lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: What trend in the gaming industry do you find the most troubling?
Online activation and online requirement to play (DRM). 35 55.56%
Digital distribution 2 3.17%
Streamlining games 4 6.35%
Console Designed/PC Ported 9 14.29%
Multiplayer/Co-Op 4 6.35%
Yoda 6 9.52%
DLC 3 4.76%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: What trend in the gaming industry do you find the most troubling?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 02-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
What trend in the gaming industry do you find the most troubling?

What trend in the gaming industry do you find the most troubling?

1. Online activation and online requirement to play (DRM). 3rd party requirement (Steam to play Skyrim or Origin to play Mass Effect 3).

2. Along the same lines. Digital distribution the move towards no longer having a physical copy and only being able to purchase the game from certain digital distributors (exp Origin)

3. Streamlining games in an attempt to make them more attractive to a wider audience.

4. More and more games being made with consoles in mind and PC just being a ported after thought.

5. More games trying to add multiplayer/co-op
mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
MsFicwriter

Current Game: Arcanum
Roleplayer 
My main gripe is with the DRM (why, why, WHY, especially if it's a single-player game), but I'm also disgusted with the fourth option. Example: Skyrim. The controls on PC are simply maddening for me, and I don't own a console, so there you have it.
MsFicwriter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Current Game: Minecraft MP: PynCraft|Tekkit
DRM for sure.

While I LOVE Steam.. I don't think it should be a requirement for others who are not so fond.
I can only imagine the RAGE I'd feel if I were required to use Origin... (I play ME on console )

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
"1. Online activation and online requirement to play (DRM). 3rd party requirement (Steam to play Skyrim or Origin to play Mass Effect 3)."

This, without a doubt.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Mandalore5
Rookie

Current Game: Empire at War:Thrawn's Revenge
I'd vote for all of them if I could, but I mainly hate the fact that I can't actually get a physical game. If a PC/console dies, and I don't have a disc to reinstall it with, then what would I do? It's far more reliable to actually have a hard copy.

I'm Mandalore, KotOR scripter-for-hire. Some know me, most don't. Here I am either way.
My KotOR1 Restoration Project (not just mine, there's someone else): http://deadlystream.com/forum/forum/...storation-k1r/
Mandalore5 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore5 View Post
I'd vote for all of them if I could, but I mainly hate the fact that I can't actually get a physical game. If a PC/console dies, and I don't have a disc to reinstall it with, then what would I do? It's far more reliable to actually have a hard copy.
Can't speak for the rest (don't have them), but with Steam, you just redownload them. It is just like magic or having the disc, only you can't lose the disc or scratch it up.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Voted Yoda, NOT b/c there aren't problems, but b/c several of the options all seemed equally bad to me. Both DRM and lack of physical copy bother me about the same. If I'm gonna play a game, I at least want it on the disc I bought. Having DLable backups (like w/Steam, etc..) IS good, but not a substitute. #5 bothers me least, as long as the MMO type content isn't really integral to the story itself (but mostly an op to rack up a body count or just kill time, for instance). Streamlining and platform issues are in the middle with this group of options. ME3 is likely (along w/maybe TOR) to be my last vid game purchase for quite awhile.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
In many ways digital distribution implies DRM to begin with... of course not always, just look at Good Old Games... but yeah, still.

Platform issues can go the other way too of course, PC games that get horrid console ports but no one seems to complain about that since I've found that console owners are more open to having multiple platforms available to them to begin with.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
M@RS
The New Tax Collector

Yoda for, Online activation and online requirement to play (DRM) and Console Designed/PC Ported.

Looks like a fruit cake to me. - Brutus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it's like the planets are aligning or something.
M@RS is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

DRM can be gotten around, but a game made for consoles and ported to PC remains a waste.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #11
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
DRM can be gotten around, but a game made for consoles and ported to PC remains a waste.
Yeah, this.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #12
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Sabre's only miffed about consoles because he pirates all his games and you can't really do that cheaply or for free with consoles... at least newer ones that aren't handhelds since you can easily download emulators and roms for the older and less powerful ones

Old 02-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #13
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
Can't speak for the rest (don't have them), but with Steam, you just redownload them. It is just like magic or having the disc, only you can't lose the disc or scratch it up.
And with Steam, you have to hope someone doesn't hack your account or you don't get banned for some reason... I know cases where people were banned without doing anything wrong. And they don't give any explanation.

