lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: LucasArts hires back dude who worked on Republic Commando
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #201
Lynk Former
internet hate machine
 
Lynk Former's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,979
10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
As good as it is to remember Dark Forces... even for someone like me who played and finished the game when it was first released, I can't really go back.

I own the game right now and I tried to play it a few days ago... I can't! My nostalgia goggles aren't strong enough to make me want to play through beyond the first level and the visuals screw with my eyes and I kind of feel physically sick after playing it for too long.

I find it amazing that we were able to put up with such horrid visuals in the games of our past actually lol. It took me a little while to distinguish the enemies from the background and I kept on getting lost because everything looked the same and the walls outside of the base were that same repeated pattern EVERYWHERE.

If they did remake Dark Forces without trying to reimagine it and simply upgraded the visuals as a pure remake, it'd end up being a hell of a lot better than the original just because of that reason.

It's nice to hold on to nostalgia just as long as you have nostalgia goggles powerful enough to do the job.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #202
HdVaderII
I am le sad.
 
HdVaderII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Space. The final frontier.
Posts: 615
Current Game: Dark Forces. Yeah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
It's nice to hold on to nostalgia just as long as you have nostalgia goggles powerful enough to do the job.
That must mean mine are incredibly powerful. I played DF a few weeks ago, and fell in love with it all over again. I guess I haven't gotten to that point. Next week, it's on to Jedi Knight.


Are you one of those poor Macintosh gamers that are in the possession of Empire at War, yet because of the scarcity of Mac players out there you have nobody to play against? If you are, PM me if you want to set up a game.
HdVaderII is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #203
Thanatos9t
Junior Member
 
Thanatos9t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 259
Helpful! 
Gasp LucasArts + Unreal Engine 3 + Tim Longo = Republic/Imperial Commando?

(For those who don't know Unreal Engine 2 powered Republic Commando.)


"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
Thanatos9t is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #204
HockeyGoalie35
The New Leader
 
HockeyGoalie35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut, U.S.A.
Posts: 553
Current Game: DJ Starscream
Veteran Modder Folder extraordinaire Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos9t View Post
Gasp LucasArts + Unreal Engine 3 + Tim Longo = Republic/Imperial Commando?

(For those who don't know Unreal Engine 2 powered Republic Commando.)
That's what I'm hoping for, but why get my hopes up? IC was cancelled before it was even anounced.




Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGoalie35 View Post
I wish I had some Combustable Lemons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =purifier View Post
Granted, but you accidently get blown up with that lemony smell and the
Pine-Sol woman appears out of nowhere and says: "That's the power of Pine-Sol, baby. "
HockeyGoalie35 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #205
Primogen
Junior Member
 
Primogen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 285
Current Game: The Witcher
Dark Forces is not that awesome of a game. You know what it brought new to the table? Not a hell of a lot. It's just a first person shooter where the things you're shooting are Stormtroopers. A bad game? No, it's a very well made first person shooter. But it's still just that, a first person shooter in a market already filled with a glut of them.


The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #206
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,052
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Dark Forces was a awesome game in 1995, in 2011 not so much. It was also the first FPS I ever played that actually told a story and was plenty innovative enough (for its time) when compared to other top selling games of the time.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #207
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Haven't played DF for a long time, but I did play it to death when I first got it in the 90's for my Mac. After all the games since then, I'd have to agree with LF and mim that it would essentially need a graphics overhaul to really enjoy again. Also a reason I have trouble going back to playing the original HL games. Graphics just too primitive now.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #208
Lynk Former
internet hate machine
 
Lynk Former's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,979
10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
@ Primogen: Again, by that logic, every game sucks. Very few games released actually bring anything new to the table and those most people think do are actually borrowing from other games those people weren't even aware of.

Most of the time, whatever "new" element you see in a game is simply an old element that's been improved upon.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2011, 02:57 AM   #209
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller
 
GeneralPloKoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 1,532
Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Dark Forces is a game I love even today. One of my favorites. I played it to death on PS1 moreso than PC!

But yeah, until Lucasarts announces some actual games I won't give my hopes up. Although the Unreal engine thing is kinda interesting...
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2011, 03:07 AM   #210
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Liked dark forces but playing it now makes me a combination of queasy like playing tomb raider (suddenly remembers why I could not stand it was the cave level) plus my eyes burn like hell (think like 30 minutes on virtual boy eye agony divided in half). Actually it seems I can't stand many of the games I used to play as my eyes want to swell out of their sockets and my wrists are no longer acclimated to controllers.

Whoa, I just realized something...Many of my games are useless to me now. This...really sucks.


"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-24-2011, 05:21 AM   #211
Sith Holocron
M4-78
 
Sith Holocron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pasadena, MD(Nar Shaddaa East)
Posts: 1,328
Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
As good as it is to remember Dark Forces... even for someone like me who played and finished the game when it was first released, I can't really go back.

If they did remake Dark Forces without trying to reimagine it and simply upgraded the visuals as a pure remake, it'd end up being a hell of a lot better than the original just because of that reason.
It's too bad that the progress for "Dark Forces: A MOD For Jedi Academy" moves along so slowly as it is supposed to rectify the thing you're talking about.

Luckily, there's a whole section dedicated to this mod over in the Jedi Knight section of LucasForums: Dark Forces Mod




Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > LucasArts hires back dude who worked on Republic Commando

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:33 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.