lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: LucasArts hires back dude who worked on Republic Commando
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #41
Boba Rhett
I Slay Dragons

Current Game: Scrolling Eldery
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! 
Could be?
Boba Rhett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #42
Sithspecter
Big things are coming...

Current Game: Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
Podracing Lego Republic Commando Clones Unleashed.
^This.

Sithspecter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #43
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: X-Wing Podracing Lego of the Old Republic Commando Battlefront Clones Unleashed
Fixed.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #44
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Quote:
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces V: X-Wing of the Old Republic Commando ---- Podracing Clones Unleashed ---- Lego Battlefront
Fixed.
Fixed into 3 projects of varying quality. Good tier, Bad tier, and Your Mileage May Vary/Haven't Played It tier. **Edit: Obviously these tiers are based on completely subjective opinions, since there's no way to objectively rate games. If you disagree with me, your opinion has just as much value as mine (little to none). I have no intention of writing a ton of words explaining why I did or didn't enjoy these games.**

The good one will be announced, cause joy, and then be canceled to redirect dev funds to the bad tier game. Everyone involved in its creation will be fired.

The bad one will be released, and will make a decent (though not amazing) profit. Everyone involved in its creation will be fired.

The YMMV/Haven't played tier one might make it out the door, if developed outside Lucasarts. It will most likely sell well. Anyone involved in its creation who works at Lucasarts, not an external dev, will be fired.

Lucasarts will have another bad year, and get another new President. A brief spark of hope will be lit. Some dare to think that this time things will be different. But the more jaded among us know that Lucasarts getting a new President is like an abusive alcoholic spouse getting a new favorite drink. Their breath might smell different, but they're still going to hurt you.

The new President then announces the novel Human Resource Position Essentiality Examination Series, or HuRPEES, a brilliant series of limited restructuring events with the aim of a large scale reduction in force. This curtailment and rationalization of the workforce will give alternate career exploration opportunities to many employees, by dramatically decreasing position-redundant resources. At the end of the day, this reorganization of working staff will allow Lucasarts to leverage its core competencies and develop positive synergies, resulting in a shift towards a new, value-added, corporate paradigm, with a focus on low-hanging fruit solutions offering prime demographic consumer appeal, at the cost of a minor decrease in long-term consumer retention. In other words, HuRPEES is a win-win, getting everyone at Lucasarts on the same page, thinking out of the box, in order to achieve profitable, customer-centric solutions and increase visibility in the social media era.

Rinse and repeat.

Hit And Run Poster Extraordinaire
--Too Dumb to Quit--

Last edited by Liverandbacon; 04-05-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: explaining that opinions on games are completely subjective...
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #45
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
How is Podracing and Unleashed a bad tier? Both games were fairly well received. Specially the first.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #46
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
But the more jaded among us know that Lucasarts getting a new President is like an abusive alcoholic spouse getting a new favorite drink. Their breath might smell different, but they're still going to hurt you.
My New Sig lol

adamqd is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #47
Primogen

Current Game: The Witcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
How is Podracing and Unleashed a bad tier? Both games were fairly well received. Specially the first.
I won't speak to Racer, because I didn't play it.

But just because something is well received doesn't make it good, it just makes it popular. Lots of things are popular. Like plot-less lightsaber duels, samey Brown cover-based shooters, and breast implants. That doesn't make them a good idea. In fact, they're all pretty much terrible. I refuse to judge the quality of something by how much money it made.

The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #48
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primogen View Post
But just because something is well received doesn't make it good, it just makes it popular. Lots of things are popular. Like plot-less lightsaber duels, samey Brown cover-based shooters, and breast implants. That doesn't make them a good idea. In fact, they're all pretty much terrible. I refuse to judge the quality of something by how much money it made.
I'm not talking about money, Mr.

But what makes something good, then?

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #49
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
I'm not talking about money, Mr.

But what makes something good, then?
Whether the person currently judging its worth likes it or not determines whether they think it's good. There is absolutely no entirely objective way to declare a game good or bad. Different people will like, or not like, different things.

I feel like I've helped things a bit off topic with this, and for that I apologize.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Old 04-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #50
Primogen

Liver is quite correct. That said, the Prequel Trilogy is objectively bad.

