lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: What are your first impressions of The Force Awakens?
I LOVE IT! IT IS SO AWESOME!! 23 28.05%
It's great! A well done movie. 31 37.80%
Okay. It had its pros and cons. 21 25.61%
I was expecting a lot more, it failed to deliver. 6 7.32%
Downright AWFUL. I can't believe how bad it is. 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Now that you've finally seen it, what did you think of The Force Awakens?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-15-2015, 11:01 PM   #1
Lynk Former
@Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran!  Forum Veteran  Notable contributor  LF Jester 
Lightbulb Now that you've finally seen it, what did you think of The Force Awakens?

This is up a little early, but in preparation for the release of the seventh movie in the saga, here it is.

First off, I have posted a SPOILER thread here: http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=223820
Any and all discussion of spoilers for the movie are posted in that thread ONLY.

We're going to be strict about this because we really want to preserve the experience for everyone. If you want to talk about spoilers, it has to be in that thread ONLY.

I'm not even allowing marked spoilers in this thread just in case someone makes the mistake of highlighting or accidentally clicking a button or their browser decides to disregard code and shows them the spoiler anyway.

So please, we're all super hyped, but let those who are hyped but haven't seen the movie not feel worried that they're walking into a minefield in here. Thanks.

Anyway, now that you've seen The Force Awakens, what are your initial impressions of the movie? Let us know what you think

lynkformer.com | starwarsgamer.com

STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC: THE FORMER LEGACY
Ch1 | Ch2 | Ch3 | Ch4 coming soon...
Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
Jeff
@Jeff
Rating: Awesome

Current Game: SWTOR
10 year veteran!  Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer  The Walking Carpets Guild Officer  Notable contributor 
I voted option 2, but my opinion is somewhere in between 1 and 2. I really loved the movie, and I don't know what it could have done better. I have some nitpicks, but they do not lessen my enjoyment. But at the same time, it is a Star Wars movie, and doesn't do anything groundbreaking in my opinion. When I compare it to my favorite movie of the year Mad Max: Fury Road, I don't know if I can say that TFA is better, as much as I loved it. I will post my full opinions in the spoiler thread.

Follow me on Twitter
Follow StarWarsMMO.net on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
Jeff is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-20-2015, 02:01 AM   #3
RoxStar
@RoxStar

Current Game: Everything Zelda
10 year veteran!  Forum Veteran  LFN Staff Member 
Holy **** balls.

RoxStar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #4
Jae Onasi
@Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
10 year veteran!  Alderaan News Holopics contributor  Helpful!  LucasCast staff 
I give it a 4.75 out of 5.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
Niner
@Rogue Nine
You Need a Pilot

10 year veteran!  Forum Veteran  LF Jester 
5/7, almost as good as Fight Club
Rogue Nine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2015, 02:48 AM   #6
Lynk Former
@Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Seen it four times and counting. I love it more each time I see it.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
GrandMasterMarek
@GrandMasterMarek
Rookie

Current Game: Star Wars The Force Unleashed
I thought it was absolutely awesome.

The force lives forever it is what we do with it that reveals who we really are a path is made once you walk down it the near is no going back it defines your destiny & future.
GrandMasterMarek is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
Miltiades
@Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member  The Walking Carpets Guild Member  Forum Veteran  Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I voted option 2, but my opinion is somewhere in between 1 and 2. I really loved the movie, and I don't know what it could have done better. I have some nitpicks, but they do not lessen my enjoyment. But at the same time, it is a Star Wars movie, and doesn't do anything groundbreaking in my opinion. When I compare it to my favorite movie of the year Mad Max: Fury Road, I don't know if I can say that TFA is better, as much as I loved it. I will post my full opinions in the spoiler thread.
This is pretty much how I feel. Except that I prefer it over Fury Road, even though I realize the latter's probably the better movie. When the dust settles and I've seen the movie countless times, I think it'll settle itself nicely between the OT movies in my personal ranking.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2015, 04:13 PM   #9
igyman
@igyman
Comedy Gold!

