lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Catherine (X360/PS3)
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Catherine (X360/PS3)

It's public knowledge that people here seldomly care for japanese games. Add that to the fact that this game certainly has some content that is way out of the PG13 tier and you'll understand my hesitation before deciding to post this. At any rate, it's Atlus (Shin Megami Tensei series, Persona series) we're talking about here, one of the few game companies worth following nowadays; plus it seems that this game has something of fresh we're so desperate for.

Quote:
In the latest issue of the Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu, the well-known publisher/developer Atlus has revealed Catherine, a new and extremely adult-centric action adventure game for the PS3 and Xbox 360. With key members of the Persona team working on Catherine, the game could be more than a trippy adventure filled with some anime t&a.

Catherine doesn’t have the typical plot one would expect from an Atlus game let alone a Japanese action adventure title. Gamers follow Vincent, a 32 year-old man who’s at a stage in his life in which he doesn’t know what he wants from love. But this changes when Vincent meets Catherine, a buxom 22 year-old lady. Despite meeting Catherine and her being his type, Vincent ends up having nightmares, which surprisingly is where the core of the gameplay takes place.

Vincent’s dream world is indeed an odd one based on the Famitsu screens. With a world that consists of never-ending staircases, bi-pedal goats and pure traumatic events (Vincent walking around in just his boxers), it looks like we’re going to get an experience that hasn’t yet been shown before in games.

If it wasn’t obvious by now, Catherine is a game that’s being made directly with a mature audience in mind. And by mature I don’t mean for the type that likes dudebro games and tons of blood. With a focus on nightmares, relationships, a healthy amount of anime cleavage and an underlying mystery, Catherine kind of seems like a mix of a David Cronenberg movie and a Suda 51 game.

Catherine is currently set for a winter release in Japan for the PS3 and Xbox 360. A North American/European release wasn’t discussed but is likely to happen as Atlus’ previous games have been released outside of Japan.
http://www.shogungamer.com/news/atlu...adventure-game

Trailer:
View page
YouTube Video

And this site here should contain translations of some images: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...ook_catherine/

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
interesting

also interesting that it is both PS3 & 360, I wonder if the eventual P5 will go that route, not that I have/would have any complaints about it.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Hmm. Might be worth a look if it makes it over there...

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

New trailer, may be a bit close to NSFW territory, but you should be ok XD

View page
YouTube Video

Having seen both trailers now I can say 2 things. 1.) I have no ****ing idea what is going on and 2.) I want this game...

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Old 09-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
Alkonium
To Mend and Defend

Current Game: Guild Wars 2
Roleplayer Forum Veteran 
Is there a word that means both baffling and awesome, because that's what that was. It was bafflawesome, or aweffling, bawesomffling.

Alkonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Flabbergasted?

Old 09-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Having seen both trailers now I can say 2 things. 1.) I have no ****ing idea what is going on and 2.) I want this game...
Ditto. There's a Katherine now. I'm even more clueless.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Nobody does weird quite like the Japanese.

Btw, the sub for the last scene (しかし,このポーズ) should translate to something like "But, this pose". Presumably something doesn't quite gel in the picture he received.

EDIT: Someone put an English subbed version up over at GameTrailers - http://www.gametrailers.com/user-mov...ylist=featured

Last edited by DarthParametric; 09-18-2010 at 01:53 AM.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Couple of new vids (well the first one is a month old):

Opening cinematic - http://www.gametrailers.com/video/op...therine/706373

Breaking news cinematic - http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ja...therine/707325
Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #10
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
So apparently it's a platformer/puzzle game?

View page
YouTube Video
Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
It's an Adventure game, or so the devs claim. It seems like a collection of minigames of sorts. There's also a texting gameplay, as seen here:
View page
YouTube Video

As much as it looks bizarre, I have an almost unhealthy trust in those guys. I know some peeps who are kinda disappointed at the shown gameplay but I remain faithful. Persona always looked bizarre too and look at what they did. 'Sides, who knows, if this block-hiking thing is really the core gameplay (which it probably is once you look at the achievements list - highly "spoilerful" or so I'm told), it might be fun.

