lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Am I the only one who thinks Star Wars should die?
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #121
mstr kenobi
Rookie
 
mstr kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Posts: 165
It's nitpicking, or cherry-picking maybe, because you are using the fact she gets it wrong once every 15 appearances (please don't nitpick this as well, focus on the main argument, i would hate to someone to go saying "Ha!!! by my count she gets it wrong every 11,5 appearances") as proof of her non sue-ness.

If i see someone being pretty much always right, being wrong once, still getting away with it, just so they can be thought a lesson about not being so brash, impatient, respect his elders still seems sue-ish to me.


Quote:
You're complaining because at the end of the episode they are back where they were? You have just described about 50% of all US television shows. However, as someone that has watched all the clone wars episodes I can honestly state you are misrepresenting The Clone Wars. Yes, at the end of the episode they are still fighting a war. So what, this is a 30 min TV show, not a 90 min movie. Yes, we know where they will end up because we have seen RotS, but that does not mean we know how they got there.

I do not dispute that some episodes are throwaways; they have no real implication into the overall Star Wars universe. That does not however mean they are all throwaways. Many of the episodes seem to grow the characters beyond the cardboard cutouts of the prequels. Many episodes also build on what happened in a previous unrelated story arch. Your uninformed comments mean you either are purposely misrepresenting the subject because of your distain for it, you are merely looking to provoke a response or you saw two episodes and hated it.
I guess it has to do with expectations, and fit to the franchise, i can watch a comedy like the Big Bang Theory (the only american series i watch currently) go back and forth, even though we all expect Leonard to end with Penny in the end.


But having a tied down Star wars series, honestly, it's not for me.
Just like killing immortals every week and never getting anywhere wasn't good for Highlander.


That's the whole story, someone asked why people have problems with the thing, i think it was prime, and i obliged, i don't like it because it never goes anywhere and it's not even suppoused to go anywhere.


I realize that for you it might seem different, but everytime i watch it, it gives me a feeling of "so... where does that take me?" and that makes it pointless for me. Emphasis on the "for me" please.

And i do have this feeling that a big number of episodes are a big fat joke, mainly because when i watched the series (well in excess of 2 episodes, rest assured ), that seemed very common, pathetic enemys, childish jokes...
But that's besides the point i was trying to make and i have no proof whatsoever that is still the case.
Of course the only people that still watch it, are the ones that managed to "survive" season 1, of course they think it's significantly improved since then.
They just have to (cheap shot here just for fun, ignore it lol).

Quote:
Enough with the rant. Prove that. And I bolded it.

If you've only seen a couple of episodes, you can't use terms like "most of the time" or "always"...
Fair enough. But even then, i have to say that at a first moment you agreed that Ahsoka was a Mary Sue.
You only said that by those standards Grievous was a sue too, i said that i don't think Grievous is one and told you why i think so, and now you want me to prove to you that Ahsoka is a Sue?

And easy there buddy, let's be friends

obs:mimartin the no double posting rule is kicking my ass
everyone is out for blood and i can't breathe

Last edited by mstr kenobi; 04-06-2011 at 05:52 PM.
mstr kenobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #122
Primogen
Junior Member
 
Primogen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 285
Current Game: The Witcher
Just because someone makes a mistake does not make them -not- a Sue. Wesley Crusher occasionally screwed up, he was still an obnoxious sue.


The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #123
Alexrd
Senior Member
 
Alexrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 2,170
Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Your uninformed comments mean you either are purposely misrepresenting the subject because of your distain for it, you are merely looking to provoke a response or you saw two episodes and hated it.
This.



Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #124
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Why don't you come with me...
Posts: 4,267
Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primogen View Post
Just because someone makes a mistake does not make them -not- a Sue. Wesley Crusher occasionally screwed up, he was still an obnoxious sue.
Understandably people will discuss and debate when a favorite character is called a mary sue. What I don't understand is why some people aren't engaging in the fact that sesame street has a pimp on there.


We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #125
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,578
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
One thing I will say for the TCW series is that it made me actually LIKE Anakin. That's something the movies did not do. I really didn't like how Anakin was portrayed in the movies. TCW turned a flimsy character into someone I actually care about.

