lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Hardware vs Software Rendering - any visual differences?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
Deusfaux
Lurker

Hardware vs Software Rendering - any visual differences?

I was having a lot of trouble getting this game to work with hardware rendering enabled in the options (it just locks and kicks me to Win XP desktop)

but then I considered the possibility this is one of those early games which only used hardware rendering to speed up rendering, not enable any visual effects or improve the look of the game in any way.

Is this the case with Grim Fandango? Cuz it already runs like butter on software, and I could relax knowing I'm not missing out on anything if all hardware did was speed it up back in the day.
Deusfaux is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Tall Guy
Est. 1985

you're not missing much, it just smooths the edges of the characters and other objects that you can interact with. the backgrounds are all pre rendered so they don't look any different

Tall Guy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
Deusfaux
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Guy View Post
you're not missing much, it just smooths the edges of the characters and other objects that you can interact with. the backgrounds are all pre rendered so they don't look any different
you're sure that's all it does?

and in that case, the AA you speak of would be controlled by the GPU drivers, right?

It's not some kind of AA coded into the game.
Deusfaux is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Tall Guy
Est. 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusfaux View Post
you're sure that's all it does?

and in that case, the AA you speak of would be controlled by the GPU drivers, right?

It's not some kind of AA coded into the game.
yes, the characters get rendered a little more smoothly but everything else is the same.

Tall Guy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
Running hardware acceleration also results in the textures on characters/objects looking much smoother, whereas in software mode they're distinctly pixellated. On a grand scale the difference between the two modes is definitely minimal.

It's incredibly rare for hardware acceleration to work at all on newer machines, and getting anti-aliasing to work post-Vista is pretty much unheard of.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Grim Fandango Discussion > General Forums > Glottis' Garage > Hardware vs Software Rendering - any visual differences?