Finally, a remarkable quote from Destructoid on these leaked achievements:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructoid
The ones I can tell you about, though, are the bits that reveal more about how this action-puzzler will play. Achievements for using special "Jump Stones" and triggering chain explosions also abound, including helping other characters with their problems. Methinks Vincent might not be exploring just his own nightmares.

Other, quirkier achievements include outlasting all other patrons at the Stray Sheep bar, answering texts, and listening to information about the many drink mixes available at the bar. Incidentally, getting plastered at the bar does in fact make Vincent more agile in the nightmare world.

I can't wait for some folks to freak out about Catherine supposedly promoting alcoholism. Then again, given what happens to men who cheat on their girlfriends in the game, you could also say it promotes monogamy.
Source: http://www.destructoid.com/catherine...c-188702.phtml

In other news tonight, there are rumors of a Demo coming for the XBL. Let's expect it for before the scheduled japanese release date, but I ain't holding my breath.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #12
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Every new trailer leaves me both more confused and intrigued at the same time...

Old 03-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #13
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

http://catherinethegame.com/

Boom. Summer 2011. Let the mind**** begin.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #14
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Hm. A mix of horror, insects, goats, and blood in a modern type of title on top of some dude's intrigue and hunny-hunny time with his lady. Interesting. I think I'll follow.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #15
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Two ladies. Catherine and Katherine
Old 03-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #16
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Also, you play as a dude that runs around pushing, pulling and climbing blocks in his heart-print underwear and sheep horns to escape death. What is not to love?

Old 03-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #17
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Interesting. I've never really been interested in any japanese games, but this actually has me intrigued.

--Too Dumb to Quit--
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #18
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverandbacon View Post
I've never really been interested in any japanese games
I'm sorry, a life without Mario, Link, Snake, Samus, Vic Viper et al must have sucked.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #19
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Not to mention the fact that gaming wouldn't have gotten as far as it has without those Japanese created characters...

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #20
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The special edition takes a slightly different tack than most with its included extras:

Boxer shorts, t-shirt, Catherine (in lingerie of course) pillow case, all packed in a pizza box.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #21
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
The special edition takes a slightly different tack than most with its included extras:
Which are awesome.

I mean, I'm not sure I'd be showing the boxers or the pillow around, but the shirt is well-worth it.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #22
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I'm sorry, a life without Mario, Link, Snake, Samus, Vic Viper et al must have sucked.
I haven't even HEARD of any of them except for Mario. I HAVE played the original mario games, if that helps.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #23
Blix
Veteran

Current Game: Morrowind & Dark Arisen
I've heard of this game, the character designs remind me a lot of Persona. I think it looks pretty awesome to be honest.
Blix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2011, 04:48 PM   #24
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
I haven't even HEARD of any of them except for Mario.
o.o

Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #25
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
o.o
He also doesn't think we landed on the moon yet, so go figure.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #26
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
He also doesn't think we landed on the moon yet, so go figure.
Am I gonna be flamed throughout the forums for this? I believe we have been to the moon. I just believe the original moon landing was a hoax.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #27
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
Which are awesome.

I mean, I'm not sure I'd be showing the boxers or the pillow around, but the shirt is well-worth it.
I'm so conflicted over this thing XD, the balance between awesome and shame is constantly shifting, haha.

Quote:
I haven't even HEARD of any of them except for Mario. I HAVE played the original mario games, if that helps.
O_o .oO(wut?) But seriously even if you've never played the games I'd figure that at the least everyone with a remote interest in video games would know who Link is and to a lesser extent Snake. Though to be fair I suppose that most 'uneducated' gamers usually start off thinking Link is actually 'Zelda'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blix View Post
I've heard of this game, the character designs remind me a lot of Persona. I think it looks pretty awesome to be honest.
That's because the Persona team developed this game. Which is awesome.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #28
Liverandbacon
I'm only worth a piano?

