lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Daft Punk fans?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Daft Punk fans?

Anyone on LF a huge Daft Punk fan like me?

A little over a month until the new album drops!

View page
YouTube Video

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
i wouldn't call myself a huge Daft Punk fan, but i've definitely been wanting to see some new stuff from them for a while now (the Tron: Legacy soundtrack only partially counts in my book). been getting my electro fix from Deadmau5 and assorted dubstep, but i could really use a shot of their creativity.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Big fan here, although I'd say my peak "fandom" was around 1997- 2002, not because they began to suck or anything, just that those were the years I was Clubbing and being mainstream, like going to shows, DJ sets and clubs across Europe. after that I went back to my classic Rock roots and less of a party lifestyle. But yes, I will definitely be getting this album, and the sneak peak track is sweet.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
urluckyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingerhs View Post
i wouldn't call myself a huge Daft Punk fan, but i've definitely been wanting to see some new stuff from them for a while now (the Tron: Legacy soundtrack only partially counts in my book). been getting my electro fix from Deadmau5 and assorted dubstep, but i could really use a shot of their creativity.
I think the reason why I love Daft Punk so much is because they really fill sort of a niche that they created. Like there's just no way to put a finger on their type of music. Where as Deadmau5 and others fit into dubstep, Daft Punk just kind of has a genre on its own.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
urluckyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
Big fan here, although I'd say my peak "fandom" was around 1997- 2002, not because they began to suck or anything, just that those were the years I was Clubbing and being mainstream, like going to shows, DJ sets and clubs across Europe. after that I went back to my classic Rock roots and less of a party lifestyle. But yes, I will definitely be getting this album, and the sneak peak track is sweet.
Disco is back, baby!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
Man, gotta love Daft Punk. Aerodynamics is great

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
urluckyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taak Farst View Post
Man, gotta love Daft Punk. Aerodynamics is great
That's what I love to hear!

So glad that there are some other fans on these forums!

Old 04-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #8
urluckyday

Could this be the first actual leak of the full song? Pretty incredible fake if it's not...

http://news.beatport.com/blog/2013/0...dgers-in-full/

Old 04-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #9
Ctrl Alt Del
Uncreative User

Current Game: Dishonored
Forum Veteran 
Yep, huge fan here as well. Been expecting this new album for months. Only Daft Punk fills the interwebs with dozens of remixes and extended versions of a 15 seconds long song.

Inspiration

.Bioshock inspiration.
Ctrl Alt Del is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #10
urluckyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl Alt Del View Post
Yep, huge fan here as well. Been expecting this new album for months. Only Daft Punk fills the interwebs with dozens of remixes and extended versions of a 15 seconds long song.
Right? Pretty incredible group of fans!

Old 04-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #11
urluckyday

Get ready - the OFFICIAL "Get Lucky" single is going to be released at 12:01 am (ET)! A little over 20 minutes from now!

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/170...-release.jhtml

Old 04-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

I kinda like Get Lucky, but it's definitely not one of the best tracks

EDIT: Well, lemme add to that. It's amazing. Definitely gets better with each listen. God I can't help but uncontrollably sing along.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #13
urluckyday

Quote:
I kinda like Get Lucky, but it's definitely not one of the best tracks

EDIT: Well, lemme add to that. It's amazing. Definitely gets better with each listen. God I can't help but uncontrollably sing along.
It's definitely different. This isn't Daft Punk's first inclusion of a noticeable amount of lyrics into their music but after the mechanical nature of the "Human After All" album (which I still enjoyed), this is a welcome return. Daft Punk's style just changes so drastically with EVERY album they come out with and that's one of the biggest reasons why I love them - but no matter what, they always make it so funky!

Based on this song alone, I think we're looking at an album jam-packed with funky grooves which are reminiscent of the disco era - something that I'm definitely looking forward to.

Also keep in mind that this is specifically termed the "radio edit" of Get Lucky. I saw somewhere that the full album version is over 6 minutes long which would leave me to believe that there are more guitar riffs and you hear some more from the "robots."

Old 04-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I hope they'll be doing the score for the next Tron movie too when it eventually comes out.

