lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Is indoctrination of children child abuse?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #41
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Yes, I believe that indoctrination of children is abuse, be it religious indoctrination by parents or conformist indoctrination by the "education" system.

Both are equally destructive.


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2011, 03:51 AM   #42
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?
 
Liverandbacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 651
Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
there's a clear divide between people in this thread;

those who are religious and cling to whichever denomination they've chosen or been chosen for by their parents, and those who see past the bull**** and can actually look at this issue without any (for example) christian bias.

Therefore, I don't think this discussion will lead anywhere, just a bunch of words thrown at each other.
Probably the right conclusion (though that's pretty much the nature of any internet debate).

However, do you seriously not see the irony in criticizing 'bias' when you're dividing the thread between people 'clinging' to beliefs that don't align with yours, and those who 'see past the bull****' (agree with you).

I'm not even saying you're wrong, just saying that everyone should admit that they're biased as **** when it comes to morality. Despite the fact that the philosophy portion of my PPE degree convinced me that there is no objective, universal code of morality, I'm perfectly happy to live by my subjective moral code, and convince/force others to follow it to the best of my ability. I just acknowledge that I'm arrogant, biased, and have no universally acceptable 'right' to do so.



--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2011, 06:18 AM   #43
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dict.com
in·doc·tri·nate 
–verb (used with object), -nat·ed, -nat·ing.
1. to instruct in a doctrine, principle, ideology, etc., especially to imbue with a specific partisan or biased belief or point of view.
2. to teach or inculcate.
3. to imbue with learning.
So, is it any less abusive to teach one's children to look down their noses at people who believe in a god/s......lest they be labled irrational, delusional and/or infantile for entertaining the idea? Atheists are just as likely to engage in indoctrinating their children as religious folks. And as Q points out, schools engage in it all the time to achieve some type of conformity (currently in things like man-made global warming etc....). Fact is, theist or atheist, none of us has cornered the market on knowledge about why we came to be (ie not simply the mechanics of how...ie evolution or "adam's rib"). Since absence of evidence doesn't equal evidence of absence, neither side can claim victory in this battle of ideas.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #44
Samuel Dravis
 
Samuel Dravis's Avatar
 
Status: Moderator
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Bart Lasiter View Post
I'm not suggesting that 'good' indoctrination instills morality x and 'bad' indoctrination instills morality y. What I asked was who decides whether either x or y is harmful to the child given the intensity or method of indoctrination.
Since there's no single overarching moral narrative that people agree to, various incommensurable values obtained from different moral systems can be used to justify different positions. For example, the idea that harm must be minimized could lead some people to say that any actions which may lead to depression are crimes. Others who value autonomy more will be more inclined to allow some harms but not others. This is what in fact happens, with parents being considered competent to raise their children unless they commit some fairly serious violation of our expectations. The fact that no one is capable of winning an argument on this one way or another should surprise no one who has paid any attention to abortion debates before. Approaching a debate from different premises will always lead to different conclusions.

I personally believe that parents are generally capable of raising their children without having anyone interfere. There are certain actions which are unacceptable (like training children to violate the law) but causing psychological trauma through teaching people religion doesn't seem like it is all that harmful given everyone I know who was raised religious-- at least not harmful enough to justify violating everyone's personal liberty wholesale. I experienced that "trauma" myself but anyone who rearranges their belief systems will experience the same thing. This is usually called growing up.

Maybe everyone should be forced to keep believing what they started out with and thus prevent harm that way.


"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #45
Tommycat
║┐║>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
I have found that people who have forced a belief down their child's throat generally tend to have children who believe the opposite of their parents. Where those who have taught and left it open to their child to decide have tended to follow in their parent's footsteps.

As for the threat of eternal damnation, since we're not talking about the validity of claims, I guess we can now go after all those global warming supporting teachers for abuse as well. They teach that if you don't follow the new doctrine of global warming, we'll all die in a global catastrophe. And worse, that they MUST convert everyone to their way, or EVERYONE dies.

If it's just the fear we're talking about as abuse, then any parent who lets their child watch the news channels is now an abusive parent.

And having raised children, I must say that sometimes the only way to end the "Why?" is to keep going to the extreme.

As to the morality... Well different cultures place their morals in different places. For instance, murder while it is wrong in mostly Christian cultures it is not wrong in cultures that do not share our beliefs(honor killings, cannibalism, and even, depending on your position, abortion). Suicide is also another one which is only bad in certain cultures. While in others it was a method of regaining your family's honor(seppuku for example).