Forum Veteran LF Jester Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Nah, my life's actually been pretty awesome so far, possibly because gaming's never been my main form of recreation, just a very enjoyable secondary one. Thanks for the concern though. (I'll admit my post was a bit of a lie though. I have been interested in Snake and Samus' games, just never enough to actually buy and play them. Partly because I've done very little console gaming.)

Quote:
Not to mention the fact that gaming wouldn't have gotten as far as it has without those Japanese created characters...
Just because I don't have much interest in playing them doesn't mean I don't appreciate what they've done for the medium.

However:
Quote:
I don't even understand how this is possible.

Edit: Didn't realize I'd opened this window an hour ago, a lot of posts since I initially looked.

Quote:
Am I gonna be flamed throughout the forums for this? I believe we have been to the moon. I just believe the original moon landing was a hoax.
Realistically, yes, you will. I'd say it's not as much flaming as it is friendly(ish) mockery. Hey, at least you know what you're best known for around here. You're the Moon Landing Hoax Guy. I still think it's an absurd opinion, for many reasons, but it's harmless, so I personally don't mind it much.

--Too Dumb to Quit--

Last edited by Liverandbacon; 05-03-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Liverandbacon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #29
Primogen

Current Game: The Witcher
Flamed? Son, I've flamed people professionally, you haven't tasted the flames yet. This is just friendly ribbing.

The Crown of Albion, an Arthurian Mythology RP
Dark Age of the Republic, a Star Wars RP
Primogen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #30
GeneralPloKoon
Just a Time Traveller

Current Game: Borderlands (PS3)
Quote:
What?! You must have? The heroes of The Legend of Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, Metroid, and Gradius?

I mean Zelda is one of the greatest game series...ever.
GeneralPloKoon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #31
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
I'm so conflicted over this thing XD, the balance between awesome and shame is constantly shifting, haha.
Wouldn't be the nerdiest thing I've ever dressed (although, I admit, I have an acute sense of personal fashion which usually don't include game themes) and besides the average joe will think of it as just another humor-attempt t-shirt.

Quote:
Though to be fair I suppose that most 'uneducated' gamers usually start off thinking Link is actually 'Zelda'.
Me, ten years ago.

PS: have you no shame, Taak?

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #32
Rogue Nine
*static*

Current Game: Bravely Default
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
PS: have you no shame, Taak?
He also doesn't have a clue.

have a suggestion for the lf poll? pm me
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-04-2011, 01:07 AM   #33
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPloKoon View Post
What?! You must have? The heroes of The Legend of Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, Metroid, and Gradius?

I mean Zelda is one of the greatest game series...ever.
**** You. I have an overwhelming desire to play Gradius now.

Edit: YES!!!

Quote:
Wouldn't be the nerdiest thing I've ever dressed (although, I admit, I have an acute sense of personal fashion which usually don't include game themes) and besides the average joe will think of it as just another humor-attempt t-shirt.
I was mostly referring to the pillowcase... I can't even imagine the looks/questions I would get from my friends if they came over and saw that thing chilling on my bed.

Last edited by Mav; 05-04-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #34
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Nine View Post
He also doesn't have a clue.
Cheers :P

No..never played those games mentioned..

Old 05-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #35
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

So.... I caved guys. XD

Old 05-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #36
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
You got the pillowcase?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #37
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Mav's pillowcase will be all soft and have that new pillowcase smell, but in about a week it's gonna be all cracked and hard...

Old 05-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #38
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
You got the pillowcase?
I pre-ordered the pizza box edition, yeah XD.

Quote:
Mav's pillowcase will be all soft and have that new pillowcase smell, but in about a week it's gonna be all cracked and hard...
Actually I'm planning on selling the pillowcase to darky, you think he'll buy Lynk?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #39
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

He'll buy it for a high price.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #40
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I'm surprised you can't print your own love pillows via Cafe Press and the like. Surely that's a rich untapped market.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > The Outlander Club > Catherine (X360/PS3)