lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: The Phantom Menace - trouble on XP
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
florida
Rookie

The Phantom Menace - trouble on XP

Hi everyone

TPM is such a great game and I remember playing it for hours when I was younger.

I'm trying to get it to work on my current PC, which is four years old and uses XP. I remember I've played it on here perfectly before, but now it doesn't work properly. It installs and starts ok, but when I start the actual game, the frame rate is pretty low (even with all graphics options at the lowest) and after a couple of minutes parts of the game go black, and then the whole screen, though it still plays sounds and the menu will come up.

On Vista (a brand new laptop of my parents'), when you try to install it says something close to 'Cannot launch setup. Launch setup.exe directly from the CD'

Trying that, it then says that it's not compatible with that version of windows.

My PC (bought 2007):
Pentium D
3 ghz
1 gb RAM
Nvidia Geforce 210
Lots of memory

As I say, when I last played it, probably a couple of years ago, it worked fine. I replaced my graphics card last year and this is the first time I've tried TPM since then, so that might have something to do with it.

I try not to have any applications running whilst playing. I've tried doing a clean reboot, but it's still the same.

I've also tried compatibility mode, but that makes it even worse. It loads the first level, then the intro video comes up. Skipping that, there's that 'bleep' and I minimise to find an error message on the desktop saying 'WMAIN.EXE could not load on a non Windows NT system. Performance Monitor Extension DLL for CLR. This can only be used on Windows NT'

Any other info you want? Any ideas?
florida is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
What version of Direct X are you using?

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
florida
Rookie

Version 9.0c, according to dxdiag
florida is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > The Phantom Menace - trouble on XP