lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Am I the only one who thinks Star Wars should die?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #161
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination View Post

FRIDAY.
You know, I find the whole 'friday' thing hilarious. Not the song (there are too many bad songs out there to get upset/excited about one), but people's reactions, and the result of those reactions. I'm not sure why it's news that some random 13 year old is a terrible singer with utterly vapid ideas of what's important, but I guess I'm missing something. The joke's on the people mocking her, showing their friends 'that terrible music video', and even buying it on iTunes for 'ironic' listening. While they're feeding some sense of superiority over a 13 year old, they're making her a lot of money. Going by the amount YouTube pays 'partners' for views, she's made over $68,000 from the video already. From sales on iTunes in the first week alone, she made about $25,000. Even if it dropped off sharply after a few weeks, she's already made well over $100,000, and got masses of publicity. That puts this 13 year old girl ahead of ~94% of Americans in terms of personal income per year.

TL;DR: While the people mocking Black are thinking about how much better than her they are, they're wasting their time and money in order to give some to her. I'm pretty sure she's won here. She's smarter than anyone who's watched the video willingly more than once.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #162
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
You know, I find the whole 'friday' thing hilarious. Not the song (there are too many bad songs out there to get upset/excited about one), but people's reactions, and the result of those reactions. I'm not sure why it's news that some random 13 year old is a terrible singer with utterly vapid ideas of what's important, but I guess I'm missing something. The joke's on the people mocking her, showing their friends 'that terrible music video', and even buying it on iTunes for 'ironic' listening. While they're feeding some sense of superiority over a 13 year old, they're making her a lot of money. Going by the amount YouTube pays 'partners' for views, she's made over $68,000 from the video already. From sales on iTunes in the first week alone, she made about $25,000. Even if it dropped off sharply after a few weeks, she's already made well over $100,000, and got masses of publicity. That puts this 13 year old girl ahead of ~94% of Americans in terms of personal income per year.

TL;DR: While the people mocking Black are thinking about how much better than her they are, they're wasting their time and money in order to give some to her. I'm pretty sure she's won here. She's smarter than anyone who's watched the video willingly more than once.
What I find hilarious is 1) that her parents paid for her to have access to a studio whose goal is to give kids experience recording in a proper studio with songs that are allegedly written by professional songwriters 2) that the guy who rapped about passing school buses is called Fat Usher and 3) that the combined forces of the internet felt it necessary to make fun of a 13 year old girl.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #163
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
What I find hilarious is 1) that her parents paid for her to have access to a studio whose goal is to give kids experience recording in a proper studio with songs that are allegedly written by professional songwriters 2) that the guy who rapped about passing school buses is called Fat Usher and 3) that the combined forces of the internet felt it necessary to make fun of a 13 year old girl.
1) Meh, kids parents do stupid **** with their money all the time.
2) OK, that's actually pretty funny. Didn't know it.
3) Pretty much what I found funny, but I added 'and they're making her rich', and said it in a really longwinded way. Those internet commando teams are pretty badass though, always bringing the fight to those no one else will face, like preteen girls, in the name of preserving all our serious business.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2011, 03:34 AM   #164
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Around the end of 2008 I started to get mixed feelings of the franchise as a whole, with the disappointment of The Force Unleashed(I was beyond hyped for the game) and The Clone Wars(which I started watching again in its third season and now enjoy) I could no longer call Star Wars my favorite thing in the world because I had so many mixed feelings going on with the direction the franchise was heading in. But I don't think Star Wars should die as long as their is a audience. Alot of the stories on The Clone Wars is better than what George came up with the prequels, George creates alot of the ideas and somebody else does the job of writing them.

IMO George Lucas has great ideas but not the best writing skills these days(as evident with KOTCS and the Prequel Trilogy). The Expanded Universe is forever growing with great stories here and there and I think will remain that way for a long time. But sometimes I think its best to just watch the Original Trilogy and forget everything else ever existed.

Short answer: Should Star Wars die? No.
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2011, 04:08 AM   #165
Primogen

Current Game: The Witcher
The problem is that George Lucas has no barriers anymore. No one to tell him that 'Sorry, George, that's a stupid idea, rewrite the draft and get rid of the rabbit alien that sounds like a racist caricature.'

The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #166
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Current Game: Skyrim
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primogen View Post
The problem is that George Lucas has no barriers anymore. No one to tell him that 'Sorry, George, that's a stupid idea, rewrite the draft and get rid of the rabbit alien that sounds like a racist caricature.'
You mean this one?

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #167
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

I'm not gonna lie, Jaxxon is awesome. They should have put him in the prequels instead of Jar Jar.
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #168
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Now George doesn't seem so crazy...

Old 04-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #169
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
NOW I understand what the 'barbie' is supposed to be. >_>
What did you think it meant?

