lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Need good books for Research Paper
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-18-2011, 06:34 AM   #1
Canaan Sadow
Junior Member
 
Canaan Sadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Endor
Posts: 366
Current Game: Pokemon & K2
Need good books for Research Paper

Okay, well I'm kind of on the borderline of asking about this, because I don't want to bring about a huge debate about the morality of the situation... however, I am doing a research "Argument" paper in my English 1 class for college and my topic is Pro Gay-Marriage. I've found a few sources that I can use and I've also found the counter-argument I'm going to use that is Anti Gay-Marriage... however, I need to find out about the history of same-sex marriage. For instance, how long it's been against the law (because at one time, it was actually a Christian ordained deal, gays were allowed to marry one another), public polls and what not. If anyone could possibly give me a source, I'd be forever greatful. The rough draft is due tomorrow, but the actual paper is due next week, so feel free to post throughout next monday.
Canaan Sadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey
 
Mav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: A House
Posts: 4,043
Current Game: SWTOR
Back when I was in school, we went to the library to do research... I feel old. Serious advice, I assume your college has a library and I'll also assume they have an online "card catalogue," I'd start there.


"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
Jamps
Junior Member
 
Jamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 440
My college library has something called ProQuest, which basically delivers tons of reliable sources right to you. As Mav said, head over to the library. Ask the librarian if they have anything like that, most colleges do. Good luck!
Jamps is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
Canaan Sadow
Junior Member
 
Canaan Sadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Endor
Posts: 366
Current Game: Pokemon & K2
I've got several books already, I just wanted to see if there were more that I might have possibly missed. xD And my college has a rather... limited supply of books on the topic, enough to do my paper, but just barely... so I was also considering going online and ordering books for use. I dunno, I just don't want to waste money on a book that's not going to help at all, so yeah.
Canaan Sadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #5
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,047
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael'thas Solo View Post
limited supply of books on the topic.
I would imagine any library would have a limited number of books on the topic. I would do as Mav and Jamps suggested and go to the library and seach the online content. Most likely they will have access to different magazine articles and research studies. I often find reading magazines articles while doing research helps me find dates or names of studies and then I can look up the actual study. I would also concentrate on finding information on articles/studies from counties where it is legal.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #6
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective
 
Bob Lion54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the case! Both my minds!
Posts: 2,103
Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael'thas Solo View Post
I don't want to bring about a huge debate about the morality of the situation...
Any paper that you can say that about is a very dangerous paper to write. Your grade is just as likely to reflect your adherence to your professor's viewpoints on the subject as it is to reflect the quality of the work itself.

When I had to write papers arguing something, I always used a topic that wasn't controversial. Once, I wrote a paper on how Football builds character. I told my teacher beforehand that I was going to find a way to fit the word "antidisestablishmentarianism" in it, and I did. It was epic. Epic, I tell you.

So, general college advice. Anything your professor believes is "fact" and if you write or say anything contradicting their "facts" you are likely to get a failing grade, no matter the quality of the work.

It might work out for you this time, but when you write a paper on a controversial topic, at best your professor will grade it as if they were grading a physics paper. You're unlikely to extra points for arguing what they already believe. You will, many times, lose points for arguing against their beliefs, however.


Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #7
Achilles
Dapper Chimp
 
Achilles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,204
Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamps View Post
My college library has something called ProQuest, which basically delivers tons of reliable sources right to you.
Also, EBSCOHost.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2011, 03:44 AM   #8
Canaan Sadow
Junior Member
 
Canaan Sadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Endor
Posts: 366
Current Game: Pokemon & K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
I would imagine any library would have a limited number of books on the topic. I would do as Mav and Jamps suggested and go to the library and seach the online content. Most likely they will have access to different magazine articles and research studies. I often find reading magazines articles while doing research helps me find dates or names of studies and then I can look up the actual study. I would also concentrate on finding information on articles/studies from counties where it is legal.
This is true. Hmmm... I've always thought of magazine articles as useless, but you do have a valid point. I'm going to start doing that. Thank you, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lion54 View Post
Any paper that you can say that about is a very dangerous paper to write. Your grade is just as likely to reflect your adherence to your professor's viewpoints on the subject as it is to reflect the quality of the work itself.

When I had to write papers arguing something, I always used a topic that wasn't controversial. Once, I wrote a paper on how Football builds character. I told my teacher beforehand that I was going to find a way to fit the word "antidisestablishmentarianism" in it, and I did. It was epic. Epic, I tell you.

So, general college advice. Anything your professor believes is "fact" and if you write or say anything contradicting their "facts" you are likely to get a failing grade, no matter the quality of the work.

