lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: LucasArts hires back dude who worked on Republic Commando
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-11-2011, 04:04 AM   #81
Primogen

Current Game: The Witcher
I think something like this should be in the non-existent Imperial Commando.

View page
YouTube Video

The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #82
ChAiNz.2da
Leave Everything to Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primogen View Post

Show spoiler

*twitch* *twitch*

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #83
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I mean, we keep on saying the same things every time this sort of news comes around... "I hope for this, I hope for that"...
Which is why I cannot fathom why everyone is screaming for the same list of 5 games yet they do everything but.

It does not compute.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #84
Primogen

Because there are only about five good Star Wars games, so we want them to have sequels?

Old 04-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #85
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Which is why I cannot fathom why everyone is screaming for the same list of 5 games yet they do everything but.

It does not compute.
The only reasons I can really think of would be:

A: They think the fanbase is too small to justify the cost of giving it what it wants, and they can make more money selling cheap, rushed games to young children who can still love anything with a Star Wars label on it, regardless of quality.

B: They think that if they make a game we want, a few of us will buy it, complain that something was done wrong, that it's a disgrace to the series, etc. The rest of the fanbase will then ignore it, and start posting in forums about how they want a 'real' sequel.

C: Lucasarts is working to get into the Guinness book of World Records for 'Most Wasted License Potential'. And they don't like us very much.

I'm leaning towards a combination of A and B.

I just figure that since the Star Wars license is so lucrative in general (not just video games), there's plenty of money in the parent company. And since video games are becoming the most bought form of entertainment, LucasArts will be kept alive in one form or another for a very long time. If we sit and wait, enjoy other games and activities, and don't get all tense, upset, or excited, at some point, something good will come out (like a monkey with a typewriter and infinite time). And if it doesn't, we're too busy enjoying other stuff to mind much. I may post about what I hope for, or my disappointment, but I don't really let it bother me much IRL.

--Too Dumb to Quit--

Last edited by Liverandbacon; 04-12-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #86
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Odds are good Imperial Commando would be about Clones.

I'd like to see an Emperor's Hand game, personally. Preferably about Mara Jade. *Shifty*
I guess your right. Even if they are clones I'll be happy so long as the game isn't based in the clone wars. Assuming we get a game...

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 02:54 AM   #87
Primogen

I think the real problem is that LucasArts doesn't have any idea what people want. Look at The Force Unleashed. *Hangs self*

I don't think LucasArts is maliciously refusing to make -good- games, I just think they're idiots.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:54 AM   #88
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Look at The Force Unleashed's total sales. I think LucasArts is trying to make money.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #89
LordOfTheFish

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I think the real problem is that LucasArts doesn't have any idea what people want. Look at The Force Unleashed. *Hangs self*

I don't think LucasArts is maliciously refusing to make -good- games, I just think they're idiots.
I wouldn't doubt that lots of people actually like and enjoy playing TFU 1 and 2. Especially those kids who jizz themselves everytime they hear the word 'Jedi'.

It's funny, really, how we sit here and rant on these things yet buy the games ourselves anyway, which ultimately convinces LucasArts they made yet another good game so why not make a sequel, right? Especially if it's going to make money!

Old 04-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #90
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I must be the only one who has enjoyed the first TFU game, then...

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #91
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Let's say there was never God of War, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden and Episode III was my only reference for action games. Then I'd have liked TFU for sure.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #92
Primogen

TFU wasn't -horrible-.

That's about all I can say for it.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #93
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
It wasn't the worst game in the world... that title goes to Metroid: Other M... but it showed very clearly the level that LA has dropped to over the years in terms of overall quality.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2011, 01:16 AM   #94
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Lucasarts never internally developed a bad game until 1997, which is pretty impressive for being founded in 1982. Now it seems that's all they do.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2011, 01:32 AM   #95
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
TFU seemed, story and mechanical inconsistency aside (a lightsaber should shear through enemies, not need you to whack them repeatedly with it like a baseball bat in order to kill them), like a variation on JK and JO. At least what little I played. It did not suck anywhere near as bad as Backyard wrestling 1 & 2.