That's the problem of being dependable of 3rd party software or servers. You don't have any control over what you legally payed for. On GOG for example, you do have your account where you can download the games you legally bought any time you want. But if you choose to download the .exe and save it on a disc, hard drive, whatever, you can. And you won't ever need any kind of activation or login to play the game. It yours.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
LordOfTheFish

Current Game: Tomb Raider
Forum Veteran 
I haven't played any PC games lately, but DMR takes the cake on this one.

LordOfTheFish is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #15
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
I know cases where people were banned without doing anything wrong. And they don't give any explanation.
I don't know anyone that has been banned, but I have read about that on the internet.

I also read about people being banned from bioware or EA's website, have their game in their hands, but still can't play it because of the ban. Again, don't know anyone that was banned, but I have read it.

I'm not losing any sleep over it, I've just decided not to post on Bioware or EA's official websites or even Steam for that matter. I'll post here and wait for Lynk to ban me, he has no control over my games though.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #16
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

DRM takes the cake for me.

Runner up would be console ports.

What about DLC? Is anyone still annoyed about those things?

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #17
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimartin View Post
I'll post here and wait for Lynk to ban me, he has no control over my games though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post
What about DLC? Is anyone still annoyed about those things?
Yes. Although generally I can wait for the GotY edition or similar where it comes with all DLC. But I still hate it, though.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #18
Scorge
Jedi Master

Current Game: SWTOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Why is the option "Yoda" on pretty much every poll? LOL

Formally MrObiWan

If you need help with textures on any KotOR/TSL mod, feel free to contact me.

Scorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #19
d3sd0
Rookie

Yoda simply because almost all of the other options bother me.

To know that one has breathed easier because you have lived is to have succeeded.
d3sd0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
joesdomain
The Emperor

Current Game: The Force Unleashed
I am worried about all this online video gaming. I have been a single player video gamer all my life through PS1, PS2 and now PS3. It just discusts me that Lucasarts chose a online only game for PC for the Old republic. Where is non-online single/multiplayer Star Wars Battlefront III for consoles? Star Wars Battlefront I and II were Lucasarts highest selling video games to date. Why cancel the series after making all that money?

"You Rebel Scum"

"Wipe them out, all of them"
joesdomain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #21
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesdomain View Post
Why cancel the series after making all that money?
Who said they cancelled the series?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #22
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

They don't cancel anything at LucasArts, they just stop making stuff. It's not a very difficult concept to grasp... technically TOR isn't even a LucasArts game, it's a BioWare game.

LA does nothing.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #23
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObiWan View Post
Why is the option "Yoda" on pretty much every poll? LOL
Same reason polls have "None of the above" in them. It gives people something to vote for even if they do not care enough to think about it. Besides "it is tradition and I'm traditional kind of guy." no clue what movie/tv show that line is from
Old 02-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #24
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
LA does nothing.
When they hire a developer for a Star Wars game (Jedi Outcast, KotOR, TOR, and many others), LucasArts always takes care of the sound design.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #25
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

You mean grab pre-existing assets from the huge archive of Star Wars sounds and music in Lucas' empire and forward it to those developers?

Old 02-23-2012, 01:29 AM   #26
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
I voted for DRM, but the other thing that really bugs me is 'day 1 DLC'. Why the hell not include it in the game in the first place?

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2012, 01:46 AM   #27
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi View Post
I voted for DRM, but the other thing that really bugs me is 'day 1 DLC'. Why the hell not include it in the game in the first place?
Working with that argument fundamentally undermines the idea of DLC altogether. Why charge for extra tidbits you have cooked up after the actual game's development? Why not just give it away like you do with patches?

