lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: KOTOR crash issue (Windows 7 on Steam)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
ArwingAce
Lurker

Question KOTOR crash issue (Windows 7 on Steam)

I know what you're thinking "If he would just read the 400,000 other help threads instead of clotting the board with this one he'd solve his problem." I've scrolled through countless threads on the Steam forum and this one, and although my problem may be similar, my results from the help are not.

The game will start, and will sometimes make it to the main menu (when it doesn't it just minimizes and I can't bring it back up). On these joyous occasions when I make it to the main menu and then load my game the same thing always happens: When I fly to a new location in the Ebon Hawk, it crashes.

Now I've been playing the game for about 7 and a half hours error free, and now all of a sudden I'm crashing constantly. I've tried running as administrator, downloading DirectX, restarting, alt-tabbing out, screaming at the computer, and every other patch or fix I could lay eyes on. So far I'm completely impressed with this game, and would like to continue playing as soon as possible.

I'm running it on a Toshiba Satellite A665D if that helps. Thanks in advance for any help!
ArwingAce is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
ArwingAce
Lurker

I can't find out how to upload the image of my specs...sorry for my tech-ignorance!
Old 10-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Veteran Modder 
I encountered this problem myself on the CD version. What I had to do was disable the movies, and have KOTOR start in windowed mode. Be sure to start a new game/load a save game before you put KOTOR in full screen. It may appear to stop responding while trying to click the new/load game buttons but just wait a minute and it will work.

~ I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ZimmMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
ArwingAce
Lurker

Great I'm playing again! But will I never be able to view a cut scene again?
Old 10-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwingAce View Post
Great I'm playing again! But will I never be able to view a cut scene again?
You can view the cut scenes. But not the movies. It's not that big of deal for me because I'm a veteran player and I've seen them all before.

~ I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ZimmMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
From the Vista/7 installation guide:
Quote:
11) If the game is crashing or exiting to the desktop whenever a movie tries to play, you may need to enable support for 640x480 resolution in your graphics driver control panel to allow movies to play.

12) If the game still won't load for whatever reason, it might be a good idea to disable the intro ad movies by renaming their files. This is also handy if you just don't want to sit through them. These are located in the "movies" folder, which is in the main game folder. The files in question are:

KotOR 1: biologo.bik; leclogo.bik; legal.bik
KotOR 2: leclogo.bik; legal.bik; ObsidianEnt.bik

In each case you can just change their file extension from "bik" to "bak" and they'll be skipped.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #7
Messiahbolica
Lurker

Post If all else failed, This worked for me! (Nvidia)

Make sure you do not have the folder set to "read only". Head to

1. Nvidia Control Panel
2. Add KOTOR
3. Manage 3d Settings
4. Turn Off Threaded Optimization

PLAY!
Messiahbolica is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Trouble Shooting > The Work Bench > KOTOR crash issue (Windows 7 on Steam)

Tags
crashing game, help mods tsl kotor, kotor 1