lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the series?
Boston Bruins in 4 0 0%
Boston Bruins in 5 0 0%
Boston Bruins in 6 0 0%
Boston Bruins in 7 2 10.53%
Vancouver Canucks in 4 1 5.26%
Vancouver Canucks in 5 1 5.26%
Vancouver Canucks in 6 0 0%
Vancouver Canucks in 7 0 0%
Yoda on Ice 15 78.95%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Stanley Cup Finals: Boston Bruins vs Vancouver Canucks
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #41
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Ahto pretty much is a synonym for boredom. It thrives on it.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #42
Negative Sun
Death to all but metal!

Current Game: NWN
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
It's the Selkath, they don't thrill or excite very much do they?

"I killed a man cause he killed my goat."
Negative Sun is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #43
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
If there were other people having a serious discussion about it here, I may have stayed out of it to not disturb them.
No you wouldn't.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #44
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

THAT'S DIFFERENT, IT'S CALLED JOINING A DISCUSSION!!!!

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-09-2011, 04:00 AM   #45
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Either way, no you wouldn't. Nothing could keep *you* from commenting. Or smacking someone with a high stick.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #46
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Calo (deleted post)
this is getting dumb. could a Moderator please lock or delete this thread. sorry I tried to start a conversation about something other than NFL or soccer...
won't make that mistake again.

Sorry, not going to lock the thread at this point. 18 people have voted in your poll. 3 actually voted as if they were interested in hockey. With the series tied at 2 with three games to go (not sure if Hockey is called games or not) someone may actually be interest in posting something hockey related.

Atho is not a serious discussion forum nor is it a sports discussion forum so expecting people to have a serious discussion of sports is wishful thinking at best. Other than the post yesterday questioning my moderating abilities (which I have none). Most of the post in this thread are somewhat dealing with the subject matter even if it is only trying to humorlessly figure out the names of the teams.

If another moderator wants to kill the thread feel free.

I’ll even admit since you posted this topic I have watched the highlights on sportcenter. Usually I turn the channel as soon as they show a sport beyond football (real American FOOTBALL), baseball, basketball or college anything. I thought the series was over when Vancouver was up 2 nothing. Didn’t know home ice was such an advantage.

Moderator note [06-10-2011 10:23 PM]

I will post a somewhat warning: Try to get somewhat back to topic. Anymore post not related to topic and at all will be deleted.

Last edited by mimartin; 06-13-2011 at 10:09 PM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #47
Darth_Calo
Rookie

I wasn't so much expecting them to be interested as dismayed at the number of spam posts. I get the whole idea of the forum not being a serious discussion place. but seriously i wish if people weren't interested they wouldn't post. that's all.

Moderator note [06-13-2011 10:10 PM]

You do know moaning about spam is also spam.

Do not edit or delete a post a moderator (even me) has edited or posted a warning in. It is a rule or something.

"10. Thread/post deletion

The thread deletion feature has been turned off due mainly to the fact that it allowed everyone to delete other people's posts made in the deleted thread. You can ask a moderator to close your thread. Moderators may or may not approve the closure request at their sole discretion.

While you can delete your own posts, do not delete them if a moderator or admin has edited your post for a disciplinary reason. Moderators will notice deleted posts."

Had you asked me first I would have allowed it to be deleted.

Proud of the Six One Seven.
We are Boston. We are strong. We will prevail.

Last edited by mimartin; 06-13-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Darth_Calo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #48
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
3 actually voted as if they were interested in hockey.
2, actually. I voted Vancouver in 5 games because a parrot at the Vancouver Aquarium predicted it, and parrots know their hockey. That and because I'm obligated to do so as a Vancouverite.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-11-2011, 03:14 AM   #49
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius

Current Game: KotOR III
Bruins in 7

Go the Bruins!

Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #50
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Alright I watched the first two periods of game 7 of the Stanley Cup. Someone told me that game 7 was the most intense final of any sports. I have to admit even not understanding the rules it was riveting sports television up until the Bruins scored the 3rd goal. While I donít think it is more exciting than the college football national championship or the Superbowl, I will admit it seems more intense. The last time I watched that much hockey was 02/24/1980 when the USA beat Finland.

