lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Atton or Carth
Atton Rand 8 47.06%
Carth Onasi 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Whos better, Carth or Atton?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
darthnihl
Banned

Current Game: KOTOR 2
Whos better, Carth or Atton?

Well who?
darthnihl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Laar_Dha
Rookie

Current Game: Skyrim
Oh, you cruel and sadistic pollster! Choose?!?! Can't I pick both? Pretty please.

No? Well, I guess depends on what you mean by better.
Better, as in good, dependable, and trustworthy - Carth.
Better, as in sneaky, clever, and can find a way out of trouble - well, that's Atton.
I ended up not voting. Cannot make a choice without more specific criteria.

Ke nu'jurkadir sha Mando'ade
Laar_Dha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
JuniorModder

I think Atton is less annoying, and more likable. But Carth is more loyal, and probably a better person.

JuniorModder
JuniorModder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
darthnihl
Banned

laar_dha, Atton is force sensitive, brave, and not a whiny SOB. What more do u need.

Last edited by RedHawke; 10-26-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Laar_Dha
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthnihl View Post
laar_dha, Atton is force sensitive, brave, and not a whiny SOB. What more do u need.
You know something? The people who think Carth is whiny all seem to be male. Besides, if you didn't want opinions, you shouldn't have asked for them.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Voted Carth, but I only did it to balance the poll.

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Allronix
Forumite

Mr. Onasi. Hands down.

First of all, he is a man of great loyalty, honesty, and bravery. He knows where he stands. In the first ten minutes of the game, he's saved your PC twice at great risk to himself. He is a pragmatic lightsider (as evidenced with the bounty hunters and the old man, the bounties from Zak's office, and his "I'm glad to see we're still the good guys here" line when you act charitable). He's still devoted to the memory of his wife and son, trying to get Dustil back from the Sith. He is man enough to apologize to Mission and to want to take care of her. He's not the best fighter by a longshot, but he's got enough heart to make up for shortcomings there.

Atton changes his loyalties more frequently than his shorts. Let's see, betrays the Republic. Then, betrays the Sith. His almost-casual tone when he's talking about how much he hurt that Jedi woman and how much he enjoyed it reminds me of a sociopath I had the misfortune to encounter. Then Kreia has to mind-rape and blackmail his sorry hide just to stay with you. He admits he's hoping you get him killed, and it's implied that he was Coorta's contact, meaning he was the one about ready to hand you over to GOTO. And he's a compulsive gambler and borderline drunk on top of all those.

Piloting:
Carth only crashed the ship once. Atton crashed damn near everything he flew.

Fighting:
Atton's special ability was handy, but his stats bit hard. Carth had better balance when it came to stats and more staying power in a fight. I do not count the Force-sensitivity either way, as there are quite a few in-game hints that Mr. Onasi is also FS.

Women:

Atton killed a Jedi "because he loved her," and tells the whole story of how he tortured her in a very creepy near-monotone. He also acts like a sleeze towards F!Exile. Combined with his utter inability to stay loyal to much of anything? If he asks for your number, run like hell.

Carth? Faithful to his wife, and faithful to her memory after she's gone. When he does come out of his shell, he's respectful, if a bit fond of kidding around ("Hairless Wookiee"). Hell, his K2 speech even indicates he's faithful to Revan (either gender, but Sbarge really kills you if you say Revan was LSF) four years after she vanishes. In the DSF ending, he flees because he knows he can't fight, but he makes a last-ditch attempt to march in and save you from yourself, knowing he's dead either way.

It's not even a contest.

Allronix - KOTOR Filefront Supporter
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/

Please bring your mods. They'll give them a good home!
Allronix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
Laar_Dha
Rookie

I couldn't have said half so well, Allronix. Thanks for putting it into words.

And on a more superficial note, he's really handsome(for a computer character, that is) Ooh, now I have to vote for Carth.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
TKA-001
I sneer at thee.

Forum Veteran 
As a character (that is, a component that enhances the story), I'd vote for Atton in my sleep. His backstory outclasses Carth's in both originality and level of interest.

"I'm a dedicated and skilled war veteran who's never done a bad turn in my life, and because my wife and son were killed when my mentor betrayed us (WHAAAAAH WANGST WANGST WANGST), I don't trust you or the Jedi and am utterly incapable of believing that anyone else knows better than me. Nevertheless, I'll stick by you through thick and thin. I hope you don't mind me compulsively whining about the Jedi Order not telling its secret plan to end the war to a random soldier and displacing my unresolved feelings with Saul on you."