Ahsoka... never really cared much for her. I just keep telling myself that I'm sure in one of the episodes, she will die a horrible death, because we don't see her in ROTS.


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #126
Primogen
Junior Member
 
Primogen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 285
Current Game: The Witcher
I wouldn't bet money on her dying.


The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #127
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,365
Well, dibs on her getting sold off to a Hutt as a sex slave then.


Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2011, 03:25 AM   #128
Samnmax221
I never Kipled
 
Samnmax221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: My hovercraft is full of eels
Posts: 5,784
Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
No one ever stays dead in Star Wars. They show up in one form or another no matter how much it might **** up the story.

Also that guy in the background of [random scene], he's a secret Jedi.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #129
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie
 
VeniVidiVicous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin
Well even bad taste is taste.

Just proves we all have different taste and saying you think something is good or bad is very different than making a statement saying something is good or bad.
Right, well i'll right now make the official statement that the Force Unleashed is bad.
My main beef with this is that books and films try and not make the force users seem too invincible and this game comes out with CrashDown from BattleStar Galactica and pisses all over that idea.
They've even written novels on the force unleashed now!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
So one of your many beefs is that there is a kids show at all?
I don't care that it's a kids show, I just think it's a really poor show that happens to be a kids show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
If you are complaining about "ruining other canon in different time periods", Traviss was one of the worst offenders, regardless if her writing was good or not. Not to mentioned the ultimate Gary Stu-ness of her Mandos and Boba Fett.
Can you give me an example of canon she messed with? Can someone fill me in on what this Mary Stu/Gavin Stu thing is all about btw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
And for the record, she left of her own accord.
After saying we're going to forget your Republic Cammando series because we want to use the crap kids tv show as official canon.


VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #130
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,578
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous View Post
After saying we're going to forget your Republic Cammando series because we want to use the crap kids tv show as official canon.
They always do that. Video games books and comics are always considered lesser canon than film and TV shows. It shouldn't have been a surprise.

Video games are low on the totem pole. Right above fan-fics.

And again, even though you don't like it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be canon. I mean if the Sun-King and the Season Scepter can be canon, then so be it. It doesn't mean I have to like that, or even reference it in future works(thank heavens there's no references to them in any other works...that I know of).


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #131
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,052
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous View Post
Right, well i'll right now make the official statement that the Force Unleashed is bad.
My main beef with this is that books and films try and not make the force users seem too invincible and this game comes out with CrashDown from BattleStar Galactica and pisses all over that idea.

They've even written novels on the force unleashed now!!
So what, you don't like it. I don't like Justin Beaver or Miley Cyrus. It does not mean that other people can't enjoy their music (although to be honest I'm not even 100% sure Justin Beaver is a musician). I know at least three kids that absolutely love Force Unleashed. What does that mean? Nothing, but just saying something did not meet your personal taste requirements only means one thing. YOU did not like it. Others are just as entitled to their opinion as you are and their opinion is more important to their person taste than your opinion, just as your opinion is more important to you.

You do know the opposite of loving something isn’t hating something? It is being indifferent towards it because it isn’t worth the effort to gripe about it.

Last edited by mimartin; 04-07-2011 at 02:19 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #132
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Why don't you come with me...
Posts: 4,267
Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.


Uhuhuhuhuh-huhuh. Beaver. Huhuh-huh-huhuhuhuh.


We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #133
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude
 
Taak Farst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: England
Posts: 1,561
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
thread derailment at it's best GTA:SWCity..:P


Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #134
Primogen
Junior Member
 
Primogen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 285
Current Game: The Witcher
That's probably because Traviss' books were Travisstys (Oh BURN). Look at what she did to Scout, she had no respect for the rest of the universe. travesty


The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #135
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,578
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
So what, you don't like it. I don't like Justin Beaver or Miley Cyrus. It does not mean that other people can't enjoy their music (although to be honest I'm not even 100% sure Justin Beaver is a musician). I know at least three kids that absolutely love Force Unleashed. What does that mean? Nothing, but just saying something did not meet your personal taste requirements only means one thing. YOU did not like it. Others are just as entitled to their opinion as you are and their opinion is more important to their person taste to them than your opinion, just as your opinion is more important to you.