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Tommycat; 03-12-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #46
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie
 
VeniVidiVicous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
What if their religion is correct then? Not saying any religion is correct, BUT to them it is.
I'm sure there are a few who totally 100% believe in christianity, the westboro baptist church are the only ones I can think of who fully follow the old testament though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
To the parents the religion is the truth. A failure to teach your kids that playing on the freeway will get them killed would be borderline abusive behavior. Would it be wise to tell your kids never to listen to what a cop tells them?
That's incomparable imo.
You could be a religous (or atheist) parent and still fail to teach your kids not to play on the freeway/tell them to ignore cops.


VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2011, 04:11 AM   #47
Working Class Hero
Rookie
 
Working Class Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf
Since absence of evidence doesn't equal evidence of absence, neither side can claim victory in this battle of ideas.
I got a BIG problem with this statement, one that I've often heard from religious folks.

I can believe that rabbits communicate by sending their thoughts each other by a so-far undiscovered form of communication and will eventually take over human's brains through telepathy, and you can't prove that I'm wrong. But as there's absolutely no ****ing evidence this occurs, you'd be justified in saying that I'm abusing my children by telling them to collect rabbits in the house and help them achieve their ascendancy over the human race.

And yet parents teach their children there's an invisible man watching whom they must do their utmost not to offend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous
I'm sure there are a few who totally 100% believe in christianity, the westboro baptist church are the only ones I can think of who fully follow the old testament though.
The WBC doesn't follow the old testament. They have yet to actually stone any gays.

Last edited by Working Class Hero; 03-13-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: quoted the wrong person....d'oh!!
Working Class Hero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #48
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Working Class Hero View Post
I got a BIG problem with this statement, one that I've often heard from religious folks.

I can believe that rabbits communicate by sending their thoughts each other by a so-far undiscovered form of communication and will eventually take over human's brains through telepathy, and you can't prove that I'm wrong. But as there's absolutely no ****ing evidence this occurs, you'd be justified in saying that I'm abusing my children by telling them to collect rabbits in the house and help them achieve their ascendancy over the human race.

And yet parents teach their children there's an invisible man watching whom they must do their utmost not to offend.
As usual misses the point. Neither side can conclusively prove or disprove the existence of a "God", so all are free to believe whatever they like..... As Tommy and others have pointed out here in various ways, the term "child abuse" is very elastic in scope and not inherently universal.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #49
Working Class Hero
Rookie
 
Working Class Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 216
Yeah, you're correct that nobody can disprove a god's existence per se, but my point was that religion is the only field of study that I can think of where people can believe really crazy **** without any need to have positive proof for their beliefs.

Teaching your children to think without logic or reason seems abusive to me.

Last edited by Working Class Hero; 03-13-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: clarification
Working Class Hero is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #50
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie
 
VeniVidiVicous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Working Class Hero View Post
The WBC doesn't follow the old testament. They have yet to actually stone any gays.
This is true, I suppose none of the practising christians practice it in it's original form, still though you "have" to respect their belief system.


VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2011, 05:11 PM   #51
purifier
Forumite
 
purifier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: DisneyLand
Posts: 720
LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Working Class Hero View Post
Yeah, you're correct that nobody can disprove a god's existence per se, but my point was that religion is the only field of study that I can think of where people can believe really crazy **** without any need to have positive proof for their beliefs.

Teaching your children to think without logic or reason seems abusive to me.


What is so abusive about having faith in something, while living in/on a world of pain and suffering like this? Having a belief in something outside the norm, gives some individuals a ray of hope in their lives who want it. To totally deny them mentally of any religious thoughts or beliefs is just as abusive to me. And besides you may introduce a child to a religious or spiritual belief until adulthood, or until they are able to make decisions on their own, but once a child reaches the ability to think on their own, it doesn't matter what a child's parents has taught them over the years. Because the child eventually picks or makes a choice in what he or she wants to believe in, there are also outside world influence that plays a part in that individuals thoughts as well.

So no one on this planet can really force an individual deep down in their own mind to believe in anything that the individual doesn't want to believe in, as long as that individual has doubts in the back of his/her mind. Not even through verbal threats of hellfire and brimstone. I've seen many individuals here on LF and in real life who have demonstrated perfect examples of this. Some were told by their parents they should believe in this or that concerning their family's religion, but later rebuked those beliefs as soon as they felt they were old enough to separate from their parents and make their own decisions concerning what part of any religion pertained to them.

