lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Dual Saber Jedi?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Suaidan
Rookie

Current Game: KoToR 2
Dual Saber Jedi?

Were there any dual saber Jedi in the lore? I know i have seen saber staff ones but dual sabers? I was wondering this for some odd reason it popped into my head as to why i have seen dual weilding sith but not Jedi.

"The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about"- Derek Bok
Suaidan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Alexrd

Current Game: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 HD
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
You can see dual weilding Jedi in Attack of the Clones.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Suaidan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
You can see dual weilding Jedi in Attack of the Clones.
really? Never noticed...know about where in the film and who?

"The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about"- Derek Bok
Old 08-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Alexrd

Current Game: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 HD
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suaidan View Post
really? Never noticed...know about where in the film and who?
During the arena scene, you can see some Jedi in the background fighting with two lightsabers.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Suaidan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
During the arena scene, you can see some Jedi in the background fighting with two lightsabers.
oh yeah!!! thats right. Thanks i forgot about that huge fight scene

Old 08-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
Obi-Wan Bologna
Rookie

Kotor 2 is a prime example, Master Kavar dual wields.

Formerly Obi-Wan Baloney
Obi-Wan Bologna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Raskta Lsu
Exar Kun
Sora Bulq
Darth Krayt (Formerly Jedi A'Sharad Hett)
Starkiller Clone

There are perhaps 15 or so more in known Literature and film, but not as well known

The Style is generally known as Jar'Kai or Niman

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
Suaidan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
Raskta Lsu
Exar Kun
Sora Bulq
Darth Krayt (Formerly Jedi A'Sharad Hett)
Starkiller Clone

There are perhaps 15 or so more in known Literature and film, but not as well known

Yeah just noticed this on Wookipedia....So interesting how much lore i have NO clue about.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Star Wars, Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force is a great read and covers most Lore regarding our Fanatic plasma-sword wielding monk buddies

Old 08-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Sara Ketto. Killed by the newly christened Darth Vader. She dual wielded.

Exar Kun invented the double bladed saber in his sith days. He was a great duelist single and quite proficient dual wielder.

Kao Cen Darach was also a dual wielder but despite his supposedly superior skill and experience with the variant, he was still no match for the brute force of Lord Malgus.

Aryn Leneer also had some proficiency in dual wielding in Deceived, though initially she started out single wielding.

I personally think this style is underrated. Purists (IMO conformists) used to win the popularity vote with single bladed claiming dual wield is excessive, lacking elegance, too barbaric, and blah-blah-blah. Funny we didn't see this complaint about Maul with a double bladed saber. Whether people like it or not, it's a viable style and it's here to stay.

Even if on cutscenes in SWTOR only the primary blade is used, people like it enough to use it.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
Suaidan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Avlectus View Post
Sara Ketto. Killed by the newly christened Darth Vader. She dual wielded.

Exar Kun invented the double bladed saber in his sith days. He was a great duelist single and quite proficient dual wielder.

Kao Cen Darach was also a dual wielder but despite his supposedly superior skill and experience with the variant, he was still no match for the brute force of Lord Malgus.

Aryn Leneer also had some proficiency in dual wielding in Deceived, though initially she started out single wielding.

I personally think this style is underrated. Purists (IMO conformists) used to win the popularity vote with single bladed claiming dual wield is excessive, lacking elegance, too barbaric, and blah-blah-blah. Funny we didn't see this complaint about Maul with a double bladed saber. Whether people like it or not, it's a viable style and it's here to stay.

Even if on cutscenes in SWTOR only the primary blade is used, people like it enough to use it.
I think it is underated too, just because it was not introduced in the original series people knock it but honestly a dual saber style would rely more on finesse and speed and accuracy where are a single saber is more based on power. Dual-weilding is obviously superior.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: GTA V
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Jar'Kai was an ancient sword-fighting technique that utilized dual-wielding. Niman is a lightsaber form that balances out the others, having no specific strengths nor weaknesses. It could be used with or without two lightsabers.

Wow, I sound like a nerd.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
Suaidan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR View Post
Jar'Kai was an ancient sword-fighting technique that utilized dual-wielding. Niman is a lightsaber form that balances out the others, having no specific strengths nor weaknesses. It could be used with or without two lightsabers.