You do know the opposite of loving something isn’t hating something? It is being indifferent towards it because it isn’t worth the effort to gripe about it.
Yeah. Opinions are like bottoms. We all have em, and they all stink(just ask my dog). If you don't like it, ignore it. I ignore the Vong, and the Ewoks series. It isn't something that I'm going to demand they change canon for.


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #136
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,052
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Yeah. Opinions are like bottoms. We all have em, and they all stink(just ask my dog).
That was what I was trying to say, but couldn't think of a nice way to put it so I would not have to ban or infract myself.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #137
Primogen
Junior Member
 
Primogen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 285
Current Game: The Witcher
Complicated questions provoke thought. Simple questions provoke more instinctual reactions.


The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #138
Tommycat
º¿º>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,578
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
That was what I was trying to say, but couldn't think of a nice way to put it so I would not have to ban or infract myself.
I had kids... I know how to say most of those old sayings in a G rated way.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Primogen View Post
Complicated questions provoke thought. Simple questions devolve into all out flame wars.
There, I fixed it for you


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Tommycat; 04-07-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #139
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,052
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
If you have a problem with a post or posts please use the report button (the little yellow button below the users name and avatar). Other than the couple places where I've posted a warning or edited a post I have not seen anything that I thought violated the forum’s rules. That does not mean that there isn’t anything though. I have a tendency to be a little callous at times.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #140
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie
 
VeniVidiVicous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
They always do that. Video games books and comics are always considered lesser canon than film and TV shows. It shouldn't have been a surprise.

Video games are low on the totem pole. Right above fan-fics.

And again, even though you don't like it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be canon. I mean if the Sun-King and the Season Scepter can be canon, then so be it. It doesn't mean I have to like that, or even reference it in future works(thank heavens there's no references to them in any other works...that I know of).
I have no idea who the Sun-King and Season Scepter are, are they in SW canon?

I see your point on a tv show trumping a book series, I suppose the only reason i'm a bit annoyed about is that I liked those books where I didn't like that tv show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
So what, you don't like it. I don't like Justin Beaver or Miley Cyrus. It does not mean that other people can't enjoy their music (although to be honest I'm not even 100% sure Justin Beaver is a musician). I know at least three kids that absolutely love Force Unleashed. What does that mean? Nothing, but just saying something did not meet your personal taste requirements only means one thing. YOU did not like it. Others are just as entitled to their opinion as you are and their opinion is more important to their person taste than your opinion, just as your opinion is more important to you.

You do know the opposite of loving something isn’t hating something? It is being indifferent towards it because it isn’t worth the effort to gripe about it.
While i respect what you're saying in that everyones entitled to like what they like regardless of what other people think i'm "griping" only because I happen to like SW in general it's just that a lot of directions they've taken recently have putting me off it a bit. I'm sympathizing with the OP you could say.


VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #141
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?
 
Prime's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 12,352
Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
I do not dispute that some episodes are throwaways; they have no real implication into the overall Star Wars universe. That does not however mean they are all throwaways. Many of the episodes seem to grow the characters beyond the cardboard cutouts of the prequels.
Indeed. I think Anakin in particular has really been made a deeper, more mature, and sympathetic character than we get from the films. I think one way that the PT fails to a degree is that no one is really cheering for him, and so no one really feels the tragedy of his fall. Seeing him as a capable hero with humanity makes that arc much better. I think there is value in those sorts of stories for him and other characters that shouldn't be disregarded just because the taking of Muunilist only affected some supply lines somewhere.