Even though both of them are wangsted to hell in the fan fics, I still prefer Atton's backstory, if only because it's not packed with so many cliches. Furthermore, Atton was never as obnoxious as Carth (and people say Anakin and Luke whine too much in the movies), and he doesn't have a lost son (who in turn has a lost brain). His easy-going wisecracker style reminded me enough of Han Solo that he struck me as being tolerable company (and as far as liking Atton personally goes, as he is in TSL he's at worst only slightly more evil than Han in ANH), and I liked most of his one-liners and other witty remarks ("...so you'll have to do without me for a while. I know, you're crushed."). It's not a contest because Carth is so uninspired that anyone going up against him that has a shred of originality in him or her automatically wins.

"There is something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty." -Winston Churchill

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" -John Whittier

"Apathy is death." -Kreia

Last edited by TKA-001; 10-26-2009 at 03:54 PM.
TKA-001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-25-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
darthnihl
Banned

Stunned silence at what allronix said. That revolutionizes my view
Old 10-26-2009, 01:05 AM   #11
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Carth hands down. It's not even a contest.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
Allronix
Forumite

Kotor Fanmedia ran the same poll. Mind you, KFM is made up of fanfic writers, with the gender makeup that implies.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #13
Demongo
Afro Skeleton

Current Game: Street Fighter IV
I.......think I'll vote for.............Mr. Onasi. But it's very neat.

Bink's Sake

"I've barely eaten anything for many decades now. It feels like my stomach shriveled into my back........though i don't have a stomach or back because i'm a skeleton! Yohohohoho! SKULL JOKE!"

"My eyes have never seen such a pretty woman! But i'm a skeleton so my eyes don't see much."
Demongo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
JuniorModder

I like em' both, but for different reasons. But Atton still stole my vote.

JuniorModder
JuniorModder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #15
Allronix
Forumite

Oh, Atton would be ticked and lose his cool. Just start asking him about Jedi.

Quote:
Atton: "What makes you think you've got the right to interrogate me on anything? You've got plenty of lives to answer for—all you Jedi do. How did you even live with yourself after Malachor? Is that why you went back to the Jedi Council? Hoping they'd kill you? Wasn't it? Maybe you thought they'd forgive you—sure, you might have thought they'd execute you. But Jedi don't kill, do they? At least not their prisoners. Maybe you were counting on it when you went back in chains. So you got off easy—you were exiled, brushed under the cargo ramp, another dirty little Jedi secret. I'll tell you—all those Jedi at Malachor? They deserved it. Every last one of them."

Exile: How can you say such a thing?

Atton: "Because Jedi lie. And they manipulate. And every act of charity or kindness they do, you can drag it out squirming into the light and see it for what it is. The galaxy doesn't need Jedi arrogance or Jedi hypocrisy anymore."
Besides he's got his own secrets, remember? Glass houses. Not to mention no particular loyalty to anything.

And Carth may not take it very well - who can blame the guy, really? Meets up with the slimebag of a mentor he once trusted with everything, the guy who has been the target of his thoughts for four years. Saul proceeds to prove what a smug jerk he is and torture him. They escape, march up to the bridge (and who else engages solo mode, hands Flyboy a pair of vibroblades, and sends him directly after Saul?), and Saul uses his last breath to f--k with Carth's head. Under the circumstances, his reaction's pretty restrained.

So, Carth needs a planet's worth of time to process it, and make his decision.

Quote:
"I can't hate you. I tried... I wanted to hold you responsible for all the things you've done. For my... for my wife, for Telos... for Dustil. But I can't...I got the revenge I always wanted when Saul died, but it hasn't brought me the peace that I thought it would...That's why I can't hate you, why I don't want any more revenge. You don't have to be Revan, you can be so much more. Whatever the Jedi did to you, they gave you that chance."

Old 10-27-2009, 08:27 AM   #16
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Males who don't like Carth should do a K1 playthrough as a female Revan. The Carth romance is way, way more mature than the Bastila romance and it reveals a lot more about Carth's character.

That said, for me it's pretty much a draw.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #17
R2-X2

Current Game: KotOR again. F*** yeah.
I never liked Atton, and Carth is not that good, too, but he's still much better, loyal, and a nica fighter. ---> Carth

Beep.
R2-X2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #18
DarthKrayt
Banned

Okay then, well what makes atton better is that he has no loyalties. He knows how to survive.
DarthKrayt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #19
Ping
Elementary.

Roleplayer 
I kind of like them both, but I'm leaning towards Atton, just because he annoyed me a bit less when I played TSL.