I never heard anybody say they were abused by their parents mentally, because their parents tryed to teach them about the morals of religion. Of course if they were physically abused by the parent because the child said he/she didn't believe in a god or rebuked the family religion, that is definitly child abuse.

If we are to consider teaching a child about the morals of religion and it's consequences because it's not obeyed as abusive, then we should consider teaching a child about public rules, saftey and laws that are not obeyed and the consequences from it as abusive as well. A influential threat is a threat, whether it's real or unreal, regardless of what it may pertain to.


SITH HAPPENS

Last edited by purifier; 03-13-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #52
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous View Post
....still though you "have" to respect their belief system.
Actually, no, at least not in "free societies". All you "have" to respect is their right to have a belief system, not the beliefs themselves. What you do have to deal with is that they have as much right as you to try to influence how their society operates as you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wch
Yeah, you're correct that nobody can disprove a god's existence per se, but my point was that religion is the only field of study that I can think of where people can believe really crazy **** without any need to have positive proof for their beliefs.
What, you mean like the almost pantheistic "man-made, the polar bears are dying, etc.. global warming" theory? Yeah, stuff like that never happens in "rational society".


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #53
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie
 
VeniVidiVicous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Actually, no, at least not in "free societies". All you "have" to respect is their right to have a belief system, not the beliefs themselves. What you do have to deal with is that they have as much right as you to try to influence how their society operates as you do.
With that logic let me put a theory foward.

If science teachers in schools where told they had to change to content of what they are teaching as to appease to certain religous groups is that respecting their right to a belief system or the belief itself?


VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #54
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
But they're not.

Point?


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2011, 03:19 AM   #55
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous View Post
With that logic let me put a theory foward.

If science teachers in schools where told they had to change to content of what they are teaching as to appease to certain religous groups is that respecting their right to a belief system or the belief itself?
Well, given that the anthropological global warming theory is a current example of that....which "religion" is being appeased? Fact is, it's not a matter of "respecting" a belief system (afterall, people are still allowed to vociferously oppose such moves in a free society) but the democratic process that allowed any such group the upper hand in achieving their goal, which can always be overturned in the end using the same process. In self-proclaimed free societies, I'm not remotely obligated to respect your point of view, just your right to hold it w/o fear of govt persecution.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2011, 06:32 AM   #56
Alexrd
Senior Member
 
Alexrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 2,144
Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
But they're not.

Point?
This post with your avatar is priceless.



Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #57
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie
 
VeniVidiVicous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q
But they're not.

Point?
But they are.

In America for example there have been a few attempts by certain christians
to have science classes changed to teach intelligent design.
I don't keep fully up to date with it since i'm not from the U.S. though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
Well, given that the anthropological global warming theory is a current example of that....which "religion" is being appeased? Fact is, it's not a matter of "respecting" a belief system (afterall, people are still allowed to vociferously oppose such moves in a free society) but the democratic process that allowed any such group the upper hand in achieving their goal, which can always be overturned in the end using the same process. In self-proclaimed free societies, I'm not remotely obligated to respect your point of view, just your right to hold it w/o fear of govt persecution.
The global warming's a tricky one. That's been used (and abused) by everything from conspiracy theorist groups to politicians all using it to their own ends. Personally i'm not worried about it.
So I suppose in nswering your question that those peoples religion are being appeased. If you want to assign the term "religion" to something that a few of them may be fanatical about, I know you probably know this already but I still feel obliged to point out that those people who are into global warming in a big way has nothing to do with a god or gods so it's not really a religion.
At the same time I understand your point they take it seriously and all that.


VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #58
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous View Post
But they are.

In America for example there have been a few attempts by certain christians
to have science classes changed to teach intelligent design.
I don't keep fully up to date with it since i'm not from the U.S. though.