At the end of the day, the PT era was never really about the Clone Wars. It is much more about how the characters were affected, the fall of Anakin and the Jedi, and the rise of Palpatine and the Empire. The Clone Wars was just the mechanism by which those things happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstr kenobi
It's nitpicking, or cherry-picking maybe, because you are using the fact she gets it wrong once every 15 appearances (please don't nitpick this as well, focus on the main argument, i would hate to someone to go saying "Ha!!! by my count she gets it wrong every 11,5 appearances") as proof of her non sue-ness
I'm not trying to nitpick. And I'm certainly not trying to say that it is one time out of 15. I think it is substantially more than that, and that overall she is clearly shown to have a lot to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstr kenobi
But having a tied down Star wars series, honestly, it's not for me...That's the whole story, someone asked why people have problems with the thing, i think it was prime, and i obliged, i don't like it because it never goes anywhere and it's not even suppoused to go anywhere.
I do appreciate that you responded with an actual answer and not just "CW is dumb and for the kiddies" (not being sarcastic here), but I do think you are selling the show short in part for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous
Can you give me an example of canon she messed with? Can someone fill me in on what this Mary Stu/Gavin Stu thing is all about btw?
Mostly I'm thinking of LotF series and Boba Fett and the Mandalorians. When Jaina had to take on her Sith Lord brother, who did she go to get an edge? Boba and the Mando's of course! Boba has killed many Jedi over the years (wait what?) so he would know. Some of the later books of the series have every character, even those that shouldn't, be completely pro mandalorian and marvel in awe at their abilities. I actually stopped reading the series because of it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous
After saying we're going to forget your Republic Cammando series because we want to use the crap kids tv show as official canon.
But they haven't been forgotten, they just have to sort how canon is going to look after TCW. Whatever they can make fit they are going to fit. And this situation is happening to many authors and contributors, but they are not getting their panties in a bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat
Yeah. Opinions are like bottoms. We all have em, and they all stink(just ask my dog). If you don't like it, ignore it. I ignore the Vong, and the Ewoks series. It isn't something that I'm going to demand they change canon for.
This view of things is refreshing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous
While i respect what you're saying in that everyones entitled to like what they like regardless of what other people think i'm "griping" only because I happen to like SW in general it's just that a lot of directions they've taken recently have putting me off it a bit. I'm sympathizing with the OP you could say.
The older you get you will realize that some people are put off with every direction they take, and that has been happening forever. Do you remember the outrage when spaarti cloning was retconned?

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #142
VeniVidiVicous
Rookie
 
VeniVidiVicous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Mostly I'm thinking of LotF series and Boba Fett and the Mandalorians. When Jaina had to take on her Sith Lord brother, who did she go to get an edge? Boba and the Mando's of course! Boba has killed many Jedi over the years (wait what?) so he would know. Some of the later books of the series have every character, even those that shouldn't, be completely pro mandalorian and marvel in awe at their abilities. I actually stopped reading the series because of it all.
Out of curiosity, is it the fact that certain characters "were in awe" (for lack of a better term) with the Mando's that bugs you or are you disputing Boba Fett having plenty of experience fighting/killing jedi (on a canon standpoint)??
Or is it possibly both things?

I read LotF and i'll admit I didn't percieve that part of it the same way you did. The way I perceived it was that Jaina came to the conclusion that she had to change her game plan if she was going to be able to stop her brother seeing as he'd be just as familiar with Jedi teachings as she would be but he had the benefit of force training outside of the Jedi Order. From her point of view at that time Boba Fett was the best person to help her achieve that. That's how I perceived it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
But they haven't been forgotten, they just have to sort how canon is going to look after TCW. Whatever they can make fit they are going to fit. And this situation is happening to many authors and contributors, but they are not getting their panties in a bunch.
I thought she quit becase they were going to completely change the canon to most of the work she's done regarding her writing in the PT era?
Maybe other authors should be a bit vocal if they feel that other content is going to ruin their work? At least if they raise the issue than there can be a negotiation as opposed to different elements of the franchise pulling away from each other or cancelling other parts out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
The older you get you will realize that some people are put off with every direction they take, and that has been happening forever. Do you remember the outrage when spaarti cloning was retconned?
I'm not sure what you mean when you say spaarti cloning was retconned. What are you referring to exactly?


VeniVidiVicous is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #143
Primogen
Junior Member
 
Primogen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 285
Current Game: The Witcher
Spaarti Clones have pretty much been retconned out of existence at this point.