Current Game: Overwatch
Forum Veteran  Helpful!  Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I'm between options 2 and 3, but I'm leaning more towards number 2, so that's what I voted for. Even if there's a solid number of things the movie could have done better, it was pretty well done and quite entertaining as a whole.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-26-2015, 04:03 PM   #10
JasraLantill
@JasraLantill
No One Liners

Current Game: SWOTR
The Walking Carpets Guild Member  Alderaan News Holopics contributor  LFN Staff Member  Roleplayer 
It's a very good Star Wars movie, and I think Disney and JJ Abrams did a pretty good job overall. I certainly wasn't disappointed. I'll probably see it again just so I can pay attention to all the little bits I kind of missed because I was too busy just following the plot, but probably won't see it a third time in the theatre. 4.5/5 stars

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. (I came, I saw, I stuck around)
Old 12-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #11
Sabretooth
@Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
It was okay.

They stole a plot point from one of my fanfics. I know I'd invited Abrams to read my fanfiction but he could at least mention me in the credits.

Sabretooth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #12
jonathan7
@jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding  LFN Staff Member  Veteran Modder  Helpful! 
I was between 1 and 2 - I'd put it joint second on my 7 Star Wars films, with only Empire being better.

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2015, 01:18 AM   #13
Lynk Former
@Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do... guess it's good to be proven wrong, I was sure that this'd be, at best, an okay movie, but it's amazing.

The biggest issue most people will have with it is that "it's too familiar" but I understand why it is like that and I actually like the way they used that element to tell their story with these new characters.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #14
Char Ell
@Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member  Folder extraordinaire  Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
The biggest issue most people will have with it is that "it's too familiar" but I understand why it is like that and I actually like the way they used that element to tell their story with these new characters.
I enjoyed TFA and based on the movie's record breaking box office performance, am glad that so many others did as well. I guess I'm still not sure how I feel about all the parallels between TFA and the originals. On the one hand, these elements are what makes Star Wars the fictional universe so many love. On the other hand, it seems so formulaic that I can't help but ask the question "Is that all it really takes?" At this point there are still so many unanswered questions that I feel I will need to see Episode VIII and maybe even IX before I can properly place TFA in my personal Star Wars pantheon. 2017 May 26 can't come quickly enough.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #15
Totenkopf
@Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member  The Walking Carpets Guild Member  Forum Veteran 
It was ok overall, not great and not horrible. Hopefully some of the questions this one raised will be dealt w/in the next film.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #16
Lynk Former
@Lynk Former
internet hate machine

If people want answers, a lot of them may already be answered in TFA itself. Go over to the TFA spoiler thread in the Star Wars Gamer forum and ask away.

Remember, we've only had this movie for a few weeks, on the other hand, we've had the OT for a few decades. It's going to take a while before we become intimately familiar with it like we are with the OT.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:33 AM   #17
Qui-Gon Glenn
@Qui-Gon Glenn
Digory Kirke's Bafflement

Current Game: KotOR awww yeah
Folder extraordinaire  Helpful!  Forum Veteran  Veteran Modder 
Second worst film in the saga. Only AotC was worse. A Phantom Menace was marginally better, despite Jar Jar.

Want to play a game of ME3MP?
Qui-Gon_Glenn
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #18
Kitty Kitty
@Kitty Kitty

Current Game: KotOR series (yet again)
Voted right in the middle. Didn't love it, didn't hate it.

Can't really get more specific without spoilers, so we'll just leave it at that.

Cheers,
-Kitt

Kitty Kitty is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-16-2016, 02:22 AM   #19
Taos
@Taos
Jedi Council Member

Current Game: ToR
LFN Staff Member  Forum Veteran 
My expectations were high and it was sure nice to not be let down. I'm going to see it for a third time this weekend....I voted for the second option.

Edit - ok, now I actually voted.

Taos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #20
CaptainDread
@CaptainDread

I'm actually sticking to my guns on this one and not watching it until it comes out on DVD. Majority opinions are good about it though, and it doesn't take much to please me, so I'll probably like it once I see it.
CaptainDread is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #21
Lynk Former
@Lynk Former
internet hate machine

That's too bad. It's a much different experience watching at a cinema with other people than it is watching it alone. Every time I went to see it at the cinema (5 times) it was great to get the audience reactions to everything happening on screen.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #22
Kurgan
@Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member  10 year veteran! 
The short version of my thoughts is that it was just an average movie. I didn't think it was terrible, but not great either, and certainly not deserving of all the hype and critical praise.