The global warming's a tricky one. That's been used (and abused) by everything from conspiracy theorist groups to politicians all using it to their own ends. Personally i'm not worried about it.
So I suppose in nswering your question that those peoples religion are being appeased. If you want to assign the term "religion" to something that a few of them may be fanatical about, I know you probably know this already but I still feel obliged to point out that those people who are into global warming in a big way has nothing to do with a god or gods so it's not really a religion.
At the same time I understand your point they take it seriously and all that.
Funny thing is, I'm not worried about the other either. Even if you put intelligent design into a science curriculum, you could virtually deal with that approach in one class or less and then concentrate on evolution for the rest of the school year/s. I figure by the time you break for summer, most of the kids will have forgotten it anyway. Those that hew strongly to "God did it" likely aren't necessarily interested in the how part anyway. Hell, you could probably dispense with the intelligent design in the first few minutes of the first class for that matter. Evolution is not an inherently secular concept and thus not incompatible with a god-centered belief system in principle. For instance, the Catholic Church isn't opposed to evolution as an explanation for how life developed on earth/in the universe. It does believe that God is the prime mover behind such phenomenon, but atheists have no proof either that we just sprung, essentially, out of nowhere. I figure that as long as science class is used to explain our understanding of how life developed...and stays away from the more controversial "where did it all come from?"....it's no real big deal.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #59
mur'phon
Whale eating vegetarian
 
mur'phon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southier than thou
Posts: 1,537
Forum Veteran 
Come on Tot, I know you aren't a fan of climate change, but unlike a religious belief it's something that (at least in principle) can be disproven. You know the drill, theory gets made, people try to disprove it (as science can never prove), theory is modified/replaced by a new one, people try to disprove it etc. This is somewhat different from a religious belief which by default can't be disproven.


Checking out seems not to do much.
mur'phon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #60
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous View Post
But they are.

In America for example there have been a few attempts by certain christians
to have science classes changed to teach intelligent design.
I don't keep fully up to date with it since i'm not from the U.S. though.
Attempting != succeeding, and they did not succeed.

So, no, they're not. Red herring.


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #61
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mur'phon View Post
Come on Tot, I know you aren't a fan of climate change, but unlike a religious belief it's something that (at least in principle) can be disproven. You know the drill, theory gets made, people try to disprove it (as science can never prove), theory is modified/replaced by a new one, people try to disprove it etc. This is somewhat different from a religious belief which by default can't be disproven.
Problem, murph, is that it isn't often presented as a theory but drilled into kids like any other form of indoctrination. If AGW were merely presented as a theory and not a forgone conclusion, you might have a stronger point. Even evolution is presented as fact, not theory. Science can often be as doctrinaire as religion......until the doctrines/dogmas change at some later date. But before you (or anyone) says I'm vs evolution.....I'm not. It's currently the best theory we have to explain how we came to be.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #62
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie
 
VeniVidiVicous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
I figure that as long as science class is used to explain our understanding of how life developed...and stays away from the more controversial "where did it all come from?"....it's no real big deal.
I can agree to that actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q
Attempting != succeeding, and they did not succeed.

So, no, they're not. Red herring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a Dictionary
atĚtempt (-tmpt)
tr.v. atĚtemptĚed, atĚtemptĚing, atĚtempts
1. To try to perform, make, or achieve: attempted to read the novel in one sitting; attempted a difficult dive.
2. Archaic To tempt.
3. Archaic To attack with the intention of subduing.
n.
1. An effort or a try.
2. An attack; an assault: an attempt on someone's life.
Attempting to do something is not the same as succeeding in doing something there is a difference.

Why don't you go lick a herring or something?


VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #63
purifier
Forumite
 
purifier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: DisneyLand
Posts: 720
LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mur'phon View Post
This is somewhat different from a religious belief which by default can't be disproven.

Not according to Al Gore, he believes Global Warming is "An Inconvenient Truth" to us nonbelievers. And makes threats or puts out fears of impending DOOM if we all don't change our polluting/sinful ways.

I have yet to see anyone disprove or convince Al Gore and his followers that Global Warming is not real. As long as they believe in it, it is real to them. So there is nothing you can say or do that would sway them from their beliefs, kinda like religion.


SITH HAPPENS
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #64
Tommycat
║┐║>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Honestly the Global Warming alarmists can be a religion. A religion does not require there to be a god/supreme being(s). In fact some sects of Wicca do not have a god(per se.. as in they worship nature itself). But they are a religion none the less.

I was trying to move the argument away from the factuality of religions. More leaning towards finding the trigger that one would find to call it abusive to teach without evidence that the person is somehow completely wrong. Nobody can truly know whether any religion is right or wrong. So the firm belief that teaching it or instilling the fears of what may come after cannot be called abuse. The examples of the freeway were from the standpoint that IF the afterlife DOES exist and IS how their religious doctrine specifies it, it may be in fact harmful NOT to teach them the consequences of their actions.