Anyway, Traviss deserved what she got. She emasculated the Mandalorians, they went from being badass raiders that were the remnants of an Empire that had once threatened the Old Republic itself into being noble, heroic warriors, and Boba Fett got turned from a deadly and effective hunter into a bloody -family man-.


The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #144
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,052
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
The mando fans can’t gripe about canon being changed. Without George caving to fanboys Boba Fett would still be canonize as being an appetizer for the Sarlacc. Hell I still think of him that way. Was really confused seeing Boba Fett again while playing Dark Forces. To me Boba Fett will always be the Star Wars equivalent of a shrimp cocktail.

Last edited by mimartin; 04-11-2011 at 11:00 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #145
mstr kenobi
Rookie
 
mstr kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I think Anakin in particular has really been made a deeper, more mature, and sympathetic character than we get from the films. I think one way that the PT fails to a degree is that no one is really cheering for him, and so no one really feels the tragedy of his fall. Seeing him as a capable hero with humanity makes that arc much better.
I actually agree with this, for the first time we see Anakin as a hero and not a big jerk. They tried that in ROTS for like 2 mins... and right back to jerk, i don't have to tell you it didn't work.

Quote:
At the end of the day, the PT era was never really about the Clone Wars. It is much more about how the characters were affected, the fall of Anakin and the Jedi, and the rise of Palpatine and the Empire. The Clone Wars was just the mechanism by which those things happened.
You make a strong point here, but i'm still a bit disappointed by how little war, there is in the TCW.
I just think that more major battles and less of the small side plots, would have made for better episodes.

Mimartin made a point that this is the way of the American tv shows, a whole lot of dancing around the issue, drop a bomb to end the season, but i've never been a big fan of this concept/strategy, most shows stretch out too long, characters become a caricature (not talking about TCW here just my hate for the concept), and plots that never get finished (that Rachel-Ross thing).


Quote:
I do appreciate that you responded with an actual answer and not just "CW is dumb and for the kiddies" (not being sarcastic here), but I do think you are selling the show short in part for that reason.
Just a little explantion here, when i "name dropped" you i wasn't trying to point fingers on who is to blame for all the bickering that happened on this thread, i was just pointing out that i was giving my honest answer to your question and not trolling.

But anyway, your point is that the whole prequel era, including TCW, is about the characters, Anakin's fall, his relationship with Padmé, Obi-Wan... And Sidious schemes. Which is all true. (btw i just realized that the reason non fans think the prequels suck, might be the fact that everything is based around those not very likeable characters)

But, even though Anakin is finally a hero, which is good, and his relationship with Padmé is a lot less creepy (still very... meh, just a personal opinion), they also can't do a whole lot in this area, every major piece is already in place for ROTS.
Obi-Wan already made the jump from his AOTC persona (strict, bossy), to his ROTS persona (a lot more easy going)
Sidious still scheming.
Yoda is Yoda, can't be touched.
Dooku running the show from the other side but under direct orders from Sidious.
And Mace Windu is just an ass, why is he so cranky now?

IMO the prequel era should be done for the time being, the fall has been done and that is very little else to say, Anakin being a hero is cool, but ok, i saw him as the hero that he was always suppoused to have been now, can we do something else? It's very little to make me sit for how many seasons they want to make.

Unless they started showing a huge relentless war, then i could sit just by sheer awesome of it.

One extra thing, What's a spaarti clone? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
The mando fans can’t gripe about canon being changed. Without George caving to fanboys Boba Fett would still be canonize as being an appetizer for the Sarlacc. Hell I still think of him that way. Was really confused seeing Boba Fett again while playing Dark Forces. To me Boba Fett will always be the Star Wars equivalent of a shrimp cocktail.
I had no knowledge of anything EU at the time and it was a big WTF? moment for me too.
mstr kenobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 02:13 AM   #146
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?
 
Liverandbacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 651
Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
The mando fans can’t gripe about canon being changed. Without George caving to fanboys Boba Fett would still be canonize as being an appetizer for the Sarlacc. Hell I still think of him that way. Was really confused seeing Boba Fett again while playing Dark Forces. To me Boba Fett will always be the Star Wars equivalent of a shrimp cocktail.
To be fair, it makes some sense that a heavily armed and armored guy could blow his way out of the Sarlacc. Personally I'm cool with that. As a kid, I always thought he was a pretty cool guy, and shouldn't have died that way. I also thought he was the last mandalorian or something. Little did I know, that apparently there was an entire planet full of tragic hero space warriors who everyone (even those who hated them) respected and feared, who could all take a powerful jedi in a one on one fight.



--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 02:48 AM   #147
Primogen
Junior Member
 
Primogen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 285
Current Game: The Witcher
How do the Mandalorians survive, I wonder? Can you sustain an entire planet on the income of mercenaries? If they have a homeworld, the homeworld must have a permanent population. And you can't have a Mandalorian farmer or trader, they're all warriors, right?


The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 03:48 AM   #148
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.
 
Darth InSidious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Eleven-Day Empire
Posts: 5,775
Current Game: KotOR II
The warrior stuff is just what they do on the weekend. During the week, they're all management consultants. Search your feelings - you know it's true.



Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 05:06 AM   #149
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primogen View Post
How do the Mandalorians survive, I wonder? Can you sustain an entire planet on the income of mercenaries? If they have a homeworld, the homeworld must have a permanent population. And you can't have a Mandalorian farmer or trader, they're all warriors, right?
That's what slaves are for.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 05:08 AM   #150
Astor
It's Thornhill!
 
Astor's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 3,632
Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous
I read LotF and i'll admit I didn't percieve that part of it the same way you did. The way I perceived it was that Jaina came to the conclusion that she had to change her game plan if she was going to be able to stop her brother seeing as he'd be just as familiar with Jedi teachings as she would be but he had the benefit of force training outside of the Jedi Order. From her point of view at that time Boba Fett was the best person to help her achieve that. That's how I perceived it anyway.
It wouldn't have been half as bad it was only that.

I'm quoting myself here from the 'Overrated Garbage' thread, apologies for the length -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself
Mandalorians, or at least as Karen Traviss would have them, are unrivalled in every field. Their fighter craft are not only faster than an X-Wing, they’re clad in armour (or beskar’gam) that is impervious to everything. This same armour is used by their warriors, and is, unsurprisingly, lightsaber resistant.

Let’s take the Legacy of the Force book Revelations as an example.

They are also very, very scary. During the course of this book, Jaina Solo visits Mandalore, and it is noted that she is intimidated by them. Jaina Solo, Sword of the Jedi, a Jedi Knight who not only fought the Empire before the age of 10, a veteran of the Yuuzhan Vong War, Dark Nest crisis, and countless other struggle of galactic importance, is intimidated by a group of thugs (albeit well trained ones) who are drinking in a bar.

Yet, despite being the leader of Rogue Squadron, and by all accounts one of the best pilots of her time, Mandalorians are apparently better.

Just like they are constantly able to best her in combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations
"It was over in two seconds flat and he hadn't even used the blade... It was the first time she had been taken down in a saber fight of any kind in years."
One fight in this book has her unable to sense the movements of her Mandalorian opponent, again, perhaps unsurprisingly, flooring her instantly. Perhaps it was a one off, or perhaps the Mandalorian was secretly a Yuuzhan Vong. There’s no explanation as to how Mandalorians can’t be read by Jedi (or perhaps there is, so I’ll concede that point if that is the case).

Constantly, the Mandalorians beat her into a pulp, because, again, they’re superior to a Jedi in every way (that’s something I’ll discuss later, though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations
Mirta shouldn't have been able to beat a Jedi's reaction time. But she did."


There is even a point when the elite Mandalorians manage to board Darth Caedus’ flagship, killing everything in their path (taking no casualties, thanks to their ubiquitous beskar’gam), and manage to corner and wound him. A Sith Lord. But they don’t kill him. They did, however, totally manage to wound him because they’re awesome.
Now, on second reading, it seems as if my main dispute is that the Mandalorians can beat Jaina at all. It isn't. I don't expect her to be invincible, but then again, neither should the Mandalorians. Traviss doesn't even try to make the fights seem fair.

