lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Monkey Island Special Editions coming to stores (in Europe)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
Threepwood4life
Rookie

Monkey Island Special Editions coming to stores (in Europe)

from xbox360achievements.org

Activision has announced that it's set to publish the Monkey Island Special Edition Collection for release later this year, bundling The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition and Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck's Revenge into one neat package with additional bonus content from the Lucasarts vault.

Both games will be available in their entirety on the retail disc, with remastered HD graphics, the remastered score, full voiceover and a hints system to help you out should you get stuck. And yes, you'll still be able to seamlessly switch between the classic and HD versions of the game at the touch of a button, and you'll still get the commentary from creators Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman on Monkey Island 2.

Both full games will come with new, newver-before-seen bonus content on the disc too, including environment and character concept art from the Special Editions and the original and re-recorded soundtracks. There'll also be storyboards and concept art from an Industrial Light & Magic animated Monkey Island movie that never saw the light of day.

Monkey Island Special Edition Collection will be flying the Jolly Roger and setting sail to retail stores on September 9th, 2011. If you can't wait that long though, you could always download the games from the Xbox Live Arcade for 800 Microsoft Points each.

Best news ever and good to see LucasArts MI back in stores.

View my blogs and various news at thedailygamepad.com
Threepwood4life is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
Alex IDV
Rookie

Oh my god, yesssss

Now, I certainly hope that we get a PC/Mac version too

And possibly some new box art

Preferably by Purcell

That would be cool

EDIT:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ion-announced/

"The Monkey Island Special Edition Collection will release on September 9 for PS3, 360 and PC in Europe"

Neat!
Alex IDV is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
sinus
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threepwood4life View Post
Both full games will come with new, newver-before-seen bonus content on the disc too, including environment and character concept art from the Special Editions and the original and re-recorded soundtracks. There'll also be storyboards and concept art from an Industrial Light & Magic animated Monkey Island movie that never saw the light of day.
Neat! And as I haven't played the SEs yet, I'll surely buy it.

zeitgestalten.org ♪♫ adventure game soundtracks
sinus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
My wish has come true.

P.S: Maybe this time they will put the intro back.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2011, 03:47 AM   #5
Sven_Q45
Forumite

Yes, a dream come true. Yesterday I wanted post it.

"There'll also be storyboards and concept art from an Industrial Light & Magic animated Monkey Island movie that never saw the light of day."
Very interesting!!

Last edited by Sven_Q45; 07-09-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Sven_Q45 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-09-2011, 05:32 AM   #6
plamdi.com
Rookie

I hope they've improved Monkey1 SE and corrected the verb-tags for the inventory in Monkey2SE. As it is you can only ever "look" or "use" your items in Monkey2SE, not "give" unless you switch mode; try giving the monocle to Wally.
plamdi.com is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2011, 03:57 AM   #7
Threepwood4life
Rookie

Box art unveiled,

its not bad, they seem to have mixed both games box arts together and that Guybrush looks better than the 1st SE cover version.

http://www.jvn.com/jeux/articles/une...in.html#images

Old 07-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #8
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Uhm... does "Version française intégrale" mean that the speech has been localized as well? Here's hoping for a (good) German dub!

Laserschwert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
Alex IDV
Rookie

While I really like the boxart, LeChuck looks kinda weird, and I think it's due to his pupils.

Quick and dirty edit by me. Doesn't he look much better without the pupils?

Thankfully, this is really easy to photoshop away, so I think I'll scan the box art and print out a pupil-less version of it once the game is released.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
Jenni
Rookie

Current Game: Monkey Island 4 (ResidualVM)
To be honest, I like the version with the pupils better.

Jenni is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
TheJoe
Rookie

I'm kind of struggling to understand how the art managed to get through QA... It's... awful...

I'll get the box anyway, because I want to see the movie stuff. If that wasn't there, the box art would be enough to stop me getting this entirely.

Just compare it to the original... It's a horrible butchering, really... I'm really disappointed here.
TheJoe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
bakana
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoe View Post
I'm kind of struggling to understand how the art managed to get through QA... It's... awful...

I'll get the box anyway, because I want to see the movie stuff. If that wasn't there, the box art would be enough to stop me getting this entirely.