Quote:

View page
YouTube Video
O_O What the ****?

I...didn't know about that... I can't decide if that is scary or awesome... I mean it does have a good performance, but Bee Arthur?

I'm...speechless.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2011, 01:54 AM   #96
mstr kenobi
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
Let's say there was never God of War, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden and Episode III was my only reference for action games. Then I'd have liked TFU for sure.
TFU was repetitive and boring IMO
When people are making awesome games, like Batman AA and Assassin's Creed... Lucasarts effort is as basic as it possibly can.

And it look's even worst when you think that we had JK2 almost a decade ago...
mstr kenobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #97
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221 View Post
Lucasarts never internally developed a bad game until 1997, which is pretty impressive for being founded in 1982. Now it seems that's all they do.
Just curious, what game was that?
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #98
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gιygαs View Post
Just curious, what game was that?
This little ****fest. Which seems to be the beginning of slapping a Star Wars logo on anything because it's a guaranteed million sales.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #99
LordOfTheFish

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
I must be the only one who has enjoyed the first TFU game, then...
Actually I enjoyed too. It didn't have much replay value but I'm glad I bought it.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #100
Primogen

A friend got it for me for like $7 on Steam, so I don't -regret- getting it, I got about $7 worth of enjoyment out of picking up a Stormtrooper, hitting him with lightning, and bouncing him off a bulkhead a couple times.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #101
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I have TFU from Steam because of a Star Wars bundle I got, but I'd rather have the 360 version of both TFU and TFU2... I don't own either of those yet for 360 because I haven't seen them being sold cheap enough yet to justify the purchase...

Old 04-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #102
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
I don't own either of those yet for 360 because I haven't seen them being sold cheap enough yet to justify the purchase...
Speaking just to TFU2, I don't believe they will ever pay you to take it, so it will ever be cheap enough to justify the purchase.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #103
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Oh that. Masters of Teras Kasi, what a disappointment. At least what reminders of that which are still brought up today are tasteful enough enough to also recognize it for the blight that it actually is. Hell, I bet a custom SW M.U.G.E.N. could be better. Not that many people would care.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2011, 12:19 AM   #104
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets

Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Look at The Force Unleashed's total sales. I think LucasArts is trying to make money.
Look at the hype being generated around TOR.

I don't think the money > fans notion can be proven more clearly over the decision to make TOR over Kotor3. I personally would prefer a K3, but that's not the reason I'm saying this.

Just the whole thing - the way they're presenting it and the fact that it's an MMORPG.

I mean, is it just me or are they just ignoring us as fans and our requests for games, and instead releasing games, trying to make us think that the one they're making will be better? There wasn't really any overwhelming demand for a Star Wars Online game, and our expectations as fans was to expect a trilogy (as all things Star Wars come in).

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2011, 01:36 AM   #105
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Of course they're ignoring fans and their request for games. The truth is that fans don't necessarily know what is best for a company... fans know what's best for themselves, sure, but not for a business enterprise.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:44 AM   #106
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarsityPuppet View Post
I mean, is it just me or are they just ignoring us as fans and our requests for games, and instead releasing games, trying to make us think that the one they're making will be better? There wasn't really any overwhelming demand for a Star Wars Online game, and our expectations as fans was to expect a trilogy (as all things Star Wars come in).
There weren't any overwhelming demands for all the good original stuff LucasArts has pulled either - nobody demanded a KotOR or a Grim Fandango or a Jedi Knight. LA is not obligated to listen to its fans, and if it did, half the great games it has made wouldn't exist in the first place.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2011, 04:20 AM   #107
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

This thread and the "Star Wars needs to die" thread are pretty much the same deal... people just don't like the fact that a different audience is being focused on instead of them. It's more a case of the ice cream man supplying flavours that the other kids like but not the ones we like any more.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:36 AM   #108
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samnmax221 View Post
This little ****fest. Which seems to be the beginning of slapping a Star Wars logo on anything because it's a guaranteed million sales.
I always liked that game

