lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: [TSL/WIP]
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #81
Snard
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR II
For the names, you could try making them seem more Star Wars-like, not like modern day names.

Besides that, everything else looks great, keep it up.

Snard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2011, 03:25 AM   #82
Capibara
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_dad View Post
Quote:
I'm not sure about the appearance bands, first, your npc characters will be loosing in the personality department because of it, and second, is it a magical thingy or what?, that is, it's an immersion killer... if the game worked like a party based dungeon crawler where you create your whole party at the begining it would make sense, but such as it is, it doesn't. Just my 2 cents.
You get the appearance bands a soon as you get your party member, so you can equpit it on them right away, and you don't have to use it if you don't want to.
Of course, and i don't have to use your mod if i don't want to either but that's not a valid argument to what i was saying above right? i mean, think of the companions you get in the vanilla games; their appearance is an important part of defining their character, take Canderous, he's a veteran, hardened warrior, and it shows in his face: on the hard lines of the face, on his scars, on the greys of his buzzcut hair, etc, or take Visas, she has a melancholic and mysterious air and not coincidentally half her face is hidden from the player, or Bastila; she's indeed a bit of a princess, in both character and the 'archetype' role she plays for the player in K1, and look at her elaborate hairdo (which even include little twin ponytails) and unique, elaborate clothing/robe... it's character design through and through. Now, looking at example alternate appearances you posted for your Jonah companion, it makes me wonder what is his true character; is he a serious, silent, tough-type character as the caucassian-tattoo appearance suggests? or maybe a friendly lighthearted type as the asian does? or a person concerned with appearances, details and perhaps other things, as the elaborate and neatly trimmed bear style of the default-facial hair appearance does?... As i said in my previous post, it will hurt your characters and mod (if you insist on it however, an idea would be to make your alternate appearance versions much more similar to each other and each one taking the character you want to create full into account).
Capibara is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #83
Warlord664

Current Game: swtor
Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capibara View Post
Of course, and i don't have to use your mod if i don't want to either but that's not a valid argument to what i was saying above right? i mean, think of the companions you get in the vanilla games; their appearance is an important part of defining their character, take Canderous, he's a veteran, hardened warrior, and it shows in his face: on the hard lines of the face, on his scars, on the greys of his buzzcut hair, etc, or take Visas, she has a melancholic and mysterious air and not coincidentally half her face is hidden from the player, or Bastila; she's indeed a bit of a princess, in both character and the 'archetype' role she plays for the player in K1, and look at her elaborate hairdo (which even include little twin ponytails) and unique, elaborate clothing/robe... it's character design through and through. Now, looking at example alternate appearances you posted for your Jonah companion, it makes me wonder what is his true character; is he a serious, silent, tough-type character as the caucassian-tattoo appearance suggests? or maybe a friendly lighthearted type as the asian does? or a person concerned with appearances, details and perhaps other things, as the elaborate and neatly trimmed bear style of the default-facial hair appearance does?... As i said in my previous post, it will hurt your characters and mod (if you insist on it however, an idea would be to make your alternate appearance versions much more similar to each other and each one taking the character you want to create full into account).

You have some good points there. But its still an awesome game system. But if mr dad has companions (like the wookies in kotor and tsl) that can't equip armor or doesn't change the appearence when equiped you could make a bunch of different outfit kets for thoughs guys.
Warlord664 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #84
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
I like the appearance band idea a lot except for the fact that it takes up a shield slot. But I can live with that the idea of having the characters how I want them to look is awesome in my opinion.

Dak Drexl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #85
mr_dad
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord664 View Post
You have some good points there. But its still an awesome game system. But if mr dad has companions (like the wookies in kotor and tsl) that can't equip armor or doesn't change the appearence when equiped you could make a bunch of different outfit kets for thoughs guys.
I see what you guys mean. One thing I might do is just do different reskins of the same model so it still seems like the same character.

mr_dad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #86
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I imagine having the player have control over the companions looks will affect the game in other ways too: namely, cut-scenes. You'll have to do all of your cut-scenes with the characters in-game. If you set the appearance of one of the characters in a BIK file, it would mess up a player's in-game canon, right?

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #87
mr_dad
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron View Post
I imagine having the player have control over the companions looks will affect the game in other ways too: namely, cut-scenes. You'll have to do all of your cut-scenes with the characters in-game. If you set the appearance of one of the characters in a BIK file, it would mess up a player's in-game canon, right?
Exactly. For the BIK cutscenes, you never see your party members, only NPCs. Its harder this way, but its worth it.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #88
mr_dad
Rookie

Just a few screenshots for now. Also, I may have a 1-level demo released by the end of the month.

