lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Amy Winehouse found dead.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Amy Winehouse found dead.

'Bout time. Well done making it this far, with all those drug habits.

Sky News reported it.

Source

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
'Bout time.
'Bout time'?

I didn't like her music, or approve of her lifestyle, but she was clearly a troubled person, and was after all, a human being.

Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
the 27 Club, although I wouldn't categorize her with those greats. Good singer, but an idiot, I have no sympathy other than for her family.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
'Bout time'?

I didn't like her music, or approve of her lifestyle, but she was clearly a troubled person, and was after all, a human being.
Was simply referring to the drug habits. It's about time, with all those drugs she took. Not "Bout time, I was waiting for her to die, cause i'm just that sick"

On that same note though, I don't care, and quite frankly don't have sympathy for her. Silly girl.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Agreed. With those drug habits it was just a matter of time. I didn't like her music, but it's undeniable that she had a great singing voice. Such wasted potential. Hopefully others might learn from her mistakes and not repeat them.

Condolences to her family.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Shocking.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Drunkside
Satan´s little helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
Shocking.
This.

Saivo´s New demo, A Cruel Northern Land is out! Listen to it on our mikseri.net bandpage.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=117610
Drunkside is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
SITH LORD 872

Current Game: KOTOR 1
It's sad to see someone waste their life and talent on something stupid, I didn't care for her music, but i don't wish her to be dead, Had she gone for help she would still be here, Sadly some people feel they can't be helped or don't want to get help!!

SITH LORD 872 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Come to Ahto and find a thread about Amy Winehouse who I don't really give a **** about and really shouldn't be getting this much attention in the first place. Look around for a thread about 90+ people dead in Norway... nothing.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
Dread Advocate

Current Game: Magic the Gathering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former
Come to Ahto and find a thread about Amy Winehouse who I don't really give a **** about and really shouldn't be getting this much attention in the first place. Look around for a thread about 90+ people dead in Norway... nothing.
This
Dread Advocate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Unless those 90+ people were killed as part of an organised terrorist plot that resulted in the worst violence and bloodshed the nation has seen since the second world war, it can't hope to compete with news of a random celebrity being killed by her petty vices.

... wait.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #12
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Was simply referring to the drug habits. It's about time, with all those drugs she took. Not "Bout time, I was waiting for her to die, cause i'm just that sick"

On that same note though, I don't care, and quite frankly don't have sympathy for her. Silly girl.

My utter lack of respect for both this post and the OP may actually exceed your utter lack of tact.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
Mandalorian Knight
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post

My utter lack of respect for both this post and the OP may actually exceed your utter lack of tact.
This
Mandalorian Knight is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post

um. wut?

Old 07-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #15
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
Shocking.
This.
I'll third on this. Not surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynk
You could start your own thread.....

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #16
Bob Lion54
Jr. Malkavian Detective

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
um. wut?
Allow me to preform a bit of cryptology on the statement eluding your comprehension as it appears the cipher is above your pay grade.

"Your posts were quite rude and [Jae] found them to be disrespectful."

Bob Lion54 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2011, 11:46 PM   #17
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Tactless jokes about rock, marijuana and other drugs are popping up on Facebook like there's no tomorrow. Comparisons with other artists dead that young (and specifically at 27) are pretty common too.

I'm sad to see her gone. She had quite the voice. It's true that she abused of her body by drugs, most prominently, but she didn't care. I get mad at the hypocrisy of people sometimes. Some will say she had it coming because she was banging seven gram rocks but they forget that alcohol and cigarettes are drugs too, with sometimes even more malevolent effects on the body. She enjoyed her life and didn't care about what people thought of her. Pretty artsy.

And I agree that the Norway incidents are relatively more important and shock-inducing than this bit of news. Sad either way.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2011, 01:31 AM   #18
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
You could start your own thread.....
When have you ever seen me start a thread?

Old 07-24-2011, 01:44 AM   #19
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
A few times around there: http://www.twilightlynk.com/

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #20
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Around here?
12/12/2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SITH LORD 872 View Post
Had she gone for help she would still be here, Sadly some people feel they can't be helped or don't want to get help!!
If curing addiction was easy, then we would not have these senseless deaths.