Just compare it to the original... It's a horrible butchering, really... I'm really disappointed here.
The same can sadly be said about the in-game art. The whole thing, especially the first game, is really slipshod and atrocious. Aside from the art direction just being awful an inappropriate, there are unfinished backgrounds, Guybrush walks in front of foreground elements, and the sprite frame rate is lower than the game frame rate resulting in awkward "sliding" while walking. And those are just the visual issues. These "special editions" have converted one of the standard-bearers of the genre into something that belongs in the bargain bin.

bakana is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2011, 01:27 AM   #13
MusiclyInspired

Current Game: Wallace & Grommit
The game underneath is still the same and worthy of attention. Just because the art direction isn't to your liking doesn't mean it's bargain bin material.

No word on a NA release? Also, will they be Steamworks?

"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood, Tales of Monkey Island
MusiclyInspired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2011, 05:31 AM   #14
evilguy
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiclyInspired View Post
The game underneath is still the same and worthy of attention. Just because the art direction isn't to your liking doesn't mean it's bargain bin material.
It's the fact that obviously the games had a low budget and do not look as if they are worth a full price game.
evilguy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #15
TheJoe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakana View Post
The same can sadly be said about the in-game art. The whole thing, especially the first game, is really slipshod and atrocious. Aside from the art direction just being awful an inappropriate, there are unfinished backgrounds, Guybrush walks in front of foreground elements, and the sprite frame rate is lower than the game frame rate resulting in awkward "sliding" while walking. And those are just the visual issues. These "special editions" have converted one of the standard-bearers of the genre into something that belongs in the bargain bin.
Oh, I know. I have both special editions on Steam and I've finished them.

I don't like the art in the first game, but it is vastly improved in the second and I thoroughly enjoyed playing it.
TheJoe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #16
bakana
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilguy View Post
It's the fact that obviously the games had a low budget and do not look as if they are worth a full price game.
Exactly. The original games were top-tier works, with amazing art direction, and amazing execution of that art direction. The remakes (particularly the first) have at best questionable art direction, the execution of which is undeniably cheap and rushed. The original MI box image could have been the cover for a victorian pirate novel. The new MI box image could be the cover for a coloring book in a 99-cent store.

The second one was definitely an improvement. I still wasn't crazy about the art direction, and found it far inferior to Purcell's work, but at least it was well-executed. Actually, now that I finally have Steam, I should pick it up for the developer commentary...
bakana is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #17
MusiclyInspired

The fact that MI2:SE's art was outsourced to China should be some indication of the people currently working at LA.

"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
Old 07-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #18
Threepwood4life
Rookie

Found these German trailers for the Collection mainly showing behind the scenes of the commentary done by Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman and Tim Schafer. Maybe these clips may feature as bonus content perhaps???

View page
YouTube Video

View page
YouTube Video

Last edited by Threepwood4life; 07-20-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #19
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Hot Topic Starter Forum Veteran LFN Staff Member 
I hope so. It'd be nice to be able to watch the commentary with the parts of the game they're talking about shown to us (presumably like it was shown to them), as I really can't be arsed playing it again just for the commentary. I just skipped through that video and it was interesting how Schafer pointed out the whole 'concrete rebars look like tree roots and dirt' thing which we all complained about, which is likely the real reason it got changed.

I approve of this pack hitting stores though. After seeing a big pile of Tales of Monkey Island boxes in the middle of GAME (huge UK chain) it's nice to have the series in stores again for real.

Thrik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #20
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

I hope they release more of those videos . They were better than the actual commentary!

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #21
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Quote:
The fact that MI2:SE's art was outsourced to China should be some indication of the people currently working at LA.
Singapore, I believe?

Old 07-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #22
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Quote:
Box art unveiled,

its not bad, they seem to have mixed both games box arts together and that Guybrush looks better than the 1st SE cover version.

http://www.jvn.com/jeux/articles/une...in.html#images
Definitely better, but sadly still bad. He looks like a cherub that someone has drawn a beard on.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #23
MusiclyInspired

Right, Singapore. I was thinking of Space Quest 1 VGA. That was outsourced the China.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:56 PM   #24
Threepwood4life
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPeel2001 View Post
I hope they release more of those videos . They were better than the actual commentary!
Ask and you shall recieve, heres another one;

View page
YouTube Video

and another;

View page
YouTube Video

These vids should get posted on the front page of the site so more people can see them

Last edited by Threepwood4life; 07-23-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #25
s-island
Music man

The International House of Mojo Staff 
http://mixnmojo.com/news/Monkey-Isla...diovisual-form - newsed.
s-island is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #26
Threepwood4life
Rookie

Play.com have it up for pre-order and here is the full details of whats in the collection;