And all of this is compounded by her rather obvious bias against the Jedi.

Again, apologies for length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Traviss
I see Vader as a tragic character who's been betrayed by everyone, and I can't help thinking of the Jedi as self-serving unelected elitist spoon-benders making whoopee on Republic taxpayers' credits. It's an iconoclastic journo world-view. Believe me, Order 66 was long overdue. I have a couple of Jedi that I don't want to shoot on sight, but they're my own creations, so I could make them a little humbler and more aware of the consequences they create for others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Traviss
Getting into Jedi heads was that much harder. But I swore I could get into the most repellent characters' heads and see them as they see themselves, so I had to. I still wouldn't trust the Jedi Council with my wallet, let alone with running my country, but you won't spot that in the books. I keep my spoonbenderist views to myself.
Except she didn’t. At every turn, Traviss seemingly does her best to vilify and demonise the Jedi, turning them into space Nazis, without offering any alternative viewpoint of them. They’re evil, end of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations
"I left the order because I couldn't stomach how we talked about compassion and then turned a blind eye to using human clones for our slave army... I did whatever I could to atone for the wrong the Jedi did to these men."
Of course, it’s not like the Mandalorians have ever kept slaves, is it? Never mind the fact that the Jedi had nothing to do with the creation of the Clones.

And that is just one of the many lectures by an ex-Jedi turned Mandalorian on how evil the Jedi really are. Yet not once is the Jedi he is lecturing allowed to defend herself. No, she just stands there, and either has no answer, or agrees with everything he says. Even the Jedi characters in her books, her own creations, believe they are evil. They’re evil, end of story.

So much of the three LotF books written by Traviss is taken up by pure hatred (apart from when it’s taken up by guff about Mandalorians) towards the Jedi, and again, no alternative viewpoint is given. They’re evil, end of story.

At one point, Traviss even accused fans of the Jedi of being as bad as neo-Nazis (and before you ask for proof, it's here). Which brings me to my next point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVicous
I thought she quit becase they were going to completely change the canon to most of the work she's done regarding her writing in the PT era?
Again, apologies for length, and possible irrelevance, but I think I covered some of that below -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself
5 – Karen Traviss is not a nice person

Rather like the fans she has christened Fandalorians, Ms. Traviss seemed to have a hard time accepting any criticism of her works, even going so far as to name them ‘Talifans’. But I suppose that's alright, they are Jedi fans, after all, so they’re evil, end of story.

Let’s look at the word that’s based on – Taliban. The Taliban are an extremist organisation which is currently engaged in acts of terrorism across Afghanistan and Pakistan. Apparently, the criticism levelled at her by Star Wars fans is so hurtful that it warrants a name that evokes a Terrorist organisation.

That’s not even mentioning her accusations that fans were sexist when they said she hadn’t researched the topic well enough (which is true enough, she proudly claimed that she had never read any Star Wars material, and wouldn't), or any of the other insults she hurled at fans who offered valid criticisms (again, insults that have been deleted).

And, let’s not forget her exit from the Star Wars franchise. She left because she was unhappy with the direction the Clone Wars TV series was taking with numerous things, and that it made some of her work irrelevant (which has been proven not to be case in some areas). I find it hypocritical that she should leave over retconning (which is a laughable claim - she say herself she left over 'contractual' issues - i.e. money), when she was responsible for many retcons, completely ignoring many of the early sources of information concerning Mandalorians (going as far back as the novelisation of The Empire Strikes Back, for instance). The way she behaved was as if she had invented the Mandalorians from the ground up. She didn’t, and to claim so is laughable. She certainly invented them in their current warriors-with-a-heart-of-gold-and-awesome-armour guise, but that was only through ignorance of previously established sources.