Interesting fact. Not surprising some REAL WORLD applications/methods are added to star wars, George is kind of a history buff from everything i have heard.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
JCarter426

The first example that I know of is Luke in the old Marvel Star Wars comics. The next one I can think of is Boc from the first Jedi Knight game. Then Attack of the Clones happened and now they're everywhere.

JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
Suaidan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
The first example that I know of is Luke in the old Marvel Star Wars comics. The next one I can think of is Boc from the first Jedi Knight game. Then Attack of the Clones happened and now they're everywhere.
Was Luke know for this style in the comic or did he just have this for a few fight scenes?

Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
In AotC, Anakin Force pulls Obi-wan's his lightsaber and for a moment he dual wields in a fight against Dooku.

How can people miss that one? It's the most obvious on-screen example.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #17
Suaidan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
In AotC, Anakin Force pulls Obi-wan's his lightsaber and for a moment he dual wields in a fight against Dooku.

I was more looking for the fact they use this as a style..as it is just part of their usual fighting.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #18
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
I was more looking for the fact they use this as a style..as it is just part of their usual fighting.
Well then that's just EU stuff which doesn't matter at all But in terms of making stuff up to explain obscure things that happen in the canon which is what EU is good at... I'm sure Anakin knew and was using a dual wielding saber style during that fight (which he had practiced) but doesn't dual wield regularly because it's not his favourite style.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #19
Suaidan
Rookie

Quote:
Well then that's just EU stuff which doesn't matter at all But in terms of making stuff up to explain obscure things that happen in the canon which is what EU is good at... I'm sure Anakin knew and was using a dual wielding saber style during that fight (which he had practiced) but doesn't dual wield regularly because it's not his favourite style.
Yeah, it is an actual style according to Wookiepedia called "Jar'Kai"...not sure if that style was a thought in the original idea of things or not though.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #20
JCarter426

Quote:
Was Luke know for this style in the comic or did he just have this for a few fight scenes?
It was just a one off thing, like Anakin in Attack of the Clones but more elaborate. I've never read Marvel Star Wars, I don't even know why I know this.

Here. That should explain the rest.

I've just remembered another case from before Attack of the Clones, though. One of the Council members in the comics set before Phantom Menace wielded two yellow sabers. Here's a picture.

Last edited by JCarter426; 08-03-2012 at 10:49 PM.
JCarter426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #21
Suaidan
Rookie

Quote:
It was just a one off thing, like Anakin in Attack of the Clones but more elaborate. I've never read Marvel Star Wars, I don't even know why I know this.

Here. That should explain the rest.

I've just remembered another case from before Attack of the Clones, though. One of the Council members in the comics set before Phantom Menace wielded two yellow sabers. Here's a picture.
This is such an interesting subject for me because Jedi/Sith have so much range in traits/styles/personalities that the combinations are endless.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #22
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Darth Bane had a Twi'lek master for a while who was a 'Blademaster' at the Sith Academy on Korriban. This guy knew all the lightsaber fighting styles, and taught all the sith at the academy that dual wielding was inherently a flawed style, and shouldn't be used. In reality, he secretly practised it himself, presumably because it's actually very powerful.

IIRC Revan is depicted as having dual sabers in some places, but whether this is canon or not, I don't know.

Luke Skywalker employed the use of a secondary, shorter lightsaber called a 'shoto' for a while. 'Shoto' is a Japanese word for short swords, and samurai sometimes used shoto's just like Jedi are showed as using. The Jedi are, obviously, based on samurai to some extent.

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #23
Suaidan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post
Darth Bane had a Twi'lek master for a while who was a 'Blademaster' at the Sith Academy on Korriban. This guy knew all the lightsaber fighting styles, and taught all the sith at the academy that dual wielding was inherently a flawed style, and shouldn't be used. In reality, he secretly practised it himself, presumably because it's actually very powerful.

IIRC Revan is depicted as having dual sabers in some places, but whether this is canon or not, I don't know.