With teaching religion or any number of widely held beliefs(such as AGW), it should not be considered abuse unless it crosses well defined lines. For instance, teaching a kid to stay away from playing on the freeway(something we can pretty well all accept as something they shouldn't do) with a lead pipe is abuse. Telling them they could end up broken paralyzed or even dead in many painful ways, I don't see as abusive. Anyone who's raised kids would recognize that sometimes kids just won't listen unless you tell them a consequence that hits home.

And honestly if we're going to say that teaching kids about something that is(as far as we know) non-existant is abuse, then there's a whole bunch of stuff that parents would not be allowed to teach their kids about...


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #65
Q
The one who knocks
 
Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: ABQ
Posts: 6,643
Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous View Post
Attempting to do something is not the same as succeeding in doing something there is a difference.
Um, duh? "!=" means "does not equal".
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous
Why don't you go lick a herring or something?
Why don't you grow up?


"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #66
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie
 
VeniVidiVicous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
"!=" means "does not equal".
Well I didn't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
Why don't you grow up?
Why don't you get a sense of humour?


VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #67
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck
 
Qui-Gon Glenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Thessia
Posts: 1,464
Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
^^^ Why don't you recognize that Kavar's is a "place for serious discussion", VVV?

A Google search could have illuminated the abbreviation for "!=" == "does not equal".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat"
I was trying to move the argument away from the factuality of religions. More leaning towards finding the trigger that one would find to call it abusive to teach without evidence that the person is somehow completely wrong. Nobody can truly know whether any religion is right or wrong. So the firm belief that teaching it or instilling the fears of what may come after cannot be called abuse.
Your first premise is sound. There can be no facts regarding religion, it is an unjustified belief. Your conclusion does not follow from your premise in the least, it actually is a bit absurd, IMO. Your choice of the words "firm belief that teaching..." is a nice qualifier that does provide you some safety, but it also means to me that you don't really have a strong argument.

Say, for example, I believe the sun will rise tomorrow. However, I also want my child to understand that for the sun to rise tomorrow, he will have to behave in a certain way, or the sun will not rise! By inductive reasoning we all conclude (and have a "firm belief") that the sun will rise tomorrow, and we have witnessed that the sun rises every day of our lives. It is not necessary that this be the case, however, it is a somewhat justified, but not completely, belief, that could be wrong at any time. It would be awfully scary to a child to think that the fate of the world hinged on their behavior. Abusive, really. This is an extreme, perhaps absurd example, but it is analogous.

That the sun rises the next day despite the child's behavior, good or bad, can potentially send a mixed message. If the child is headstrong and says screw you Dad, I will behave how I want and the sun can go to hell.... it still rises! Now you have a rebel with a cause.... created by a parent placing a silly belief in a child's mind.


Want to play a game of ME3MP?
Qui-Gon_Glenn on the software of which we shall not name.... add me and the enemy shall fall in chunks of crimson salsa
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2011, 01:29 AM   #68
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by QGG
That the sun rises the next day despite the child's behavior, good or bad, can potentially send a mixed message. If the child is headstrong and says screw you Dad, I will behave how I want and the sun can go to hell.... it still rises! Now you have a rebel with a cause.... created by a parent placing a silly belief in a child's mind.
---now only if it were that easy to prove/disprove the existence of "God".


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #69
Tommycat
║┐║>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Glenn View Post
Your first premise is sound. There can be no facts regarding religion, it is an unjustified belief. Your conclusion does not follow from your premise in the least, it actually is a bit absurd, IMO. Your choice of the words "firm belief that teaching..." is a nice qualifier that does provide you some safety, but it also means to me that you don't really have a strong argument.

Say, for example, I believe the sun will rise tomorrow. However, I also want my child to understand that for the sun to rise tomorrow, he will have to behave in a certain way, or the sun will not rise! By inductive reasoning we all conclude (and have a "firm belief") that the sun will rise tomorrow, and we have witnessed that the sun rises every day of our lives. It is not necessary that this be the case, however, it is a somewhat justified, but not completely, belief, that could be wrong at any time. It would be awfully scary to a child to think that the fate of the world hinged on their behavior. Abusive, really. This is an extreme, perhaps absurd example, but it is analogous.