To add insult to injury, she left before she could finish her Republic Commando series. If, as she has often claimed, she really cared about the series and its fans, surely she would’ve at least seen that through? Unfortunately, throwing her toys out of the pram was more important.
Her work has not been completely retconned. The Mandalorians she created still exist - they are the 'True Mandalorians'. I don't see why that's so hard for most of her fans to understand or accept. The Star Wars universe is plenty big enough for there to be different clans of Mandalorians, but it seems that, to her fans, at least, unless they're wearing three inch thick plot armour and spouting out badly formed words, they're not 'proper' Mandalorians.

I apologise for the length, and possible tone of this post - I could have linked to my original post, but that would have included arguments that aren't relevant to this discussion. I'm not trying to beat you into submission that our viewpoint is the right one, just trying to elaborate the main grievances that some of us have when it comes to Karen Traviss and her works.

I don't have a problem with people liking her books, and it's great that they got you back into Star Wars again. It's simply that some of the things she's done, or introduced to Star Wars are completely against the grain. And, just like many of her fans would like to see TCW and their sect of the Mandalorians retconned, there are those of us who would rather see Traviss' work either retconned or toned down.

But it's not all completely lost if you're a fan of Ms. Traviss - I hear she's writing Gears of War 3, and from what I hear, her books based on GoW are just as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
To be fair, it makes some sense that a heavily armed and armored guy could blow his way out of the Sarlacc.
Perhaps, but he shouldn't have survived the second time he fell into the bloody thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primogen View Post
How do the Mandalorians survive, I wonder? Can you sustain an entire planet on the income of mercenaries? If they have a homeworld, the homeworld must have a permanent population. And you can't have a Mandalorian farmer or trader, they're all warriors, right?
Farming. Seriously. When they're not off laying waste to enemies for the highest bidder, they're farming.







Last edited by Astor; 04-12-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #151
mstr kenobi
Rookie
 
mstr kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Posts: 165
Wow, it's incredible that an entire race got madly overrated, because of one guy who is madly overrated.

And order 66 justified??? Is this woman insane???
The Jedi are a bit off, working for the government has made them a bit bureaucratic, instead of pure monks, but that's no excuse to wipe them out, and it doesn't make them evil, they still mean well.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
To be fair, it makes some sense that a heavily armed and armored guy could blow his way out of the Sarlacc.
I really have to take a good look inside a Sarlacc before commenting on that, during ROTJ however, it seemed like certain death, even for a Jedi.

Is that thing that we go inside during TFU a Sarlacc???
mstr kenobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #152
Lynk Former
internet hate machine
 
Lynk Former's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,979
10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I take back what I said before... Star Wars does need to die...


I mean seriously, the last page of this thread...


Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #153
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,365

CONTINUE.


Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #154
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,052
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I take back what I said before... Star Wars does need to die...



Chill out, but another shrimp on the barbie and relax.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #155
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,365
NOW I understand what the 'barbie' is supposed to be. >_>


Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #156
Lynk Former
internet hate machine
 
Lynk Former's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,979
10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I don't... I'm not a white cliché Australian you see in advertising campaigns...

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #157
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?
 
Liverandbacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 651
Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
Perhaps, but he shouldn't have survived the second time he fell into the bloody thing.
Wait what? I didn't know there was a second time. How do you manage to fall into a giant, easily visible, immobile hole twice? Never mind the implausibility of escaping twice after clearly demonstrating an utter lack of common sense.

Another reason I'm ok with him escaping (the first time) is that even Lucas thought that his death was too mundane, and considered adding a shot of him climbing out. Then he decided that would interrupt the action (fair enough), so left that scene out, putting a burp joke in instead.



--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #158
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.
 
Darth InSidious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Eleven-Day Empire
Posts: 5,775
Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post

CONTINUE.

YESTERDAY.


TOMORROW.



Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #159
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy
 
Hallucination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,875
Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
Show spoiler

FRIDAY.


Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #160
Primogen
Junior Member
 
Primogen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 285
Current Game: The Witcher
To be fair, I kinda see what she says about the Clones - slave soldiers used as cannon fodder with no one really questioning the ethics of it. It bugs me that Obi-Wan, Anakin, Yoda, -nobody- is like 'Dude, wtf are we doing?'

But Traviss is still a psychotic hack.


The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Am I the only one who thinks Star Wars should die?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:01 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.