Luke Skywalker employed the use of a secondary, shorter lightsaber called a 'shoto' for a while. 'Shoto' is a Japanese word for short swords, and samurai sometimes used shoto's just like Jedi are showed as using. The Jedi are, obviously, based on samurai to some extent.
That would be very like a Sith Lord to always have some edge over his apprentice.

Old 08-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #24
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Quote:

True, but Niman actually encompasses dual wielding--a recent revision to be sure. There were previously numerous "sub-forms" of lightsaber combat and techniques, strategy, tactics, etc.

It is said in some of the referenced material that ultimate mastery of dual wield requires strong proficiency to mastery of Niman. And supposedly Ataru's full mastery required dual wield.

What I wonder is why emphasis on mastering one-handed variations of all the forms isn't brought up especially if Niman blends all the forms before it (1 through 5) and dual wield is obviously 2 single blades, one in each hand.

Makashi makes the most use of single hand (though form 2 practitioners have been known to use two hands on a single blade as well), but the others do too.

Quote:
My picture album has some issues from the same series (fair to mediocre condition) I found at a yard sale a few years ago for 25 cents a piece, though not the specific issue of which you speak.

Now that I think of it, you're right about the first Jedi Knight game. Boc Aseca.

Quote:

I thought we were forgetting something.

Or the cut content where they had Christopher Lee dual wielding in a few test shoots until they decided to scrap that idea for character development of Dooku preferring single bladed. Actually reading Labyrinth of Evil right now where he interjects on the various saber forms while training General Grievous.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:25 AM   #25
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
Jar'Kai was an ancient sword-fighting technique that utilized dual-wielding. Niman is a lightsaber form that balances out the others, having no specific strengths nor weaknesses. It could be used with or without two lightsabers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Avlectus View Post
True, but Niman actually encompasses dual wielding--a recent revision to be sure.
As above

Old 08-04-2012, 04:32 AM   #26
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Quote:
As above
Oh, I'd meant to elaborate further, thanks for catching that.

It used to be that a whole other sub form Jar'Kai was based off the ancient sword style previously not incorporated with Niman but had been said to require Niman. Now it's just "part of" it--probably an editorial move on the canonecity committee's part to reduce confusion. Didn't contradict anything.

Related:
Currently with SWTOR, no mention of Djem So. I'd presume Malgus by all indications is a Sith Juggernaut using Shien but have nothing solid to go on.

I also find it curious that there's not maybe a little more about lightsaber combat for the game than what is available. It'd be nice to go into the history of Jar'Kai.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post
Ah yes. That actually was one of the best minor plot twists IMO delivered at just the right point.

I do wonder about The Echani Jedi weapons master, Raskta Lsu in the sequel and how she compared to Kas'im. I think she was slightly more devoted to lightsaber combat--
spoiler:
to her detriment
. The Twi'lek was physically superior, though, and could last longer plus had some force defenses--
spoiler:
of course this didn't save him.

The former was beat simply due to the wiles of another while unable to overcome her foe even with help, the latter bested inopportune circumstance and strategy.

Quote:
I think it might be. His chosen overall style might be that of a Jedi Master but like other masters, he was depicted after K1 as knowing at least some of the higher lightsaber forms. I have some idea on this given what info is available but it's merely inference based on my observations. So we may or may not be able to include Revan.

The Exile, again same ambiguity--could be. Indications as you know in the Revan novel are
spoiler:
she was more combat based but preferred the single blade.

Quote:
Yes. The dual wield style specifically using a regular blade and a shoto may in fact be a nod to Miyamoto Musashi who invented the 2 katanna style and is considered one of the best duelists of samurai. His strategy writings "Book of Five Rings" is quite inspirational to me personally.

IIRC Jedi are also based on shaolin monks somewhat, and of course the many variants of european knights.

Last edited by Darth Avlectus; 08-04-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #27
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

^^Great insight to the Melee arts as always GT... I mean Darth Avlectus
I quoted you as to say your explanation was my understanding of Jar'Kai too, not to correct you with LDR's quote

I'd always considered a duel wield style to be clumsy and ugly, mainly because the only time I'd seen it in canon was AOTC, in which Anakin of course uses in vain against the more seasoned duelist Count Dooku. It wasn't until I read the Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi that I really gained respect for the style. I personally still prefer a single blade though

Last edited by adamqd; 08-04-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
Suaidan
Rookie

I thought Jar'Kai and Niman were the same thing depending on where in the universe you were or did i read wrong?