That the sun rises the next day despite the child's behavior, good or bad, can potentially send a mixed message. If the child is headstrong and says screw you Dad, I will behave how I want and the sun can go to hell.... it still rises! Now you have a rebel with a cause.... created by a parent placing a silly belief in a child's mind.
The problem is that there can not be a proof/disproof of the factuality of an afterlife. Since we cannot prove there is no afterlife, we cannot say that whatever extreme a religion concocts for the afterlife is real or not. Your example is flawed because of your use of something visible and tangible(sorta), with results that can be seen and verified, is not analogous to the teaching of something that may or may not be true(even if the likelihood is that it isn't).

Lets use something that should hit more home, rather than Christian as the example. According to most books in the series, Dark Side Force users cannot become force ghosts(I know... some exceptions... Just follow with me). Following the path of the light side you can learn a technique that allows you to live on beyond your life, or become one with the force. The portion that cannot be verified would be what happens to dark siders. IF the expected end for darksiders is that their spirit would be in pain and suffer rather than the peaceful Light Siders, would it not be in the best interest of the students(padawans) to warn them of that danger?

Whoops... bad example... Fear is an emotion of the dark side...


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Tommycat; 03-15-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #70
Wookiee Rrudolf
Rookie
 
Wookiee Rrudolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kashyyyk
Posts: 103
Current Game: Two Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Lets use something that should hit more home, rather than Christian as the example. (...) Following the path of the light side you can learn a technique that allows you to live on beyond your life (...) IF the expected end for darksiders is that their spirit would be in pain and suffer rather than the peaceful Light Siders, would it not be in the best interest of the students(padawans) to warn them of that danger?
Come on! That's exactly Christian doctrine! Good people (following the rules of religion) go to heaven, evil ones (the rest) suffer in hell.

Another example in the same spirit.
Invisible Pink Unicorn showed herself to me in my dream and said that Christianity is a false and evil* religion. Everyone should convert to Invisible Pink Unicornism or suffer the consequences: bad children will get eaten by their teddy bears and reincarnated as platypuses (who'd want that?!) so they could convert later without their parents' biases. Adults will get stick on the IPU's horn and suffer for eternity.
I think that it's in everyone's best interest to convert right now! And start teaching children about it in schools.
That is of course unless you can PROVE that there are no unicorns. Because it's not my role to prove existence of IPU Anyone who don't agree with me should first prove that what I wrote is false (starting with IPU showing in my dream).

*I really think Christianity is evil, but most followers think otherwise because they never read the Bible. These people tend to think that Islam is evil, but they don't see that it has almost the same rules.


"And then it was a ship full of slaver scum against one Wookiee...
...What chance did they have?"
- Tvrrdko about Chewbacca
Wookiee Rrudolf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #71
Tommycat
║┐║>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee Rrudolf View Post
Come on! That's exactly Christian doctrine! Good people (following the rules of religion) go to heaven, evil ones (the rest) suffer in hell.

Another example in the same spirit.
Invisible Pink Unicorn showed herself to me in my dream and said that Christianity is a false and evil* religion. Everyone should convert to Invisible Pink Unicornism or suffer the consequences: bad children will get eaten by their teddy bears and reincarnated as platypuses (who'd want that?!) so they could convert later without their parents' biases. Adults will get stick on the IPU's horn and suffer for eternity.
I think that it's in everyone's best interest to convert right now! And start teaching children about it in schools.
That is of course unless you can PROVE that there are no unicorns. Because it's not my role to prove existence of IPU Anyone who don't agree with me should first prove that what I wrote is false (starting with IPU showing in my dream).

*I really think Christianity is evil, but most followers think otherwise because they never read the Bible. These people tend to think that Islam is evil, but they don't see that it has almost the same rules.
The point of it is not whether the religion is true or false. I could call it "Monkey toed man-god" religion. What I'm talking about is post life consequences. Something that nobody has been able to verify the existence of. Many who have had "Near Death Experiences" CLAIM that they felt something, but there are many explanations for why they may have felt that. Many religions have similar rules. Even Native American religions have similar rules to Christianity.

Simplified rules of a religion:
Don't Kill(at least not the faithful)
Don't steal
Don't be a jerk.
Simplified consequences:
You get sent to a bad place
Simplified benefit:
You get to live on in a happy place.