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #170
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:

FRIDAY.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #171
Giant Graffiti
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Now George doesn't seem so crazy...
Y'know, I kinda wonder why people talk about the EU like it suddenly got completely insane in the past couple of years when it's been pretty crazy since the beginning. (With stuff like Splinter of the Mind's Eye and the Marvel Star Wars comics.)
Giant Graffiti is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2011, 12:36 AM   #172
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gιygαs View Post
Y'know, I kinda wonder why people talk about the EU like it suddenly got completely insane in the past couple of years when it's been pretty crazy since the beginning. (With stuff like Splinter of the Mind's Eye and the Marvel Star Wars comics.)
Well said.

Or that things are only now trampling canon for that matter.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:24 AM   #173
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
There is a difference between Strange idea, thinking outside the box... and forgettable samey stories and me blushing when being referred to as a Star Wars fan now.

I have no problem that Authors add elements to stories that weren't apparent in the source material, or make up an language and gary stu a race then rageQuit the franchise.
I do on the other hand, have a problem with Dave filoni "Needing" to include EU elements in TCW then GL will change them, all under the disguise of "Its all for the EU fans". FCS make up a new Character, Planet whatever, why involve EU material that the core of your viewers have neither read nor care about.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #174
Alexrd

Current Game: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 HD
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
I have no problem that Authors add elements to stories that weren't apparent in the source material, or make up an language and gary stu a race then rageQuit the franchise.
Oh, I do.

At least Mando's in TCW are not "a bunch of Boba Fett's" (and I'm not talking about armor).

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #175
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Have you read the Legacy of the Force, and the Republic Commando Novels Alex?

Old 04-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #176
Primogen

You aren't missing out if you haven't read either. Legacy of the Force is essentially a nine-book flushing of several characters down the drain in more ways than one. Republic Commando starts out strong with Hard Contact, and Triple Zero isn't bad, but True Colors and Order 66 are both godawful.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #177
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Not my point, I just want to know if he's read them as there is a culture of people reading in a forum "Post ROTJ Sucks!", then going to another forum and just parroting "Post ROTJ Sucks!".

I think LOTF is a Long series, But the major plot points are great Star Wars IMO, but I have closure on these, so we can agree to disagree.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:02 AM   #178
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Bleah... I've rewatched TPM today and have started actually watching all of the eps of The Clone Wars CGI series... I like TCW series better than TPM... it's become painful to watch actually... it's pretty depressing.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2011, 10:00 AM   #179
Primogen

The great plot points? Jacen, a guy who in the NJO basically became Force Jesus, turns evil for no readily apparent reason? No, that is not 'great plot', that's what's called stupidity.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #180
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
I have closure on these, so we can agree to disagree.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #181
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
That's quitter talk! I say we pit people against each other in caged matches TO THE DEATH and bet on which one will make it out alive.

It is the ONLY way.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #182
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

In real life I'm pretty sure I could kicks all yo A's, but I cant dedicate anymore of my life to arguing over old Star Wars books man, we gotta climb out of our holes and get some sun on our backs man!

Old 04-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #183
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Quote:
...we gotta climb out of our holes and get some sun on our backs man!
What is this sun you speak of?

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #184
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChAiNz.2da View Post
What is this sun you speak of?

Old 04-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #185
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
Quote:

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #186
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
At least Mando's in TCW are not "a bunch of Boba Fett's" (and I'm not talking about armor).
Yeah, even though many tried to **** all over that I found the idea of a diverse group of people refreshing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd
I think LOTF is a Long series, But the major plot points are great Star Wars IMO, but I have closure on these, so we can agree to disagree.
I thought it started out well and had a good premise, but went completely off the rails near the end, to the point were I didn't read the last book or two of the series and swore off further post-ROTJ novels. But that's just me.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #187
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #188
mstr kenobi
Rookie

View page
YouTube Video

The best thing to come out of Star Wars in the last few years lol
mstr kenobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-29-2011, 03:09 AM   #189
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
Teal'c Indeeeeeeeed!
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #190
Mandalorian Knight
Rookie