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2012, 02:19 AM   #28
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Yoda, that mothertrucker is showing up everywhere nowadays.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-23-2012, 06:12 AM   #29
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
You mean grab pre-existing assets from the huge archive of Star Wars sounds and music in Lucas' empire and forward it to those developers?
Probably. It may not look much, but it saves a huge time during a game development.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #30
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Yeah... the company that made games such as X-Wing are now simply errand boys... kind of like how Rare Ware made games such as Donkey Kong Country and Perfect Dark and now look at where they are... they're nowhere really, they do practically nothing but still exist.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #31
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
Pretty much. For me it's a tossup between DRM and the consoletardation of PC games.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #32
joesdomain
The Emperor

Current Game: The Force Unleashed
Instead of giving us Star Wars Battlefront III. They have two handheld only spinoffs nd release video games based on Star Wars The Clone Wars TV series and Lego Star Wars games. I am sure they probably broke even financially.

"You Rebel Scum"

"Wipe them out, all of them"
joesdomain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #33
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesdomain View Post
Instead of giving us Star Wars Battlefront III. They have two handheld only spinoffs nd release video games based on Star Wars The Clone Wars TV series and Lego Star Wars games. I am sure they probably broke even financially.
No. First, they are not stupid. They know Battlefront III is a most wanted sequel. And as you know, they were already making it for some time. If not for the company making it (Free Radical) went bankrupt, we would already be playing it. Second, they didn't just released the spin-off NDS games of The Clone Wars (and its Lego counterpart). They've also released TFU and TFUII, and SWTOR (whether you like them or not is another issue).

Old 02-28-2012, 07:51 AM   #34
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I chose "Online activation and online requirement to play (DRM)" but "Console Designed/PC Ported" isn't far behind. I'm in the military and an online option isn't feasible if I'm attached to a unit that's out to sea. For the second choice, I guess I'm really sick of looking Best Buy, Gamestop, Walmart, or any of the "big box stores" and seeing only a few PC games yet seeing so many console games available. I do have a Xbox 360 which I've hardly used and a Wii but when I feel like gaming, it's to the PC I usually go. Let's be honest - modding a game isn't something you'd seek a console out for, it's a PC.

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #35
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Developers and publishers don't find profit in the modding of PC games, they find profit in the selling of console games. Until you can find a way for PC developers/publishers to profit as greatly as they have with console games, you're all out of luck.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #36
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
I wanted to get the demo for the latest Aliens Vs. Predator game. Turns out steam pulled it, so now I can't play it, even if I download it from elsewhere! So while the DRM thing is pretty annoying, [exclusive] digital distribution has its drawbacks as well.

I'll agree console designed can also be annoying (see the Force Unleashed games).

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 AM   #37
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

So basically...

PC port of a console developed game = BAD?
Console port of a PC developed game = I don't care I own a PC!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #38
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Quote:
So basically...

PC port of a console developed game = BAD?
Console port of a PC developed game = I don't care I own a PC!
Pretty much the mentality I've seen around.

Could be worse though.. developers could say "piss on ya PC owners" and not even bother with a port. Because I can guarantee that if they (developers/studios) had to choose.. the PC is on the lo$ing $ide.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #39
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

So with that last post and it's use of the $ symbol, I'm assuming that people think the following...

Game developers and publishers = charity organisations set up just for them

Old 02-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #40
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Quote:
So with that last post and it's use of the $ symbol, I'm assuming that people think the following...

Game developers and publishers = charity organizations set up just for them
huh?

I'm just calling it like I see it. More money to be made making console games = pc on the losing side. No delusions of charity in the statement, just cold hard fact about the gaming/development trend.

I seem to recall a similar statement.

Quote:
Developers and publishers don't find profit in the modding of PC games, they find profit in the selling of console games. Until you can find a way for PC developers/publishers to profit as greatly as they have with console games, you're all out of luck.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > LucasForums Poll > What trend in the gaming industry do you find the most troubling?