RIP…knew the name (mainly because of the addiction), but did not know the music. Still my condolences to her family, friends and fans.

Last edited by mimartin; 07-24-2011 at 02:09 AM.
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #21
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lion54 View Post
Allow me to preform a bit of cryptology on the statement eluding your comprehension as it appears the cipher is above your pay grade.

"Your posts were quite rude and [Jae] found them to be disrespectful."
Oh well then, apologies, but it's simply my opinion. If you're going to get yourself rich, with an amazing singing voice and have everything going for you, and then kill yourself with ongoing drug habits, I have no sympathy for you. It's just stupid.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #22
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Amy winehouse squandered what talent she had and used drugs to destroy her body, and she was probably the furthest thing from our thoughts until she died, now we are falling out and flaming each other over it, why not move along now? And yes sarcasm is flaming.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #23
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Frankly, some of the incredibly and utterly insensitive comments in this thread make me want to throw up. Yes, some are falling over the fact that she's a celeb who's dead.

However, I think it's what she respresents to those of us who've had family members and friends who have struggled horribly with drug and alcohol addiction that makes me sad for her. I have a friend who I went to school with from kindergarten all the way through high school who died in his early 30's from liver failure from drinking himself to death. Several other friends have been in and out of rehab. My husband's half-brother has end-stage liver cirrhosis and can't get off the drugs and alcohol. We don't know if he's alive--we don't keep up with him after learning at my mother-in-law's funeral what he'd done to his younger siblings. He drinks himself to death because he is a tortured soul who tries to escape his horrendous guilt with drugs and alcohol. I see far too many of these same people at the homeless shelter in our town.

Amy Winehouse is likely much the same. True, some people decide on a lark to try drugs or alcohol and then end up addicted. Most, however, use drugs because of something in their lives or their pasts that is so dark, so awful, so heart-wrenching that we would be horrified by it if we found out what it was, and wonder how they even managed to survive the event.

We may never know what drove Amy to try to escape reality by drinking that much or making herself a zombie with drugs, but it clearly was something so bad that she could never face reality without them.

I didn't particularly care for Amy Winehouse's music, or the fact that she was a celebrity. I do care that she was only 27 when she died, and I'm now using the past tense to describe someone who had substantial music talent. I care about the fact that she was such a tortured soul from her inner demons and possible bipolar disorder that she killed herself, either accidentally or on purpose, with the very things she was using to try to flee those demons.

THAT is what is sad about her death, and THAT is what is sad about anyone, celebrity or not, who dies this way.

We should be praying for them, thinking good thoughts for them, and trying to help them in some way--volunteering or helping a homeless shelter or drug center in some way, even if it's only donating a bag of groceries or gently used clothes, or spending a bit of time listening to them as they work through the horrors that drive them to drink or do drugs.

Her death should not give us cause to troll and poke fun. Her death should inspire us to get off our butts and try to make some kind of difference in the lives of those who face the horrors she died trying to face.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #24
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

If we don't sympathise with the dead, who are we going to sympathise with, the living?

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #25
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

The Sad truth is that a lot of people dont have Demons until they become drug addicts, I personally know several people who started injecting Heroin because they were fans of Guns n Roses, or wanted that sunset strip lifestyle, whatever... They are shadows of their former selves and I cannot trust then in my house for fear of theft, they are zombies. I had a very happy childhood, but chose to start snorting cocaine at dance clubs in the late 90's, I spent the first half of the 00's as a paranoid recluse who suffered panic attacks, I'm a good place now, but it was my choices that screwed a good 8 years of my life. I guess I have less patience for these types of things than some. I do however respect your kind nature and thoughts of others Jae.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #26
SITH LORD 872

Current Game: KOTOR 1
Quote:
Oh well then, apologies, but it's simply my opinion. If you're going to get yourself rich, with an amazing singing voice and have everything going for you, and then kill yourself with ongoing drug habits, I have no sympathy for you. It's just stupid.
Sometimes Fame and Fortune can be a scary thing for some, Some handle it by showering themselves with little things, And some use Drugs and alcohol as a means!!

