, whatever, my gambling didn't come through for me, but it was a good time of drinking and such.


"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #18
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,047
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Yay! I guess, whatever, my gambling didn't come through for me, but it was a good time of drinking and such.
My numbers stunk…

Still had fun and the game was decent. Still don’t understand the decision by the Stealers to try that long field goal. Of course if the Packer receivers could catch then the game would have been a blowout.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #19
Tysyacha
One of Thousands
 
Tysyacha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kirkwall/The Free Marches
Posts: 3,181
Current Game: Dragon Age II
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
The worst performance of the game: Christina Aguilera on the National Anthem Play.
Tysyacha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #20
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
My numbers stunk…

Still had fun and the game was decent. Still don’t understand the decision by the Stealers to try that long field goal. Of course if the Packer receivers could catch then the game would have been a blowout.
Yeah I was actually starting to root for the Packers so that Nelson wouldn't get lynched. How many times did he drop that ball?

That 50+yard attempt had me stunned. Not even close. Heck they may as well have just gone for the 1st down.


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #21
Shem
Master of the Force
 
Shem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 2,899
Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
I got what I wanted since I didn't care who won. A good game!


Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #22
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,047
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysyacha View Post
The worst performance of the game: Christina Aguilera on the National Anthem Play.
Not even close. She was trying too hard and forgot the words. I even read where someone speculated if she needed to attend rehab because she flubbed the lines. If the NFL wants the National Anthem sang word for word on key then hire ask someone other than a pop singer to perform the song. It isn’t the easiest song to sing in the first place and then you add to that it is the largest audience the performer has ever performed in front of you are going to get mess ups because of the pressure and the difficulty.

Now if she would have grabbed her crouch and spit I would be willing to crucify Aguilera , however a simple mess up is no reason to get out the nails. After all to err is human…



Last edited by mimartin; 02-07-2011 at 05:36 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #23
TriggerGod
Senior Member
 
TriggerGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: hiding
Posts: 2,415
Helpful! 
So yeah I heard Fergie singing at the halftime show and I turned off the TV. I had to have a friend tell me when it was safe, and once it was a false alarm because they saw people other than the Black Eyed Peas. Slash was a redeeming part of the game.

Also, Lombardi is coming back home

Show spoiler
TriggerGod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #24
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...
 
jonathan7's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 3,676
Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I thought it was a great game, well worth staying up until 3.30am UK time to watch, ultimately it was the turn-overs for the Packers which won the game I think.



"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #25
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective
 
Bob Lion54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the case! Both my minds!
Posts: 2,103
Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Not even close. She was trying too hard and forgot the words. I even read where someone speculated if she needed to attend rehab because she flubbed the lines. If the NFL wants the National Anthem sang word for word on key then hire ask someone other than a pop singer to perform the song. It isn’t the easiest song to sing in the first place and then you add to that it is the largest audience the performer has ever performed in front of you are going to get mess ups because of the pressure and the difficulty.
Not really. It's the difference between a live performance and a pre-recorded performance. A stadium isn't the best place to sing. The echo and reverberation through the stadium can cause a singer to hear what they sang a second or two ago instead of what they are actually singing. Singers need to be able to hear themselves in real time to make sure they are on key as they sing.

When singers have their own sound system, its set up so they don't have a delay between what they are singing and what they are hearing. That's why they wear the ear pieces you always see them wearing. They are also made to cancel out some of the sound from the crowd and the band around them (when there is a live band) because even though they need to hear the music, they still need to be able to hear themselves really well, and on stage with a live band, its really loud.

Part of the reason a lot of live performances aren't really that great is because of how hard it is to sing well when you can't properly hear yourself. It doesn't matter if you sing Pop, Opera, or anything in between; You need to hear yourself to be on on key. The other option is to ignore trying to be on key and concentrate on the power/emotion of the song. You see this with the Nation Anthem a lot at games because most performers know they simply won't be able to sing properly in that situation, so they just go for the emotion.

I had to turn in up a bit loud, but there was a definite echo during her performance. If I can hear it on youtube, it was a lot louder for her on the field. Again, it's not the difference between a "pop singer" Vs. a "non-pop singer." It's due to singing live in a stadium. Even the best classical/Opera singer could get thrown off in that setting. It's not that she forgot the words, but that she lost her place in the song and it confused her for a moment. You can hear the slight bit of hesitation right before she messed up.

If you want to see what it's like for a live singer in a stadium and how confusing it can be, try this. Go to sound recorder, sing a song you know really well. One you would never forget the lyrics to. Sing it while you record it. Now, sing it again, but play the recorded version one second after you start. Listen to the recording of you singing, but don't sing along with it, sing the song like you normally would, but keep concentrating on the recording.

Seriously, try it. It will mess with you. :P It's not the best test because it's easy to forget to concentrate on the recording and think more about what you're singing or just wind up singing along with the recording, but if you can do it, you'll see just what mind bender it can be. Even the best Opera singers wouldn't be able to do it. Hiring someone other than a pop singer wouldn't solve the problem. They will still struggle to stay on key, perhaps even more so because pop singers often don't worry as much about hitting notes properly and worry more about just putting power and emotion into a song, whereas Opera performers are all about being on key and following the melody. This is even worse singing acapella because if you sing along with music, your voice will naturally try to find the right notes. Without music you're left with only hearing your voice to try to stay on key.

Well, this is turning out to be much more of an essay than I intended... Still, it really comes down to what you would prefer for the Nation Anthem. On one hand there's Whitney Houston's much lauded singing of the National Anthem years back. It was pre-recorded as was the NFL's policy at the time because of what they knew could happen with a live performance. Knowing that, I personally think it losses a bit of the "magic."

On the other hand, you have the "post lip-sync controversy" live performances of the song that usually aren't quite as good due to all that's working against the singer in that situation. Sure, it might not be as pitch perfect, but they usually have a certain energy that's lost in a studio recording. Mistakes can happen, but I personally like it better this way.


Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #26
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,047
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
The reverb did not seem to hurt her in rehearsal.

So you are saying the 111 million US viewers alone had nothing to do with the pressure of the moment causing her to forget the line?

I’m not saying you are wrong, but I personally believe both could be contributing factors.


mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Steelers or Packers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.