lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: [TSL] New Fighting Animation's?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
Scorge
Jedi Master

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Question [TSL] New Fighting Animation's?

Is this possible? If so what program do I use to do this? I've searched Holowan for this kind of question's but there were no matches.

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
CptPriceless

Current Game: TSL
You know, I remember the person who made Revan's flowing cape - a seemingly simple animation mod - swore never to mess with animation in KotOR ever again.

CptPriceless is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I'm afraid animation might be a bit out of your lead. Even LESS people animate than the people who create area models. Ask Sithspecter, and the horrors he endured making the Revan's flowing cape mod. Or Ӄhrizby, who created multiple animation mods.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread

Last edited by LDR; 11-29-2011 at 05:49 AM.
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
Hunters Run
Rookie

Current Game: Assassins creed
Hmmm.....new fighting animations. Yes it is possible. However currently you need to replace old animations with new ones. I stepped away from the modding scene for a while but, my latest project is discovering ways to create new animations without replacing old ones. While I have had minimal success with it, an earlier showed it might be possible. As I don't want to highjack this thread any questions about this project should be p.m. to me or put in my thread.

To answer your second question you need 3ds max or gmax, NWmax, and modlops v.6 alpha 1

Animations with kotor are time consuming. Also as in many things the more time you spend on it the better you will be.

It's just like chicken-only different.
Hunters Run is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
DarthStoney
To bed. I'm old and tired

Contest winner - Modding Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Run View Post

To answer your second question you need 3ds max or gmax, NWmax, and modlops v.6 alpha 1

Animations with kotor are time consuming. Also as in many things the more time you spend on it the better you will be.
As an added note also make sure to use the pearl scrips when using mdlops or animations will have bad results.

DarthStoney is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #6
Sithspecter
Big things are coming...

Current Game: Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptPriceless View Post
You know, I remember the person who made Revan's flowing cape - a seemingly simple animation mod - swore never to mess with animation in KotOR ever again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDeathRay View Post
IAsk Sithspecter, and the horrors he endured making the Revan's flowing cape mod.
This is correct, right here. I spent over a year animating over 18,000 frames of cape and belt animations for Revan's Flowing Cape and Belt. It was the most awful, tedious thing that I have ever done. And that was just 2 items of the model. There are probably around 100 total items that have to be animated, from model hooks to bones and all that... The fingers would be a nightmare. Frankly, nobody that is not specifically in a game animation career field has the time or talent to do more combat animations.

Plus, new combat animations would look horrendous in game. They won't match up with the existing combat animations, and the result will be swords or lightsabers that don't meet. It is pretty much the silliest thing to watch. It's happened to me in a few cutscenes, and it looks ridiculous.

So, possible...yes. Practical? No.

Sithspecter is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
Scorge
Jedi Master

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithspecter View Post
I spent over a year animating over 18,000 frames of cape and belt animations .
Damn! I thought that mod just took about 2 weeks, but still, I dont want to make an animation but I was wondering what program to use.

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #8
Sithspecter
Big things are coming...

Current Game: Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObiWan View Post
Damn! I thought that mod just took about 2 weeks, but still, I dont want to make an animation but I was wondering what program to use.
2 weeks... I wish. By the time that I was done with that mod, I was so sick of Revan, you have no idea.

I did it with Autodesk 3DS Max though.

Sithspecter is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
Rtas Vadum
Behold The Envoy...

Current Game: TES 4: Oblivion/3: Morrowind
Helpful! 
Quote:
2 weeks... I wish. By the time that I was done with that mod, I was so sick of Revan, you have no idea.

I did it with Autodesk 3DS Max though.
Something I've been wondering...would it be possible to use that animation porting method(meaning from model to model), and give the male and female Revan models(or the two unmasked models), the animated cape and belt?

Rtas Vadum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
Toasty Fresh
Rookie

Quote:
This is correct, right here. I spent over a year animating over 18,000 frames of cape and belt animations for Revan's Flowing Cape and Belt. It was the most awful, tedious thing that I have ever done. And that was just 2 items of the model. There are probably around 100 total items that have to be animated, from model hooks to bones and all that... The fingers would be a nightmare. Frankly, nobody that is not specifically in a game animation career field has the time or talent to do more combat animations.

Plus, new combat animations would look horrendous in game. They won't match up with the existing combat animations, and the result will be swords or lightsabers that don't meet. It is pretty much the silliest thing to watch. It's happened to me in a few cutscenes, and it looks ridiculous.

So, possible...yes. Practical? No.
I've heard about the trials that were undertaken to produce this mod. Can you clarify as to what was required for that animation? As in, how does the animation system for KoTOR work? I'm not wanting to actually do any animating, I'm just curious and wondering why it took an entire year.
Toasty Fresh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
Hunters Run
Rookie

Well, to get the cape to move Sithspecter needed to animate over 18,000 frames. That means he had to move the cape over 18,000 times. Furthermore, I believe he couldn't just move the cape and leave it he had to make sure it would be consistent with the rest of the animations. So those 18,000 times he moved the cape? Double the time. It is easier with TSL as the animations are already there.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
Toasty Fresh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Run View Post
Well, to get the cape to move Sithspecter needed to animate over 18,000 frames. That means he had to move the cape over 18,000 times. Furthermore, I believe he couldn't just move the cape and leave it he had to make sure it would be consistent with the rest of the animations. So those 18,000 times he moved the cape? Double the time. It is easier with TSL as the animations are already there.
But it's not like each frame is kept in a separate file is it? I mean I used to do animating and I never had to animate each frame individually, you'd just set up keyframes and have the movements blend between each keyframe.

Sorry if I sound a little skeptical but I don't see why you'd need to animate each frame individually unless you could only have one frame loaded at a time for whatever reason.
Toasty Fresh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
Hunters Run
Rookie

I cannot speak for Sithspector but I suspect that either A. he did not think of it or B. he thought it would look bad if each frame was not animated.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #14
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Fresh View Post
Sorry if I sound a little skeptical but I don't see why you'd need to animate each frame individually unless you could only have one frame loaded at a time for whatever reason.
Well, if it hasn't already been discussed in this thread, you could always PM SithSpecter and ask him about it.

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > [TSL] New Fighting Animation's?