Anyway, yeah, LucasArts hiring a guy who worked on Republic Commando. So, uh...how about that Republic Commando?

Old 04-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #51
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Imperial Commando ftw!

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #52
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
Imperial Commando ftw!
Actually I have to agree. I would much rather have an Imperial Commando game than another one based off of clones.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #53
Primogen

Odds are good Imperial Commando would be about Clones.

I'd like to see an Emperor's Hand game, personally. Preferably about Mara Jade. *Shifty*

Old 04-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #54
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
^^^If you have the second Dark Forces game Jedi Knight, there is an expansion "Mysteries of the sith". If I am not mistaken it is where you get to play as Mara Jade--though this is after turning away from palpatine... I don't feel like looking it up right now so if anyone has corrections then please do, by all means. Inform us--it is for our new LF friend Primogen's benefit.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #55
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Yes you play as Mara Jade in MOTS.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #56
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
If we're lucky we'll get a Pazaak MMO

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #57
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I'd love a straight up stormtrooper game.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #58
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
All these hopes and dreams and LucasArts hasn't even announced anything yet... I mean, we keep on saying the same things every time this sort of news comes around... "I hope for this, I hope for that"... if I have to say "I want a Podracer game and a new X-Wing" again in one of these threads and then have LA say "lolno" later on by firing more staff, I'm gonna... meh, whatever I don't care, I have other vidya to play.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #59
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
We do it because we care. <3

and are all masochists

Old 04-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #60
Brotherhood
Rookie

Current Game: Starcraft2(DOMINATES
Imperial commando

Dont get to excited it been ages since the last republic commando -- but that game was awsome if the new game is really being made-- MINE
Brotherhood is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #61
Primogen

Yeah, I know about Mysteries of the Sith, but it's not Mara Jade: Emperor's Hand, it's Mara Jade: Jedi Knight.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #62
Ztalker
Saving the world casually

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
All these hopes and dreams and LucasArts hasn't even announced anything yet... I mean, we keep on saying the same things every time this sort of news comes around... "I hope for this, I hope for that"... if I have to say "I want a Podracer game and a new X-Wing" again in one of these threads and then have LA say "lolno" later on by firing more staff, I'm gonna... meh, whatever I don't care, I have other vidya to play.
It's the nature of the Lucasarts fan. We're like the Arsenal supporters of gaming. We see a company with massive potential that let's us down every time

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #63
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I'd love a straight up stormtrooper game.
What I'd be curious to see is if LA would try to get some controversy $$$ by putting in something along the lines of a 'kill the political protestors and make it look like a rebel attack' or 'assassinate the alien civil rights leader' bit.

On one hand, I think that sort of thing always ends up being completely tasteless (for example the airport bit of MW2), and I don't know if it's even possible to not be. On the other hand, it wouldn't make much sense if the soldiers of a brutal, repressive regime never did anything brutal or repressive in game. Also LA doesn't seem likely to make a high-budget game very soon, let alone one with the ESRB rating more controversial content would likely entail.

I still hope for LA to make certain games, but I don't let it bother me that they don't. As Lynk said, there's plenty of other games to play (already too many for me to play all the ones I"m interested in), and plenty of non-video game things to do as well.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Old 04-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #64
Primogen

Which is funny. Apparently no one told that the Rating M was for Money.

But anyway, the Airport bit in MW2 was tasteless because it was completely pointless. In ImpCommando, assuming they had the stones to actually do this kind of thing, it would most likely have more of a point than just 'Yeah, you do this to drum up controversy and then you get shot, we didn't really need this to be playable at all.'

But frankly, what I'd like to see is Rebel Operative. Go for sort of a cross between Dark Forces, Hitman, and Red Faction Guerrilla. It -could- be awesome. Thus, it'll never happen.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #65
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
The Airport scene in MW2 wasn't pointless. You were being put into the shoes of an undercover operative who had to do terrible things for what is justified as the greater good...

But anyway, as for LA going for controversial content... why does anyone really need to insert controversial content into their games for it to be a good game that people willl buy? Hell, the games don't even need to be high budget to begin with... there's way too much emphasis put on high budget gritty games when all you need is something fun.