I went in to the theater with rock bottom expectations, and I didn't care about the EU legacy, didn't look at spoilers (now I see it wouldn't have mattered), and still felt the same.

I think Disney/Abrams must have seen the criticism of the prequels and gotten scared, so they swung too far the other way and said "let's copy the original movies." If I were conspiracy minded I'd say many of the critics (and online reviewers) were bought off. Frankly, I don't buy the logic that copying the original movies means it's just as good (or better, because of "updated special effects" and young actors).

I didn't hate this movie, I actually felt it was more "even" overall than the Prequels (which were to a me a mix of great action sequences and some cringe-worthy moments of "comedy" and "romance"), it just was underwhelming. They had so much to go on and squandered so many opportunities. Here, we have a remake of ANH with a guy who looks like Napoleon Dynamite doing an impression of Hayden Christianson being a wannabe Vader, a female Luke/Han with little room to grow and then a young Denzel Washington, who, despite his looks and huge potential as a character, acts like a tv comic relief sidekick. Copying a few beats from ESB and ROTJ is not a crime, but basically copying the whole first movie and pretending it's a logical sequel was a pretty bad move I thought. There were no great revelations, just a big nostalgia trip mixed in with a lack of creativity and real risk taking. Since I've already seen the likes of Galaxy Quest and Fanboys, maybe this isn't the type of movie that I really needed to see.

Looking back through the eyes of a SW fan, as opposed to a casual movie-goer, I can complain about how it dumps on the legacy of ROTJ's ending, hitting the big reset button, swerving us just to swerve us, and reboot everything just to sell us old toys with a new paintjob. Sure, this will re-ignite Star Wars fandom for awhile, but it just feels like such a scam. It's like people don't even remember the original films and praise this thing to the moon when it's just an average sci fi action film. People will like what they like, but I have to laugh at how goofy the whole thing is. The old movies weren't perfect, and Lucas himself made a lot of mistakes in the prequels, but these movies, once the dust settles and people calm down with the nostalgia, won't be remembered so fondly, I predict. People will remember how they felt with all the anticipation and excitement, much like many of us remember the excitement and anticipation for Episode I, and the sobering reality of how average the actual production was. As I walk past toy aisles full of Kylo Ren masks and flametroopers, I'm having flashbacks to 1999 again. Here's hoping the next two will be better and more original, but don't hold your breath.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn

Last edited by Kurgan; 02-04-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2016, 05:01 AM   #23
Redwing
@Redwing
thedeadlymoose

10 year veteran!  LFN Staff Member  Forum Veteran  LF Jester 
I loved it, really loved it, but that ironically kept me away from this community for a little while. I saw that it had flaws, and that it also had plus points which old-school/hardcore fans would see as negative points, and the initial spoiler reviews I read were from old-school/hardcore fans who were universally disappointed (some to the point of extreme bitterness) and I found that I didn't want to hear about it. Ahaha.

I didn't do it consciously, and I may have been very silly to do so at all! But so it goes.

Forum A-Wing pilot of mysterious and indistinct gender. Aresener now and forever.

Behold, the ancient RP forums!
RS / XWA / SWG / GB / KOTOR / JKII / JKII-S / SWBF
Redwing is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #24
Katarn07
@Katarn07
Rebel Agent

Great post, Kurgan. I agree 100%. It was an entertaining movie. I liked a lot of things in it. But overall. Meh. I just don't care. I've only watched it once and I don't intend on watching it again. I have no desire to.

"The Force is strong with Katarn...." - Darth Vader, Star Wars: Dark Forces
Katarn07 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #25
CaptainDread
@CaptainDread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
That's too bad. It's a much different experience watching at a cinema with other people than it is watching it alone. Every time I went to see it at the cinema (5 times) it was great to get the audience reactions to everything happening on screen.
I know what you mean about the audience. I saw the Doctor Who 30th anniversary special in the theater, and it was definitely a fun experience (especially with the reveal at the end - with the theater erupting in applause and a child confusedly asking his father who that man was).

My local bargain theater is running The Force Awakens this weekend, so I'm going to be seeing it in the cinema after all.
CaptainDread is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > LucasForums - Polls > Now that you've finally seen it, what did you think of The Force Awakens?