lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: How does lightsaber upgrading work?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
darth-ackbar
Rookie

Current Game: The Search For Revan
How does lightsaber upgrading work?

Hi everyone, what I want to know is, what exactly happens when you upgrade a lightsaber (or any weapon really), does the game replace your old saber with a brand new one, or somehow change the old one. I'm so confused Oh, i'm talking about colour really.

Search For Revan Website: www.kotorsearchforrevan.wetpaint.com

Search For Revan LucasForums Thread

<a href=http://www.kotorsearchforrevan.wetpaint.com target=_blank>http://www.kotorsearchforrevan.wetpaint.com</a>
darth-ackbar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
The colour stays the same. Unless you change the crystal.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
When you change the color, the game replaces your old saber with a new one. Since the hilts in the vanilla game all use the same model, this isn't apparent.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
darth-ackbar
Rookie

Current Game: The Search For Revan
Ah, thanks Achilles, so each color crystal corresponds to a .uti file?

Search For Revan Website: www.kotorsearchforrevan.wetpaint.com

Search For Revan LucasForums Thread

<a href=http://www.kotorsearchforrevan.wetpaint.com target=_blank>http://www.kotorsearchforrevan.wetpaint.com</a>
darth-ackbar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Each color crystal has a .uti file, but that's more for the line-item in you inventory than anything else.

The actual physical model depends on .2da entries and .mdl files, etc. It's been a gazillion years since I modded KotOR or TSL, so it's all a bit rusty, but I think I still have a tutorial around here somewhere that might be helpful.

EDIT: (slightly more helpful edition) Each lightsaber has it's own model with a color tied to it (i.e. lightsaber #1 is blue, #2 is green, #3 is red, etc). When you take the crystal (an inventory-only item) and put it in a lightsaber, the game takes what ever model (blue, green, red) you had away and gives you the corresponding model for the new color. Again, because all the hilts are the same, you don't really notice, however if you were to take or build a hilt mod, but only code it for one color, then that hilt would only show up in the game with the one color. Putting another color crystal in that "hilt" would then give you the generic one and/or probably crash your game.

Last edited by Achilles; 01-31-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
Qui-Don Jorn

Current Game: The Old Republic
Helpful! 
correct.

if you want one hilt model that has 9 different colors - you have to make 9 different mdl/mdx's, 9 uti's for hilt and 9 uti's for crystal.
Qui-Don Jorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > How does lightsaber upgrading work?