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
Pho3nix
#rekt

10 year veteran! 
While I don't consider myself a fan, I really enjoyed the Tron soundtrack... I'll definitely put the new album on my "to-listen" list.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #16
urluckyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron View Post
I hope they'll be doing the score for the next Tron movie too when it eventually comes out.
I have to imagine that they'd be asked. With Daft Punk's record of not wanting to create the same sound over multiple albums, it's unclear as to whether or not they would want to do another Tron soundtrack.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #17
Vindikorr
Rookie

Current Game: TOR
Just by chance I heard someone playing them at work and, yes, I am now a fan.

My WIP: The Liberation of Manaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalbiscuit
Can tell it's been a busy day, 121 Chrome tabs open
28.04428% on the geek test

Bile Beans keep you healthy, bright-eyed and slim
Vindikorr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #18
urluckyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindikorr View Post
Just by chance I heard someone playing them at work and, yes, I am now a fan.
Welcome to the greatest club in the world!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #19
Isaac Clarke

Oh man, I remember Daft Punk. I used to be a huge fan, but I totally forgot about them after they failed to release a new album after 8 years. Definitely excited for this new album, though.
Isaac Clarke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #20
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

This was the track that got me in to daft punk, I picked it up by accident on Vinyl for a DJ set back in like 1996 I think... Classic

View page
YouTube Video

Old 05-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #21
Isaac Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
This was the track that got me in to daft punk, I picked it up by accident on Vinyl for a DJ set back in like 1996 I think... Classic

View page
YouTube Video
Couldn't have been 1996, since the album was released in 1997. Doesn't really matter though, the song is great
Old 05-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #22
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

I wasn't even a year old when that album was released.

But oh my god I have done nothing but listen to Random Access Memories over and over. What a brilliant return!

Old 05-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #23
urluckyday

Quote:
I wasn't even a year old when that album was released.

But oh my god I have done nothing but listen to Random Access Memories over and over. What a brilliant return!
Agreed! It's oh so fresh and different - exactly what the people need right now. I was so surprised to see that you could stream the entire album from iTunes ahead of the release date, but it's absolutely great. It's also nice because it kinda forces you to listen to the album all at once which is the way that you're supposed to listen to it, so you get the full experience.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #24
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vada View Post
Couldn't have been 1996, since the album was released in 1997. Doesn't really matter though, the song is great
We're talking white label promos here most of the singles from that album were released as early as 95'

Old 05-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #25
urluckyday

There's just something so refreshing about everything Daft Punk puts out. Revolution 909 was the first song I heard from Daft Punk that wasn't on the Discovery album. That's when I knew that I LOVED Daft Punk and not just an album they did. Such a classic.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #26
Isaac Clarke

Now that I've listened to a couple of tracks on the new album, I've noticed that with Random Access Memories, Daft Punk strayed from their usual French House signature style and have incorporated a bit more pop elements. I noticed this in their other albums, too. It's been a bit of a slow transition, starting with the vocals in One More Time and Digital Love, then those in Human After All like Technologic, and now almost all of the tracks in RAM have vocals. I'm not sure what I feel about this. Honestly, Homework was their best album.

Now that I think about it, this transition reminds me of Pendulum's, from Hold Your Colour to In Silico.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #27
Vindikorr
Rookie

So Random Access Memories came out today. It's the first time I've heard it since I refuse to install iTunes on my PC. Anyway, apart from the odd few songs I really like it. What are peoples thoughts? Especially people who have been long time fans, because as you'll know if you look above, I've only just really found out about them.

Quote:

Old 05-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #28
urluckyday

This is what happens when an artist gets "tired" of making the same type of music over and over again. Daft Punk evolves with every single album they release. There is honestly no way to put your finger on what their "style" is...and that's why they're so great.

As a long-time Daft Punk fan, I can say with 100% honesty that this album was an absolutely euphoric experience for me. Daft Punk has always been about what is fresh and different - heck, not even One More Time was a runaway hit when it first came out. Just like the opening song suggests, there's just no life in music anymore. Life is about taking risks - and making music that is filled with this energy and passion is about taking risks as well. Sure, they may have alienated fans who fell in love with "One More Time" and the Discovery album as a whole, but there are plenty of other artists to fill your EDM void if that's all you're looking for - a rehash.

This album literally has EVERYTHING. Sounds from every phase of Daft Punk's lineage. On top of that, you'd be hard-pressed to find an album with better production quality - it sounds so incredibly polished.