Play them again for the first time with signature Special Edition features:
  • All new re-imagined contemporary art style presented in glorious HD detail
  • Renewed music score using live instruments
  • Complete voice over that brings the story and characters to life like never before
  • Scene-for-scene hot swap between special edition and classic modes
  • Plus, an in-game puzzle hint system keeps the puzzles fresh and fun

Includes unique all new Special Edition features:

• Intuitive direct-character controls provide a more interactive gameplay experience
  • Interactive object highlights provide quicker clues for useful objects
  • Scene-for-scene Creator commentary by Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer chronicling the original development of Monkey Island 2
  • Plus, an in-game art viewer provides a glimpse of the fantastic artwork generated for the classic and Special Edition games

Plus, special bonus content including never-before-released "making of" materials and your own Monkey Island avatar code:

• Unreleased concept art from both original and SE versions of each game
  • Making of webdocs and CG Trailer
  • Full length remastered game soundtracks
  • Complete director commentary with Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman
  • ILM animated film storyboard

Don't ask why Grossmans name isn't mentioned in the scene-by-scene commentary quote, that'll be a mistake on Play.coms part.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:42 AM   #27
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Superb.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:17 AM   #28
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

Ah, complete commentary. I like boxes and I will be getting this!

Quote:
Plus, special bonus content including never-before-released "making of" materials and your own Monkey Island avatar code:

[*] Unreleased concept art from both original and SE versions of each game
[*] Making of webdocs and CG Trailer
[*] Full length remastered game soundtracks
[*] Complete director commentary with Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman
[*] ILM animated film storyboard
[*] Avatar codes[/LIST]
Don't ask why Grossmans name isn't mentioned in the scene-by-scene commentary quote, that'll be a mistake on Play.coms part.
I notice Amazon.co.uk has a boxed version coming out for PS3 and 360 as well on these. Does that mean those two versions also get all this extra stuff?

Last edited by SyntheticGerbil; 08-02-2011 at 12:28 AM.
SyntheticGerbil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #29
Threepwood4life
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntheticGerbil View Post
I notice Amazon.co.uk has a boxed version coming out for PS3 and 360 as well on these. Does that mean those two versions also get all this extra stuff?
Yes, all features will be in all versions, including 360 & PS3.

Just wondered, will mixnmojo be doing a review of this collection once its released?

Old 08-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #30
MusiclyInspired

Why isn't this coming to North America!!?

Old 08-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #31
SyntheticGerbil
Pasta Master

North America hates boxes and anything resembling a hard copy.

This has sort of been a trend over both console and PC games that are not big budget for the past two years.
SyntheticGerbil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #32
Udvarnoky
Short for "Jason"

The practice of leaving North America out of retail releases of LEC adventure games has been tradition for a long time. Clearly the powers that be have sales figures that prove that the European market is a more viable one for boxed adventure games. It completely blows, but whatever. It will be easy enough for me to import and gift this to a grade school cousin of mine I'm determined to introduce Monkey Island to.

Quote:
Just wondered, will mixnmojo be doing a review of this collection once its released?
Maybe just because you chose to wonder it aloud, we will, though it would basically boil down to an overview of the new bonuses.

Last edited by Udvarnoky; 08-03-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Udvarnoky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #33
Threepwood4life
Rookie

Well the collection is out in Europe this Friday, who will be buying on first day release? I assume most will be buying the PC version which on all sites are selling for 7.99.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #34
MusiclyInspired

I won't be buying it at all because apparently LucasArts hates North America.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #35
Alex IDV
Rookie

Quote:
I won't be buying it at all because apparently LucasArts hates North America.
You could import it, I guess, but yeah, it really sucks when that game you want isn't released in your region.

Such as Professor Layton's London Life :<
Old 09-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #36
Udvarnoky
Short for "Jason"

I'm in the US, and pre-ordered the PC version from HMV. With shipping from the UK the total comes to about twenty bucks.
Udvarnoky is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #37
MusiclyInspired

Since when does HMV supply PC games? They certainly don't in Canada.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #38
Alex IDV
Rookie

Quote:
I dunno, but they sold PC games in the HMV store I went to when I visited London earlier this year.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #39
Thrik
Symbolically Compelling

Quote:
Always have in the UK, all available online too:

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/navigate.do?ct...pSubGroupID=42

Old 09-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #40
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
The game's also on eBay, although slightly more expensive than in stores. I'm really annoyed that Activision didn't send us a review copy of this, especially as LucasArts wanted to use a quote from the Mojo review in their marketing materials. Anyway, Mojo will certainly cover the bonus content

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Monkey Island Special Editions coming to stores (in Europe)