SITH LORD 872 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #27
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

I never doubted the sadness of the situation, but anyone who even starts on drugs is stupid in my honest opinion, but fine. Lips sealed.

They tried to make her go to rehab but she said no, no no.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #28
Elite Duck
Rookie

The living are the one's who should be pitied

Besides, I understand completely what you mean Jae. I don't think the majority of people can comprehend exactly what a situation means without experiencing it themselves. It is a sad and basic form of our human nature but what is even sadder is that she had so many oppertunities to turn her life around and she didn't. I don't pity her now she is dead. I pitied her while she was alive, because in death your 'soul' is essentially cleared of everything. A dead soul is as innocent as a unborn soul.

The main point here is that her family are the ones who should be pitied. I'm not saying we should send them letters saying "Poor you, hope you cope at some point" but I think that, as Jae worded magnificently, we should as a community try to help those who need help such as those in, considering and relucted about rehab.

That's all I have to say about that really

Elite Duck is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #29
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Um who? I'm sorry, I seriously have never heard of her. But in any case it's sad that this is another tragic casualty of the celebrity drug life. Let this serve as a lesson that life is what you choose, so choose wisely.

R.I.P. Amy Winehouse

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #30
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I'd go along with 99% of what you wrote, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Duck View Post
It is a sad and basic form of our human nature but what is even sadder is that she had so many oppertunities to turn her life around and she didn't.
I would say, she didn't or couldn't turn her life around. Sometimes we fail even though we try. Most of us are only human after all.

Also find it extremely funny sad that people think they know everything about someone's life just because they saw a story in some gossip media. Not everything about someone in the media spotlight is accurate or true, despite the Murdoch’s empire best efforts to hack everyone’s phone.

It almost sounds like everyone just bought into the Nancy Reagan form of drug prevention “Just say No.” Sorry to say, drug prevention and drug addiction is not that simple. Watching someone you know go down that road works pretty good as a deterrent (at lest for me).
Old 07-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #31
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
One can't truly know anyone else, only presume.

It is understandable that people use substances and alcohol as coping mechanisms. I'm certainly not ignoring that nor saying anything is easy. At some point eventually it is upon the individual to make a choice and even then nothing is assured. That's why these sorts of things are casualties, at least in my view, regardless of intent. I can't claim to know what Amy Winehouse's issues were. I can only guess at it because I have seen success destroy people. Maybe it was something else more than meets the eye. We'll never know now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
The Sad truth is that a lot of people dont have Demons until they become drug addicts, I personally know several people who started injecting Heroin because they were fans of Guns n Roses, or wanted that sunset strip lifestyle, whatever... They are shadows of their former selves and I cannot trust then in my house for fear of theft, they are zombies.
I agree. These are the people that those campaigns "above the influence" and the like are aimed towards. I suppose their problem is such a static life that they want something to do.

Then there are those who for whatever reason can't cope with reality. Inner demons, or a hopeless situation, or even that they simply can't handle some of the more cruel parts of reality.

Alternatively some people with demons don't necessarily use, but may have other destructive outlets. I can personally attest to this, as well as having known others like this.

Quote:
I had a very happy childhood, but chose to start snorting cocaine at dance clubs in the late 90's, I spent the first half of the 00's as a paranoid recluse who suffered panic attacks, I'm a good place now, but it was my choices that screwed a good 8 years of my life. I guess I have less patience for these types of things than some.
It just takes a willingness to understand.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #32
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Am I the only one here who thinks she didn't have "an amazing singing voice"?

Old 07-24-2011, 10:10 PM   #33
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
I agree with Lynk again. Something is wrong.

It was decent, but not great or amazing IMO.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #34
Dread Advocate

Current Game: Magic the Gathering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former
You're not alone. Although this derives from my general uninterest in her style of music, I still don't think that she is worthy of worship, whether it be in life or death. But then, I'd be acting just the same if any member of one of my favorite bands spontaneously died, not worshipping mind you, but extremely grieved. My sympathies to her friends and family, though.
Dread Advocate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2011, 04:47 AM   #35
Ghost Down

Am I surprised? Not really.

Last edited by Ghost Down; 07-25-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Ghost Down is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Amy Winehouse found dead.