That is why we play games right? (Unless you're one of those types that likes a snifter of port and a selection of fine cheeses while they play vidya)

Old 04-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #66
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I don't see what would be so controversial about playing as a Stormtrooper.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #67
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
That is why we play games right?
Really, I thought we played games so we can bitch and moan about them on an internet forum.

Games can be fun, who knew?
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #68
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Old 04-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #69
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
The Airport scene in MW2 wasn't pointless. You were being put into the shoes of an undercover operative who had to do terrible things for what is justified as the greater good...
Also led to him/the US being pegged as responsible for the massacre... leading to the whole war thing, so yeah it was fairly important and not pointless.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Old 04-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #70
Primogen

Yeah, that's what we in the snark biz call BS. Come on. Russia finds a dead guy at the scene of a massacre, somehow discerns he's an American agent, and their response is 'Well, OBVIOUSLY the United States did this because I mean, they obviously stand to gain a ton by butchering a couple dozen Russian civilians, so let's just invade them.' In a word - what? That makes -no- logical sense. It was just a cheap plot device.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #71
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:

But anyway, as for LA going for controversial content... why does anyone really need to insert controversial content into their games for it to be a good game that people willl buy? Hell, the games don't even need to be high budget to begin with... there's way too much emphasis put on high budget gritty games when all you need is something fun.

That is why we play games right? (Unless you're one of those types that likes a snifter of port and a selection of fine cheeses while they play vidya)
Well you see I think games are art and need to have a deep emotional impact with a serious social message in order for the medium to really gain the respect it.... oh god I can't say any more without vomiting.

I'm very much a fun-centric gamer, though of course what's needed for fun can vary depending on genre; if I'm playing an FPS with a good story but terrible shooting, it's not going to hold my interest. I actually stayed pretty boring in my post, not saying if LA should or shouldn't put in controversial bits. I simply said that it would be interesting to see if they decided to (their desire for easy extra publicity and $$$ vs. their aversion to M-rated games). However, controversial or not, if LA ever makes a game where you play the bad guy (not counting RPGs), they'll need to include something to make you realize it. A stormtrooper game without some evil stuff would be pretty pointless.

When I said 'big budget', I was kind of looking for a less hostile way of saying 'not another shovelware clone wars game'. Anyway, most of the 'pure fun' low-budget games would be harder to just slap a Star Wars license on, since they tend to shy away from more common genres like FPS or RTS, which tend to need large budgets to compete on the shelves. The easiest cheap-but-fun 'type' of game (seriously, it's not like LA's going to think of a new one) to put the Star Wars license on would be a tower defense game. But seriously, isn't everyone getting kinda sick of those by now?

As for the Airport level in MW2, it was important that something happen for the story to make any sense at all (though seriously, a Russian invasion is almost laughably unlikely under any circumstances, even if one discounts the problems with the plot device as pointed out by Primogen). However it was executed badly. Since gameplay-wise, slaughtering unarmed people is boring, and the story could have been advanced in the same way with a more fun level (i.e. an attempt to stop the terrorists ends in the same frame-job, or even make the plot stronger by having some CIA or TF 141 or MI6 group get ordered/tricked into something more damaging to Russia than killing a few dozen people. Either option gives us dudes with guns to shoot at, thus better gameplay), the only good (from a player's perspective) reason to make the level the way they did is to have some sort of emotional impact. I didn't feel it (and considering the player character was meant to be a guy from the 75th, I probably would be more likely than other people to do so). Not one other person I've talked to who's played the level felt much more than boredom either. That pretty much leaves one good (this time from a company's perspective) reason for putting it in the way it was: Simple controversy-baiting for $$$. Which, when the controversial item is a fairly plausible (probably the only fairly plausible thing in the entire game) terrorist attack with players as participants, is IMO tasteless.

TL;DR: I like fun at any budget, but not shovelware. Also, MW2 could have had a fun level with the same story effect in MW2, but they made a non-fun level for easy controversy $$$ instead.