On the subject of Karen Traviss, I've only read the up through the 501st. I am ignorant of just about everything that takes place after ROTJ.
The premise seems sound, but the Mandalorians definitely became overpowered. That being said, I really enjoy how she fleshed the clones out as individuals and did make me question the legitimacy of a clone army.
Personally, I think that there should be a happy medium. The movies revolve primarily around Jedi (not exclusively, Han and Chewbacca are excellent non-Jedi characters). Because Jedi are so central to the story, they get put up on a pedestal as being invincible. Again, they aren't, but your average Jedi pretty much steamrolls over all competition, which makes the majority of non-Force users seem like cannon fodder. Conversely, you have the Republic Commando series. Instead of attempting to turn Jedi into mortals with extraordinary abilities that are also the good guys, the series elevates another group to semi-mythical status and then makes them out to be the heroes of the galaxy.
How about instead of filling the galaxy with super powered factions, we tone everyone back down a bit? The prequels, for all there faults, did a good job of balancing the super hero status of Jedi in TOS with Jedi that could actually be killed.
When you get right down to it, Jedi are mortal. I think the best balance would be something like in TSL, where Jedi are very dangerous, but with enough training (like Atton had) they can be defeated by non-Force sensitive soldiers.
Also, if I had known about all the hate for the Republic Commando series, maybe I would have chosen a different username and picture; it makes it kind of obvious that I enjoyed the books
Mandalorian Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #191
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
Seems like a thinly veiled way of saying 'I don't like The Clone Wars'.
(rips veil) I DON'T like the clone wars, and I don't think Star Wars should/will die anytime soon - it's fanbase will see to that and basically as long as Lucas is profiting from the franchise it will live on in some form. I would still prefer for the novels to keep coming as they are usually actually interesting and introduce good characters & plot points (when Lucas doesn't decide that the entire story needs to be whitewashed with more clone wars and basically turns the whole novel series into fanon).
Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #192
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I finally watched all of the clone wars, from the movie to the very last episode released so far.

I still think all of those clone wars games are STUPID.

But the TV series itself is not as bad as people make it out to be. It certainly not as good as the original clone wars series, but it's not OMG, I'll cut my own penis off to make them take it off the air!" bad.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #193
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian Knight View Post
On the subject of Karen Traviss, I've only read the up through the 501st. I am ignorant of just about everything that takes place after ROTJ.
The premise seems sound, but the Mandalorians definitely became overpowered. That being said, I really enjoy how she fleshed the clones out as individuals and did make me question the legitimacy of a clone army.
Personally, I think that there should be a happy medium. The movies revolve primarily around Jedi (not exclusively, Han and Chewbacca are excellent non-Jedi characters). Because Jedi are so central to the story, they get put up on a pedestal as being invincible. Again, they aren't, but your average Jedi pretty much steamrolls over all competition, which makes the majority of non-Force users seem like cannon fodder. Conversely, you have the Republic Commando series. Instead of attempting to turn Jedi into mortals with extraordinary abilities that are also the good guys, the series elevates another group to semi-mythical status and then makes them out to be the heroes of the galaxy.
How about instead of filling the galaxy with super powered factions, we tone everyone back down a bit? The prequels, for all there faults, did a good job of balancing the super hero status of Jedi in TOS with Jedi that could actually be killed.
When you get right down to it, Jedi are mortal. I think the best balance would be something like in TSL, where Jedi are very dangerous, but with enough training (like Atton had) they can be defeated by non-Force sensitive soldiers.
Also, if I had known about all the hate for the Republic Commando series, maybe I would have chosen a different username and picture; it makes it kind of obvious that I enjoyed the books
Seeing as I seem to have become Traviss Basher No. 1, I can say you've got nothing to worry about.

I largely agree about the need for a happy medium. But it's important that the Jedi are the super heroes - it's pretty much the first rule of Star Wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former
But the TV series itself is not as bad as people make it out to be. It certainly not as good as the original clone wars series, but it's not OMG, I'll cut my own penis off to make them take it off the air!" bad.
Fortunately those sorts of fans seem to be in the minority in the fandom at large, and we shouldn't take people with self mutilation issues seriously in the first place.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #194
Mandalorian Knight
Rookie

I suppose it comes down to preference. I still love the movies and I always will

As far as The Clone Wars goes, I haven't followed it religiously or anything, but the episodes that I have seen were pretty good. Star Wars seems to have an appeal to all ages, in this case it just appears to appeal more so to younger viewers than previous examples.
One thing that I was a bit peeved about though: the seemed to make the bulk of Mandalorians pacifists or neutralists (if that is a word), if I remember correctly. Even disregarding Traviss's work to make them unstoppable, just about all the other EU paints them as extremely capable warriors. It seems to be a bit of a slap in the face to just turn Canderous Ordo's people into what they were in the show.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #195
Alexrd

Current Game: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 HD
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian Knight View Post
just about all the other EU paints them as extremely capable warriors.
The series itself paints them the same way.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #196
Mandalorian Knight
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
The series itself paints them the same way.
You are correct, I misspoke. I should have said that they seem less war-like in the Clone Wars series. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't maintaining Mandalore's neutrality a major plot point? As I've said, I haven't seen all the episodes but from what I remember, the Death Watch seemed to be closer to the Ordo style Mandalorian than the regular citizen on Mandalore during the cartoon.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Am I the only one who thinks Star Wars should die?