Jedi Master Urden
Show spoiler

Barron Thrawn on Tython
Show spoiler

Bakrua at night
Show spoiler

The Emulator Cokpit
Show spoiler

And lastly the logo and The current Menu screen
Show spoiler

Last edited by mr_dad; 11-12-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #89
Scorge
Jedi Master

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Wow, it looks really nice so far. Keep up the work. Oh and how did you make the logo?

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2011, 12:19 AM   #90
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Nice screenies! The only issue I really have is the Bakura at night. I know you tried to make it realistic, but having it like that makes it look like it's the atmosphere of an asteroid or dwarf planet (which is, literally, barely any atmosphere at all.). Maybe you could make the stars smaller and some blueish/pinkish/whatever hues into the sky?

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread

Last edited by LDR; 11-11-2011 at 10:15 AM.
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #91
Zhaboka
Applesauce Tractor

Veteran Modder 
I would align all the letters in the logo with each other, just the R and the other R being above seems... weird to me. Great work otherwise!

Thank you Gorgod.
Zhaboka is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #92
Warlord664

Contest winner - Modding 
It all looks awesome but the big green stripe going down master Urden's face looks kind of.....strange? I think the menu screen looks coll but I do agree with zhaboka I think you should at least level out the r at the end. Ty for the update.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #93
Zhaboka
Applesauce Tractor

Veteran Modder 
I agree with Canderis, as well. Also, did you make the models seen in the launch screen?

Thank you Gorgod.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #94
Scorge
Jedi Master

Oh and I think you should darken the grass for bakura

Formally MrObiWan

Old 11-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #95
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I agree with MrObiWan. That grass is VERY green for nighttime.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #96
mr_dad
Rookie

Okay everyone here's the thing. I've completely restarted the mod with a total different story. I'm not going to go in big details as to why but basically this is why.

1-I cannot seem to get a satisfying story without contradicting several other things in the star wars Universe.

2-I cant find half my modded files because of a disorganized computer.

I'll try to keep what I can of what I've already done. What I have down for the new mod is this.

ACT 1
Overall-4%

Story-10%
Textures-30%
Module Creation-1%
Voice Acting-0%

Story
Two thousand years after the Destruction of the second Death Star, the galaxy is divided between the Republic Loyalist Alliance, and and the Galactic Federation. The Jedi have been exiled from Republic Space and left Coruscant, relocating on Yavin VI.
Companions

-Jona K'har(Human Male)
-Kelie Stewart(Human Female)
-Captain Shoule(Human Male)
-Kail Kineer(Kiffar Male)

Locations

Locations
-Yavin IV
-Coruscant
-Dromund Kaas
-Kaas III
-Armonar
-New Alderaan
-Arken Derbis Field

Also, do I need to create a new thread for this or should I keep this one?

Last edited by mr_dad; 03-16-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #97
Scorge
Jedi Master

I think you should create a new fresh thread, too bad you had to restart. But the story sounds good.

Formally MrObiWan

Old 11-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #98
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Quote:
Also, do I need to create a new thread for this or should I keep this one?
Alter the original post of this thread to reflect the current information regarding the mod. Do not include any information that doesn't reflect the current plans of the story - i.e. do not mention stuff from the old version of the mod that won't be making it's way to the new version. (In fact, I'd also not mention that there was another version at all.)

A request - could you cut down on the amount of tattoos of faces? If I wanted to see that, I'd go to a biker/gang bar or watch prison documentaries.

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:56 AM   #99
Capibara
Rookie

Quote:
Okay everyone here's the thing. I've completely restarted the mod with a total different story. I'm not going to go in big details as to why but basically this is why.

1-I cannot seem to get a satisfying story without contradicting several other things in the star wars Universe.

2-I cant find half my modded files because of a disorganized computer.
Number 2 seems a 'valid' reason, but number 1? please... that's not something to care about that much (if at all); if authorized lucasarts products do it all the time (contradict, retcon, etc) why would a fan made mod be bound by such things? you're making a mod for kotor 1/2?: don't contradict kotor 1/2, that's it.
Capibara is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #100
mr_dad
Rookie

Breif Update.

Concept Art
Jona K'har
Show spoiler

In game shots
Show spoiler

Last edited by mr_dad; 12-02-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #101
Zhaboka
Applesauce Tractor

Veteran Modder 
I love the look of those robes. As for you character creation screens, they're a little chaotic. Maybe add back in some of the opacity of the boxes so that it's readable?

