lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Worth getting "Star Wars Best of PC" for a Windows 7 machine?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Worth getting "Star Wars Best of PC" for a Windows 7 machine?

I have a new PC on order that will have Windows 7 64 bit. If possible I hope to get KOTOR and JO working on it. Is it worth getting the "Best of PC" pack? I still have all my original disks, but I'm not sure of this new pack helps at all with compatibility with 7.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-31-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
I have the Best of PC pack and as far as I know it actually is much easier to install than the Vanilla kotor discs. All the other games work great as well, though Galaxies is a bit outdated as it doesn't exist anymore...

Edit: And yeah I'm on win7.

Dak Drexl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I have a new PC on order that will have Windows 7 64 bit. If possible I hope to get KOTOR and JO working on it. Is it worth getting the "Best of PC" pack? I still have all my original disks, but I'm not sure of this new pack helps at all with compatibility with 7.
Not sure about Jedi Outcast, but my old Jedi Academy install worked just fine on my new Win 7 64 machine. Didn't even need to reinstall it, just copied over the folder from the old machine and it ran. Only problem I've seen so far is that pre-rendered movies (pretty much only the Lucasarts logo) won't show properly.

Only games I've had any real problems getting to work after the w7 64 migration has been Bioware games (and Master of Orion, but it's ancient), ironically.

stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I have the original disc-based versions of K1 and TSL and they install just fine on Win 7 x64, as does Jedi Academy (I haven't tried Jedi Outcast yet either, but I assume it is ok too). Running them is a different matter. I haven't messed with them since my previous install, but I seem to recall both KOTORs require the hacked DLL to run on 7. Look in the Work Bench sub-forum for the Vista fix threads - should be there somewhere.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Great. I have all my original disks, so hopefully I will be good to go, more or less.

Will be interesting to see how much grief X-Wing Alliance gives me...

Old 01-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
There's a guy that made new 64 bit-compatible installers for all the X-Wing games - http://www.markusegger.at/Software/Games/Default.aspx

Using that Alliance installs fine on Win 7 x64. Getting it to run consistently proved in issue for me though. Trying to start a mission would lock up/crash the game about 70% of the time. Eventually I gave up on it.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

OK thanks. I'll have to take a look around and see if anyone has gotten something more stable.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Worth getting "Star Wars Best of PC" for a Windows 7 machine?