That's pretty well most religions. It also tends to pretty well coincide with our legal system. The bad place is prison, the good place is anywhere, BUT prison. The difference is that with religion, there would be no "getting away with it" because the omnipotent/omnipresent being(s) is(are) watching you.


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #72
Det. Bart Lasiter
obama.png
 
Det. Bart Lasiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: `(Ľ.░)~
Posts: 7,997
Current Game: all
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Glenn View Post
A Google search could have illuminated the abbreviation for "!=" == "does not equal".
and that "==" != "="/":=" as the former implies xnor and not assignment



"No, Mama. You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty whoever put that hit on you already got the cops in their back pocket." ~Black Dynamite
Det. Bart Lasiter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #73
Tommycat
║┐║>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Actually, a Google search would yield neither revelation. Since the mathematical operators confuse the database back end, you get no results.

However you COULD go to the urban dictionary and get that answer, and that == is the correct usage for equals... or rather is equal to anything in the range... Programming... ugh...


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Tommycat; 03-15-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #74
Wookiee Rrudolf
Rookie
 
Wookiee Rrudolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kashyyyk
Posts: 103
Current Game: Two Worlds
Yes, the simplified rules are OK (except for the brackets in first one). They are also known as common sense and propriety. The problem is with the 'advanced rules' which mostly concern absurd rituals and denial of the basic ones for everyone different than followers of said religion (like "Don't kill" and "Stone the unfaithful" or even "Stone the faithful if he's gay").
Is it really worth... well worth what? The fear that punishment will be inevitable? There is a conviction in society that there is no perfect crime and sooner or later any criminal will be caught. Besides what is the difference between prison and hell? Infinity. Why do we people release prisoners and not hold them for ever (until death or just kill for any crime) like God in hell? Because prison is not only punishment but also place of reclamation, changing prisoners attitude to make them useful to society (at least in it ought to). Religions don't care about reclamation, if you don't follow the rules you'll suffer for ever, and ever, and ever and even longer without hope for second chance (maybe with exception of Hindu, you'll just get bad karma and will suffer one more life).
And since any religion is just as good as any other which should be thought to children and why?


"And then it was a ship full of slaver scum against one Wookiee...
...What chance did they have?"
- Tvrrdko about Chewbacca
Wookiee Rrudolf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #75
Tommycat
║┐║>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee Rrudolf View Post
Yes, the simplified rules are OK (except for the brackets in first one). They are also known as common sense and propriety. The problem is with the 'advanced rules' which mostly concern absurd rituals and denial of the basic ones for everyone different than followers of said religion (like "Don't kill" and "Stone the unfaithful" or even "Stone the faithful if he's gay").
Is it really worth... well worth what? The fear that punishment will be inevitable? There is a conviction in society that there is no perfect crime and sooner or later any criminal will be caught. Besides what is the difference between prison and hell? Infinity. Why do we people release prisoners and not hold them for ever (until death or just kill for any crime) like God in hell? Because prison is not only punishment but also place of reclamation, changing prisoners attitude to make them useful to society (at least in it ought to). Religions don't care about reclamation, if you don't follow the rules you'll suffer for ever, and ever, and ever and even longer without hope for second chance (maybe with exception of Hindu, you'll just get bad karma and will suffer one more life).
And since any religion is just as good as any other which should be thought to children and why?
Actually many religions aside from Christianity allow for the ones sentenced to "hell" to embrace the good ways and go to "heaven" post life.

As for which religion: I'm not picking any. They all have their merits, and their flaws(see my earlier post about believing they are all in some way wrong). But that's my point. I cannot choose which religion is right to teach a child, if you even teach them at all(again, note how I have REPEATEDLY said, I'm not claiming any religion is right). Religion is the parent's choice, as is morality they wish to impart on their children(obviously so long as it does not interfere with others' rights to freedom of religion, and not violating any local laws).


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #76
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,254
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
@ OP: While I see what you're getting at I'm going to say "it depends". Where something like sexual abuse can't EVER be good, religiousness needn't always be bad though it has been pointed out by others here that the level of religiosity varies.

If you mean indoctrination as in the extreme detriment (which you seem to be going for), then obviously this is of great disservice to the child presently and in the future and I'll agree in these specific cases it's abusive; conversely if it is not to extreme detriment and no appreciable harm is done, then it isn't really abuse.