Thank you Gorgod.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #102
Phildevil

Or add what Zhaboka said as an option, as original may look quite good on other eyes
Phildevil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #103
mr_dad
Rookie

Update

Hey everybody, I now I've been inactive for a while but i have a brief update on the game layout.

So the story is split into 3 acts each about 1/4 the size of KOTOR 1.

STORY
The game takes place about 6000 years after Return of the Jedi. An ex Republic Senator has Invaded with a new Galactic Empire and declared himself Emperor. The Republic stays defending their major worlds while the Federation leads the war against the Empire. The Jedi Knights are flocking to join either the Federation and fight the empire of the Republic and Defend the galaxy. You take the role of the last Eleken: an ancient group of warriors strong in the force but do not become Jedi or Sith. You are the key to stopping the Empire but you can't do it alone. You meet up with several key figures such as Jona K'har, the Grand Jedi Watchmen, Noren, the heir to the Skywalker legacy, and several others to and rally behind either the Republic or Federation and take on the Empire's greatest warriors.

NEW FEATURES
-Intimidation and charm abilities that work much like the intimidation/charm skills in Mass Effect. They require certain levels of either light or dark side.
-Affection(replaces influence)
-Influence is you influence over the character. If your influence is high, their personality will be similar to yours.
-Faction Loyalty: this is acquired at a certain point in the game. The higher you loyalty, the more powerful equipment and dialogue abilities you get.

Locations

-Yavin IV
-Coruscant
-Dromund Kaas
-Taloraan
-Egor III

Many features in this mod were inspired by The Old Republic. Anyway, more concept art is on the way along with Chapter 4 of the Order of Darkness. See you all later.
~Mr Dad

Last edited by mr_dad; 03-16-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #104
Scorge
Jedi Master

Sounds, interesting. Though can you reply to my visitor message? I would really like to know how you did it.

Formally MrObiWan

Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #105
Warlord664

Contest winner - Modding 
Sounds cool. Looking forward to more updates.

Lets rock and role play!

http://xat.com/TSLModding
Old 02-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #106
mr_dad
Rookie

One quick question. For all of you who play the Old Republic, who would like to see a Nekghoul for a companion?

Old 02-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #107
logan23
Veteran

Current Game: Revenge of Revan
Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Contest winner - Modding Hot Topic Starter 
It all comes down how it fits in the plot.
You just don't want to force it into the mod/story.

logan23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #108
Warlord664

Contest winner - Modding 
Ha ha! Sounds interesting....But not sure if I would ever use him over other companions...
I do want to see them in the mod though.

Lets rock and role play!

http://xat.com/TSLModding
Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #109
Sith Holocron
M4-78

I think a Nekghoul might make a good puppet to another character - like a Jedi? However, by itself? I don't think so.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #110
UltimateHK47
Forumite

Current Game: Kotor 1
Only just heard bout this, it looks amazing. Love the menue screenes. How did you get it to say Jedi Knight?

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...12#post2807812
The Turret Arcade 1.2 ^^

USED TO BE KNOWN AS DARTH JANGO/WEASLEY
UltimateHK47 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #111
christos200
Rookie

Current Game: battlefront 2
Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
One quick question. For all of you who play the Old Republic, who would like to see a Nekghoul for a companion?
I dont play TOR, but i show in google a pic of them, and it would be interested to have one of them as a companion..
christos200 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #112
mr_dad
Rookie

Okay everyone. Here's the deal. My computer broke and I had to repair it. Now I'm reinstalling all the software back on including KOTOR Tool. The things is, while i was doing this, I came to the decision to that I cannot continue working on the MOD right now. So I'm "putting it on the shelf" and when I get a chance, I'll get back to it. But that may be a while, so I am available to help anyone else with their mods in things like concept art, voice acting, or skinning. So...see ya'll later.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #113
UltimateHK47
Forumite

Current Game: Kotor 1
Quote:
Okay everyone. Here's the deal. My computer broke and I had to repair it. Now I'm reinstalling all the software back on including KOTOR Tool. The things is, while i was doing this, I came to the decision to that I cannot continue working on the MOD right now. So I'm "putting it on the shelf" and when I get a chance, I'll get back to it. But that may be a while, so I am available to help anyone else with their mods in things like concept art, voice acting, or skinning. So...see ya'll later.
Shame, but when / if you continue work Id love to see this progress. It looks very promising

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...12#post2807812
The Turret Arcade 1.2 ^^

USED TO BE KNOWN AS DARTH JANGO/WEASLEY
UltimateHK47 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > [TSL/WIP]