"There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability" - xxxHoLiC

"Justice? But I don't serve justice, Watson, I serve the truth." - Sherlock Holmes
Ping is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #20
Hallucination
Baron von Sexy

Current Game: HKO closed beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Q View Post
The Carth romance is way, way more mature than the Bastila romance and it reveals a lot more about Carth's character.
By that you mean you get to see his boobs, right?

Let's kill ourselves.
Hallucination is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #21
EricDraven
Rookie

Atton all the way!
EricDraven is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2010, 09:42 AM   #22
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Probably Carth. I never really found him annoying. Plus, I couldn't never convince myself to turn Atton into a Jedi. He just doesn't fit the mold.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #23
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

I also like Carth better. I never found him annoying either, and when I played TSL, I couldn't help but thinking that Atton was a sequeled-version of Carth.

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #24
Te Darasuum Mandalor
Forumite

Current Game: POTC: New Horizons
There is a joke that goes around in my house, my siblings say "Carth is a Jerk because he is so whiny!" and for Atton..... "I'm as stupid as stupid will ever be!" which was a parody of his best line "I'm as Atton as Atton will ever be." Carth is a soldier, but Atton is cooler overall. He is a Jedi, he is a pilot, he is a sith, and he is good looking (for video game standards). I think his love story with Exile is better than Carth+Revan. Though they are both annoying, I vote for Atton.

Mrcharlton only uses LucasForums for social groups and RPs
Te Darasuum Mandalor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #25
Endorenna
Gamer Wanna-be

Current Game: inFamous/Uncharted 2
Let's see. Carth has a bad past and whines about it constantly. Atton has a bad past and doesn't whine about it, even when the Exile discovers it. Carth is no fun to talk to, and Atton is hilarious. Carth's voice annoys me...okay, so does Atton's. Carth professes his love to the PC while standing thirty feet away from her, and he doesn't even bother to kiss her despite the fact she's about to go to her death (probably). Atton's romance doesn't really have a satisfying ending, but that, IMO, is better than the end of the Carth romance. Carth is terrible in a fight, while Atton is great to have around.

Also, Atton is kinda cute, while Carth is...not.

Chapter 12 of A Soul Adrift is out.

Short stories:
T'katlu: On the planet Felucia, a young apprentice of the Dark Side thinks back to the beginning of her training as she lies in wait for her prey...

All the Time: After four years in the Unknown Regions, the Exile returns to the known galaxy to visit an old enemy.

Broken: A master of the Dark Side finds himself about to lose the one thing he cares about--and he will do anything to stop her from endangering herself.
Endorenna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2010, 12:04 AM   #26
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Ah, to hell with both of them. Kick 'em off a cliff.

To their credit they both want a piece of hawt jedi arse. One whines, the other I guess is a creep. *shrug*
harharhar

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2010, 03:51 AM   #27
Allronix
Forumite

Ah, GTA. Tatooine would flood if we ever agreed on something :wink:

Though I remember one quote on KFM regarding the "hawt Jedi arse"

"Yes, Atton and Carth want to get into a nice set of Jedi pants. The difference is that Carth would like to marry the Jedi in said pants."

Where I actually decided Onasi was a nice guy? The banters with Mission. Yeah, those two started off on the wrong note. The second banter where he was man enough to apologize to the kid and admit he needed her help helped warm up my opinion. By contrast, how Atton treated the Handmaiden and/or Disciple and T3-M4 really put me off.

Playing through both games now.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:39 AM   #28
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Well, tatooine would, but where's all the water?

From a guy's perspective:
As a male exile his harshness towards others comes across more as unspoken loyalty.
Well Atton is only kind of creepy, playing as a fem exile. But so was it kind of creepy from disciple and you could see his moves a mile away. All in relative senses.
As either male or female exile, Atton won't admit it but there is a lot more care and loyalty under the surface. Plus to go from jedi killer to remorseful and even "atoning" about it says a lot as well.
As far as him being harsh
1)towards Handmaiden... Remember the saying "bros before hoes"? He's looking out for your male exile and it isn't exactly without good reason because if you'll recall she *was* first to confront you on Telos' polar academy AND she *did* sneak aboard. Suppose it's also a tad personal/professional, she works for the republic, he doesn't care too much for the republic.
2) As far as his treatment towards Disciple...well, it's a cultural and male competitive thing. Disciple is like a royal gentleman hopelessly doomed to be stepped on and "just friends" in a more American like society--poor chap. Granted, Atton is being like a typical American guy--a jerk. But it's not all jealousy, it's competition too. Perhaps mingled with dislike for the republic which disciple serves.