It might work out for you this time, but when you write a paper on a controversial topic, at best your professor will grade it as if they were grading a physics paper. You're unlikely to extra points for arguing what they already believe. You will, many times, lose points for arguing against their beliefs, however.
Well she wanted us to find controversial topics. That was the point of the assignment. So I doubt she'd drop my grade if my viewpoints differ from hers, she never has before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Also, EBSCOHost.
Argh. I forgot about that site. I used that all the time in High School. xD Thank ya for reminding me
Canaan Sadow is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,047
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael'thas Solo View Post
Well she wanted us to find controversial topics. That was the point of the assignment. So I doubt she'd drop my grade if my viewpoints differ from hers, she never has before.
Ah to be young and naďve. She may do her best not to grade with bias, but if you write the same quality of paper with two different viewpoints. I could almost guarantee that the one that supported her position would get the higher grade. It has nothing to do with a teacher trying to be fair, it is strictly human nature.

In college I was usually dishonest in doing research papers. I would talk to the professor about the project and the subject I had chosen until I had some clue about their position on the topic and then tailor my topic to their position. You would think that finance and accounting that doing this would not be difficult. However, the best paper I ever wrote was on the collapse of Enron. Too bad, I didn’t take the time to follow my usual plan because the Professors’ daughter actually worked for Enron before its demise. Got an “A minus” on the paper even though my facility advisor said it was a definite “A”.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?
 
Liverandbacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 651
Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Ah to be young and naïve. She may do her best not to grade with bias, but if you write the same quality of paper with two different viewpoints. I could almost guarantee that the one that supported her position would get the higher grade. It has nothing to do with a teacher trying to be fair, it is strictly human nature.

In college I was usually dishonest in doing research papers. I would talk to the professor about the project and the subject I had chosen until I had some clue about their position on the topic and then tailor my topic to their position. You would think that finance and accounting that doing this would not be difficult. However, the best paper I ever wrote was on the collapse of Enron. Too bad, I didn’t take the time to follow my usual plan because the Professors’ daughter actually worked for Enron before its demise. Got an “A minus” on the paper even though my facility advisor said it was a definite “A”.
True most of the time, but not always. I still have no idea where my politics tutor (not same as 'tutor' in the American sense, it means a prof that has 2:1 student:teacher classes with you in addition to large lectures) at uni fell on the political spectrum. No matter what side a classmate or I might argue for, he'd always find a way to make a very convincing argument for the opposite side. I experimented by writing essays from all sorts of political viewpoints, and he graded them all fairly, based on the strength of the argument itself. My AP European history (and also military history elective) teacher in high school also graded papers against his opinions fairly, though it was much easier to see what he believed than it was with my uni tutor.

Those were the two best teachers I've ever had though, and most did what you say, mostly subconsciously (I think).



--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,047
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
True most of the time, but not always.
Which was the exact reason I wrote "almost."

Also had two professors that I never could get a handle on how they felt about a subject. It is some what uncommon for me not to be able to pick up someone feeling about something conservational, but I never could figure out either professor (although there really isn’t much conservational about Statistics). I actually thought the Statistics professor disliked me until I got a call for a job interview 2 years later saying he recommended me. The other professor taught psychology, not getting a read on him didn’t really surprise me.

Last edited by mimartin; 04-19-2011 at 07:51 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
JediMaster12
Dum Spiramus Tuebimur
 
JediMaster12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Buried in books...literally
Posts: 5,933
Current Game: Assassin's Creed
LFN Staff Member Veteran Fan Fic Author Contest winner - Fan Fiction Forum Veteran 
Well if you are looking for sources, also play around with journal articles. They usually have, especially in the lit review section, good references to movements and other sources. Then you can backtrack by looking at the resources page.

I did a content analysis on same-sex marriage and my focus was on the political ads regarding prop 8. Looking up the history of this battle, it has been an ongoing one. I suggest using google to locate repuatble newpaper sources like Times as well as look in the library on political movements. If you had a specific focus I could give a bit more.

JediMaster12 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere
 
jawathehutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,635
Current Game: Age of Empires II
Sociological abstracts has a lot about gay marriage, go to your library, if you have library that doesn't suck you should be able to get a few articles from it



"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?
 
Liverandbacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 651
Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Which was the exact reason I wrote "almost."
Clearly I can't read. Probably because a biased English teacher in kindergarten didn't want me to read other opinions.



--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
Darth333
Administraterror
 
Darth333's Avatar
 
Status: Administrator
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In my secret dungeon...
Posts: 8,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kael'thas Solo View Post
This is true. Hmmm... I've always thought of magazine articles as useless, but you do have a valid point. I'm going to start doing that. Thank you, sir.
Magazines and research papers can be an invaluable resource...just make sure you check who's the author: there is a matter of credibility but also for the reasons expressed by mimartin.

I once chose a very obscure topic and only found two articles discussing it. One of them was an old article published in a legal review and was not signed...In my paper, I went on and on about how I considered that the author couldn't be more wrong only to find out later that my professor was the author of the article I still got a good grade but it was embarrassing!
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Need good books for Research Paper

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.