lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: KotOR 2 Windows 7 crash
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-26-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
Bellator777
Lurker

Unhappy KotOR 2 Windows 7 crash

Hi, I'm new to LucasForums. I'm trying to play KotOR 2, but it always stops working after the intro. I can't seem to be able to get he game to patch. I've tried the manual but it a box always pops up that says "Old box not found. however, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match." I also can't get it patched by using SecuROM. I'm not too good with computers, so i need a somewhat simple answer.

Last edited by Bellator777; 08-26-2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Bellator777 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Did you install the game according to the large-print instructions at the top of the second post in this thread?

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-28-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
Bellator777
Lurker

Well i got all the way to the SecuROM step. For some reason i can't download the patch. When using SecuROM, i finish the first step, but i can't complete the second one.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:22 AM   #4
Q
The one who knocks

I just tested the download link and it's still good. What steps are you talking about?

1) Download the file.

2) Rename the swkotor2.exe in your game folder.

3) Extract the file you downloaded to your game folder.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 08-28-2011, 02:33 AM   #5
Bellator777
Lurker

When i open up the SecuROM tool and i click on update, it finishes the first step " Analyze application using SecuROM" but doesn't finish the second. Is there a link to the updated .exe?
Old 08-28-2011, 02:36 AM   #6
Q
The one who knocks

Yes. It's right there in the same section of that post. It's labeled "For KotOR2".

-Toker
Old 08-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
Bellator777
Lurker

Ok i got the file and i'm replacing the old one with this one.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
bobengod
Lurker

I am also trying to run the game on windows 7 and I have followed all the steps twice but the game still seems to crash after the intro video and character creation
bobengod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
ZimmMaster
Forumite

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Veteran Modder 
This is a problem I have encountered. But mine is just a general install on Windows 7, so I don't know if this will solve the problem. I did not go through the get KOTOR/TSL to work on Windows 7 steps. It was not necessary for me. But here is what I did.

First thing is disable the movies. Although this may not be necessary for you. I had to do it because of the widescreen patch. Something about scaling issues.

Next, you get TSL to start in windowed mode and while in windowed mode start a new game/or load a previous save. Then maximize the window.

~ I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ZimmMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobengod View Post
I am also trying to run the game on windows 7 and I have followed all the steps twice but the game still seems to crash after the intro video and character creation
Try using the game's configuration utility to post your system specs:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
Post your system specs
Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:
  • If you're using Vista or Windows 7, go into your game folder, find "launcher.exe" and right-click on it. Select "properties", then "compatibility" and check the box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". Then check the box next to "Run this program administrator" and hit "OK". (EDIT by Q)
  • Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2 (by running "launcher.exe").
  • Click on "Configure".
  • Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
  • Click "Yes" to continue.
  • Click "Details" to view your system specs.
  • Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
  • Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.
You can leave out the keymapping and everything after that.

Also, from the Vista/7 installation guide:
Quote:
11) If the game is crashing or exiting to the desktop whenever a movie tries to play, you may need to enable support for 640x480 resolution in your graphics driver control panel to allow movies to play.

12) If the game still won't load for whatever reason, it might be a good idea to disable the intro ad movies by renaming their files. This is also handy if you just don't want to sit through them. These are located in the "movies" folder, which is in the main game folder. The files in question are:

KotOR 1: biologo.bik; leclogo.bik; legal.bik
KotOR 2: leclogo.bik; legal.bik; ObsidianEnt.bik

In each case you can just change their file extension from "bik" to "bak" and they'll be skipped.

-Toker

Last edited by Q; 10-27-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Trouble Shooting > The Work Bench > KotOR 2 Windows 7 crash

Tags
carsh, kotor 2