Do yourself a favor...listen to this album as a whole - let it sink in - then listen to it again. Then form your opinions of it. I thank God that I am alive to hear such wonderful music. What an achievement.

I cannot recommend Random Access Memories highly enough. Your ears will love you for it.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #29
Vindikorr
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
This is what happens when an artist gets "tired" of making the same type of music over and over again. Daft Punk evolves with every single album they release. There is honestly no way to put your finger on what their "style" is...and that's why they're so great.

As a long-time Daft Punk fan, I can say with 100% honesty that this album was an absolutely euphoric experience for me. Daft Punk has always been about what is fresh and different - heck, not even One More Time was a runaway hit when it first came out. Just like the opening song suggests, there's just no life in music anymore. Life is about taking risks - and making music that is filled with this energy and passion is about taking risks as well. Sure, they may have alienated fans who fell in love with "One More Time" and the Discovery album as a whole, but there are plenty of other artists to fill your EDM void if that's all you're looking for - a rehash.

This album literally has EVERYTHING. Sounds from every phase of Daft Punk's lineage. On top of that, you'd be hard-pressed to find an album with better production quality - it sounds so incredibly polished.

Do yourself a favor...listen to this album as a whole - let it sink in - then listen to it again. Then form your opinions of it. I thank God that I am alive to hear such wonderful music. What an achievement.

I cannot recommend Random Access Memories highly enough. Your ears will love you for it.
Very enlightening. I will go through and listen to each track again and really hone down on each track. I agree I think that what entices me so much about Daft Punk is their very different style to anything I've listened to before. If you listen to Giorgio by Moroder at about 1:10 he talks about how he wanted to create an album spanning every era, and add new elements also.

It's about time more artists experimented with music in this way, so many new releases are so similar in both style and message they become so monotonous it makes me sad for the future of music.

Quote:

Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #30
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post

God I love your energy and vibe :L

I waited until midnight when it was activated on iTunes to get that bad boy on my iPhone...Needed it!!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #31
urluckyday

^Cheers! I picked up the Vinyl and CD versions. Once I get my own place, I'll be blastin' that baby on the turntable!

Old 05-22-2013, 02:34 AM   #32
jawathehutt
Its 5 o'clock somewhere

Current Game: Age of Empires II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindikorr View Post
So Random Access Memories came out today. It's the first time I've heard it since I refuse to install iTunes on my PC. Anyway, apart from the odd few songs I really like it. What are peoples thoughts? Especially people who have been long time fans, because as you'll know if you look above, I've only just really found out about them.
Its no discovery, but I do agree that there is a lot of good and not that much meh in it.

"Everyone that posts here is aware of the game, thanks though." ET
"It is Lucasarts"~ LordJhredmo
jawathehutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-22-2013, 03:57 AM   #33
Rtas Vadum
Behold The Envoy...

Current Game: TES 4: Oblivion/3: Morrowind
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron View Post
As do I, with my late reply. I'll probably buy the movie and soundtrack a lot sooner this time.

Anyway, I have listened to them for a while, although save for the Legacy soundtrack, I don't have any of their albums. Perhaps a song or two from Itunes, but I might consider getting RAM.

Rtas Vadum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #34
urluckyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtas Vadum View Post
As do I, with my late reply. I'll probably buy the movie and soundtrack a lot sooner this time.

Anyway, I have listened to them for a while, although save for the Legacy soundtrack, I don't have any of their albums. Perhaps a song or two from Itunes, but I might consider getting RAM.
Listen to it on Spotify or YouTube or whatever. Listen to the whole album a couple of times all at once, and then you'll best be able to decide if you enjoy it!

Old 06-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #35
Apoc Nizmith
Rookie

Current Game: Knights of the Old Republic
LOL not a huge Stynthpop guys, but they have a few good tunes. More into aggrotech, Grendel, CTRL-ALT-DEUCE, and Detroit Diesel but eh still a good band.

"My apprentice pushed me down a 362 meter shaft directly into the heart of the death star..." Darth Sidious's response as to why he left politics...
Apoc Nizmith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #36
HED
Rookie

View page
YouTube Video

I think this was my favorite track from RAM.

"HOW CAN YU TRET MEH LIKE DAT"
HED is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Daft Punk fans?