One question Vancouver lost, but yet riots broke out? That must be a northern thing. Isnít the rule you riot to celebrate when your team wins? Guess I will never understand it. Houston, a town renowned for being losers in sports, won the NBA title twice and did not riot. We lost the World Series after years of baseball frustration, but again did not riot. Like I wrote, guess that is a northern thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination View Post
2, actually. I voted Vancouver in 5 games because a parrot at the Vancouver Aquarium predicted it, and parrots know their hockey.
Did anyone cook the uneducated hockey parrot in the riot?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #51
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Are you sure you're not confusing rioting with celebrating? Because that's what normally happens when your team wins. At least, in Europe it is. Oh sure, there were riots when Barcelona won the Champions League, but I'm attributing that to the Spanish temperament.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #52
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
Are you sure you're not confusing rioting with celebrating?
Fail to see why Vancouver would celebrate lossing the Stanley Cup.

If that is celebrating, then those Canucks have a very different definition of celebration than they do down here in Texas.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #53
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

No, I was just surprised that you guys think it's normal that rioting happens when your team wins, not when it loses. I'd think rioting in a lot of cases is the result of bad losers who need some distraction by destroying things. That's why I don't think it's weird for riots to happen in Vancouver when they lost. Although I did expect more civility from Canadians.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #54
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

I don't think it is normal that rioting happen when a team wins or loses. I find it stupid. One of the few times I was really proud to live near Houston was when they won back to back NBA Championships. We celebrated, but without the property damage. Drinking, honking horns and flashing boobs are way better than broken windows and burning cars.

Last edited by mimartin; 06-16-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #55
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
Although I did expect more civility from Canadians.
Vancouver is only sometimes in Canada.

And for the record, we also rioted when we lost in 1994 (not that I was there, I was only 3 at the time).

An interesting rumour that made the news last night was that there were reportedly members of the Black Bloq in the crowd, who are semiprofessional vandals and rioters who travel across the country to break stuff at events. They also showed up at last year's Olympics (where it was just them alone and the VPD contained them fairly easily) and, IIRC, the G20 summit in Toronto.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #56
Darth_Calo
Rookie

Vancouver, BC is in Canada - but it is not representative of the country as a whole (that would be like if the Miami fans burned down Miami after Dallas owned them and people said 'I'd expect more civility from Americans' (although you might not...but, oh well))

I for one want to give a heartfelt congratulations to the Canucks - you won the regular season (though I expect that is quite hollow atm) but the injuries took you down. Really, though - congratulations. This was an Epic Stanley Cup Finals; it had it all. blowouts, shutouts, everything. I knew basically from game 1 that it was going 7. The Bruins were just as good as your Canucks, but in different ways.

In closing,

Go Red Sox

~DC

Old 06-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #57
Darth333
Administraterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination View Post
An interesting rumour that made the news last night was that there were reportedly members of the Black Bloq in the crowd, who are semiprofessional vandals and rioters who travel across the country to break stuff at events. They also showed up at last year's Olympics (where it was just them alone and the VPD contained them fairly easily) and, IIRC, the G20 summit in Toronto.
They were not alone this time: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2063729/ . It was a small percentage of the total crowd, but it was unjustifiable.

Quote:
Vancouver, BC is in Canada - but it is not representative of the country as a whole (that would be like if the Miami fans burned down Miami after Dallas owned them and people said 'I'd expect more civility from Americans' (although you might not...but, oh well))
Neither it is representative of Vancouverites in general but sadly, when it comes to hockey, some people seem to lose their minds completely: there were other riots in the past in Vancouver, Edmonton and Montreal after Stanley Cup finals or Stanley Cup division finals. (It didn't happen in Toronto but the Maple Leafs suck...however, if they'd get there I am sure that the situation would be the same).

It's utterly stupid (the riots, not that the Maple Leafs suck). There is no point in vandalizing stores, burning cars and breaking everything else around.
Darth333 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #58
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Calo View Post
Relax, 'twas meant as a joke. Canadians are cool, yo.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #59
Darth_Calo
Rookie

The Vancouver riot was almost a carbon copy of the riot in Vancouver after the '94 SCFs. (although I expect that riot didn't feature a couple...*ahem* enjoying the moment shall we say?)

EDIT - Also: I didn't mean to imply i was taking offense to your joke about Canadians. I am Irish American, born and raised here. Plus, Canadians aren't my favorite people (they're either too nice or too crazy)

A final (albeit slightly off-topic) note
PS: Now the New England Revolution are the team with the longest drought in the scope of Boston/New England Sports teams, having never won the MLS League Championship.
Pats - 2001, 2003, 2004 (won the Super Bowls held in '02, '04, '05)
Sox - 2004, 2007
Celtics - 2007-08 ('08 finals)
Bruins - 2010-11 ('11 finals)

total: 7 titles in 10 years

feels good to be a Bostonian right about now

Last edited by Darth_Calo; 06-16-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Stanley Cup Finals: Boston Bruins vs Vancouver Canucks