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2011, 05:36 AM   #109
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
This thread and the "Star Wars needs to die" thread are pretty much the same deal... people just don't like the fact that a different audience is being focused on instead of them. It's more a case of the ice cream man supplying flavours that the other kids like but not the ones we like any more.
This. Invidiousness is just sad.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #110
VarsityPuppet
Master of Puppets

Current Game: Chrono Trigger
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
There weren't any overwhelming demands for all the good original stuff LucasArts has pulled either - nobody demanded a KotOR or a Grim Fandango or a Jedi Knight. LA is not obligated to listen to its fans, and if it did, half the great games it has made wouldn't exist in the first place.
Yeah, that's something I also thought about. The problem with making sequels of course, comes with the fact that they have to improve over the first game in order for them to be successful, and maybe - not saying this was the case - that was/is too much pressure for them. It's much easier to start up a new series and try something different, in that sense.

Quote:
No, it's not quite there. At least we're not debating the kiddyness of games..... yet

VarsityPuppet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #111
Primogen

Yeah, but the reason we don't like the ice cream the ice cream man is offering is because it's a thin slathering of magic shell over sawdust and our broken dreams.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #112
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Quote:
Yeah, but the reason we don't like the ice cream the ice cream man is offering is because it's a thin slathering of magic shell over sawdust and our broken dreams.
Something tells me you're gonna grow up to be one of those old fogeys sitting on the porch yelling at kids to get off "ya darn lawn" and complaining about how things aren't as good as they used to be in the olden days... XD

Old 04-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #113
Primogen

I'm looking forward to being a crotchety old man.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #114
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

I think you already are.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #115
Primogen

In spirit, yeah, just not in flesh yet.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #116
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:
While this is true, if no one is making the flavor of ice cream you like any more, doesn't it make sense to not be happy about it?

Within reason of course. I'm seeing (and regrettably helping contribute to, in some cases) the precursors of long threads full of people complaining about . We probably want to avoid that.

--Too Dumb to Quit--

Last edited by Liverandbacon; 01-14-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:13 AM   #117
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Who said no one is making the flavour is ice cream you like? One company isn't... doesn't mean all the other companies aren't either

Old 04-15-2011, 12:50 AM   #118
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

In this case, I was referring mainly to Star Wars games of certain types, which is what a lot of people seem to be bemoaning a lack of. I can't really think of another company that makes Star Wars games.

Of course, there are plenty of other types of game I personally prefer anyway. Unfortunately for me, my favorite, RPGs with a ton of interesting choices and consequences (plenty of games offer the first, the second, not so much), are getting rarer and rarer. Still, they're not extinct, especially among Eastern European devs. I just need to wait until the demand for brown and gray gritty multiplayer manshoots quiets down a bit. I like a good manshoot, but there's only so much of the same one can handle.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Old 04-15-2011, 12:58 AM   #119
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I guess all we can really do is play the waiting game with LA. It' snot like they're going to listen to our personal grievances... don't get me wrong, I have a bone to pick with LA too, but I realise they're not exactly going to listen to me even if they could hear me to begin with.

As for other companies making Star Wars games... I thought that's what was happening these days XD I mean, LA is more of an overseer now than a developer.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:24 AM   #120
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Quote:
I guess all we can really do is play the waiting game with LA. It' snot like they're going to listen to our personal grievances... don't get me wrong, I have a bone to pick with LA too, but I realise they're not exactly going to listen to me even if they could hear me to begin with.
We really should just give up at this point. If LA wants to steal all the potential their Star Wars license holds, and squander it on games for children, they will. What we hope for and want them to make isn't even an issue to them, and our pitiful demands won't make any difference to that.

Unnecessary entertainment products are serious business.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > LucasArts hires back dude who worked on Republic Commando