Just my thoughts.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #77
Tysyacha
One of Thousands
 
Tysyacha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kirkwall/The Free Marches
Posts: 3,181
Current Game: Dragon Age II
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I can only speak for myself here, but I cannot begin to count the ways in which religious indoctrination has harmed me. As a very young child, I was spanked. Even though the spankings didn't really hurt physically, they made me think that I was a bad little girl and Mommy and Daddy didn't love me when I did bad things. They only loved me when I did good things.

So I believed, and internalized, almost as soon as I could talk.

Enter the preacher, and a Sunday School teacher who tried to bring the concept of Hell down to the level of us kids: "It's like an eternal spanking."

You cannot imagine how that terrified me. I wanted to avoid Hell at all costs, and that left me incredibly vulnerable to the doctrine that I would lose my eternal salvation if I kept doing bad things after asking Jesus into my heart.

I believed it, wholeheartedly, and tried never to sin. Naturally, I failed.

As for (Christ's) forgiveness, that was entirely dependent upon whether you kept repenting and repenting after each sin. I even went through a phase where I thought getting bad grades and doing math problems wrong were sins. If I were truly living a Christian life, I wouldn't be doing so badly in either Math or P.E. I'd understand them better, and perform better despite my disability. Every time I failed to please someone or obey them, I believed that was a sin. Sexual thoughts? Sins. Having silly crushes on guys? Sins. Thinking about committing a sin was exactly the same as committing it.

There was no escape, especially in my mind. I tried to suppress my sinful emotions (anger, lust, wanting revenge, competitiveness) while always trying to display the positive ones (love, kindness, not burdening other people).

Eventually, my "sinful emotions" got too hard to handle and I tried to commit suicide. I barely ate, slept, and went out in subzero weather. For 9 days.

Straight.

I tried to deny myself utterly, even unto death, so I'd finally be like Jesus.

Another case in point: I'm itching to buy this one computer game, even though I know it's not in my budget and probably won't be for a while. I feel so guilty because a) I want to buy that game and I know I'm not supposed to want it and b) if I were a good person, I'd immediately scoff and not give the purchase another thought. It's a computer game, for crying out loud, and yet it's got me all tied up in knots. The threat of Hell-hell is abstract, but disobeying my budget rules and "catching all hell" for it? That I understand.

I feel like I'd be sinning if I bought that game, because God wouldn't want me to. THAT is the kind of messed-up, psychotic, completely irrational fear and guilt that religious indoctrination has instilled in me. Now you know why going to church makes me feel sick to my stomach and I even cringe when I hear certain people say Jesus' name. I find it harder than climbing Mount Everest, trying to get rid of all this guilt, fear and shame. It's almost impossible.

If I ever have children, I'll let them decide whether they want to go to any kind of church or not, but I will NEVER force them to go. I don't want them to go through the same kind of living hell I'm going through due to religion.
Tysyacha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #78
Tommycat
║┐║>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,577
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
No offense, Tysyacha, but it seems more like you had a fairly normal childhood, but created your own mental problems. Quite frankly I know many people who have had worse than you have described, and were not emotionally scarred by it. Perhaps there's something I'm missing. And if there really is some emotional scarring, I apologize, but it sounds more like you are affected by sources outside the religion. Of course, I'm no mental health professional though, but it doesn't seem that the religious side was as much the problem as possibly another source.


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2011, 12:29 AM   #79
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,912
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous View Post
Peace? You do realise that there have been many wars started in the past over which religion was praising God the right way right?
When you say positive moral values which bible are you referring to? If (for example) you think what the old testament was proposing was good moral values then i'd strongly disagree. But I keep forgetting that the church can review their "Papal infallibility" and change their views to keep up with society whenever it suits them.

@ Topic: Yes, it is child abuse. If you're religious the decent thing to do would be to not poison your childs mind.
Yes, yes, and Mao and Stalin killed more in the name of their 'infallible Communism and atheism' than all other religious wars combined. I don't buy that argument about religious wars one bit.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #80
Tysyacha
One of Thousands
 
Tysyacha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kirkwall/The Free Marches
Posts: 3,181
Current Game: Dragon Age II
Forum Veteran Roleplayer Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Tommycat,

You're right. I do have mental health issues, and probably have had them since I was a child (although it wasn't cool to have them diagnosed early--or at all--in the 1980's). However, religious indoctrination didn't ameliorate these problems. It exacerbated them.
Tysyacha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Hot Topics > Is indoctrination of children child abuse?

Tags
abuse, child, god, religion

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:26 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.