lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: American Guard Converts to Islam
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Revan 411
Forumite
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 514
American Guard Converts to Islam

Source

When US soldier Terry Brooks was sent to join military guards at the infamous Guantanamo prison that houses Moslem militants from Taliban and Al-Qaeda, he had not thought he would embrace the religion of those prisoners. After a few chats with a Moroccan inmate, he converted to Islam in 2003.

A simple counter-part to the "Osama is dead" thread.


Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?
 
Liverandbacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 651
Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
While I don't doubt that this could've happened, I can only find one source for this, and saying that someone was "fired" from the army seems a bit fishy.

I'd assume that they mean either an 'other than honorable', bad conduct, or dishonorable discharge, but those don't get handed out lightly, certainly not for an ordinary religious conversion. Either the story's bunk, or Brooks did something dubious during or after his conversion.

I don't care who or what a soldier prays to as long as he'll pull the trigger when the time comes. Unfortunately, given this specific guy's words, I'm not certain he would.



--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere
 
jawathehutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,635
Current Game: Age of Empires II
Good thing they fired him, wouldnt want him converting other good Christian boys against God's chosen nation in this great war we have against the Islams of the Middle East.



"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy
 
Hallucination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,875
Current Game: HKO closed beta
No wonder they fired him, he stopped torturing long enough to talk to the prisoners.


Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,578
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
1) Never trust a site that can't even get the NAME right.
Terry Holdbrooks was the guard.
2) nobody gets "fired" from the military without serious due process. He got an honorable discharge for a "General Personality Disorder." In order for that to happen a base psychiatrist has to get involved. It's not something that can be just thrown out there.
3) There are quite a few Muslim soldiers in our armed forces. Some of them are actually serving at Gitmo.
4) Muslim terrorists are the one fighting a religious war. WE are not. If we were it would actually be a lot simpler, with less worries about offending the perpetually offended Muslims.

Get your facts straight before you rage against the armed forces. Better yet, go ask a soldier if he cares that the guy next to him is a buddhist/muslim/jew/christian, or would he rather just know that he's got his back.

Ugh... and reading up on him... He's a 9/11 truther too... Born from drug addict parents, raised by hippies, yeah... Okay... I'm starting to see why the military gave him a GPD Discharge...

source


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Tommycat; 06-13-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2011, 12:58 AM   #6
Darth Avlectus
Your point?
 
Darth Avlectus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Attack on Titan
Posts: 4,255
Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
^^^ Emirates 24/7? You mean like the United Arab Emirates? The same UAE housing Dubai that tried to buy out our (USA's) national port security under our noses, from George Dubya and would have succeded had the American media not informed us? (One case where I can actually say the American media is the lesser of two evils because it acted in the favor of American people. Just saying.)

Oh no, they aren't slanted. At all. Certainly not like that extremistfairly moderateAmericanized Yahoo! news. Though I am pleased they use the older spelling of "moslem".

Quote:
Brooks said he had first concealed his decision to convert to Islam from other US guards at Guantanamo, adding that when the officer learned about it, he and the other soldiers began to treat him cruelly and accused him of betraying America. Around two years before the end of his contract, he was fired from the army.
Fired? I thought it was discharged without honor when they essentially kick you out of the military? A simple religious conversion would not warrant that. And even in the case that this were true, why have we not heard more about it? I would have thought all the rights activists and groups would be up in arms about this? The American media Fuux Noose and PMSDNC certainly would never miss an opportunity to rile up their audiences. That tells me that maybe there is evidence Mr. Brooks may have done something else to warrant the discharge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
While I don't doubt that this could've happened, I can only find one source for this, and saying that someone was "fired" from the army seems a bit fishy.

I'd assume that they mean either an 'other than honorable', bad conduct, or dishonorable discharge, but those don't get handed out lightly, certainly not for an ordinary religious conversion. Either the story's bunk, or Brooks did something dubious during or after his conversion.

I don't care who or what a soldier prays to as long as he'll pull the trigger when the time comes. Unfortunately, given this specific guy's words, I'm not certain he would.
Seconded because I don't think most military people (nor citizens) care what you believe so long as it doesn't impede you from doing your job and duty to America.

I may be of the crowd who thinks the whole OBL death thing smells fishy, but that doesn't mean I'm turning tail and putting down our military for it.
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR
 
mimartin's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,052
Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
According to Newsweek he was not released from the military until after his time at Guantanamo. When he was released he was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. He was also given a honorable discharge.

Newsweek

Looks like facts are being rewritten to support a book deal to me.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?
 
Liverandbacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 651
Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
1) Never trust a site that can't even get the NAME right.
Terry Holdbrooks was the guard.
I guess that explains why I couldn't find any other sources, only various Muslim organization sites linking to the same article. I was searching with the guy's name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
2) nobody gets "fired" from the military without serious due process. He got an honorable discharge for a "General Personality Disorder." In order for that to happen a base psychiatrist has to get involved. It's not something that can be just thrown out there.
Since the word 'fired' has negative connotations, I assumed he had at least gotten an OTH. The article's author calling an honorable discharge 'getting fired' is at best ignorant, at not-so-good an attempt to rewrite history to promote a book, and at worst an attempt to inflame anger where none is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
3) There are quite a few Muslim soldiers in our armed forces. Some of them are actually serving at Gitmo.
And the vast majority of them are smart enough to realize that we aren't the ones fighting a religious war, and do their jobs well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
4) Muslim terrorists are the one fighting a religious war. WE are not. If we were it would actually be a lot simpler, with less worries about offending the perpetually offended Muslims.
So true. A war against Islam itself would be easier, cheaper (many weapons we use have cheaper and more effective alternatives that we don't use because we want to avoid civilian casualties), and far less complicated. The US isn't at war with Islam, nor is it evil. If we were (at war with Islam OR evil), we'd have won by now. However, we'd also be evil, which would suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Ugh... and reading up on him... He's a 9/11 truther too... Born from drug addict parents, raised by hippies, yeah... Okay... I'm starting to see why the military gave him a GPD Discharge...
Why would anyone who thinks the government orchestrated 9/11 join the military? I can't comprehend the thought process that would lead to such a decision.

Anyway, I'm not really a huge fan of religion (I'm cool with others having it as long as they don't try to force me into it), but maybe getting religion will provide him with the guidance he needs to sort his life out.
Maybe.



--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,578
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Funny thing is, he even says that he never witnessed any torture. Just humiliation... Which while not exactly something that makes us look good(it would be nice if we could do away with it, and that the terrorists would be forthcoming with information), it is still just this side of the legal aspect. He claims to have knowledge of this or that, but when questioned, it becomes what he heard from so-and-so.

As far as I'm concerned he can convert to whatever religion he wants. It's not really surprising that someone who is around a religion all day might come to see it as not as bad as portrayed(especially since Islam is portrayed so poorly now a days). Heck he may even have found that part of himself that was missing in Islam.

I think the facts are being twisted by him to make it seem as though he was treated unfairly because of the choice of religion. But the fact that there have been and still is a Muslim chaplain on base should clue some of us in that it isn't some taboo in the military to be Muslim.

Quite frankly IF we were fighting a war against Islam, ask yourself two questions... What is the most sacred place for Muslims? How long do you think it would take to get a massive bomb over Mecca?


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Tommycat; 06-13-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Funny thing is, he even says that he never witnessed any torture. Just humiliation... Which while not exactly something that makes us look good(it would be nice if we could do away with it, and that the terrorists would be forthcoming with information), it is still just this side of the legal aspect. He claims to have knowledge of this or that, but when questioned, it becomes what he heard from so-and-so.

As far as I'm concerned he can convert to whatever religion he wants. It's not really surprising that someone who is around a religion all day might come to see it as not as bad as portrayed(especially since Islam is portrayed so poorly now a days). Heck he may even have found that part of himself that was missing in Islam.

I think the facts are being twisted by him to make it seem as though he was treated unfairly because of the choice of religion. But the fact that there have been and still is a Muslim chaplain on base should clue some of us in that it isn't some taboo in the military to be Muslim.

Quite frankly IF we were fighting a war against Islam, ask yourself two questions... What is the most sacred place for Muslims? How long do you think it would take to get a massive bomb over Mecca?
Guess it would depend on how far a war escalated. Given that most of the European nations in WW2 were at least nominally Christian, it didn't stop churches from being destroyed. My guess is either unlikely or how far away is the ship parked that nukes Mecca?


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #11
Tommycat
>^..^<
 
Tommycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,578
Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Point is, IF it were a religious war, I don't think we would have any trouble dropping big bombs on religious sites. And we have a LOT of big bombs. And they are actually cheaper than the small bombs we use against strategic targets. Heck there are some pretty massive conventional bombs that would do the trick. Do like the Muslims did during their expansion, blow up a religious site and place your own on top of it.

But that's assuming we threw away all our morals, and went hog wild against Islam... No pun intended... If we were to become sadistic and highly anti-Islam... You know... in short, like Michael Savage would have us prosecute the war.


"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #12
Totenkopf
English spoken in What
 
Totenkopf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: What?
Posts: 4,787
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Point is, IF it were a religious war, I don't think we would have any trouble dropping big bombs on religious sites. And we have a LOT of big bombs. And they are actually cheaper than the small bombs we use against strategic targets. Heck there are some pretty massive conventional bombs that would do the trick. Do like the Muslims did during their expansion, blow up a religious site and place your own on top of it.

But that's assuming we threw away all our morals, and went hog wild against Islam... No pun intended... If we were to become sadistic and highly anti-Islam... You know... in short, like Michael Savage would have us prosecute the war.
I imagine if we end up in a conflict with a bunch of muslim nations, it won't be in the current politically correct style. More likely like WW2, in that it'll be total war all over again....Curtis Lemay/ "Bomber Harris" style (ie virtually no restrictions on targeting). IF that happens, we'll have another 50 or more years of desconstructionists wearing hair shirts, screeching about how amorally/immorally the US behaved.....yet again.

As to OP, meh....so he converted, big deal. As to the motive behind his complaints....it reeks of opportunism.


Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > American Guard Converts to Islam

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.