--Too Dumb to Quit--

Last edited by Liverandbacon; 04-11-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: added TL;DR section
Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #72
Primogen

Of course there was no emotional impact! You come out of an elevator and start shooting. There's no way to -get- emotional about it. It's like having a family of four come walking through the line of fire in Gears of War, you're not horrified when they get perforated, you don't -care-. Actually, in that situation, you might just be laughing at the sheer absurdity, but still.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #73
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
RAMIREZ! USE THE JAVELIN TO MAKE THIS THREAD LESS SERIOUS!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #74
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
YES KEITH DAVID, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 12:31 AM   #75
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
Yeah, that's what we in the snark biz call BS. Come on. Russia finds a dead guy at the scene of a massacre, somehow discerns he's an American agent, and their response is 'Well, OBVIOUSLY the United States did this because I mean, they obviously stand to gain a ton by butchering a couple dozen Russian civilians, so let's just invade them.' In a word - what? That makes -no- logical sense. It was just a cheap plot device.
I never said the plot of MW2 made sense, it's quite the opposite actually. I just said that was the purpose of that level, which it was. Not that I really played MW2 anyway...

Old 04-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #76
Lord of Hunger
Hunger, The Lord Of

Current Game: Shogun 2: Total War
Quote:
Podracing Lego Republic Commando Clones Unleashed.
THIS!

And subsequent versions too!

As of 3/14/10, TSL is restored. The Sith Lords Restored Content Modification by Stoney and Zbyl has been finished and can be downloaded here.

Lord of Hunger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 01:43 AM   #77
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:
BUT THEN HOW CAN I TURN THIS FORUM INTO KAVAR'S 2.0???

My hatred and bile can't all fit in there...

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Old 04-11-2011, 02:19 AM   #78
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Also led to him/the US being pegged as responsible for the massacre... leading to the whole war thing, so yeah it was fairly important and not pointless.
lol, I think I missed that part because I was that disinterested with the story of MW2... as for the rest of the comments about MW2, I think the thing we can all come away from that game and the entire Call of Duty series is that it's probably best not to think too hard about the story or plot or what message they were trying to convey and just take it for what it is... which is a online multiplayer shooter. (I find that most serious CoD fans don't even bother with the campaign mode lol)

As for LA... they do need to find some kind of balance... they obvious want to keep on making games for cheap that have a high return, but they also don't want to alienate their fanbase.... at least we hope so lol... there is a median to be found, but at this stage they're at the extremes with very high production value games such as TOR and TFU and very low production value games such as... everything clone wars. *thinks* Until TOR is finally released I don't think we'll really see any kind of change in this strategy.

Either way, look forward to at least one Star Wars Kinect game no one will care about.

On the note of Kavar's... I HATE the serious discussion forums in LF... people should be spending their time talking about vidya, not world affairs and all that other unimportant stuff

Old 04-11-2011, 02:38 AM   #79
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
I HATE the serious discussion forums in LF...
So full of hate... to the Darkside that will lead.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 04:08 AM   #80
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Quote:
Yeah, I know about Mysteries of the Sith, but it's not Mara Jade: Emperor's Hand, it's Mara Jade: Jedi Knight.
Sorry man. S*** happens. You asked for Mara Jade...
The closest thing we'll get to emperor's hand is probably TFU or something like that. Maybe TOR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
What I'd be curious to see is if LA would try to get some controversy $$$ by putting in something along the lines of a 'kill the political protestors and make it look like a rebel attack' or 'assassinate the alien civil rights leader' bit.
Like arranging on behalf of the exchange and the techno union to get soem patsy to assassinate the Supreme Chancellor on a Taris motorspeedercade? Or a mayhem raid on Al Stardustonne's speakeasy in west Nar Shadda?

Quote:
As for LA... they do need to find some kind of balance... they obvious want to keep on making games for cheap that have a high return, but they also don't want to alienate their fanbase.... at least we hope so lol... there is a median to be found, but at this stage they're at the extremes with very high production value games such as TOR and TFU and very low production value games such as... everything clone wars. *thinks* Until TOR is finally released I don't think we'll really see any kind of change in this strategy.
Bear with me I'm trying to make sense here.

I think a break-off/alienation of some kind is pretty much inevitable at this point. I mean, can anyone really go as many directions as LA has without losing (or at least warping) something important, fanbase or content?

Quote:
On the note of Kavar's... I HATE the serious discussion forums in LF... people should be spending their time talking about vidya, not world affairs and all that other unimportant stuff
I have to admit lately it doesn't hold the appeal for me that it once did.

Quote:
Ummmmm...... I like turtles!
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > LucasArts hires back dude who worked on Republic Commando