EDIT: Well, Mira did catch him eavesdropping, and outlined his flaws which *do* come standard on a regular guy.

Far as Carth... whiny in either case but openly and undeniably loyal--you have to be the one to betray him. He does eventually have a legit reason for his issues.
As a male character, I wouldn't exactly call him bro but I suppose like a good neighbor. Maybe like family given enough time and knowledge of him.
As a female character...Carth's approach isn't the way I'd go about hitting on fem revan if I were in his spot. However, the writer *did* at least get the confidence part down (if nothing else). Confidence works for any guy's game. Period.
He never does let you go wrong though his methods may lack firmness and resolve at times. His main concerns are the republic and isn't sure about the mandalorian. Canderous, bah, he's like an old biker dude and probably has women-squeezes everywhere; a bit of native American Warrior IMO (speaking as part Native American myself). Anyways, I always do at least try to have it so Carth deals the killing blow to Saul.

Last edited by Darth Avlectus; 04-16-2010 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #29
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
The question should be if they were working together, who would pilot the Ebon Hawk.

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-18-2010, 12:07 AM   #30
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Look, Allronix, your epic fanfic is coming true!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #31
Roller123
Rookie

Atton: cool
Carth: whiner
Roller123 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #32
Fredi
El Guapo

Atton. I don't like Carth.

"Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It's about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual."
Fredi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #33
Allronix
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA:SWcity View Post
Look, Allronix, your epic fanfic is coming true!
*snerk* Actually, if I were to kill off Rand? Obsidian's cut content where Atton sacrificed himself against Sion was gorgeous. Will not argue it.

Dark Side Atton? I'd hand the job to Mical, and just to add a little insult, have Mikey shoot the guy.

"Yeah, I knew what you were. I know your real name, your body count, your rather dubious service record, and I knew them about twenty minutes after meeting you. Say what you like about Jedi, but do not cross Republic Intelligence."

Old 04-25-2010, 05:17 AM   #34
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
I thought I had posted in this thread (or maybe a similar one?) I like Carth but I always thought he was too emotional and I rather enjoyed Atton's laid back attitude. If it were real life I don't think I could sit in the cockpit with Carth for two minutes and listen to him rant on about getting his revenge or lecture me on being a useless Jedi or a Sith (all of that negative energy would make me want to plant my lightsaber into his cranium), I would much rather play pazzak with Atton

Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #35
Zarza Mora
Rookie

Current Game: Oblivion
Apples and oranges, sentient. Apples and oranges.

"Maybe there is no Heaven.
Or maybe this is all pure gibberish -
a product of the demented imagination
of a lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate
who has found a way to live out where the real winds blow -
to sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink whiskey,
and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind
except falling in love and not getting arrested...
Res ipsa loquitur.
Let the good times roll."

-Hunter S. Thompson
Zarza Mora is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #36
Revan 411
Forumite

Their both great in their own unique way. Carth for the voice, and Atton for the relate-able attitude he has.

I like them both, and I honestly can't choose one over the other. Plus, their both better then Bastila.

Revan 411 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #37
Roller123
Rookie

How dare you Although i do like the starting combo of Kreia+Atton more, being not so utterly clichee. Still...
Roller123 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #38
Forogorn
Rookie

I believe that both Atton and Carth are great characters. Carth's not whiny one bit, in fact, he is honest and loyal, especially to female Revan. As for Atton, he's cool and all, but if I were to hang out with him, he might assassinate me...

There is no emotion; there is peace.
There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
There is no passion; there is serenity.
There is no death; there is the Force.
Forogorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-09-2010, 05:29 AM   #39
StarHero-D
Rookie

carth ftw no doubt there

The Hero of the Galaxy

Filefront Name: uroll
StarHero-D is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #40
Smashbro1000
Rookie

I think both characters strike an interesting parallel. Carth Onasi is a decorated Republic war hero, and Atton Rand... well...
Show spoiler

Both Carth and Atton are some the first party members in KOTOR and TSL, respectively, so they both stand as veterans, in terms of being your character's companion. Both have pasts they'd rather not speak of, adding elements of mystery to their character - this compelled me to converse with them, in order to discover the truth.

Carth is a soldier, and Atton is a scoundrel, and though they both use blasters, they have different talents.

Which one is better?

Neither; they are both unique and excellent characters - I couldn't choose one over the other.
Smashbro1000 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Game Discussion > Republic Newsfeed > Whos better, Carth or Atton?