Old 08-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #29
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Jar'Kai was a blanket term for dual wielding taken from a much earlier form of Sword combat, Niman was also an ancient sword-style not created by the Jedi. Much later in history, when the Jedi devised their sixth form of lightsaber combat, they named it Niman but also taught the history of its origins.

Niman isn't necessarily a dual weapon style, only that it lends itself well to said style. Ataru can also utilize two blades within its structure.

I'm assuming it has two names because of some slip up in continuity in times gone by lol. From what I can decipher, Jar'kai was created during the early nineties Expanded Universe, The Jedi Knight series I think. Then during the prequels I assume Anakin's style was called Niman in a visual guide or something... happens all the time. (Could be wrong, just a guess)

Old 08-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #30
Obi-Wan Bologna
Rookie

Ahsoka Tano apparently started using a shoto at some point.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ahsoka_Tano

And we all know Ventress almost always uses two blades, but hers are both the same length and can be connected to make a dual-blade.

Here's the wookiepedia link on shotos if your interested

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shoto

Formerly Obi-Wan Baloney
Obi-Wan Bologna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #31
Suaidan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Bologna View Post
Ahsoka Tano apparently started using a shoto at some point.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ahsoka_Tano

And we all know Ventress almost always uses two blades, but hers are both the same length and can be connected to make a dual-blade.

Here's the wookiepedia link on shotos if your interested

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shoto
Yeah Ventress almost always has the 2 long sabers.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #32
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Hard to keep track of 'em all.

Ventress, a misguided force adept according to Kenobi at some later date. She in known by most for having dual wielded, though she started out with a single blade. Taken from her slain master, while in grieving.
Which has its connection: She received her dual blades from Count Dooku. The blades belonged to his former apprentice, Komari Vosa some time. Fallen to the dark side, Vosa became a target and a prey for bounty hunter competing for both a large sum of money and immortality through becoming the specimen for the clone troopers. So you can add her to dual wielding.

Speaking of Kenobi, he had another dealing with yet another who had fallen to the dark side: A'Sharad Hett born of a Tusken Raider tribe, he was the son of Jedi Sharad Hett. A'Sharad Hett was a dual wielder as well.

@adam: Thanks. Hey, regardless of intent you still helped me remember something.

Edit: Ah yes, and another one is Jaric Kaedan. Seen in the lost suns comic, wielding dual blades while near Satele Shan, preapring for a fight. Noted as a "living weapon" and a master of Juyo-Kos, apparently another name for the seventh lightsaber form. Perhaps the additional "kos" name refers to the dual wield variant?

Juyo-Kos, J-K; J'K, Jar'Kai.

Last edited by Darth Avlectus; 08-05-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #33
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Current Game: Skyrim
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Dual-wielding is a gimic that any Jedi should be ashamed of using!

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #34
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

I'm glad to see I settled the debate.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #35
Trench
Guy with Monocle

Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Quote:
I'm glad to see I settled the debate.

I object! There is no proof!

Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #36
Kyr'am Galaar

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trench View Post
I object! There is no proof!
I concur. I am enjoying this debate very much.

Carry on.

Love(HAHA-no...),
~KG~

|~La-da-di-do-laaaa!!! I am an oh-so evil sith lawd! And a mando cheftan, and a aich-kay assashshshasssasa... Assassshasshasasha. Ass... I kill shtuf. And imma robot. Beep boop beep bop~|

|~La-da-di-do-laaaa!!! I am an oh-so evil sith lawd! And a mando cheftan, and a aich-kay assashshshasssasa... Assassshasshasasha. Ass... I kill shtuf. And imma robot. Beep boop beep bop~|
Kyr'am Galaar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-15-2012, 03:46 AM   #37
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Quote:
Coming from the samurai with 3 blades about his person. Just to look fancy.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #38
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

That's totally different!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #39
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

...OK you got me.

BTW, I have a confession to make: I killed GTA:SWcity.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #40
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Dual Saber Jedi?